Burning Towers

300 Into the Future

Has been a while.


  Dara slurped down the remaining contents of her bowl. No matter how much Seungri gets on her nerves, she has to admit that whatever he's teaching her is definitely making her feel better than she ever had in a long time, even though Jiyong, being the ice sculpted prince he is, doesn't seems to be responding. He has always been teasing and caring, yet cold and passive from the start, and it confuses her. Well, at least now he knows how she thinks. If he continues to be like that, then she would just have to take it as a silent rejection, right?

  Soo Hyuk gaped at her in disgust as Dara downed the soup in large, noisy gulps before slamming the empty bowl on the table, satisfied.

  "You don't have to clean the bowl for them, you know?" Soo Hyuk said skeptically, eyeing the spot clean bowl. 

  "I'm in a good mood!" Dara chirped, (not so) discreetly pulling a few strands of noodles out from her friend's serving.

  "Like I couldn't tell." Soo Hyuk mumbled, pulling the noodles into his mouth.

  Dara looked around and leaned in to the young man who's concentrated on his food.

  "I confessed to the Ice Lord." 

  "Of what? Which of the many crimes that you've committed did you own up to?" Soo Hyuk replied carelessly, his mouth full of food.

  "I told him I liked him." 

  Soo Hyuk stopped eating and lifted his eyes to the girl, who's head was in her hands that are on the table, her eyes wide and sparkling in anticipation at his reply. He resumed his chewing slowly, diverting his gaze away from her, suddenly occupied with a sinking feeling inside him. What does she want me to say? 

  "Aren't you two an item already?" He answered bluntly, popping the vegetables into his mouth, looking unconcerned.
 
  Dara sat up, a side of his lips pulled up, showing her teeth, an expression she has whenever she's offended. Both Soo Hyuk and Jiyong finds personal satisfaction in arousing the appearance of this expression. But this time, Soo Hyuk can't bring himself to be amused.

  "I told you we're not." Dara protested. "Do you not like Ji- I mean, the Ice Lord?"

  Soo Hyuk thought about that for a moment. Well, he hasn't got a reason to hate that young lord, but he certainly doesn't fancy him either. He've seen the prince on an occasion and that cold exterior of his almost have him an air of cockiness, but then again his years here had proved to him that Kwon Jiyong is a ruler that cared silently for this city, unlike the other magistrates before him. The only thing he can say about him is that they're two very different people. And Dara would know that one day.

  Soo Hyuk glanced at Dara, who was waiting for his reply with a hopeful sort of eyes. Why? Does this loner not want her only friend to hate the guy she's absolutely smitten with? He thought ironically, turning his eyes sharply away. For some reason, her gaze stings him. Why is she looking so worried? Why does she even care over whether I approves of that man at all? I'm nobody to her, why is she pretending to care? 

  Soo Hyuk downed the cup of the water on the table, distracted by the sudden mixture of irritation and inexplicable anger. Deep down, he knows that this stupid girl is genuine about their friendship, and that makes him even more confused. Who is she to be befriending and caring for people like this? Does she even know me well? How would she make sure that I'm not dangerous

  Soo Hyuk couldn't understand why he is so pissed off with this entire situation. He had only found it amusing and at most, stupid of her, to be trusting himself, but never this flared up, until she had told him of her obvious liking for the Ice Lord. What makes her think that he wouldn't use this as a way to threaten the Ice Lord? Everything around him is fuelling the bitterness inside him. 
 
  He stood up abruptly, placing the empty cup on the table with a little more force than usual, and left the restaurant. He didn't think he could stand staying there with all that strange feelings and fury without snapping at her at one point, which he's trying to prevent. 

  Dara gaped at his leaving figure and swallowed. He must've really hate the Ice Lord, Dara thought nervously, regretting even telling him in the first place. But then again, Soo Hyuk is one of the only friends she be got here. It's not as if she could be going around asking Jisoo for advice, and she certainly isn't pride-less enough have a consultation with Seungri either. Forget that, he'll just make fun of her for the entire hour. Dara sighed. This must be a bad omen. 

  Better start thinking of how to pacify him later. She thought sadly.

 


[DARA]

 

  I loitered along the streets aimlessly, watching how the merchants busily promote the exquisite ornaments that lined their stalls. 

  *Longgggggggggg sighhhhh*

  Maybe I'm overcomplicating things. MAYBE Soo Hyuk just had work that he had to rush off to. That friend never seems to have a proper grasp of time, always rushing here and there. Isn't it too easy to just assume that he really hates the Ice Lord?


  "Have you heard? One of the survillience tower was razed down last night!"

  The sound of two women gossiping had gotten my attention and being the inquisitive and self initiated learner I am, I got closer.

  "The one by the city wall seperating our town and the Gukhwa City 1?" The woman with a weaved bamboo basket gasped, clasping her hand to .

  "No! One of those by the boarders seperating us from the Taeyangs!" The other one that's selling an array of eggs said in a hushed tone. 

  "Omo, wouldn't that be dangerous? I heard from my old man that we need them to properly guard the frontiers!"

  Wow, that sounds like a big issue. If its about the frontier, then wouldn't Jiyong be directly involved? I frowned.

  "The scary thing is, they couldn't find any traces of kerosene. There isn't any other types of oil that can burn down such a high tower. They just couldn't figure out what the arsonist used." 

