Chapter 01.

Read to me.

It was spring of 2014 when Do Kyungsoo walked into Coffee Corner Cafe.

He heaved out a deep sigh of content as he trodded into the latte-filled Narnia.

The week had been endless with nonstop socializing due to the (in his judgement, dumb) group project for his World Literature class. Even I can get tired of fake smiles.

You could say Kyungsoo was a bit like a double-edged sword; a handsome, popular, top-of-the-ladder type guy, while also holding place as the uttermost misanthrope.

"In all my twenty one years of life, I don't think I've ever felt so satisfied," he mumbled to himself on his trip to the counter.

"One Americano, small, with two packets of sugar please." 

"Alright, that'll be $2.45," the waitress nearly cheered, taken aback by Kyungsoo's features. Once he handed over the money, she exchanged with him the receipt, along with a serial of ten numbers Kyungsoo definitely would not be calling anytime soon.

Maybe when hell freezes over, you shallow dimwit.

Coffee in hand, Kyungsoo made his way over to the most secluded area he could find, close to the back corner of the upper floor, near the bathrooms.

He sat in silence, humming softly as he hauled his backpack onto his lap, zipping it open and taking out The Black Goat's Egg*, which he was nearly done reading.

If there was anything in this world Kyungsoo could actually say he loved, it would be reading.

From historical to fiction, biographies to fantasies, Kyungsoo enjoyed them all. The books let him go off into a world where nobody could bother him besides the ones he let. In all possibilty, the words themselves gave life to his being.

But even in this place where he'd thought he could have a decent amount of tranquility,he felt uncomfortable. Although he didn't bother to look up, he swore  he could feel an intense gaze goring through him, and it certainly wasn't pleasant.

Shrugging it off, because priorities called, Kyungsoo remained in his seat reading to his pleasure. 

A good half hour had gone by before Kyungsoo tore his eyes from the manilla paper to sip the last bit of his drink.

"Ahh," Kyungsoo breathed out while stretching his arms over his head when he'd felt it again.

He furtively scanned the area, making sure he wouldn't have to make eye contact with anyone. He hated eye contact the most. It kept him in check, compelling him to continuously face a reality he most likely didn't fancy. 

He was at a loss, until his gaze landed on a certain girl facing his way. 

His immediate judgement was of her clothing, because who in hell and heavens above wears a turtleneck in 78 degree weather?

 But as he looked up, her eyes locked with his. He couldn't tell clearly, but it was as if her irises were fading.

The weirdest part though, was probably that she was staring at him yet not simultaneously. Her gaze was emptier than an udometer placed in the Atacama Desert.

Kyungsoo couldn't stand it much longer, so he quickly turned his head. Packing up his belongings, he headed for the door.

Unfortunately, the feeling hadn't parted with him until he reached the door, as he walked out with a deadpan expression and a click of the tongue.

Irritating.

---------------------------------------------------------

* to anyone who gets this reference, you are amazing <3