Chapter 2- A ray of light

Tomorrow May Not Exist

The sunlight seeped in through Jinhwan's bedroom window, shining delicately onto his face. He could hear a lot of noise, and surprisingly, it wasn't his alarm. A lot of chatter and excitement seemed to be taking place outside, so Jinhwan quickly rushed out of bed to see what all the noise was about. He peeped outside his window, and couldn't believe his eyes. Kids were running around playing and enjoying the sunshine, family and friends were hanging out, it was like a huge social gathering on the street. It had been a long time since Jinhwan had seen his street so happy and full of life. He quickly went to the bathroom and got changed. What was so different about today? He ran downstairs and out the door, and he had never seen so much happiness in one place. But, this was Jinhwan we are taking about, and he wasn't planning on staying for long, this was TOO much happiness for him to handle. He quickly walked up to the mailbox to get the morning mail, and as soon as his back was turned, he felt a huge weight hit his head. "WHO IN THE HELL THREW THAT" he yelled out. Slowly, someone came out from behind a parked car. He was wearing a white snapback, a black and white sweater, and some nike trainers. Jinhwan had never seen him before, and was a little intrigued, but not as much as he was angry.

"Woah sorry man, I was just playing football with the kids, and I suppose we got carried away" the mystery man said.

"I've never seen you around here before...who are you?" JInhwan asked.

"Oh, I'm Kim Hanbin! I live in the house opposite yours, we just moved in yesterday!" Hanbin exclaimed. They had only been talking for about 20 seconds, but Jinhwan was already 1000% done with the conversation, Hanbin was too smiley and happy for Jinhwan's liking.

"And you are?" Hanbin asked.

"Not interested" Jinhwan replied.

"Yeah your face shows that" Hanbin said sarcastically. JInhwan was already getting very irritated with Hanbin, and he didn't even know him.

"Anyway, I'll be seeing you later?" Hanbin asked

"What's happening later??" Jinhwan raised his eyebrows

"Dinner at your house obviously! I'm your new neighbor, you have to invite me to a dinner party, it's like...tradition" Hanbin said

"What???"

"Anyway, I'll see you about 6-ish?? Actually no, I'm busy so I'll see you at 8, make sure you make some nice food ok? Bye!!" And with finishing on that note, Hanbin left.

Jinhwan was SHOCKED. "Who the hell did this Hanbin guy think he is?? I can't believe he literally just INVITED himself over. I'm gonna have to actually hold a dinner party because he is actually going to show up, what a douche" Jinhwan thought to himself.

Never in his life had Jinhwan encountered someone like Hanbin, and he wasn't planning on this encounter happening again. After collecting the mail, Jinhwan went up to his room and rang his friend Taehyun, ranting as soon as he answered the phone.

"So are you saying he invited HIMSELF?"  Taehyun asked

"YES oh my god he wouldn't even let me get a word in edge ways, he is so IRRITATING. Anyway, I need you to come over tonight. I can't handle this guy by myself"

"Mmm....no can do tonight Jin, me and Mino have something planned"

"Bring Mino along too then!!"

"Hmmm I could, but I won't. We need some alone time...if you are picking up what I'm putting down"

"Oh my god you are literally useless Taehyun, I'll ask Jiwon instead. Bye" Jinhwan put the phone down and immediately rang Jiwon.

"AYYYYYYYY" Jiwon yelled

"WOW
you are louder than usual today. Anyway, are you free tonight?"

"oHOHOHOHO Jinhwan, what do you need me for tonight hey? Are you feeling lonely? You need me to come over? huuhuhuhuh" Jinhwan could feel Jiwon smirking through the phone.

