The Additional Member

Creating Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Additional Member

 

A new baby is like the beginning of all things - wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.

Eda J. Le Shan

 

The food at Seungyeon’s dad’s restaurant was fantastic as always and the Lee family was especially happy about the reunion with Chef Yoo Chang Jun who even prepared some free services for his in-laws.

Jonghyun still couldn’t believe that Seungyeon managed to bring literally everyone to Seoul on his birthday week end - his parents, both sisters and even their families. They hadn’t been able to gather like this since Christmas due to everyone’s busy schedules. Therefore the mood was great and bubbly as they brought each other up to date on their daily lives.

 

It was nice to see that Seungyeon was getting along with her dish, too. Even though she could not drop the regular IV-injections yet and every morning was still a battle for her, she at least could hold in some light food around midday now. It helped that her dad knew about her condition too; he created something that went along with the doctor’s instructions on ingredients well so she could enjoy her meal.

 

Jonghyun didn’t expect it but everything went so smoothly that his family didn’t even suspect anything about Seungyeon’s condition yet. It was perfect actually, because he wanted to surprise them himself with the good news.

 

After everyone eventually finished their main dish and they were waiting for desert to be served he thought that it was finally the perfect moment to make the long awaited announcement.

 

He found Seungyeon’s small hand under the table as he cleared his throat to prepare for what was to come next. She gave him a shy side glance before quickly averting her attention back to the table. Even though she maintained a really good relationship with his family, he could sense that his wife still felt nervous.

 

Secretly caressing the back of her hand Jonghyun started to speak calmly.

 

“First of all I really wanted to thank you for coming all the way to Seoul to meet me on my birthday. I definitely did not expect it and I am extremely happy we were able to catch up like this after such a long time.” He started his little speech while ignoring his eldest sister’s teasing remark on how he was like the ghost of the family when it came to gatherings, because he was almost always overseas when they tried to organise something.

 

“Also I wanted to thank everyone for the birthday presents. Without a doubt I can say that this birthday has been the best birthday of my life so far.” Jonghyun added with a smile around his lips.

 

“He is so dramatic this year, isn’t he?” His brother in law joked.

 

“I know, right? He even said it yesterday at the concert. So mushy.” Jonghyun’s second sister, Hyeji, agreed while shaking her shoulders as if something cool had been poured over her neck, causing her fiancé of ten months to slightly pad her back.

 

“Oh please, he has been like this since he first met sister in law. He’s just even more open about it ever since the wedding took place.” Hyunji, his eldest sister pointed out. “I never expected my brother, the Busan namja Lee Jong Hyun, would make a trend out of handholding. How can the term Recharging still be this famous even after all those years? Seriously, after witnessing that his original image went straight to exile for me. However, I’m sure sister in law must be enjoying it very much.” She added with a grin.

 

“It’s probably because he has lived in Seoul for so long.” Hyeji chimed in again, looking a bit apologetic at her fiancé who was born in Seoul. “Sorry Jagi! But Seoul men are somewhat different. It's not a bad thing though. It's just weird because Jonghyun-ah originally wasn't like that.”

 

Seungyeon felt a little bad for him. He was still somehow new to the family and - since he was an only child - obviously not used to their usual banter. She knew he could be humorous too from the times she met him without his future parents in law but whenever they were around he seemed to feel a little intimidated so he was quiet most of the time. In any case Seungyeon was sure he would change after the wedding. The same thing apparently happened to her other brother in law.

 

"Perhaps I was like that but you failed to realise it before?" Jonghyun suggested to make his soon to be brother in law feel comfortable and to finally shut up his sister.

 

“Did Jonghyun Samchon really create recharging?” Jonghyun’s oldest niece suddenly interrupted the adults, furrowing her brows cutely while looking at her parents. “Is that why mom and dad keep calling it that whenever they hold hands in the car? My friend says they are funny.”

 

“Why are we funny?” Hyunji curiously asked.

 

“My friend says her Oppa told her you’re too old for that. Only teenagers and young adults do so.” The five year old answered without hesitation, causing everyone to laugh except for her stunned parents.

 

“Actually we were trying to announce that we are planning on expanding our family.” Jonghyun finally tried to regain the attention in between the whole banter, hoping to hint at the a little more serious matter he was actually dying to finally discuss. However, his mom caused him to fail again straight away...

 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter