chapter 8

the road to you

Jaerim and Soeun had been dating for about a year now. Their one year anniversary was coming up and they both had decided that they would spend it in Jeju, the place instilled with fond memories. Jeju was where a load had been lifted off of them. It had unburdened them from their responsiblities as celebrities with the stress and crushing comments that came with it. Jeju was the small island that gave them freedom, a getway from life, a dream in reality.

Although they were going to be in Jeju together, they were going to be taking different flights. With a lot of effort to safeguard their privacy, they had managed to keep their relationship away from the media's eyes. Whenever they were asked about each other in interviews, they would lie and say they were friends when in fact they were lovers. Whenever news reporters asked them when they last contacted each other, they would lie that a support message was sent at the beginning of a project when in fact they were texting each other everyday. Lying to the media was easy, but to the fans, it was hard. They both were aware of Solim's popularity. The hype had not died down even though it had been 3 years. 

They were sitting on his couch, watching television, just mindless reality TV. 

"Oppa, we're leaving in two weeks," Soeun said. "Make sure you pack everything."

"Yeah...It would be less costly to take Bung Bung," Jaerim whined. 

"Oppa...you know that is asking for trouble. You'll make us an easy target for the news reporters."

"I know...," he heaved a sigh. 

He was upset even though he knew what she was saying was right. She patted his head and then guided him into her chest, holding him close. 

"We chose to be celebrities. We chose to live it like this so we have to make some sacrifices."

He nodded, and stayed there. He wasn't that upset but he liked it when Soeun babied him. 

He had learnt that when Soeun gave affection, he should embrace it to the fullest. 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

They hadn't seen each other for a week. They knew the more they missed each other, the more they wanted each other, the more special Jeju would be.

Soeun had just finished filming a CF and she had decided to get herself a coffee before heading back home. On her way out of the coffee shop, her phone started ringing. 

"Hello," she said, her phone pressed between her ear and shoulder as she held the coffee in one hand and her car keys in the other. 

It was her mother. It was pretty normal for Soeun to recieve a call from her mother during the day. She would usually be checking up on her, complaining about Somi's new boyfriend, or asking her if she was okay with what her father's dinner choice. 

"Soeun-ah," Mrs. Kim started. 

Soeun waited and waited, but her mother didn't speak any further. 

Before Soeun could utter anything, her mother choked up and began crying. 

Worried and alarmed, Soeun began shouting "Eomma" countlessly into the reciever. 

She began getting into the car. Something was defenitely up and it was not good. 

"Just hurry to the hospital...please."

Soeun her car, and sped to the hospital, leaving spilt coffee all over the parking lot. 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Her father had fainted at home. Arriving at the hospistal, they had done a diagnostic on him and they found out he had cancer. 

Soeun's mother was a mess. She could barely manage to stand up so Soeun told Somi to take her home and let her rest. 

She would stay by her father and take care of him. She had always been the strong one in the family, the one the family would depend on, the one who was capable of bearing the pain.

It was evening. Her dad was resting, while Soeun held his hand. 

"Dad, did the doctor say anything about starting treatment?"  

Mr. Kim looked at the ceiling, exasperated and heaved a sigh. 

"He did...but I don't know so much about treatment. I don't know if it'll be successful, and even if it is, I don't know how long I will live."

"Dad...," Soeun said choking up. "Don't say that. You will make it. We're with you."

"Listen Soeun-ah. I'm telling you this because I'm being realistic." He sat up and looked at her right in the eyes and Soeun realized that her father had never been more serious. 

"Whatever happens in the future, whether I die or live, I do know that I want to see my childrens' happiness. I want to my daughters' happy with their respective families. It's still too early for Somi, but you Soeun-ah, I want to see you get married," he was choking up saying all this and Soeun had started to cry. 

"Tell Jaerim that you want to marry him, but don't tell him about me. I don't want him to feel like I'm forcing him into this."

Although Soeun had not wanted to settle down right away, she had always wanted to marry Jaerim. 

Soeun nodded, wiping her tears. "I'll tell him."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

They arrived in Jeju on a Friday night. They spent the first night making love. Jaerim noticed that Soeun hardly pushed any of his advances. No playful jabs, no whining, she gave herself up to him without any resistance. He found it odd but didn't complain.

Saturday morning, when everyone was sleeping and it was still dark outside, Jaerim and Soeun walked hand-in-hand to the beach so they could watch the sunrise. It was beautiful, just like their love. 

The rest of the day Jaerim spent surfing, swimming with the sea creatures while Soeun monitored him from the beach. When he got tired playing by himself, he urged her to come in, and although Soeun would usually be quick to say no, this time she didn't. She reached out her hand and he grabbed it, guiding her into the water. He held her close and taught her the basics of swimming, just like he had done in Turkey. 

