Avoiding

Forever and Always
Chapter 2: Avoiding
Haeun grabbed her bicycle together with Jongin as they both cycled together as usual.

It’s been two years since they met again, and two years went by in the blink of an eye, they were now already in their final year together.

“Jongin, have you heard of this movie called Dark Lord?” she asked. He nodded his head. “Many of our classmates watched.”

“And they said it wasn’t bad.” Haeun braked to a stop as they waited for the green man to appear. “I heard it’s the last day it’s airing in the cinemas. I want to watch it, but I’m scared to watch. Jongin, can you watch it today with me?” she asked.

Jongin gladly nodded his head. “Sure!” His stomach soon was filled with butterflies as he imagined the scene in the cinema with her after school.

It was surprisingly his first time watching a movie with Haeun.

She smiled. “I have to meet up with the professor after school. You can buy the tickets first, I’ll meet you there.”

He nodded once more. “Alright. After all, you’ll be my wife within a couple of years, a husband accompanying his wife is normal,” he said and started to cycle when the green man lit up.

When he said that joke, he could feel his pulse quickening and his heart beating in excitement.

Haeun laughed and she snorted once more. She could feel her heart fluttering and her cheeks pinking. “You still remember that pinky promise thing we did when we were seven? Woah Kim Jongin, you have a really good memory, I can’t offend you or you will rake up things,” she laughed.

He laughed. “I remembered telling you to kick that snorting habit of yours! No wonder no one was willing to be your boyfriend. Except for me,” he joked once more.

“I’m trying to! But you know how hard it is to kick off a bad habit! And will you stop being so full of yourself for just one second,” she hissed, cycling next to him.

Jongin laughed once more. He was enjoying those boyfriend jokes of his, and he bet Haeun’s enjoying it too.

“I remembered saying 'forever and always' and blah blah blah, right?” she asked. “I remembered your toothless grin too.” She broke into laughter and Jongin wanted to smack . But Haeun immediately cycled into another lane that was far enough to dodge his attack. “Loser.” She stuck out one tongue.

“You’re going to regret this, Haeun." Jongin chased after her and she screamed, cycling even faster. Their smiles were so wide that they found it hard to make it even disappear. Their smiles were because of the other party's presence.

 

During the start of the lesson, Haeun stuck out her tongue and immediately dodged another attack of Jongin who attempted to throw his book towards her but failed when the class started to get packed.

You’ll get the piece of me when lesson ends, he mouthed.

What? I can’t read your lips, she mouthed back and laughed.

Jongin bit back a smile and went to his desk which was eight tables away from Haeun, to her relief.

 

When lesson ended, he looked at Haeun’s desk, but she was already gone. “Strange..” he whispered and shrugged it off.

He waited for her at the cafeteria, but she didn’t show up idea. He texted her, but she didn’t reply. He spammed her with tons of calls, but she didn’t answer nor call back.

He could only wait to see her in the next lesson.

But she missed it too.

He called Daeun, who was already out working in the law firm.

“Hyung, did your lil sister call you?” he asked. “Nope. What’s the problem?” Daeun said, looking through files.

“Your sister is giving me a hard time playing hide and seek with her. She missed the second lesson of the day. I tried calling and texting her but she didn’t reply,” he said worriedly.

Just then, he spotted Haeun slowly walking into the auditorium.

“Hyung, I see her. Got to go.” He hung up and chased after her. “Haeun!” he called out.

Haeun turned and smiled at him. “Hey Jongin,” she said. “Lecture is starting, let’s go in,” she rushed.

Throughout the entire lecture, Haeun was giving Jongin the cold shoulder.

When he wanted to strike a conversation with her, she either was busy in her own notes, or she shut him up. Her excuse was to pay attention.

Jongin looked at her from the side. He wondered what happened within those few hours.

 

 

Jongin waited for Haeun outside of the cinema. He bought a box of popcorn and the tickets, patiently waiting.

Haeun showed up, her grip on the sling bag tightened as she approached Jongin. “Jongin,” she said.

He smiled. “Haeun. There’s still time.”

“Jongin, I’m sorry. I don’t think I can watch the movies with you today. Professor Han is late. So I have to wait in the school for him. Sorry,” she apologized.

Jongin blinked and he looked down at the popcorn. His heart sank a little. He thought he could get answers from her coldness. He quickly hid his disappointment and forced out a smile. “It’s okay, I can watch it myself.”

“Tomorrow I won’t be cycling to school with you. I’m meeting my classmates for breakfast,” she said. Jongin nodded. “Ok.”

"I'll get going then," she said, her finger fidgeting on her sling bag as she walked away.

Jongin saw that action. She was lying. He wondered why she lied.

