A place for crowns, but I'm not a princess.

300 Into the Future

[-]

 

           Dara stared at the sight in front of her in awe. She had always felt like she was back in history with the kind of environment here that didn’t seem like the futuristic city the people in her time would’ve thought the world would have been in 300 years, but this was it. In front of her stood a beautiful, polished carriage that was drawn by 3 horses, tied side by side. She blinked, having never seen an actual horse carriage before; let alone one that is so majestic. Seungri folded his arms in smugness as Dara got closer to look at the beautiful, strong stallions.

 

  “Done admiring these my babes?” He called out after a while, a lazy smirk hanging lopsidedly on his face. She has some taste after all, seeing how she actually appreciates these prized horses that he had specially got from the Pyul Kingdom.

 

  “We can’t take them to the palace…” A mutter was heard before Dara popped up from behind the second horse. The fifth prince’s mouth dropped open as he dropped his arms from his chest in disbelief.

 

  “What?” He spluttered.

 

  “Look,” Dara said as Seungri approached her grudgingly and stared down at what she was pointing at. Carefully, she pulled the strap that was firmly secured around the horse’s abdomen, revealing a thick friction burn beneath. “This one has one too.” Dara went on, lifting up the hem of her dress as she brushed past a slightly shocked Seungri to the third, straw coloured one, and did the same to the strap wrapped around the chest of it. Under the patchy hair under the leather, a layer of fresh skin was blatantly visible.

 

  “There’s no other ways to go to the capitol. We have to take the carriage.” Seungri said, but he looked hesitant.

 

  “Looks like animal rights aren’t well promoted here…” Dara muttered to herself. “Let’s take these off them and ride the first horse instead.” She suggested. The carriages are gorgeous. She sighs to herself. What a pity.

 

  “Ride a horse to the palace? For a ball?” Seungri asked loudly, looking scandalised. At this moment, Jiyong, who had just walked out of the mansion stopped by his frustrated younger brother.

 

  “This woman wants me to ride a horse to the palace.” He complained. The Ice Lord looked over at the girl who was already dismantling the straps off the stallions and saw the wounds etched on where the straps were.

 

  “I can send her there, by that horse.” Jiyong said pointedly, his eyes fixed on the girl going about in her work with her pearl white dress fluttering around her as she moved.

 

  “Don’t even think about it.” Seungri flashed his teeth at his hyung, who laughed a little and punched him.

 

  “Be careful.” Jiyong said, shifting his eyes to Dara, before patting Seungri’s should as the latter removed the bindings on the first stallion, a sleek black one that was the tallest of the three, before mounting it.

 

  “Get on.” Seungri hurried Dara, who broke into a grin at the compromise of the youngest prince, and got up the stallion uneasily.

 

  “Thanks, Seungri.” Dara chirped, and sighed, still disliking the situation of having to arrive so unglamorously very much, but accepting that there isn’t another way. She was just trying to help those poor things after all. He reminded himself to have a good talk with the stableman he employed that takes care of his stallions when he gets back.

 


 

 

  Dara has to admit, Seungri’s horse-riding skills was better than she had expected, even though he wouldn’t speak to her on the way in case he gets distracted. It’s like there are these little bits and pieces of Seungri that didn’t make him seem like the flamboyant, irresponsible Casanova that he tries to be. Dara hasn’t seen him traveling without someone who ferries him around before, but surprisingly, his riding is no way any inferior than that of Jiyong, who openly trains vigorously. There seems to be so many secrets that this family is hiding.

 

  It took over two hours before they finally passed through the capitol’s walls. Dara gasped at the vast difference between the place and the Fire City. While there are a few people who are still hungry and visibly poor in the town back home and starving people at the outskirts of the Fire City that is the closest to the boarders, the capitol was filled with beautiful, oriental buildings and people dressed in the finest materials. There wasn’t an inch of poverty anywhere in this place. Food seems to be abundant; and in the distance Dara sees two children pelting tomatoes freely at each other and mashing them up with their feet.

 

  “Welcome to the capitol.” Seungri uttered darkly, oblivious to Dara’s disbelief.

 

  The stallion slowed into a trot as they closed upon the palace. From the distance, the high, crimson walls sealing the royal place from the commoners were outstandingly visible. As they got nearer, what looked like tiny dots from a far materialized into palace maidens with their hair pulled into a high bun in an identical manner. The maidens stood a long horizontal line parallel to the palace walls with no one out of place. The horse halted into a stop and Seungri jumped off with an effortless leap before stretching his hands out to Dara, who got off unsteadily.

 

  “Welcome, Fifth Prince.” The maidens spoke in unison, bowing their head at the exact same time. Dara blinked at the sight and Seungri, looking unfazed, nodded in acknowledgment before leading Dara inside.

 

   The imperial guards stationed outside the grand gates pushed opened the doors to reveal a huge, lavish courtyard filled with guests that all seemed to be of importance. There were people that chose to be dressed in traditional hanboks unlike what she was wearing but there were others wearing similarly styled clothes too. Behind the courtyard, the entrance to what looked like the ‘Supreme Hall’ stood in majesty with golden pillars engraved with symbols of the dragon and the phoenix standing in guard outside it.

 

  “That’s where the King meets his guests and conducts his royal hearings and discussions with the scholars.” Seungri whispered to Dara, swiftly taking a glass of wine from one of the servants who’s passing by with a tray full of drinks. “You may want to grab my arm.”

 

  In awe, Dara complied, speechless from the sheer divinity that the palace eludes.

 

  “That, is the royal chambers.” Seungri explained, turning Dara’s attention towards the Southern complex, a massive building that stood behind two stone lions, each at either side of the entrance to the complex. “That’s where the royal family stays. It’s designed to be a maze that traps intruders or assassins intending to harm the King or his empress, and any other royalties. The ministers stay in a smaller complex that’s right behind this one.”

