chapter 3

the road to you

The first thing that went through her mind was how much weight he had lost. She had briefly seen him on TV Shows and noticed that the 14 kg he had gained after meeting her, had all been lost. It was apparent on his once chubby face, that now lacked the cheeks. His defined high cheek bones accentuated by his long locks and the indifferent look in his eyes, Soeun realized that the man beside her felt very foreign. This was not the Song Jaerim she knew. 

She had never looked more beautiful. Unlike him, Soeun had gained a bit of weight in the past 2 years. Her face was slightly fuller, the pink in her cheeks was popping, and her eyes had not lost their shine. Her hair was pressed into his back and he noticed that her curls were getting ruined so he backed up, and Soeun also turned around to take a good look at him.

He was handsome in his tuxedo. Soeun was not going to lie to herself that whenever Song Jaerim was dressed up like this, make-up highlighitng his God given features, his dark eyebrows, his long-lashes, his full lips, and his jawline, her heart would patethically beat in a frenzy.

Not only had Soeun gained weight in her face, but her body had become more fuller too. He didnt' remember her having such curves even when he touched her waist countless times, nor did he remember her being so outstanding in the chest department. Jaerim swallowed down his saliva. He couldn't believe that this was the first time he was seeing her in person in the past 2 years, and such thoughts were already infiltrating his mind. 

Soeun raised her palm up and waved slightly.  Jaerim gave her a huge smile in return, with his teeth as white as pearls. It had been a long time, they didn't end on the happiest of terms, but they both were looking at each other like they were meeting again for the first time. 

"Take a seat, Soeun," Kim Soohyun rested his shoulders on Soeun and prompted her to sit down. "The ceremony's about to start."
Soeun obeyed her sunbae, but turned around in her seat to watch Jaerim and her drama partner sharing an intimate brotherly hug and Soohyun astonished at Jaerim's hair lenghth. "Woon, you're back."

They both laughed and Soeun smiled.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Jaerim had grabbed his first best actor award that night. He felt elated, so elated, like his hard work had finally paid off. All the scarifices he made, all the people who doubted him, all the times he became teary over his lack of love life, it had all been worth it. 

When his name was first called, Jaerim immediately turned around on his seat, and he saw the person he wanted to see, staring right back at him. A moment of silence, where the world around them was empty of everything but them, a subtle whisper of "congratulations," and the deafening roar of the crowd came rampaging back with Jaerim being hoisted up by his colleagues. Kim Soohyun literally jumped over Soeun's seat to engulf Jaerim in one of the tightest hugs known to mankind. Soeun's joy was evident as she watched the man she once loved, being showered with love.

When Jaerim went to make his acceptance speech, he briefly summarized his struggles and successes to achieve this award, and mentioned We got Married as his launching platform and when he did so, Soeun swore he was staring right at her. It felt nostalgic as Soeun compared it to the time he thanked her during the MBC Entertainment Awards back in 2014. 

She couldn't hide her pride and clapped vibrantly. Yes, she was proud and humbled to be an important piece of his rise to fame.

Jaerim came back to his seat. Soeun patted his back gently and gave him a thumbs up, and Jaerim gave her one of his flirty winks in reply.

He got a light punch on the shoulder for his shameless action, although he joked like it hurt more than it actually did. 

Years could pass by, but some things would never change.

⊱✿ ✿⊰

Soeun was the runner-up best actress this year. Although Soeun had wished she had won best actress for a second time after having won it in 2015 for "The Scholar Who Walks the Night," she couldn't be happier to have Lee Boyoung win it instead. 

Being the loving mother of a 2 1/2 year-old girl and a 1 year-old boy, as well as a dedicated wife to Jisung, Soeun looked up to her as a role model. She aspired to be able to manage her career and her family life as well as the well-established sunbae actress.

"Congratulations unnie," Soeun expressed shyly once the award ceremony was over and the Korean actors and actresses were chit-chatting and appropriately flirting over their glasses of wine. The older woman put her hand on Soeun's shoulder and said, "I wish you had won. I've seen your work. It was great."

Soeun shook her head and refused the touching compliments from one of the women she respected the most in the industry. Boyoung quickly glanced over to the side, and then looked back at Soeun. 

"He's been watching you for a long time."

Soeun turned around and she expected it to be Song Jaerim, but she was nonetheless suprised by his intense gaze. Jaerim motioned his wine glass to her and gestured for her to follow him. Soeun excused herself and kept a distant of 3 meters as she followed him out the doors of the building. 

The wind was blowing, and it was cold (it's winter but let's just pretend Soeun and Jaerim aren't freezing in minus something temperature).

He was staring at the stars in the sky while Soeun, who was 3 feet away, looked at the cement ground.

"Whenever I look at the sky, it reminds me of you and your love for it."

Soeun quicky glanced at him, perplexed by his sudden confession.

"I remember the hot air balloon ride, and the skydiving experience, and both times I thought I married a crazy woman."

Soeun smiled to herself. She liked how Jaerim would nonchantly refer to the time they were together as a real marriage, and not something that was for entertainment purposes and for popularity purposes. His sincerity always touched her. 

"I also thought I married a man who was actually still a baby," Soeun remarked, smirking. "Your tears on our last meeting could've filled the Han River."

Jaerim was astonished but he didn't bother being the gentleman and letting her have the last word, "My tears? You cried so much, I thought you wanted to swim in your own tears."

Soeun stepped near him and gave him a jab in the hip. 

"Ya."

Jaerim smiled.

"See I knew you'd call me Ya when we met again," he joked. 

Soeun suddenly became silent, remembering how much she had cried in their last meeting of their virtual marriage, when he had asked her what she would call him in the future. 

"Oppa," Soeun suddenly whispered.

"Hmm," Jaerim said, cocking his head to the side and looking straight into her eyes.

"I missed you."

Jaerim's smile disappeared and then he suddenly closed the gap between them and gave Soeun a long-needed hug. Soeun filled his arms and Jaerim could not deny how much he missed holding her. 

"I missed you too."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

After completing her rom-com drama, "The Girl Who Could Not Swim," and after attending the MBC Drama Awards, Soeun was on a well-deserved break from her schedule and decided to spend her day with her younger sister Somi. It had been a long time since they both had a chance to have some sister-bonding time, especially with Soeun's hectic celelbrity career and Somi who worked as a full-time teacher. After some shopping, they decided to get a bite to eat. Soeun had her hands full as she arrived at the table and began to put the bowls down. Her phone started vibrating so she asked Somi: "Can you check what it says?"

Somi obediently listened and as she began reading the message, her eyes grew in shock.

"It's from your manager."

Soeun nodded, sitting down and putting Somi's bibimbap in front of her.

"Your company found you a lead role in a drama and wants you to come sign the contract."

Soeun rolled her eyes. She just finished filming her last one. She wanted to rest.

"And your partner is Song Jaerim-oppa."

⊱✿ ✿⊰

A/N: Sorry for the lame drama title, "The Girl Who Could Not Swim" lol

I was inspired by Soeun. 

Hope you guys are liking the story so far :)