 

 

Jongin walked into an eatery. He sat down, his eyes fixed on one person that was opposite the shop-Haeun.

He didn’t know what was wrong with Haeun for the past few days.

She always found an excuse to get away from Jongin. And he had to find out why.

Jongin looked at Haeun who was at the opposite shop, looking through clothes and she pressed her lips into a firm line. She smiled politely at the salesgirl before walking out of the boutique.

 

 

The next day, it was the same. Jongin continued looking at Haeun a distance away, far enough that he won’t be caught.

It was weird, lately.

Usually after dinner, Daeun would go into his room and lock himself up due to the immense amount of work. Haeun and him would be in the living room sitting together watching Korean dramas and munching on popcorn.

But now it was the opposite.

Haeun would be the first one to go lock herself into the room and Daeun and him would be in the living room watching football.

She was still chirpy as usual, talking during dinner but when she was alone with Jonginn, she became awfully quiet.

Haeun was as usual at the same boutique, looking at the clothes she yearned for.

Jongin's lips unconsciously curved up when he saw Haeun’s every action and movement. He ducked his head when Haeun glanced at the eatery he was in.

Within minutes, she came out of the boutique.

Jongin slowly looked up again, to his shock, he saw Haeun lying on the streets, unconscious.

He immediately rushed up to her and tapped her cheek lightly. “Haeun! Haeun!” he called out. “Oh .”

 

Jongin looked at Haeun, unconscious on the hospital bed.

It’s been eight years since he last stepped into the hospital. And it always made him recall bad memories.

He finally knew why she started avoiding him. Her illness relapsed.

And he now clearly knew that Haeun likes him, that’s why she doesn’t want to hurt him. That’s why she avoided during lunch break. That's why she avoided watching Dark Lord with him. That’s why she wanted to avoid the feelings for him.

Jongin slowly reached his both hands out to hold onto Haeun’s hand.

“Silly. Why do you need to do this to yourself? Why do you want to hide the illness from us? Do you have an idea how scared I thought you were going to die when you were in the ambulance? Do you have any idea how scared I was when I thought you didn’t have any feelings for me?” he whispered.

Jongin softened. He kissed the back of her hand and smiled. “But now I know everything, silly pig.”

 

 

Haeun woke up. She clutched her chest, and she slowly sat up straight.

She looked around her. No one was there.

The nurse came rushing in. “Miss Soo, be careful.”

“Who sent me here?” Haeun asked.

“A man. He looks around your age or maybe older. He is slightly taller than you, dark complexion,” she described.

 “Jongin..?” Haeun frowned. “Tell the doctor, I want to be discharged now.”

 

 

Haeun slowly walked back into the house. She saw Jongin preparing for dinner and she placed her bag on the sofa. “Jongin,” she greeted.

“Haeun, you’re back,” he said, placing the chopsticks on the table. “Dinner’s almost ready.”

“Ok,” she said. She slowly walked towards him and bit her lip. “Jongin. Today,-“

“Dinner’s ready!” Daeun exclaimed from the kitchen. “Today, we’re having hotpot for dinner!”

"We'll talk later, dinner's ready," he said, smiling as he carried two dishes into the dining room.

Haeun eyed Jongin throughout dinner, while Jongin acted normal, striking a conversation as usual.

 

When dinner was over, Haeun and Jongin did the dishes. Haeun looked up at Jongin from time to time, scrubbing the bowl at the same time.

“Haeun,” Jongin spoke up. “Sorry.”

“Why, Jongin?” she asked.

“I know you wanted to ask me about today afternoon. I was the one who sent you to the hospital today,” he confessed.

“It’s really you..”

He bit his lip. “And I left before you wake up, because I wanted to act like nothing happened at all. But I know I couldn’t do that.”

“Why did you do that?”

“Haeun, I know about your relapse, and I know you’re not ready  to start a relationship with me that’s why you keep avoiding me, and that’s also because of your illness,” he said.

Haeun stopped washing the dishes.

He turned to face her. He looked down at her and bit his lip once more. “But please, don’t let your illness get into your daily life. Live your life as usual, cycle with me to school, talk to me, eat with me. I don’t want our friendship to end,” he said. “And don’t worry. I won’t tell hyung.”

“Jongin..” Haeun whispered, slowly looking up at him, she was thankful. She felt secure beside him because he knew what she was thinking and how to make her feel assured.

He smiled. “It’s okay. Go to your room, I can do the dishes,” he said, and he continued scrubbing the plates.

Haeun looked at him and she softly smiled.

SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT. chapter 3 will be the last chapter. BUT. Chapter 4 will be the REAL last ending. Heh heh. It won't be what you expected. There will be a MAJOR PLOT TWIST WAITING FOR YOU IN CHAPTER 4 :)