Chapter 04.

Read to me.

One day, Kyungsoo saw a sight he hadn't seen in the two months they had been together.

As he climbed the stairs to the second floor, he saw a middle aged man leaning over and talking to none other than Jung Mirae herself. The man was quite refined, with an expensive-looking suit and hands knotted behind his back.

Kyungsoo didn't like the situation one bit.

He paced over to her and before he could say anything to the man, he turned his head and smiled warmly at Kyungsoo.

"Ah, you must be Do Kyungsoo, correct?" The man reached out a hand.

Kyungsoo stilled for a moment before he shook the mans hand, eyebrows still furrowed in concern.

 "Yes, and you are?"

He might've sounded a little more stern than he would've liked, but the elder didn't seem to mind and just let out a hearty chuckle.

"Jung Ok Sun," he rested a hand on the girl's shoulder, "Mirae's father."

Kyungsoo's eyes widened slightly as it darted to Mirae's sheepish expression, before he respectfully bowed and mumbled an apology.

"Oh please, it's fine. Actually, it's great! I can tell you're very protective of my daughter. I thank you for reading to her, she always goes on about it to me but I simply don't have the time." The man sighed in dissapointment, but he sounded so artificial that Kyungsoo could barely believe a man like so existed in the twenty-first century. He suddenly remembered he was graduating and getting a job soon and if these were the kind of people he'd run into, he'd rather not.

"You see, I'm the owner of this cafe."

The words hit Kyungsoo like a train and he suddenly felt like a ray of light was beaming from the behind man and wanted to sob and thank him for the the only good things that's happened to him since he got to uni.

So Mirae...is the daughter...of the owner...of this cafe.

"Mr. Jung, please, you'll be late for your meeting!", someone from downstairs was heard shouting, as Kyungsoo pieced puzzle pieces together by himself.

"And that is my cue," Mr. Jung gruntled. "Goodbye sweetie, goodbye son!"

Kyungsoo bowed to the man as he jogged past him, while Mirae waved.

Soon he was out of sight, and Kyungsoo sat down with a sigh of relief, not a second before shooting daggers at Mirae.

"So," tone becoming more caustic by the syllable, he continued, "when were you going to tell me your dad owns this place, huh?"

Mirae looked up to the ceiling innocently, and put her palms up and out to her sides in an I-don't-know-what-you-mean-but-I-actually-do posture. "Well, you never asked."

Before Kyungsoo could retort a well-thought out comeback, his phone vibrated in his pocket.

Weather Alert: Strong heatwave hitting Seoul province this afternoon.

Kyungsoo couldn't be more grateful to be basking in the Air conditioned room. He didn't even want to rememeber the skin-evaporating heat on the way over.

When he faced back to Mirae, an odd fact came to realization. If his memory wasn't failing him (yet), he understood that Mirae was always, emphasis on always, wearing long sleeves.

And by God, how?

Kyungsoo tugged at her sleeve cuff playfully. "Na, are you cold blooded by any chance? It's ninety-eight degrees out, Mirae. Ninety-eight. Real feel hundredn' four, might I add."

Mirae giggled, "So you've finally noticed huh? I was wondering when you'd ask. Normal people would have noticed sooner."

"Sorry that I'm busy constantly analyzing texts due to a certain cheeky disabled brat. My corneas are probably text-imprinted by now," Kyungsoo sipped on his iced tea, deadpanned.

"Well," Mirae smirked, and Kyungsoo just knew she was about to pull another guilt trip on him that he wasn't ready for and would probably feel really bad about later on when he got home and thought about his day.

"I don't go outside. This cafe is my home, literally," she sighed dissapointingly, similar to her father's. "Me and Appa live on the lower floor. Im kind of homeschooled so I only ever go out when he takes me, and that's only about twice a month. And it's freezing in here, oppa. Make sense?"

Kyungsoo started taking out the books from his bag hurriedly to avoid the conversation. "Yeah yeah, I know, sorry."

Somewhere deep in his subconscious he was probably thinking  just ask me Mirae, ask away. I'll take you anywhere.

Unfortunately, Kyungsoo had too big of an ego for that, adding in that they really weren't on such close terms, not to mention her father, because who would let some grown man take his growing daughter out somewhere so casually?

Although one thing Kyungsoo could never deny was how happy and homely he felt by her side, since she was basically Rajin's long lost twin. Just as cheeky, too. Really cheeky.

As much as he'd publicly refute it, Kyungsoo really did miss his sister and the rest of his family as well, but with Mirae around, it wasn't so bad. Actually, it's not bad at all.

He snickered quietly as he got carried away by his thoughts, sneaking a glance at the girl.

Her hands were trembling.

She really must be cold.