chapter 10

the road to you

Soeun did not return home that night. Immediately after Jaerim proposed to her, Soeun called her mother to let her know to cancel the bridal shopping plans for the day.

"What do you mean? You're still wearing their dress. They expect us to pay."

Soeun paused, realizing she technically stole a dress. 

"Let them know it's on its way back."

Mrs. Kim sighed in frustation on the other end of the phone. 

"You're making your wedding very troublesome for me."

"Sorry, mom. I'll explain everything when I come back home tomorrow."

"Okay...just be good, and don't cause more trouble for others."

Soeun nodded and after saying her goodbyes, she hung up and then turned to Jaerim who was staring at her from the sofa. 

"Oppa, I need you to do me a favor."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

They delivered the dress in one piece to the bridal shop but Soeun did not recieve the happiest responses from the manager and his assistants. Embarassed about running off with the dress, Soeun apologized again, and then left the shop with Jaerim waiting for her on his motorcycle. 

She pulled up her oversized sweats, courtesy of Jaerim and tank top to go with it. 

He lent her his hand as she got on at the back and strapped on her helmet.

"I would never dare dress like this, but thanks to these clothes, I don't think anyone will recognize me. Thanks by the way."

"Anytime."

Soeun chuckled. "Hopefully this is the one and only time I borrow your clothes which reminds me; we seriously need to change that wardrobe of yours."

He smiled at the implication that he was a fashion disaster. He didn't mind. Soeun was one of the only people he could take insults and critcism from without being irritated, because Soeun always meant well. She always looked out for him.

That night, Soeun and Jaerim slept together. No love making. Nothing like that. They simply slept together in each other's arms.

"Soeun," Jaerim said into her hair.

"Hmmm..."

"What's going to happen to us? What if your fiancée doesn't give you up? I hate love triangles, you kn..."

He shut up when Soeun placed her fingers on his lips. 

"Just trust me. Now go back to sleep," she snuggled into his chest, bringing comfort to his heart.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Dean was silent when Soeun told him that she couldn't marry him.

"I'm very sorry."

Tears threatened to escape her eyes because she knew she was breaking his heart, a broken heart he did not deserve. All he had shown to her was kindness, and willingness to accept her for all her flaws and the love he knew she wasn't able to reciprocate.

"There's no need to apologize."

His response pained her. She'd rather he express his anger, his sadness, give her an idea of what he was feeling, than leave her with a vague answer.

"It's not your fault Soeun. Although I wish you could be mine...although I wish you would give me a chance, I can't blame you for following your heart. From the beginning, you were honest with me. Thank you for that."

Soeun nodded, salty tears sliding down her cheeks.

Something tugged at Dean's heart and he felt like holding her. Weirdly, even though he was sad about losing Soeun to another man, he felt that Soeun's tears told a much sadder story that she had endured these past few years.

"Can I atleast have a hug?"

Without any hesitation, she approached him and enveloped her arms tightly around him.

He ran his fingers through her hair, and Soeun did not mind at all.

"Be happy with him."

Soeun nodded into his buttoned-down shirt, smiling at his kind wishes.

She replied in English.

"Thank you."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Jaerim properly proposed to Soeun again, this time with a ring, and after getting her parents' approval.

"I promise to love her and make her happy for the rest of my life. Please let me marry your daughter," he went into a deep bow, shutting his eyes tightly as he anticipated their response. He would understand if they said no, but he wished, he wished...

"If you had to choose between Soeun and your career, which one would you choose?" 

Mr. Kim had asked an unexpected question, yet it was somehow still expected. Jaerim lifted his head, relaxed his shoulders, and firmly answered:

"Kim Soeun without a doubt. Without her, nothing feels satisfactory, nothing feels like an accomplishment. It took me a long time to realize it, but your daughter is my first and foremost priority."

Jaerim swallowed his saliva, placed his hands in front of him, and played with his fingers nervously.

"Come here son."

A smiling Mr. Kim embraced Jaerim, and slowly but surely, a stunned Jaerim hugged him back. 

Mrs. Kim watched the scene, wiping a tear from her eye. The young boy who had come to visit her in the hospital when she was injured, who supported and believed Soeun when Soeun was having a hard time, was now becoming part of her family as her son-in-law...as her son.

Dreams do come true.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

The wedding preparations went by quickly, with both families putting down everything else, to pitch in and make sure that everything was completed on time. Mr. Kim's health was getting better and it seemed he would be able to walk Soeun down the aisle without any concerns.

Dispatch, one of Korea's top news firm reponsbile for leaking confidential celebrity information, were the first to announce to the world that Soeun and Jaerim were getting married, followed by more articles.