 

  Right, the people here now only uses kerosene or plant oil or coal as a burning agent. But still, there isn't ONLY these types of fuels just because they aren't aware that other natural-occuring fuels exists. Gasoline shouldn't be around anymore, since possessing the ability to manufacture them would lead to another sort of industrial revolution. GAH, I racked my brain to think of some types of natural occuring gases. I should have never slept in those Chemistry lesson if only have I known that these knowledge would be useful to me 300 years down the road. Ha.
 

  I continued my way back and was pondering over fire and the usual question of whether-I-have-became-too-accustomed-to-this-place when Sangchul, Jiyong's formidable but awkward right hand man ran straight into the residence before me, worry-stricken. It's not everyday that you see these usually composed soldiers rushing around like this. I quickened my pace and true enough, Sangchul reemerged with Jiyong, who has a grim look of silent fury on his face and his hand on the grip of his sword.

  "Wait!" I shouted, gripping his arm, suddenly disturbed by a bad feeling. "What happened?"

  The fearsome look in his eyes dissipated for a moment when our eyes met. "One of the towers by the boarders are down."

  "Another one?" I asked, shocked. It was just a moment ago when I heard that the first got down.

  Jiyong nodded grimly, his expression determined as he pulled away from my grip, but halted his step again. "Stay home, it's dangerous outside."

  "What about you?" I stopped him again. No matter how urgent he is, he can't just rush right into the enermies unprepared! The last time he was literally dragged home dripping with blood and knocked out by fever for a couple of days. There was this pinched feeling inside me and I quickly shut that image of a bloody and tattered Jiyong off my mind. Jiyong's expression loosened at the sound of that and he sighed, motioning for Sangchul to go ahead before he edged closer. 

  "Don't be stupid." He says softly, and to my surprise, Jiyong grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. "Don't worry." He added in a whisper. The way he seemed so unfamiliar and unsure of whether the phrase was a right one stung my heart. Has nobody been worried for him before? Not even when what he does can be enough to get him dead on a daily basis?

  "Don't... risk your life. Don't go. " I tried hoarsely, badly not wanting him to be there. This person can be mental sometimes, as if he believes himself to be immortal. There is no armor that would remain strong forever, there must be a day where it eventually gets pierced through.

  Jiyong didn't respond, and for a moment, he looked like he had wavered and I held my hopes up. Maybe he just needs to know that he doesn't always have to do this, that there can be more value to his life other than always trying to risk it for someone else, that everyone has the ability to love themselves.

  But Jiyong lifted his eyes to meet mine again before turning sharply around and ran off after Sangchul. I dropped my gaze to the floor and inhaled deeply. Of course, my persuasion stands no chance against his sense of responsibility. I guess this anxiety in me would be around for a while, and for a moment, I wondered if there are so little people around Jiyong because they couldn't stand having to fear if he would be able to come back home everyday.

 


[Jiyong]

 

  There seems to be a reason now.

  I have never cared about the possibility of dying on the battlefields. My days weren't calculated by the number of times  I managed dodge death again and again, but the number of enermies I can take down. Home seemed like a hotel. A place where I slept in and where I return to to rest. I never understood why my men were always sighing about the going back home when our military accomodations may well exceed some of the living standards they had. But I guess know why now.

  They all have someone waiting for them to go back.
 

  I had none. Well, I used to.

  I can feel the sweat forming at the back of my neck as I sprinted along, but I couldn't shake that look of Dara off my head. It almost seems like she was scared, stirring up that urge for me to stay and protect her from whatever she was afraid of. I remember that look of serenity and peace on her face whenever she fell asleep, and I wanted her to always be like that. But then I realised that the fear was for me. The fear was there in place of that fear that I never had for myself. It feels great, it feels warm and... alive, yet so insecure, because I know better than anyone else that this doesn't last. 

  But for now, I have someone waiting for me to go back.

  Lets be less reckless today. 


  

  Sangchul couldn't understand the situation. Like yesterday night's, there was no smell of kerosene, no smell of coal, no nothing. He was guarding just a few metres away and only looked away for a couple of seconds. The next thing he knew, it was set ablazed with the soldiers shouting all around. How can anyone be that fast? What did the arsonist used to light up the towers?

  He looked up and the Ice Lord had caught up with him after staying behind momentarily for Dara Park. He shook his head and upon that, the Ice Lord inspected the remains of the tower's structure himself. The same questions littered his mind. How?

  "The soldiers are starting to say that its probably a phantom fire." Sangchul said somberly, and quickly stopped when his flashed him a glare. "The Taeyangs fired a few arrows today, after nearly a month of silence. Because of the fire, a few men were hurt by their sudden attack."

  "Do you think the Taeyangs did this?" The Ice Lord asked.

  "Impossible." Sangchul denied immediately. "We wouldn't have missed it."

  The young prince thought for a moment, sweeping up the ashes on his fingertips. Whoever that is doing this must be intentionally weakening the defense of Dal by the boarders. 

  "There must be a mole within us." He concluded.

  "In the Fire City?" 

  The Ice Lord nodded.

  Looks like I'll have to visit the palace in the capitol, he thought silently.

 


1 Gukhwa City is the town that is the second closest to the Dal-Taeyang boarder,  a town that is seperated from the Fire City by a city wall. Gukhwa City is slightly richer than the Fire City due to its comparitively more stable security, and focuses on the manufacturing of textiles and cloth products. Gukhwa, in Korean, means Chrysanthemum. 

 

Sorry for the long wait babies, was superrrr busy.
Leave comments~
dara-cute-sniff-dara-2ne1-31901549-250-1