Settling In

Royals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Like My Mother

"Today's class will be on Fairies." Professor Withers reaches under his desk and brings up a large jar full of what looks like twinkling butterflies. A few girls in the room "ooh".

"Fairies are very vain creatures, often vain enough to let us wizards use them as decoration. You can often see them grooming themselves." I half listen as Professor Withers goes on with his lesson.

Unfortunately for him he has the tendency to drone on and on and soon I notice Tae's eyelids drooping beside me. I flick him in the arm with my pencil and Jimin snickers behind me as Tae jumps in his seat. "Yes Taehyung? You have a question?"

Taehyung clears his throat and shoots me and evil glare. "Uh no, sorry my arm just fell asleep, my bad."

"Oh I see no trouble, no trouble at all. Now where was I?" No one answers and its either because they weren't paying attention or they frankly don't feel like listening to him anymore. "Ah, must not be important. Shall I let them out to roam about all ready?"

We all agree, happy to not have to hear him anymore. Professor Withers in caps the jar and they all come fluttering out. They all kind of find a place to sit within the room so they can continue to groom themselves. One flutters it's way towards me and I stick my hand out so she has a seat. She sits cross-legged in the palm of my hand, but instead of playing with her hair or something she just sort of looks at me. She's really quite small with pretty soft features to her tiny face. Her dress is made of flower petals I've never seen before.

Now let me get this straight, I can’t actually speak animals despite what the nuns at Madame Kinney’s may think. What I actually do is send the animals calming vibes so they aren’t afraid to approach me and from there I speak to them as if they could understand me, which I knew they couldn’t, but living in the orphanage I needed friends to talk to and the animals in the courtyard were the only living creatures who would listen.

I send a happy vibe the fairy’s way. She tilts her head at me and I copy her action. She makes this high pitched buzz sound and suddenly all the fairies are flying over to my desk. They start playing with my hair, braiding it even. The fairy in my hand flies off out of the classroom window as the others braid and returns with one of those yellow weed flowers. She places it in behind my ear and I smile as she returns to her seat on my hand. I giggle, "Why thank you." She flutters her wings in a way that makes them buzz as if she's laughing. Then she waves goodbye and with her fellow fairies flies out of the window.

"Did fairies just pamper you?" asks Professor Withers in disbelief. I look around and see all eyes on me.

"Um, I guess?"

Professor Withers suddenly laughs snapping everyone's attention towards him in surprise. I don't think any of us have seen old Professor Withers ever smile let alone laugh. "You're just like your mother Miss Greywood."


 

The Three Wise

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter