Chapter 1

Stay

Chapter 1

Baekhyun's POV

Someone is crying. A girl. Not a pretty kind of crying, like actresses do. Sobbing, gasping for air. Crying hard. I have to wake up. I have to help her, whoever she is. I force my eyes to open, but I don’t see anyone. I see a white wall with machine attached to it. I try to reach out for the emergency button which is over my head. But then the crying suddenly stops. Where is she, the crying girl? I have to find her. Something is wrong, really wrong. I try to sit up, get out from bed, but I can’t. My legs are trapped somehow; I’m lying flat on a bed and I can’t move. I can’t speak. I can’t move my head. My heart is racing fast. What is happening to me?

 

My throat is killing me. So dry, raw, I couldn’t even swallow my saliva. It’s the worst sore throat I’ve ever had. I opened my eyes. Where’s everyone? What time is it? What day was it? Where am I? I felt like I was lying at a strange angle, I was on my stomach, I could see the floor below me. It seemed that I’m floating there and I couldn’t move. I saw the tile floor under me; it was green and white. I’m falling, I thought. But I’m not falling. I’m hanging.

I out.

When I woke up again, I was looking at white tiles, ceiling tiles this time. I knew one thing; I am in a hospital. It is quiet around me. I should hear some kind of machine running, pumping right next to my head. There was a steady beeping sound on the other side. I was able to look around a little bit but not much. Something circled around my head something white and big. I could see it if I moved my eyes all the way from the left to right, but I couldn’t actually turn my head. I tried to touch my face. But my hand couldn’t move, there was something across my wrist, holding it down. I couldn’t look down to see it. Same goes for my other wrist. What’s going on? Who did this to me? Why?

There was a woman somewhere in her 40’s which I assume a nurse stand next to my bed when I woke up again. She was holding my arm and staring at a machine. I managed to look at my arm at her hand and it looked okay but it felt funny, like it was covered in a layer of blubber. “Ahhhhhhh,” I said to her. She looked over me and smiled. I felt my muscle relax. Thank God, an actual person to tell me what was going on. “How are you doing Baekhyun sshi?” she asked me, but then looked away like it was no big deal that I was awake. Had I been here long? “Ahhhhhhh,” I tried again. The nurse patted my arm and say “You’re okay,” then slid my arm under something that looked like a wide belt across the bed. She takes out something metal under my bed. “Here we go,” she said softly, then somehow my bed turned at a ninety degree angle.  I thought that I would fall off the bed but I didn’t. I just lay there rigid, strapped to the bed, looking at a wall and a doorway.

After rolling me sideways, the nurse left me without even asking me if I want some water. I heard high-heeled clicking on the floor and saw a tall and thin woman who is wearing red long jacket or something walking past my doorway and went into the room next to mine. The walls here are not too thick that I can hear almost everything of their conversation. “Hello, sweetie!”  The women in red said brightly. “I bought you your favourite flower, daisies. Look how tiny they are? They’re called miniature daisies. I thought you must be like them,” I like her accent. It sounded like American-Korean. I heard her pull a chair across the floor and began to tell someone about her day. I waited for the person she was talking to response but she said nothing. Her voice got softer as she went on. I could tell she loved the person she was talking to. I feel bored and closed my eyes for a second and when I opened them again, I was still staring at the same wall.

“So you’re awake,” a voice floated to me from somewhere I can’t see. “I’m your neighbour, Taeyeon. Kim Taeyeon. I already know your name is Byun Baekhyun. Don’t bother trying to talk. You have a respirator tube in,” I heard something being rolled and then there was a girl in front of me. A petite girl with huge dark eyes. “And by the way, you’re paralyzed, in case no one has told you yet.”

 No. That couldn’t be right. I’m not paralyzed. I could move. I tried to wiggle my hands, but my wrists were strapped down. I wasn’t paralyzed, just strapped in. I tried to lift my fingers to show her, but I wasn’t sure they were moving.

Taeyeon rolled her IV stand to the chair in the corner and gathered her hospital robe around her petite body as she sat. “Sorry if you didn’t know. I’m sure you’re upset. I’m a dancer, so if that happened to me, if I’m paralyzed, I would just . . . I don’t know what I would do,” she said quietly.

I’m not paralyzed! I wanted to yell at her. Get out, just get out. Why would she come in here and start telling me these horrible stuffs like it was no big deal?

“You were riding your mountain bike when you had an accident. I heard if from your parents,” she stared at me. “Do you remember?” this time she stared hard at my face like I could answer. “Just blink once for yes and twice for no,” she sighed.

I tried hard to remember what the last thing was before . . . here. It was foggy, like a dream the morning after you sleep too much. I remember Chanmi, my girlfriend. Her caramel chocolate hair blowing in her eyes, she’s watching me. Chanyeol and I are doing jumps at a dirt bike trail in the woods. The next scene seems blurry in my mind. Suddenly I remember. Something bad had happened. Someone got hurt. Someone was crying.

Taeyeon’s voice cut through my thoughts. “I didn’t think you remember it, not yet. It will probably come back to you later. That’s how it was for me.” I wanted her to stop talking so that I can recall what was going on that day. But my thoughts were all scrambled.

Taeyeon watched me, her pale face looked sad for a second then she stood up and pulled her IV stand behind her. “It’s almost 6. That means your mom will be here soon, she always comes around then,” and she left without saying anything, even goodbye.

“There’s my boy,” at the sound of mom’s voice, I woke up. Had I’ve been sleeping? Was it still the same day? Wasn’t that girl just here? “Hi Hyunnie” mom looked straight at my face. She was acting normal, looking so normal in her same old clothes, her long navy wool coat, it was like she had just come home and found me sitting on the couch watching TV. She pulled a chair and sat right beside me, pushing my hair out of my face. “I know you’ll hate me for saying this but I think we should do something about this hair. Trust me it will drive you crazy,” Her face was calm; she was smiling a little bit, looking me right in the eyes. What is everybody acting so normal? Didn’t they get it? I am lost, I felt like I had amnesia.  She sat at where is for a few minutes while staring at me delightfully. “Oh. Should I leave you guys for a moment?” the voice of a lady echoed through the empty spaces in the room. Mom looked at her way and said “Actually I have to leave early today, so I’ll just say goodbye and let you get to work,” with that she kissed my cheek and gave me a smile before she leave. 

The nurse waved to her as she left. “Your mom is a good lady,” she said softly, checking something on the monitor screen beside me. “Not everyone is lucky like you. There’s one mother who is always busy with her work and rarely visited her daughter,” she motioned her head to the wall that separated my room and Taeyeon’s. After writing something on the paper that is in her hand she patted my arm as if she was telling me that  I’m doing fine. “Get rest now,” she winked at me and left the room. I stared at the white ceiling, trying to remember what is going on. Is this reality or just a dream?

This can’t be happening, this is just a dream. A nightmare.  I close my eyes and tried to wake myself up from this dream. But l I ended staring at the same white ceiling. This isn’t real. This isn’t real. This isn’t real.

 


Since this is my first chapter of my first fanfic, believe it or not, I've been infront of my laptop for 4 hours. Thinking, typing and checking for any typos or errors available. them if they're still there

26/6/15