Seven Seconds

Choices

A/N: Wow have I not updated this in a LOOOOOONG time. Hehehehe. Here is a longer oneshot than all my previous ones as an apology:P

----------

I'm sure the whole world hates me now. I mean, here I am, breaking the school rules of having a part time job and there he is, the student council vice president just sitting there, sipping his ice americano with less ice. I'm glad that my duty today is to be inside the kitchen where no one could see me and bake cakes.

Then my short moment of relief just had to die out because one of the workers called in sick and now I have to be outside serving the damn coffee to people with my 180cm height for the whole world to see. Especially that damn vice president, Jung Taekwoon.

I walked out of the kitchen with my head looking down, hoping for some sort of miracle that even though Taekwoon was sitting right in front of the cashier, he wouldn't see me and perhaps just leave quietly and not report this to the principal. 

That all came crashing down when Taekwoon and I locked eyes. He looked surprised for a split second before it turned to it's usual stoic expression. I gulped and cleared my throat, turning my attention to the customer who walked into the cafe. Smiling at the young lady, I took her order and started making her drink. When I turned around to walk to her table, there was a pair of eyes staring holes into me.

Yikes.

I quickly walked to the customer with a bright smile on my face. I placed her drink on the table and as I was about to head back to my post, she held my apron.

"Ca--can I-- get yo--your number?" She timidly asked with her head low and her fist clenching around my apron, shaking a little.

I smiled at this cute act, blushing a little feeling flattered that she likes me, who is a complete stranger. I kneeled in front of her and looked into her eyes.

"I would love to, but I have regulations I must follow. Maybe when we get to know each other, I can give you my number, as a friend." She gave a nod and shyly smiled back. I replied her smile with a wink before walking to the counter. The moment I reached the counter, I saw that Taekwoon had already left, I was relieved but mildly disappointed.

Ok I was very disappointed I mean if I was going to get caught anyway, must as well just stare at him as much as I can since he was right smack in front of me.

 

"Cha Hakyeon of class 3-2, please come to the principal's office now. I repeat, Cha Hakyeon of class 3-2, please come to the principal's office now."

"Hakyeon! Have you finally decided to come to the dark side?"

"Shut up Sanghyuk." 

I sighed as Sanghyuk started giggling and chanting about going to the dark side.

"It's probably cause of my part time job. I saw Taekwoon yesterday and he probably reported me. You know, because he is the freaking vice president and all." I got up from the long table and took my tray of empty plates and cups (because Sanghyuk is a lazy ) to the trays return area.

"Good luck have fun!" Sanghyuk waved at me with a cheeky smile. I scoffed and rolled my eyes as I made my way to the principal's office.

 

"Sir?" I cautiously knocked on the door, "you wanted to see me?"

"Come in."

I twisted the doorknob and pushed the wooden door open. The principal was inside, sitting on his office chair with his hands clasped lightly on the table. The door closed behind me with a loud bang, startling me a little.

Ok not a little because I almost tripped myself but no one has to know that.

Except the principal who was secretly laughing because I could see it in his face.

"A student reported that you have a part time job outside of school. Is that true?"

I didn't answer.

"Well, if you admit now, your punishment would be less servere."

Something got caught in my throat.

"Could you at least tell me if you are in need of money."

I nodded.

"Why is that so?"

His voice was soothing, like he actually cared. It's not like he is some evil principal but he did have the power to expell me.

"My mother is sick and I have three younger siblings." I would have said further but my eyes were getting teary and my throat was dry. 

"I see," he pondered quietly. I anxiously waited for his reply, my foot tapping on the floor.

Just at that moment, the door opened to reveal a tall student with his uniform about to pop open because he was to ripped.

Oh my gosh Hakyeon, this is not the time to be all heart eyes get your act together.

I mentally shook my head and nodded towards the student's direction, acknowledging his presence. The principal was about to say something when the student spoke in a soft, low voice.

"I have spoken to the chairman of this school, he has agreed to over look this because Hakyeon has a valid reason. However, he must do forty hours of community service as a punishment for breaking the school rules."

That was the longest I've ever heard Taekwoon talk.

The principal looked like he was in thought when Taekwoon handed him a piece of paper. The piece of paper was probably some sort of approval letter or something because the principal had the biggest smile on his face.

"Well then, this changes everything," he said. "Well, Hakyeon, you heard what Taekwoon said. You can keep your job but as punishment, you have to do forty hours of community service. Is that alright with you?" 

I nodded my head vigorously like head banging. My mouth broke into a smile and skipped outside the office. Taekwoon followed quietly behind and was about to walk the other way when I pulled his arm.

"Wait! I haven't thank you yet!" I shouted and the students standing in the corridor was staring at me but who cares.

He shifted uncomfortably under all the stares but stayed where he was. I took a deep breath and looked at him in the eye.

"Thank you so much! I really needed the job and I definitely need to graduate. You literally saved my life thank you!" I pulled him into a bear hug and.....

DID I JUST HUG HIM?

I quickly pulled away and tumbled backwards, I would have fallen if not for a strong arm that wrapped around my waist. 