When they were both worn out, they headed back to their guest house. Soeun cooked all his favorite foods, and Jaerim brought out a cake. Nostalgia flooded back, as it reminded them both of that night in Jeju when they cooked and celebrated Jaerim's birthday. They were really good unforgettable memories.

Sitting side by side and cozying up, they blew out the single candle on the cake together. 

"Happy 1st anniversary to us! May there be many more to come!" Jaerim chanted and clapped.

"50 years, right oppa!" Soeun also chanted.

Jaerim nodded and pulled her into a hug. 

In the crook of his neck, Soeun sighed in bliss. She leaned in and pecked him on the lips. 

Taken aback by his unpredictable girlfriend, Jaerim blushed. 

"I'm not very hungry anymore. Rather, my appetite has changed focus..." He pointed his finger to the ceiling, indicating to what was above it. The bedroom.

She rolled her eyes. He really never did miss an opportunity to say something rated. 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

The last day of their trip, they went to the amusement park, makeup free, covered in layers of clothing and masks to hide their appearance. Jaerim braved every ride for Soeun. Being with her, it seemed that his queasy stomach had ajusted to thrill rides. 

Dinner was eaten at a nice seafood restaurant. One could always count on Jeju to serve the best seafood, as it was fresh, straight out of the Jeju waters. 

"Soeun," Jaerim started. "Let's head to the beach one more time to watch the sunset."

Moments later with fingers entertwined, they went to watch the gradient of bright lights kiss the sparkling, blue water. 

"Close your eyes," Jaerim whispered. 

Heart-beating rapidly, expectant of what he was going to do, Soeun complied. 

She opened her eyes to find a ring on her finger, with a jewled infinite sign crested in the middle. 

Soeun thought she was seeing things. Had he just proposed to her?

"It's a couple ring. Sorry I took so long to get you one. I wanted to make it perfect."

"Oh." Soeun responded in disappointment but she tried not to show it. "Thank you oppa. I love it."

Jaerim nodded shyly, always bad at taking compliments, and then became even more bashful when Soeun approached him and kissed him on the lips. 

"Oppa," Soeun started. She mustered all the courage she had to utter the next two words. "Marry me."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

She was back home, in her bed, holding tightly onto her phone with an unsent message. For the past 3 hours, she had been replaying the scene in her head, questioning her decision again and again.

Flashback

It was silent at first and then he firmly said: "No."

"I'm not ready. You know marriage is a big committment. It's nothing like our virtual marriage if you think it's going to be like that. You'll become my responsibility and so will our children."

"Isn't that what you want?" she asked, trying to hold back her tears. She didn't want him to know she was hurting. 

"I do...but not now. You're a rising actress and I'm a rising actor. This is our prime. We should focus on work for now, so we can live our life without any regrets, so our future children have everything they ever wanted. I don't ever want...I don't want our children to live a childhood like mine. I want everything to be secure Soeun. I want to make sure I can give our family everything. Just wait a little bit longer for me. You can do that right?"

Soeun nodded, and Jaerim smiled. "Thank you, jagi."

Soeun forced a smile as Jaerim leaned in and kissed her. Wrapping her arms around him, she deepened the kiss. She wanted to remember everything from his sweet lips that she was kissing, to his silky hair that she was touching, to his strong arms that were holding her, to the scent of the Jo Malogne perfume that he still wore. 

"I love you," she whispered breathless. "Please always remember that."

Jaerim nodded and replied back with the same phrase.

Everything was perfect, everything seemed happy, but Soeun knew that this was goodbye.

When they parted to take their own plane back home, Soeun cried. She cried so much, her tears could have filled the sea of Jeju.

She was leaving her heart there.

End of Flashback

Her hands shook as she reread the message again. She had made her decision and she knew it was the right thing to do, for her father who's future was uncertain, for her parents' who sacrificed so much for her when she decided to become a celebrity, for Jaerim who loved her so much and she knew would be willing to give the world for her. She didn't want to burden him with her problems, she didn't want him to feel obliged to do something for her, she didn't want to force him to do anything he didn't want. 

She didn't want to get in the way of his career, his goals, his success because Soeun knew that right now that was the most important thing for him.

"Please don't hate me oppa," she whispered, tears running down her cheeks. 

She loved him so much that she was willing to let him go.

Sent. 

⊱✿ ✿⊰

A/N: Oh ho ho, doesn't this remind you guys of chapter 1. I know it's sad right now but remember, I'm one for happy endings so even if there are bumps along the way, please trust me and bear with me for the final two chapters!