Chapter 02.

Read to me.

Kyungsoo spent a whole three days away from the cafe.

Why, why do couples exist? And why do said couples insist on slobbering on each other's faces publicly like dogs in heat?

Many similar questions ran through Kyungsoo's mind as he realized once again the library didn't meet his standards along with the events that came with it.

He decided to go back to the Coffee Corner Cafe, because aside from the odd girl, it was actually a very soothing ambience for him.

Hopefully she wasn't there today.

. . .

She was.

She sat right in the exact same spot; her gaze shifting a bit to the right of Kyungsoo, nearly wanting to make him turn to see what she was looking at, but that was too much of a bother.

Thankfully she wasn't looking his way when he sat down. He took the moment to take out the stack of books he had just rented out yesterday, although they would have to come later. His focus at the moment was of the paper he needed to finish by Monday on Shakespeare's road to medieval stardom, which he could care less about it. 

That was another thing; while Kyungsoo was fond of the books themselves, anything dealing with the authors never really intrigued him.

He pushed the books to the edge of the small table and began typing away on his laptop. 

Occasionally, he would sneak a glance at the girl, just to make sure she wasn't staring again.

Sometimes their eyes would meet and he'd look away before the next nanosecond, sometimes she wouldn't be looking at all, and sometimes he would catch himself staring a bit more than necessary, just because he was curious of her next actions.

This process repeated for the next two days.

. . .

It was Sunday, and since Kyungsoo dormed on campus, he would still frequent the cafe to get his work done. Frankly, his roommate was a drunk and during the time spent within the room, Kyungsoo prayed the guy would just stumble off of the balcony or something during one of his drunken rage sessions.

She's here.

The whole situation was quite amusing for Kyungsoo by now, playing this game with the girl. She would never approach him, nor wave, nor even smile. She wouldn't have the heart shaped pupils his other admirerers would either.  She would act as if she hadn't seen him at all, and casually go back to drinking her frappe.

What in the world is she trying to achieve with this?

Kyungsoo blew a raspberry, putting such irrrelevant thoughts aside and pushing himself to make sure he'd have the paper finished by the time he left.

Soon the paper was done and the stress had left Kyungsoo's mind instantaneously. He checked his watch for the time.

4:13 PM. He could go another two hours or so without going back, not that he wanted to. If he could, he'd probably find a way to inhabit himself within this cafe.

Kyungsoo pulled out the stack of thick books he still hadn't had the chance to read. Picking up whichever was on top, he lazily moved the rest out of the way. Unconcerned with the female who had left somewhere at this point, he opened the book to the first page.

Only three pages in was Kyungsoo interfered by someone knocking the books he had placed on the edge over. A shrilled "I'm so sorry!" was heard and he mentally (and it probably physically leaked out as well) groaned in annoyance at yet another disturbing encounter.

Only when he reached down to help said offender did he realize it was her.

He stilled for a couple of moments as she dragged her hands roughly across the floor to pick up his books. She stood and straightened herself out with one hand, books in the other.

"This is all right? There's no more to pick up right?"

Why in- Can't you just look at the damn ground and see if there are more? Kyungsoo slightly frowned.

Her voice was extremely soft, like a small child's. She still wasn't facing Kyungsoo directly, he realized when he looked up to face her. Her head was directed slightly over his. Taking a good look at her from this close, she was actually quite pretty. 

"Uhm, excuse me?"

She shook him out of his running thoughts and he looked up to her once again. Before he could say anything, she bowed deeply.

"Well, the thing is, I'm blind."

Kyungsoo inhaled with a quiet, sharp breath.

"Even though I have most of this cafe memorized by my foot paths, it's still not easy to walk around so casually, I guess. I should've been more cautious. Sorry again." She bowed quickly with a sheepish smile.

"No," Kyungsoo blurted out without hesitation. His mouth was still a bit agape at the whole situation. 

She's blind?

Everything clicked into place. Even if she was facing his way, she was never actually looking at him. Kyungsoo wanted to laugh at himself and his overinflated ego. How embarrassing...

Oh well, whatever. Just a couple more empty words and he wouldn't have to keep going along with this anymore.

"It's fine, I'm sure you didn't mean to." He feigned a smile,  Thank you for picking them up for-"

"Actually," she cut in quickly. "Y-You like to read books? I see you have a lot of books here..." 

She motioned with her head towards the books in her arm, which she still hadn't put down. The girl had a slight look of desperation and nervousness in her expression, which Kyungsoo didn't really understand.

"Yes, I do." Although he meant it as a statement, it came out more like a question. Why else would I have a pile of books with me if I weren't going to read them...?

"Ah, I see...do you also come to this cafe often?"

Now that really made Kyungsoo chuckle.

"Often?" he covered his mouth to stifle his laugh, "Yes, while also apparantly having one sided staring compitetions with you."

The way her eyes widened like saucers only wanted to make him laugh more.

"O-Oh, is that so? I was staring? I'm so sorry!"

She was so innocent. Kyungsoo swatted his hand and stopped his fit of chuckles when he noticed everyone surrounding the two were watching them like hawks.

He cleared his throat and stood up, taking the books from her hold. 

"Well, it was nice meeting you officially. I have to take my leave for today, I need to get back to the campus soon." Kyungsoo recited while placing the books in his bag. The girl only stood and fidgeted as if she wanted to say something.

"Uhm, mister...I know this might sound really random and you'll probably think it's really weird, well no it is really weird, but I'm not really that weird, well, maybe I am but that's not what I'm trying to say, I just-"

"Hey hey," Kyungsoo cut off her nascar styled rambling out of irritation, "get to the point."

She took a deep breath before continuing. "I just...would really like if you could read to me."

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. This girl was drowning him with shocks, one after another.

"Read, as in read my books to you?"

She nodded slowly, biting her lip. "Yes, please. It know it's strange but...since I can't read myself, I've always wanted someone to read to me. I love books too, ya know?"

After a short pause, she rubbed the back of her nape awkwardly, "The stories...are the only things that makes my life seem real. Besides that, it's always just dark in my world."

The man pursed his lip in thought. She seemed, no, she was so much different than any one he'd met in his life, and he barely knew how to take in what she had just said.

In her empty eyes he saw a reflection of himself. Someone who wanted to run away from their reality and escape to a better one.

"Sure."

What?

"Sure," he repeated twice, just to beat it into himself.

"I'll come read to you whenever I'm here." 

Her expressioned brightened like a child who'd just recieved candy, and it reminded him so much of his younger sister back home.

She bowed for the nth time that day, murmuring several "thank you's".

Just then it hit him that he hadn't the slightest clue on who she was.

"What's your name?"

The girl paused, almost as if she was recollecting on herself.

"Mirae, Jung Mirae," she said finally, albeit with a hint of doubt in her voice.

"and you?"

Kyungsoo's lips twitched slightly into a barely noticeable smile. 

"Do Kyungsoo."

Not that she would have noticed, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can totally see D.O. just getting so fed up with Kai that he pushes him off the balcony XD