Promise

Music Box

Promise by Girls' Generation <3

A quick and short read xD Warning: it's cheesy hehe


 

It only takes one to keep a promise. So even if Jessica forgets their promise after all these years, Tiffany is there to remember it.

 

“Don’t marry him.” Tiffany adds to the bold statement with a tempting smile.

 

So Tiffany objects. That doesn’t mean Jessica should drop everything just because her high school ex blinks those puppy eyes at her and speaks in that husky, alluring voice that brings shivers to Jessica’s skin.

 

What shocks everyone is that Jessica actually takes a step toward Tiffany without even thinking.

 

Jessica stops and realizes what she’s doing. "N-No, wait..." She tries to reverse the past ten seconds, but it’s too late because everyone already saw what she almost did. And that was walk away from her future husband to go to her ex.

 

***

 

Jessica is pacing back and forth in her changing room. The wedding dress is soaked in sweat because Jessica is that boiling mad, but she refuses to take off the dress.

 

“I can’t believe you.” Jessica glares at Tiffany, and is aching to shake some sense into her. “You almost ruined my wedding!”

 

“I did ruin it.” Tiffany giggles at the sight of Jessica’s fiancé’s mouth falling open. Of course, the entire audience was shocked. Tiffany would like to call it an improvise since she didn’t actually plan to stop the wedding. It was a spur of the moment, which she fully takes responsibility for but doesn’t regret.

 

“No. It’s still going to happen.” Jessica refuses to look Tiffany in the eyes when she says that. She knows she wants to marry him. She’s known since he asked and she said yes. But she’s not sure if she knows anymore.

 

“He seems like a decent guy.” Tiffany comments. It doesn’t make it okay for her Jessi to marry him though since Jessi is hers. But he’s a decent guy.

 

“He’s cute too.”

 

Tiffany nods just to distract Jessica. “He is.” But I’m cuter.

 

“He has a nice smile.” But does he have a Totoro smile, Jessi.

 

“I like it when he makes me laugh.” Baby, that’s what k-dramas are for. And we still have a lot to catch up on.

 

“I know I can count on him.”

 

“But can he keep promises?” Tiffany notices Jessica squirm uncomfortably. She’s no longer pacing around, but she still isn’t looking at Tiffany.

 

It’s already been four years since they made the promise to give their hearts to each other. After Tiffany had left for New York, the promise should have been nulled since they took separate paths. Right?

 

“Jessica, it’s me.” Mr. Fiancé knocks on the door, making Jessica jump slightly. She doesn’t even realize that the strap on her left shoulder has slipped down her shoulder during the jump. But Tiffany notices and clearly shows it by touching Jessica’s bare shoulder, which causes Jessica to quietly flinch.

 

Adding to the troubling questions is whether Jessica’s heart should be racing because of Tiffany’s touch.

 

“Jessica, please open up. Let’s forget what happened and just get married.”

 

“U-Um…” Jessica’s mouth suddenly clamps shut. She knows she should agree, but she can’t find herself to say the words out loud. Was it because Tiffany was distracting her by playing with her dress strap, was it because she suddenly lost her voice due to all this stress, was it because that stupid promise is still nagging at her and her heart has already been given to someone else?

 

“Jessi.” Tiffany gently tugs Jessica’s strap, and it forces Jessica’s body to jerk down to where Tiffany is sitting. “I love you.”

 

Jessica lets out a breathless gasp, whether it’s by the sudden confession or how close they are to each other doesn’t seem to matter as much anymore.

 

Amidst it, Mr. Fiancé is now knocking urgently. He senses that the quietness from the other side of the room can’t be a good thing. Something’s changing, and it’s not in his favor. “Jessica, open the door! Let me in!”

 

“Jessi.” Tiffany smiles and her eyes smile along. “I promise I’ll love you forever.”

 

Jessica doesn’t even think twice as she allows herself to sit on Tiffany’s lap. Her fiancé is panicking outside of the room, there are dozens of guests waiting for a bride and groom to get married, and the white chariot that she spent weeks to find and rent is waiting for her, but Jessica doesn’t even bat an eyelash. Though that might be due to the fact that her eyes are now closed and she’s losing herself in the kiss that she’s sharing with the girl she’s promised to give her only heart to.

 

Jessica cups Tiffany’s cheeks. “I promise I’ll only marry you.” Jessica says confidently, so of course Tiffany has no choice but to kiss her so the only thing Jessica can hear are their rapidly beating hearts.