Track trials

The fight for true love and friendship

It was 5.30am in the morning.

Urgh. I only leave the house at 7 for school. It's still early.

As soon as my head touched the pillow again, I remembered that I had to be in school early for the Track Team selection. I got up and rubbed my tired eyes, thinking, clearly frustrated, "Why must the selection be so early in the morning?"

Fortunately, Hyunseung is leaving at the same time for basketball practice. They are like forever practising, I thought. After making my bed and a quick shower, I changed into a pair of jeans and a normal t-shirt, stuffed my running attire into my bag, took out my shoe bag with my spike shoe, head downstairs and grabbed bread made by my mum, and slowly wore my shoes while waiting for Hyunseung to get ready.

"Ya dongsaeng! Why don't you wear a skirt? You always wear pants." Hyunseung oppa teased.

"Aish. Not like anyone will care."

"Aww...come on."

"Nah. I'll think about it. I have Track selection later." We walked to the car where my dad was already waiting.

"Hurry up kids! Time waits for no man!" That's what my dad always says. It's his catchphrase. It was 6.30am when we reached school. I was 15 minutes early, while Hyunseung is 30 minutes early.

"Go change and we shall warm-up together." Hyunseung suggested.

We headed for our respective changing room. When I came out, Hyunseung oppa was waiting already.

While we were stretching, oppa talked to me. "You sure you wanna join the Track team? Why don't you join swimming or floorball or dance or gymnastics?" I sighed.

There are reasons why oppa only mentioned these few sports. For swimming, I used to be in the Junior National Team, I did Track for stamina purposes. Floorball is just an interest of mine, same goes for dance. For gymnastics, well I took gym lessons when I was younger, amazingly, I'm still quite flexible and agile.

"Track is better than the rest." I finally said. I meant what I said.

"Good luck then."  

"Hey Nicole! Good luck! Heard you were trying out for the Track team! Wish you tried for cheerleading though." It was Jiyeon.

"Yea. I guess." I stifled a smile.

It was time.

The coach of the Track team did attendance check. After that, we were made to run just 1 round as warm-up.

When everyone finished one round, the coach gathered everyone and said, "I'm going to read the individual track events, if you're interested in that particular event, please raise your hand."

At the basketball court, a group of boys were playing basketball. At the spectator's seat were the cheerleading girls that met the group of oppas last night. They were looking at them, with eyes that hoped for just one special something: that they would come to talk to them.

Back at the track, the coach had already gone through the event list. Almost everyone wanted to try out for the 100 and 200. 400, 800, 1,500 were not so popular. There were at least 30 people trying out for the Track team. And at least 20 people wanting to race the 100 and 200m. As the track could only accommodate 8 runners at a time, heats had to be conducted. I was placed in the last heat for both the 100 and 200m. The coach saw I was wearing spike shoe and told me to change to normal sports shoes. He said it wasn't fair to the rest as they won't have bought the shoe specially for the selection, unless they train outside too.

When it was my turn, I went to the last lane. Although this was just selection, I felt nervous. I shook off all thoughts and focused. As soon as the whistle was blown, I took off. When I reached the finishing line, I was told of my time: 15.5 seconds. Tsk. It was way off my personal best. I could easily hit a 14sub time with spikes. Ohwell. Its good enough for top 2 times.

The 200, 400, 800 and 1,500 were conducted. As usual, for my 200m, I didn't do my best. Only the 2 fastest times could qualify for the team, you would have more chance to get in with events that have less people. Finally the coach was done and it was time he announced the results.

I got into both the 100 and 200m. The other members were Lee Suyun (100 and 400m), Shin Seohyun (200 and 400m), Jessica and Tiffany (800 and 1,500m). So there's only 5 people in the team.

Anyway, it was time for school! When I came out of the toilet, I saw Hyunseung oppa outside. "Hey dongsaeng! How did the selections go?" I'm sure I could sense sarcasm in my oppa's question.

"I didn't get in." Trying my best to remain straight faced.

"It's okay! You can always try another sport!"

"Yea. I'll try for the nerd club."

"There's such a thing? Okay. Good luck for that then!" We are always like that. Sarcasm with sarcasm.  

"Okay. Enjoy your lessons. Can you make some guy friends?" Hyunseung oppa teased.