"Don't flatter yourself, I just wanted to ask if you wanted to come to this stupid dinner party thing, my dumb new neighbour literally just arranged it out of nowhere, and I can't handle him alone" Jinhwan explained

"Oooooohhh, I would come but I have a lot of things to do today. Just tell him to not come over! Who is this guy anyway?" Jiwon asked

"I don't even know, he LITERALLY just came out of nowhere. Anyway, I'm not taking no for an answer, be here for 8" Jinhwan instructed

"But Jinhwan-!" Jinhwan quickly put the phone down in frustration. He ruffled his hair angrily. Why was he going through all this trouble for a guy he literally met 30 minutes ago?

The evening rolled around quickly, and before Jinhwan knew it, there was a huge knock on the door."Oh God, I bet that is that stupid Hanbin" he thought to himself. He took a deep breath, and opened it to find Hanbin, standing there.

"Why did you take so long opening the door? Ooh that smells good, let me get inside, close the door darling" Hanbin said as he moved past Jinhwan into his home. Jinhwan was so confused, shocked and surprised all at the same time. Before he knew it, Hanbin was causing chaos in the kitchen.

"EWW Jinhwan this is so salty, can't you cook?? Here let me help you" he called out.

"What are you doing????" Jinhwan proclaimed, as he watched Hanbin add all sorts of spices and herbs to his cooking.

"Here say ahhhhhh" Hanbin said as he shoved a spoon into Jinhwan's mouth "It tastes 100 times better doesn't it? I'm such a CHEF" Hanbin exclaimed.

"Wait, how did you find out my name? I don't remember telling it to you" Jinhwan asked.

"It took me AGES, but I just asked my next door neighbour" Hanbin explained.

"Ooh you got a text from someone called Jiwon, is this your boyfriend?" Hanbin said, peeking at Jinhwan's phone"

"He's just a friend! And how dare you? That's my private business! Now give me my phone"Jinhwan snapped as he tried to get the phone back. The pair engaged in a game of Tug-of-War.

"Just.....let.....me.....see!!" Hanbin stammered. Hanbin quickly let go of the phone, which went flying and landed in Jinhwan's soup pot. Hanbin burst out laughing, and had to sit on the floor because he was laughing so much.

"NOOOOOOOO MY PHONE!!!" Jinhwan yelled. "Do you think this is funny??"

"Normal...Normal people find situations like this funny" Hanbin giggled, barely being able to talk from laughing so much.

"So what are you trying to say? I'm not normal??" Jinhwan angrily asked

"If you're normal, then I'm Bruce Lee. WATCHHAAAAA" Hanbin laughed

"Well, according to me, you're the one who isn't normal, since morning you've been acting as if you've known me for years" Jinhwan exclaimed

"Not years darling, EONS. In fact, I feel we share a bond that transcends several life times" Hanbin said as he put his arm around Jinhwan.

"Listen, you're our neighbor, so act like one!" Jinhwan said as he shook him off

"Ok, ding dong!!! Can i borrow some milk?" Hanbin asked as he stood up

"What are you doing?" Jinhwan asked, now getting even more irrtated than he was before.

"You said to act like your neighbor so I'm acting like one! Can I borrow some milk?" Hanbin smiled

"hahahahahahah so funny, see please take this happy-go-lucky nature of yours and knock on someone else's door, because I am genuinely not interested, and I'm warning you-"

"Shhhhhh" Hanbin interrupted

"What happened?" Jinhwan asked

"What's your problem?" Hanbin replied.

"Problem?" Jinhwan asked

"Yes, why do you feel that your weak shoulders have to bear the weight of the entire world? What do you think of yourself, to be so angry ALL the time? Who are you?" Hanbin asked, getting a little serious.

"Listen you-"

"Shhh grumpy" Hanbin interrupted. " What's the point of wishing on stars when you have everything you need right here?"

"Excuse me, what do you know about my life anyway?" Jinhwan asked

"Not much, but I know enough to say that you're not happy with what you have. But look at your life through someone else's eyes, and you'll realize you have a lot" Hanbin said gently.

