W

Battle Star
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

11. Medicine

 

The pharmacy is wedged between two taller buildings. It looks squeezed, as if the neighbours were closing in. The sign was old, some letters had become illegible with the peeling paint. The bell on the door jingled, but nobody looked up. They were busy carefully filling orders, pouring tablets into brown plastic bottles, screwing the caps on. Shelves were spanning both sides.   Jongin had no clue on how to actually help someone, how to care faithfully and generously for someone. He knew that no-one could change the world in a single , but with each kind deed, he made a difference.    He never cared for anyone, anyway, but the Middle Linebacker made something inside of him snap. It’s his time to care; it's his time to take responsibility; it’s time to lead; it’s time for a change; it’s time to be true to his greatest self; it’s time to stop blaming others. Sometimes its not the strength, but gentleness that cracks the hardest shells.   "Good day, Sir! What can I help you with?" The pharmacist asked, as he finishes the mixture of the ointment for a sufferer.    Caring - Jongin always had a soldier mentality. As a kid, he wanted to be a soldier, a fighter pilot, a covert agent. Professions that require a great deal of bravery, risk and putting oneself in grave danger in order to complete the mission. He wasn't trained to tenderly care for someone. Worrying for someone other than himself was odd. Yet, he was here, in the pharmacy to support Kyungsoo's recovery.    His feelings - the urge to assist - for Kyungsoo could not be explained by logic. Jongin wasn't used to sacrificing himself, he had his pride.     "I want to help a friend of mine, who is suffering from a concussion right now. The doctor from the hospital has already prescribed painkillers, but I want to foster his recovery. Is there a way to do so?" He asked, examining the large variety of pharmaceuticals.    "Ah, I see. There isn't much you can do for your friend. But I do recommend for you to cook something healthy for him. A recent research has proven that avocados, blueberries, nuts, honey and strawberries are likely to accelerate his recovery," She explained and points toward a cook book beside the cough drops.     "Despite that, I'll highly recommend you an ointment in case he has cuts from the impact on his head. Those cuts are normally numbed by Lidocaine."    "I'm going to buy the ointment and the cook book then," He answered, wondering whether a cut was under Kyungsoo's bandage. The pharmacist's footfall echoed around, not loudly, but enough to give away her position to anyone who happens to be concealed in the room, as she packed a plastic bag with the purchase.    "Oh, I forgot to mention that he is an athlete. Are there some pills to numb his pain, so he can play again?"   "Sir, that's ridiculous. A repeat concussion that occurs before the brain recovers from the first may lead to edema, brain swelling, permanent brain damage and, in the worst case, death. Those pills would be his death warrant. "   Death.    His heartbeat echoed in his ears - it beats so loudly that it seems to want to escape his chest, to flee.    A slight but distinct sulfurous odor, a hint of cheap perfume, hit his nostrils. Again, he was reminded of how dangerous an injury could be, how careful the Middle Linebacker should be treated.    "The ointment and cook book cost $31.34  in total," She began.    He faced the display of the cash counter, before he took out his wallet from his jacket to pay for his purchase.    "Thank you for helping me."    "You're welcome!"    His mind was still a surging perplexity.                                                                     *"*  

The street was glorious in its inception. The sidewalks were smooth gray stones, joined with such precision that the joints were almost invisible. The street, that should have been such a joy to walk on, was littered with garbage and the detritus of dogs. Despite these fixes, there are still cracks and the potholes grow la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter