Jacket x Basketball trials

The fight for true love and friendship

The lecture hall was getting a bit chilly. I forgot to bring my jacket. Aish. I looked at the clock. I sighed. I'll have to suffer for another 45 minutes. Oh no. By then I'll freeze into an ice block. I thought.

I tried to focus on the lecture to take my mind off the coldness. After a while, I did forget about the cold, but when I wanted to take some notes, I felt the chill again. Aish. I rested my back against the chair and tried to refocus on the lecture.

As my mind refocused onto the lecture, something nice and warm and fluffy was placed onto my back, covering my arms, making me feel warmer.

"Hey. I saw you shivering from where I was sitting." I turned my head to look.

"Oppa! How come you're here?"

"Oh. Year ones and year twos have some lessons combined," I was still shivering, my hands were really cold.

"Didn't you bring your jacket?" Yoseob oppa asked.

Only the armrest was separating both of us.

"I forgot." I giggled.

"I know. Hyunseung said you are the very absent-minded person."  

"Just kidding! You can borrow mine."

"Thanks oppa."

"You know you can drop the formalities."

"Sorry oppa," I paused, "Whoopsie."  

"You'll get used to it."

Although the armrest was separating us, when yoseob placed his hand over my shoulder, I feel warmer.

After the lecture, when we got up and walked out of the lecture theatre, his hand was still on my shoulder.

"Er. Yoseob. Your hand."

"Oh. Heehee." He removed his hand from my shoulder. But I left his jacket on my back, still feeling a bit cold.

It was lunch. So we headed for the cafeteria to look Hyunseung oppa. Along the way, there were a few stares from female students.

Oh well. Must be envious of me. I thought. Yoseob, best friend of the captain of the basketball team, is walking beside me. I know Yoseob is such a cute, friendly guy, I still prefer Junhyung oppa. Although I've not met Junhyung oppa and that we have had a normal conversation, but from his actions, especially when he seems to drift into his dreamland before he dozes off. I always watch from a distance, not wanting to be discovered by him. But as he frequently absents himself when my oppa's friends come over, I'm hardly able to find an opportunity to strike up a conversation with him. Oh well. Maybe I could ask Hyunseung why Junhyung hardly comes to our house. Yoseob and I found an empty table to as sit as Hyunseung and the others have not arrived at the cafeteria.

As we were waiting, 10 minutes passed but still not around.

"Oh no," Yoseob stood in exclamation, "I have to be at the basketball court now. There's going to be the selection for the Year Ones."

I don't know why and how, but I was being pulled along by Yoseob oppa, he was holding my hand, running along the corridors leading to the court. We entered through the doors - breathless. The trials had just started, they were doing dribbles, passes and throws.

"We are just in time," Yoseob said, his breathing back to normal. We settled ourselves on the bench Hyunseung and the others were sitting on.

"What are you two doing together?" Gikwang asked.

"Oh. I met her during my entrepreneurship lecture. I forgot about the trials until we waited for 10 minutes in the cafeteria." Yoseob said.

I was too caught up looking at the trials. "Junhyung, later you demonstrate a proper 3-point throw. Dongwoon you try to pass to Gikwang while Yoseob defends. And Hyunseung, dunk." Dujun instructed.

"Cool." I mumbled, and turned to look at Junhyung.

He was looking at me. Whether he was just looking or he had been looking for a while is a mystery.

But when I saw his eyes, I could feel a surge of warmth run through me. The feeling is indescribable. I looked away, embarrassed.

As the coach, Li Ying, a.k.a W, blew the whistle to signify the end of the dribbling session.

"Now your seniors will demonstrate to you some basic skills," W said, turning to Dujun.

"Okay, so now we'll show you how you defend. Watch carefully as later you'll all try to imitate the movements," Dujun said.

Yoseob, Dongwoon and Gikwang stood up, Hyunseung followed, wanting to watch the trials closer. Leaving only Junhyung and I. I tried to relax myself, and told myself he'll never approach you. I heard the bench creak a bit.

"Hey. So did you get into the Track team?"

I was shocked and scared. I looked to my right and saw Junhyung flash a smile at me.

"Oh. Er, ya. I made it into the team." I still couldn't believe Junhyung is actually talking to me.

"Oh. Just to let you know. We'll be coming over to your house on Friday for a sleepover. Erm, I'll be coming too," Junhyung hesitated.

"Okay. Glad you're coming too." I was more than glad, I was overly-excited, elated, excited, over the moon. But I didn't show it.

"You're excited?" Junhyung asked, breaking off my thoughts.

"What?"

"It's written all over your face."

"Oh really?" Oh damn it. I must have been smily crazily to myself. I giggled slightly. "Haha. Your..laugh...is cute."  I hit him on the back, "Are you crazy? My oppa will kill you for that! Only he's allowed to use that word!" Yea. It's true. Only Hyunseung oppa calls me cute. Because I don't like any one using that word on me. It's too weird.

"Awww..come on. Let me use that word too!" He was just smiling at me.

"Nah. Never." I stuck my tongue out, like a kid.

"Junhyung ah! Your turn now! Get your here!" Dujun shouted jokingly.

Junhyung had to do the 3 point throw from anywhere. He found a spot to throw from. As he jumped, his muscles tensed and relaxed. And the ball went through the hoop. The year ones went "WOAH" What a sight to enjoy.

As he walked back to the bench, he was smiling. As he wiped his sweat, I sat there, wandering off into neverland.

"Nicole ah. Time to go. Lessons start in 10 minutes." Yoseob was waving his hand in front my face. My thoughts vanished immediately.

"What's your next lesson?" Junhyung asked.

"Oh. Erm. Biology. Lecture."

"Oh. Me too." Junhyung said.

Oh cool. This is great! :D