Chapter One

We Destroy Ourselves

CHAPTER ONE

    “Hurry up, Seyi, we’re going to miss the best part of the night!” My friend, Minsoo, tugged me through the crowd that was cheering excitedly. Joy and eagerness flooded through me.

 

   One of the Knights had caught a Witch this morning, disguising as a traveler from the North Mountains, and she was to be burned soon.

 

My head was spinning, my blood running quicker as my heart pumped faster.

 

The had this coming, daring to come into our lands. We’ll show her what happens when a Vermin messes with us.

    

    We had reached the front of the crowd which had been silenced by an Executor with a swift motion of his hand. Holding everyone’s attention, he cleared his throat and leaned on his axe, gazing at the crowd before saying,

 

    “It is my duty as an Executor to punish those who choose to go against the Law. This Vermin had managed to squirm her disgusting self through the Borders illegally and therefore, shall be put to death.” The crowd erupted into applause and whooping. I glanced at the Vermin, who was tied to the cross with its sharp face clouded with fear. It lifted its head up and made eye contact with me and I felt violated from my head to my toes. How dare it look at me. Disgusting.

 

    “I shall now commence this demon’s punishment! Begone and away, vile creature, and descend into Hell where you shall be burned with crueler flames than you will experience on this land. Begone!” With that, he took out a lighter and burned the hay underneath the Vermin’s feet.

 

    “Please,” The Vermin pleaded, “Please, I-I was only trying to find my son- he was taken by you Mundanes and I just-” She screamed in pain as the flames crawled up her legs. The crowd cried out in satisfaction. “Please, my son, he’s done no harm to you people,”

“Shut up you !” Someone yelled from the audience.

    It writhed in pain, the smell of burned flesh filled the air. That beautiful, absolutely beautiful, smell.

 

    “Cut off her head!” Minsoo cried out next to me and soon we were all chanting ‘off with her head’. The Executor smirked and raised his axe. Lifting it over his head, he swung down with an agile motion and severed the monster’s head from its’ neck. The crowd went wild. He grabbed its head that fell at his feet by its hair and lifted it up for all to see.

 

    The crowd cheered.

 

    I gazed up at the scene in awe.

 

    Yes, it was beautiful. The smell of a Vermin’s burning skin filled the air, it's pitiful head dripping blood onto the ground, it’s body limp on the cross.

 

    It was beautiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I WAS GOING TO MAKE THIS CHAPTER LONG BUT I DECIDED TO END IT HERE HEH HEH.

 

I HOPE YOU LIKE IT SO FAR… ALTHOUGH IT IS KINDA GRUESOME…

 

LOOK FORWARD TO THE NEXT CHAPTER O/