We stayed in that awkward position for a while. All I could see was Taekwoon's face and feel his warm arm firmly wrapped around me.

"Hakyeon! You practising for prom or something?" A mocking voice snapped the both of us into reality and we seperated ourselves much to my disappointment.

I looked to the source of that voice to see a smirking Hongbin walking towards us.

"Go away Hongbin. He just saved me from falling that's all." 

Hongbin stuck out his tongue childishly at me and slung his arm around me.

"Come on, class is starting in a minute!" He pulled my arm away from a still stunned Taekwoon and we made our way to class.

 

"Wait, doesn't that mean that it wasn't Taekwoon who reported you? I mean he saved your ." 

I stopped packing my things as my mind played today's and yesterday's events. 

"Then who?" 

Sanghyuk shrugged his shoulders. Hongbin stood up from his seat and sat on my table.

"Did any other students visit the cafe or passed by?"

It was my turn to shrug. I couldn't think of any student I could recognise or any customer that would report me. I brushed aside and got up from my seat. It didn't matter anyway, I could keep my job and only had to do community service as punishment.

Skipping happily, l reached the cafe with a light heart. I changed into the cafe uniform and put on my apron when I noticed a girl standing outside the cafe, wearing a school uniform. 

The uniform is from my school.

Why does that girl look familiar...

Oh Taekwoon!

Taekwoon walked towards the girl and was talking to her. The girl had a guilty look on her face. She said something to Taekwoon and ran off.

"Welcome!" 

Taekwoon nodded slightly at me and walked towards the counter.

"Ice americano, less ice please." 

"Do you always order the same thing?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean yesterday you ordered the same thing."

"But you weren't the one who took my order yesterday."

Busted.

My eyes wandered everywhere but Taekwoon, my brain trying to come up with a reason.

"I err... Over heard your order," I nodded at the sensible reasoning I came up with. There was no way I was going to tell him I was sticking my ear to the kitchen door to hear his rare voice.

I think he bought my lie because he simply nodded and walked to the table he sat the day before. I made his drink and walked to him and placed the drink on his table. After contemplating for ten seconds, I pulled out a chair and sat opposite him.

"Shouldn't you be working."

"Well, my job is to serve the customers and currently, only you are the customer." 

The cafe was empty except for the two of them. The owner was inside the kitchen baking the last batch of cakes before the dinner crowd comes in.

"But really, thank you Taekwoon. You're my life saver. How can I ever repay you?" 

He was quiet, playing with the water droplets that formed on the cup of his coffee.

Condensation has occurred because the cafe is warmer than the ice coffee....

I hate school.

He looked up to me and his hand reached out to me, his hand inches away from my face.

"Give me seven seconds," he spoke up. "You have to stay still and no matter what, do not move."

I tilted my head in confusion but nodded anyway. He did something so great for me, giving him seven seconds was nothing.

"Close your eyes."

Following his request, I closed my eyes.

7.

I could hear him move.

6.

The smell of coffee invaded my nose.

5.

My lips felt his warm lips.

4.

He tasted bitter yet so sweet.

3.

I opened my eyes when we parted. Our lips only a mere thread away.

2.... 1

We kept staring at each other until his cheeks turned extremely red and walked back to his seat.

"I love you."

"I'm pretty sure as the one who kissed you, I should have confessed first."

"I love you I love you I love you I--"

He interrupted me as he placed a kiss on my lips from across the table, knocking the empty plastic cup off the table.

 

"So that girl reported me?"

"Yeah, she figured if you quit, you will have time after school and she could try talking to her. She said sorry."

"Hmm. But without her, I wouldn't know you went to the chairman to plead my case."

"I'm not a lawyer."

I chuckled at that and rested my head on his shoulder. My younger siblings have finally fallen asleep and I invited Taekwoon to stay for the night, especially since it was raining heavily.

"I love you." I snuggled towards him.

"I love you too." He spoke in a soft low voice.

"Hey Hakyeon."

I hummed in response, feeling sleepy.

"Can you give me seven seconds?"

"Sure."

 

Second year Taekwoon was crying behind the tree at the school courtyard. His pet dog had died the day before and he was beyond depressed. Taekwoon was known for being stoic, cool and calm, there was no way he could show how sad he was.

Just then, a voice came from behind.

"Hey, you ok?"

Taekwoon recognised that voice. It was from his classmate. He wanted to say he was fine, he didn't want anyone to know he was crying in school.

"I know you're crying. I don't know who you are because you're hiding behind the tree but I can make you feel better!" The cheerful voice was enough to make my tears stop but I was still sad.

"Give me seven seconds."

Taekwoon waited for seven seconds, only to realise that the boy was gone. He wiped any remaining tears and looked behind the tree. There was a stuff toy, or more specifically, a dog.

Taekwoon looked up to see the student's back, his arms full of stuff animals and gave one to a student who was lying on the field after practising soccer.

"Cha Hakyeon." Taekwoon said the name of the kind student.

----------

2000+ words! Hope you liked it:P