chapter 5

the road to you

The morning rays cascaded onto the white sheets, causing Soeun to squint. Her body was so tired from the previous day, that she decided to just sleep in. She shifted to the side and snuggled more into the blue sheets. 

"That's odd," Soeun said, realizing that her normally white sheets were now blue. "Mom must have changed them." She inhaled and it came to her attention that the scent had changed too, to an oddly familiar scent. 

Rosemary was it?

A furball began purring next to her arm. Soeun snuggled up to the cat, eyes closed in bliss. She curled her toes and rested them on another tuft of fur. Confused, Soeun opened her eyes to find two pairs of green eyes staring at her.  Squinting, Soeun carefully examined her surroundings and discovered that she was not in her home, she was not in her bed and these cats were not her's. Panicking, she screamed.

At that moment, Jaerim came running out of the bathroom, clad in a loosely tied towel around his hips. His eyebrows were creased in worry as he looked at Soeun, although physcially she seemed fine to him. 

Soeun was unconciously the bed sheets and was shamefully staring at his torso, his chest, his clavicle, his adam's apple, glistening with beads of water and his long locks dripping. She gulped and suddenly felt really hot, but she couldn't identify why she was suddenly so nervous and flustered. 

"You okay? " Jaerim asked, a gentle hand reaching out in concern.

Soeun was blushing and she didn't know whether it was due to being in Jaerim's bed without an explanation as to how she ended up there, or the fact that a half- Jaerim was standing in such close proximity to her. 

"No I'm fine. But why am I here?" She pointed to his bed, making it very obvious what she was implying.

Jaerim smiled, "You fell asleep last night so I brought you to my place. You were too drunk to remember anything."

Soeun's eyes widened in shock, "What do you mean I won't remember anything? What did you do to me?!" She was practically shouting, holding the sheets up to protect herself from the half- man in front of her.

Jaerim lifted his palms and promptly denied her implied accusation. 

"I swear nothing happened. I even slept on the sofa," he pointed to the sofa in the corner of the room, justifying his statement. 

Soeun sighed in relief. "Okay, I believe you." Her clothes from last night were also fully intact so she had more reason to believe he was telling the truth. 

Jaerim rubbed the back of his neck, shyly. "I made you breakfast."

"Oh," Soeun reacted.  She remembered him making breakfast for her countless times on We Got Married, and that wife-like side of him, that responsible side of him, that familial side of him, always made her heart go pitter-patter. "Thank you."

Soeun got up, washed up, combed her hair and walked downstairs in her jeans and pink sweater. 

She surveyed his house and liked what she saw.

Jaerim's entire complex was painted white, with a few pictures hanging from the wall. One was of his sister upon her graduation, another one of his parents holding Olla and Leon, and one of him holding his Best Actor award. The house wasn't built for a family of five but it was plenty big for an invidual or two. Two floors, two bedrooms, a bathroom on each floor, it was cozy yet airy at the same time. Soeun always preferred qulaity over quantity, coziness over space, pastel and light colours ove vibrant ones, and Jaerim's house surprisingly fit her taste. It felt homely.

In the living room, she noticed his collection of awards and trophies, and gently smiled upon noticing the one in middle. It was the won he had won with her, The Best Couple Award. 

"Oh so you noticed them," Jaerim said as he came down the stairs, clad in sweats and a t-shirt. He was dressed so comfortably but Soeun enjoyed that he didn't find the need to look his best in front of her, because he knew she accepted him for the way he was. 

He motioned towards the kitchen table, and Soeun took her seat. She wasn't surprised to find an American styled breakfast, as he had been fond of that style of breakfast during We Got Married too. He had cooked a very professional looking omelette for her along with toast and coffee.

"Did you make this?" Soeun asked the obvioius, observing and touching it as if it were the most fascinating thing in the world. 

"Of course. I didn't play a chef role for nothing," Jaerim boasted as he took his own seat. 

Soeun took a mouthful of her breakfast and chanted, "Thank you Chef Song. It's yummy."