"Virtual to Real: The Truth Behind This We Got Married Couple's Love Story"

"[Photos] Kim Soeun Spotted Wearing Her Engagemeng Ring"

"Sources Claim Kim Soeun And Song Jaerim Will Have A Summer Wedding"

"[Photos] Song Jaerim And Kim Soeun Taking A Romantic Stroll In A Park"

Jaerim picked up a newspaper and chuckled. 

"I used to worry about tabloids, so I never thought the day would come when their articles would make me smile."

Soeun was too busy discussing the alterations needed in her wedding dress with Somi and Surim, that she wasn't able to pay attention to her fiancée. Minutes later, her head spun around when she heard the sound of scissors on paper.

"I'm happy that you love them so much, but don't you think that cutting out those articles is going a bit overboard?"

Surim, who was tending to Soeun's dress with a needle and thread in hand, looked over at her brother. 

"Don't mind Soeun-ssi. He's a bit too detailed at times, but it can be handy."

Somi chimed in agreement. "Yeah sis. Your kids will be a bunch of cute neat-freaks."

Both Soeun and Jaerim blushed at the comment, but Soeun was quick to recover. 

"We haven't even wed yet, and you already want nieces and nephews. You two are impossible."

Jaerim snickered at his serious bride-to-be. "Who's to say she isn't already pregnant?"

Somi and Surim looked at each other with something between the lines of shock and excitement, and before they could question Soeun about the truth, they heard Jaerim cry out loud, having been hit by Soeun's six-inch heel.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Soeun and Jaerim wed on August 17th, 2019, a day that the sun so high in the sky, did nothing but shine as puffs of clouds travelled aimlessly around it. The sand by the beach was beige and crystallized, and would gradually modify to a darker shade with the subtle tides of the water lapping against it. The decor comprised of an assortment of flowers, tied with ribbons to silk-draped chairs and the wedding arc also complimented the nature theme. 

Guests were seated and Sung Si Kyung's Road to You began playing and a beautiful Soeun in white took her father's arm and began taking the final steps to her fate. She donned a sweetheart neckline, chiffon, A-line wedding dress with a medium train.

Right now, as you are next to me daydreaming
With excited heart, I quietly take a peek at you and remember you in my heart

A handsome, groomed Jaerim with hair parted to the side, looked at her walking slowy from afar, and his chest tightened.

She was absolutely stunning.

It may be love, or otherwise it's inexplicable.

She arrived beside him, her emotional father placed his little girl's hand in Jaerim's, and united their hands together. Soeun's eyes twinkled as she looked at Jaerim and he could not explain the feeling in him. Soeun could make him feel different things, but they all they came down to the same feeling, the feeling of love.

This road that we are walking together, not just ending again as a memory, but will be preserved like today forever

After the priest did his short sermon, Soeun and Jaerim both read their vows. Like in their virtual wedding, Jaerim's vows were cheesy, but this time, Soeun had no doubt about his sincerity, about the truth behind his words. When Jaerim said "This woman in front of me is like my oasis in the desert. She gives me the hope, the strength, the patience to keep doing my best," an ajhumma from the audience blew her nose. 

Saying "I love you"
I should have waited more
Now, how should I express my feelings?

Soeun was a woman of a few words, but when she expressed herself, she meant it. She spoke about how Jaerim was the grey area in her black and white world. He was her middle path and the right one. She promised to be a loving wife and dedicated to their family someday too.

Although everything changes, I will love you with my true heart

Soeun and Jaerim kissed, a long kiss under the sun, with her arms wrapped around his neck and his hands tenderly holding onto her waist. This was the long-awaited kiss, their fans had waited for years back, when their feelings were still hesitant.

Now, there was no hesitation, no doubt, no regrets.

Just so much love.

I love you.

tumblr_nuhspkKPLc1u887jvo3_1280.jpg

⊱✿ ✿⊰

A/N: TT-TT I didn't cry writing angsty chapters 8 & 9, but I cried writing this happy ending. Just imagining about how beautiful their future could be if they actually got together, makes me wish it even more. There is a yearning in my heart for Soeun and Jaerim marrying each other, to become a reality.

I used the lyrics of Sung Si Kyung's Road to Me in this because I thought it was fitting, especially to the title of my fanficton. Jaerim also referred to Soeun and him with this song so it works well :)

Here's a visualization of Soeun's dress. 

tumblr_nuhspkKPLc1u887jvo1_500.png

(credit to the photographer)

The story is not quite done yet. 

Don't forget to read the epilogue :)