"Oh right, now I have to sit through this lecture"

"Listen, live, be happy, smile, love, because who knows, tomorrow may not exist. Oh WOW, that was really deep right? Wow I'm too good, on that philosophical level. Anyway, I'll teach you how to smile, because I haven't seen you smile once since I've seen you. It's a simple one step process. Stretch your mouth and say 'eeeeee'. Come on, say 'eeeee'." Hanbin explained

"What the hell are you talking about?" Jinhwan snarled

"OH LORD, you poor soul, you've forgotten how to smile. But don't worry, just keep practicing and your smile will come back ok?" Hanbin smiled

"You know, your problem is that you think you're-"

"I know, I'm very goog looking" Hanbin interrupted, as he pulled a model pose. "But you are not my type, I'm sorry. Meanwhile, just practice ok? I'm leaving, and its ok that I didn't get any food, your cooking would have probably killed me. No offense though. So...Ok byeee!!!" And just like that, Hanbin moved past Jinhwan, and walked out of the front door.

Jinhwan scoffed, he couldn't BELIEVE what had just taken place. First of all he literally met Hanbin this morning, then Hanbin INVITED himself over, actually came over, made Jinhwans phone fly into the soup pot, and then didn't even eat anything, gave a lecture and then left. This Hanbin guy was WAY too outgoing for Jinhwan's liking, but
Jinhwan spent the whole night thinking. Was that idiotic Hanbin right? Had he really forgotten how to smile?

--

The next day, Jinhwan went to go and meet Taehyun at the train station again, and he told him everything that happened the night before.

"Do you know what that idiot Hanbin was saying about me? That I'm not happy and I don't know how to smile-"

"Well, he's telling the truth" Taehyun interrupted

"I know, but why do I have to hear it from him?" I swear I was so close to-"

"I can't hear anythinnnnnggg!" Hanbin's voice interrupted.

"You!!!! W-what are you doing here? Were you listening to our conversation?" Jinhwan snapped, in utter shock.


"I wasn't listening, but I was trying to. How can I hear anything if you are speaking so softly? Here move out of the way, hi, we didn't get to meet. I'm grumpy's new neighbor, Hanbin" he smiled as he extended a hand out to Taehyun

"Hi, I'm grumpy's best friend, Taehyun" He smiled as he introduced himself, whereas Jinhwan couldn't believe what was happening.

"How can you be friends with such a miserable person?" Hanbin asked

"Shut up, we were talking" Jinhwan snapped.

"Shut up, now we are talking" Hanbin replied. "Did Jinhwan tell you about the dinner party yesterday?"

"Yeah, he invited me but I couldn't come" Taehyun sadly replied

"Oh man, why not?" Hanbin asked.

"Because he was with his dumb boyfriend" Jinhwan scoffed

"You are just jealous because Taehyun has a boyfriend and you don't" Hanbin remarked

"As a matter of fact, I do. I do have a boyfriend" Jinhwan bragged

"You do??" Hanbin and Taehyun said in unison. "Who is he?" they asked

"Jiwon" Jinhwan hesitated. He didn't know what he was saying, all he knew was that he had to shut Hanbin up.

"Umm I thought you said he was just a friend?" Hanbin asked

"I said that because I don't reveal my personal life to everyone" Jinhwan said

"But you should have atleast told me" Taehyun whined

"Aww don't mind Taehyun, I'll tell you what, me, you and your boyfriend will go out tonight, and Mr. Grumpy won't be there to spoil the fun" Hanbin explained

"Of course I will be there, I will have fun and I will even bring Jiwon along too" Jinhwan proclaimed

"Woah, ok if you say so. Bring this "Jiwon" of yours to the Cloud Seven club, and you can introduce us!" Hanbin exclaimed.

"Good! It's a plan. See you there" Jinhwan said bravely.

Jinhwan may have acted like a brave lion on the outside, but inside his heart was going 100mph. What had he gotten himself into? What was Jiwon going to say about all of this?