The Princess of the Star

300 Into the Future

Introducing character

kiko8-116f.jpg

Kiko
Princess of Pyul

(Note: Pyul means star in korean)


 

   The land of Pyul is the kingdom towards the most southwards edge of what used to be the Korean Penninsula, where it is closest to the former Japan. 

  The population of Pyul is predominantly females. Despite owning a strong army, Pyul is the only kingdom out of the three that did not participate in any fightings or disputes, and chose to maintain as a seclusive, peaceful nation. 

  Unlike Taeyang, which disallows any females in their ruling system, or Dal, which allows both, Pyul's monarchy consists of only women, and is reigned by a Queen and her daughters.


[Dara]

 

  Engagement.

  That's a big word here. 

  ...

  ...

  ...

  Engagement.

  There's really nothing wrong with that, isn't it? In the dramas, royal princes are always paired with pretty princesses, no matter how cheesy it sounds. It's just strange how quickly it happened. I haven't even figured out why and how I even got here and now the only one whom I'm the most familiar with is about to be a married man. Well, if he's fine with it then it's okay, I guess?

  I should figure out how to get back soon. Staying here will only make things look weird and unconvinient. 

  The hangover is still throbbing in my head as I quietly got dressed and sneaked out of my room, silently hoping that luck will at least help me to get out of here unnoticed. I'll get back when the guests are gone.

 

  Did I just hoped for luck? Because it hits me full in the face.

  I stopped my escapade right before the front gates, where (guess what?) Jiyong is conversing polietly with the most stunning woman I had ever laid eyes on. The top of her dress looks almost like a kimono, which wrapped her around chest and upper torso perfectly, accentuating her curves, while the bottom of the dress flares out from mid waist to the ground -- A perfect fusion of a kimono and a hanbok. Her hair was pulled back neatly into a low bun, secured with a pale jade hair pin, and the way she smiles made the flower buds around the garden look like a decoration to emphasise on her impossible beauty. 

 Correction: Princes are always paired with beautiful princesses.

  I can't help but stare in awe at Jiyong and the Princess. A match made in heaven would be an understatement. Their combined visuals seem uncontestable even back in my world where beauty is easily achievable in clinics.

  I was so busy gawking at them that I almost missed out the third person who was hidden from view behind the couple. A man in his mid fifties, whom I assume is the King, shifted slightly. He shares an almost identital, almond shaped chocolate eyes with Jiyong, but did not had the aura of superiority like the Crown Prince. Instead he has a look of troubled sadness etched constantly on his face, and it is hard to tell that this is in fact the ruler of a kingdom other than the golden crown encrusted with diadems that sat on his head.

  Jiyong glances up from his conversation and our direction of vision hits almost instantly. Oh shoot oh shoot. I swallowed, blinking away from his unmoving stare. What is this hectic feeling thats arising again? All of a sudden, the amazement of the suitabilities of these two royalties ebbed away, giving way to another slow, drowning, slightly paunful feeling. It would have been better if I didn't have to see his eyes. It would have been better if we needn't run into each other. 

  I broke my eyes from his straight, unmoving eyes and walked over, greeting his guests with a low bow. Should I have knelt? I didn't know the gestures around here, so I guess innocence not guilty applies here. I looked up, and Jiyong is still staring deadpan at me. I cleared my throat and forced a smile. Even smiling feels hard now. It wasn't so hard to.. absorb the fact that Jiyong is getting married and all just now, but now it seems different.

  "Your guest, Jiyong?" The King asked.

  I stared at the floor instead because I still feel Jiyong's stare on me as he answered a quiet yes. Somehow I feel really out of place and inferior here, and I want nothing more than to excuse myself and let them have the privacy of making any necessary... preparations that they need.

   "Hello, did you have a good morning?" 

  It was a female's voice and god, even her voice sounds this melodic. How can somebody be this perfect? I looked up and is met with the Princess's kind smile. Did you have a good morning sounded really formal and weird, but thaty is the way they spoke around here and besides, with that angelic face of hers, anything sounds like a piece of well written music. 

  I bet I'll sound like a rural ahjumma if I tried greeting like this //

  I smiled back at her, but before I could answer, another voice did the introduction for me.

  "This is Dara, Kiko." I turned around and it is Jiyong who spoke. His stare still unsettlingly on me. 

  "Good morning, Princess Kiko." I bowed again. It isn't that much of a good morning today, actually, with the fact that I woke up with a rapping head and a failure to sneak out and the strange feeling of wanting to run somewhere high up and away from all the people to just be alone for a while. 

  "Where are you going?" Jiyong asked, and that did not sound like it is meant for the other two. I turned to him, and managing the bst casual look I can, I answered.

  "Just a walk around here."

  His eyes narrowed and I know he haven't got over me running away from Jisoo yesterday. What dangers could be around here though, if I just stayed away from suspicious looking trees that shoots arrows.

  "Well then take someone with you." Jiyong suggested, sounding horribly like a threat more like a suggestion with the way the words were squeezed out from his mouth. 

  The more I look at him, the more I hated to leave. It feels like a force of magnetism that keeps my eyes glued on him, the kind of assurance I get when he's nearby. "I'll be fine, Lord Kwon." I said tiredly. I almost allowed his name to slip out of my tongue. He shouldn't be like this in front of someone else. Someone that he's engaged to. They may get the wrong idea. She may get the wrong idea.

  I may get the wrong idea. 

  Probably due to the fact that I have been so casually using his name infront of him all these while, the resuming use of his formal term had him slightly taken aback, and he blinked at me. It looks so strange to see him without the sword held by his waist or the arrows slung on his back. Taking the advantage, I excused myself.

  "Congratulations on your engagement." I stuttered, avoiding his eyes that were piercing at me as I said that. I didn't know what his stare meant, and not knowing will probably make things much easier. I'm wishing him happiness on his engagement, but did I mean it? Is that choking sensation a part of my sincerity?

  I brush past the couple and bowed again to the King, who nodded with an masked confusion on his face and hurried out into the streets until I am finally out from Jiyong's following eyes.

  Why am I this stressed about something that has absolute no concern with me? I was so stunned with how compatible they looked a while ago, aren't I? Then why is it so hard for me to feel happy for them? WHat am I sad about? This is making me look detestable. Jiyong had saved your life for so many occasions already, and the Princess seemed like a genuinely nice person, so I should be grateful for the fact that he, who is at least, a friend, is partnered with such a great woman, should I not? Why should I not?

  I loitered around the streets when a series of thuds slowed me down. Hesitantly, I walked up to the alley where the sounds are coming from and groaned inwardly. Down that alley, it seemed that my "new found friend" Soohyuk had gotten into a brawl with a few people, who were throwing punches at him.

  I sighed. What is that kid doing taking on more people than he can? 


 

Sorry for the wait. I've caught the writer's block and

I feel like I screwed up this chapter >^<

Have a great weekend y'all.