Jaerim grinned as he watched her enjoy the food, and the cheesy side of him wanted to say to her,

"It was tasty because I made it with love."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

They were a month into filming when Jaerim was told that his character would need an appearance change in order to comply with the character's development. That's why one bright Sunday afternoon, as Jaerim was relaxing and watching a movie on his day off, he was disturbed by the incessant ringing of the doorbell. 

He opened it to find Soeun with an unidentifiable kit in her hand. 

Jaerim was no less than surprised to be seeing her at his house, let alone having come uninvited. Nonetheless, he let her in and was still perplexed watching her remove her snow boots and her coat to unveil her blue turtleneck.

"What are you doing here?" he asked. Soeun lifted her red kit and smiled, her eyes sparkling with mischievous intent, and Jaerim swore he had never seen anything scarier.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

"I did a pretty good job," she boasted turning Jaerim's chin to show him her impeccable hair cutting skills in the mirror.

Jaerim looked exasperated. When he had heard that his character needed a physical change, he had never imagined it meant cutting his hair. It had taken so long to grow it out again and getting used to thoroughly combing his hair every morning and making different types of ponytails and buns. 

"Thanks," he said, getting up from his makeshift hairdresser chair, although Soeun noticed that he didn't look very grateful. 

"Oppa, let's practice the script while I'm here," Soeun suggested after cleaning up. 

Jaerim nodded. Although he preferred relaxing on his day off, he didn't mind studying the script with Soeun. She plopped down next to him on his couch and began reading her lines out loud. Jaerim skimmed through the booklet and smirked when he found the scene he had been looking for. 

"Turn to page 69 Soeun-ah and read the last line,"  he told her. Soeun immediately followed his instructions. 

Jaerim watched Soeun's calm expression quickly shift to reddened cheeks and panic.

"I need to go home. I remembered I had to do something with my dongsaeng today," she lied, swiftly saying goodbye and leaving. 

He couldn't hold in his laughter as he watched Soeun's car leave his driveway.

He read the line out loud.

"And then they kissed."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Soeun had been trying to avoid Jaerim ever since her visit to his house. Even when he tried to make eye contact with her, Soeun's eyes would flicker and look away. 

The kiss scene was scheduled for today, and Soeun dreaded it more than anything. After being an actress for more than 12 years, it was natural for her to do romance scenes with her co-stars and she welcomed them, but Jaerim was the only exception.

She had seen his dramas and there was no denying that he was a good kisser and she had heard the graphic description directly through her good friend, Jo Boah.

"Unnie, don't tell Joowon-oppa (Boah's boyfriend) I said this, but Jaerim-oppa kisses so much better than him."

After that, she had heard Jaerim's co-star from Surplus Princess go on and on about the intense underwater kiss they had shared.

But, Jaerim's lips were taboo for Soeun. She had convinced herself that if he kissed her, she would lose her mind, she would lose control, she wouldn't know how to react. She was shy but she was also scared that the feelings she had tried to push back during We Got Married and afterwards, would come flooding back and torture her.

"Okay, Soeun-ssi, Jaerim-ssi, take your positions," the director ordered.

Soeun gulped as she assumed her position by the wall and Jaerim stood in front of her. The camera started rolling and acting came naturally to them both.

Jaerim hit the wall, she shut her eyes from the impact, he whispered a heart-fluttering phrase and then leaned in. Slowly opening her big brown orbs and noticing the proximity of Jaerim's lips, her heart began hammering loudly in her chest. One of his hands cupped her cheek, while the other held her in place against the wall. Nervously, she gulped while deeply inhaling the strong smell of coffee on his lips. Soeun could feel herself burning as sweat began matting her forehead and her breathing became heavier as his eyes searched her's. Jaerim saw uncertainty in them and he also saw an emotion rare to Soeun: fear. Being one of the strongest girls he knew, he did not like seeing her tremble beneath his grip. Gently, his thumb caressed her cheek and he whispered, "it's okay," before fully leaning in and taking Soeun's bright pink lips in his.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

A/N: Here's chapter 5 :) How do you like it so far? 

Thank you for all the comments and support.