Chapter 6

The Masked Beauty

The nighttime air felt wonderful on my skin as I ran across my usual path. The stars and moon danced perfectly in front of my vision allowing this overwhelming since of peace fall over me. After switching between running and walking, I looked at my phone. It was five in the morning and sleepiness never came over me. I find a bench in front of a fountain and allow the cool rushing water to spray my already damp skin. Running has a way of clearing your mind. I close my eyes and let my mind wander off. The dream kept haunting me and that same feeling of nostalgia overwhelmed me. With a sigh of frustration, I got up to fetch myself some water. As I take a drink, my eyes look over to see a dark silhouette of a man jogging. There was a similarity about him. I finished my drink and nearly run into the man as I turn to head back to the bench.

I flinch and try to work my way around him, but he had me blocked. “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to scare you. I didn’t realize that someone else also comes running at night. Do you attend this university?” the man asked raising an eyebrow.

I look cautiously at him before speaking, “Yes, I do? Why?” He was giving me a creepy feeling and due to the lack of light coming from the moon and lamppost, I couldn’t see his face clearly.  Why did he seem so familiar?

“I was just curious. I’m only here for a day or two and was hoping to meet a few students. How do you like the university?” the man asked before stepping around me to take a drink.

“The university is great! I really enjoy myself even though my classes can be tough. Why are you here for only a few days? Are you not a student?” I asked before realizing the stupidity of my last question. I quietly reprimanded myself for it.

The man looked at me and smiled. He led me to the bench before answering. “I apologize. I haven’t properly introduced myself yet. I am Do Kyung-soo. I have a performance here at Seoul University. What’s your name?”

“My name is ___. It’s nice to meet you Kyung-soo. I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what performance? There are constantly different events going on here so I have trouble keeping track of all of them and there is only so much time in a day.” I reply feeling better about the conversation.

Kyung-soo looked at me in surprise with a slight smile playing on his lips. “Do you really not recognize me? This is the first time I am being treated like a person instead of an idol. Thank you. I am part of the pop boy band EXO. My stage name is D.O. The performance is tonight at 8pm if you are still up to come considering it is four in the morning currently and you are on a jog. I would love to see you there.” A smirk played on his lips as he switched from looking at the sidewalk and me.

My eyes widened when I realized my mistake and I quickly worked towards recovering. I didn’t know much about EXO, but I knew of them and their growing popularity. “EXO? I apologize for not recognizing you, but I don’t really follow any groups. I will do my best to come to the performance. May I ask why you are on a run at four in the morning as well?" If he was allowed to make a comment about me being out here so early then he should expect me to wonder the same.

Kyung-soo sighed and looked down at his hands. "I needed a break from everyone and decided to sneak out while everyone was asleep so I can have some me time. A lot has been going on and running or even being outside clears my mind and helps ease my nerves for an oncoming performance." My heart felt for him and I immeadiately understood his reasoning. 

"That makes sense. That is why I run especially when a performance is coming up and it helps witht he stress of school as well. I will do my best to come tonight, but we should finish our run because time is running down fast." I stood up and looked down at him smiling. "EXO hwaiting!" Kyung-soo's smile grew big in response, showing his teeth.

"____ hwaiting!" he replied before jogging off in the opposite direction. My cheeks felt hot as my smile grew. Get a hold of yourself, girl! I shook my head and finished my run so I could get back to the dorm and shower up with a possibility of getting an hour of sleep. 

.............................

After my classes were over, I went over to the music department and sneaked into a practiced room. My piano skills were getting rusty and my fingers have been itching to touch the ivory keys again. I closed the door quietly and went over to the piano. It was a beautiful baby grand and my heart melted a little as I sat down on the bench looking at the keys. My hands graced them lightly before deciding on the correct position and playing a simple five finger pattern in both hands. 

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes as I played Rain Flow in You by Yiruma. It was a classic piece most pianists learned especially in Korea. I assumed this because every Korean I know who played piano knew how to play this piece. It is beautiful and actually was featured in the Twilight series known as "Bella's Lullaby". After I finished the piece, I felt warmed up and ready to play the piece I wrote. It was for piano and voice. 

I fell into position and closed my eyes. I took a deep breath and allowed my fingers to lightly touch the keys to bring the melody to life. The harmonies and melodies surrounded me as my voice came into play. I allowed the music to take over.

...........................

Mystery Guy's P.O.V

I walked down the hallway towards the practice I was supposed to meet my group ten minutes ago. Nobody was in the practice rooms, which suprised me considering there should be some music majors on this campus. Only one practice room was taken. My ear twitched as I heard this beautiful melody bounce around me. Who was singing? 

I looked at the clock and decided to risk being yelled at. I needed to know whose voice this was. It was beautiful and my heart melted and fluttered at her tone. Was she a voice major? If so then why hasn't she audition for a company yet? My company could definitely use her talent. Her voice was smooth, sweet, and fluid. I bet she was a dancer as well. 

My legs brought me to the door of the practice room and I took a peak in the window. It was ____!! Was that a crescent moon on her arm? Where did I see that mark before? My mind ran through everything to decyhper where that mark was seen. I stood there listening and watching her movements carefully. She was surrounded by the music and flowed through her body to the piano as if she was dancing. Her movements were so precise and agile. "She's beautiful," I heard myself whisper. I quickly covered my mouth and fell from the window. The music finished gently and I fled from the room. 

Was she the Masked Beauty?