 

  They maneuver past the small crowds scattered here and there that were making small, social conversations. Occasionally, one or two would greet Seungri politely, inviting him to join them, while the latter would decline with the same ‘Maybe later.’ At other times, there would be men that cast their lusting glances on Dara, all the while holding their own partner’s waist, which made Dara very uncomfortable.

 

  Dara was looking around and absorbing the amazing sights around her when she felt herself halting. Perplexed, Dara glanced at Seungri to see why he had stopped before she traced his vision to an approaching figure.

 

  The Crown Prince strode over with a bored expression on his face. Other than the difference in his cape which is a dark, blood red, he was dressed similarly as both Seungri and Jiyong. The Crown Prince has a slightly darker skin than either of his half brothers, and a pair of sharp and hollow, but charming eyes.

 

  “You’re here, brother.” Taeil said slickly.

 

  “Hyung.” Seungri said stiffly. The air of tension was back again and Dara shifted her eyes from her partner of the night to the heir apparent nervously, unsure of what to do before she caught the Crown Prince’s eyes.

 

  ‘Ahh, look who we have here.” The Crown Prince smirked, “We’ve met again, Miss Dara.” He mused, bowing courteously, his eyes never leaving Dara’s ones.

 

  Dara strained a smile. She didn’t know what to say to this prince. From how Jiyong and Seungri had treated him, he did not seemed like a great person. Dara noted to herself to be cautious of this man.

 

  “Why is Dara with you? I wonder where is Jiyong. Surely he must be here tonight.” Taeil clicked his tongue in interest, taking a sip from his glass of wine. Seungri’s expression darkened.

 

  “He is, but Dara is with me.” Seungri spoke in a voice low and gravely. “You must know my hobby of collecting beautiful ladies.” He added, squeezing out a pleasant smile at his older brother, ignoring Dara who turned to looked at Seungri sharply.

 

  The Crown Prince straightens up, his eyes staring coldly into his younger brother’s ones as if he was trying to gauge him, before breaking into a smile.

 

  “Yes, she is beautiful.” Taeil agreed, toasting his glass towards Dara before taking a swing from it, finishing the wine before turning to walk away. Dara couldn’t understand the meaning behind his eyes.

 

  After she made sure the crown prince was nowhere near anymore, Dara slips her hand from Seungri’s arm and turned to looked at him with her brows furrowed. “What was that?” She whispered angrily. “What am I coming to this party as? Your collection piece?”

 

  Seungri stared blankly at the girl. “He doesn’t have to know who you are, Dara.”  He said in annoyance. “Don’t be sensitive. I’m trying to protect you here.”

 

  Dara sighed and took Seungri’s arm again. She must admit that these extravagant things and people are making her slightly disorientated. She glided around the event with Seungri as he introduced a few people to her every now and then quietly, and realized that there wasn’t many which he had addressed to as ‘a friend’ or ‘a nice guy’.

 

  “What’s with you and the Ice Lord and the Crown Prince?” Dara asked, just as people around them had started to waltz.

 

  “Its hard to explain. Get hyung to tell you one day. Where is he, anyway? I should  find him.”

 

  “You don’t have to.” Seungri heard Dara whispered and glanced up to see the King, Princess Kiko and Jiyong not far away from them. The king said something and Jiyong and Kiko exchanged a tense glance at each other, before stepping out onto the dance floor, with Jiyong taking her waist and her resting her hands on his shoulders, both their expressions solemn.

 

  Seungri frowned at the sight before turning his attention to Dara, who’s eyes were transfixed upon the couple waltzing slowly. Her face was expressionless but her eyes couldn’t mask the traces of pain as she watched, and Seungri pulled her gently away.

 

  In the distance,  the Crown Prince didn’t miss that brief flash of hurt in this mysterious woman’s eyes that were cast on his brother and the neighbor-country princess. He smiled in satisfaction, before turning to find where his mother were.

 

 


[Dara]

 

  I felt my breath jam somewhere in my throat.

 

  Not too far away from us stood Jiyong and the Princess, with Jiyong’s father beaming down upon them. The Princess.. The Princess looks.... Stunning. When has she not? The dress she was wearing was a fusion between ancient Japanese and Chinese, made of  red silk with patterns of floral of all sorts embroidered on it. On her waist tied a single strand of a thick black thread which highlighted her tiny waist. Her dress was a little out of place in the party, considering that there were only Dals here, but it seemed to represent her culture. Despite all that, she looks amazing, her small face was porcelain-like with a small,smile hanging on it.

 

  Only if their clothing had matched, they would look beautiful together.

 

  I watched as Jiyong led her down to the dance floor. Then, the ache came. It wasn’t the dramatic sort of aching. It was quiet, soft, and throbbing. It was alive and real. It was the reminder of how they seem to be so perfect together, on the surface, at least, and the realization of how insignificant someone that came from no where like me would be. It was faint and small, something that only I would feel and I would know I am feeling.

 

  The Princess caught my eye just as Seungri started pulling me away, and I turned away hastily. But it seems to be too late, she had paused her dance and started to make her way over. I gulped. I shouldn’t have stared so directly at them.

 

  “Hey!” Soft fingers tapped on my shoulder. I inhaled sharply. Its okay, Dara, its okay its okay its okay, turn around and face her. You can do this!

 

  I turned around and smiled at the Princess. Seungri, seeing that I have someone to talk to, just left to talk to a few officials and ladies by the side.

 

  “It’s Dara, right?” Princess Kiko asked, her voice crystal clear.

 

  “Yes.” I sound like I’m croaking.

 

  “I heard you came with the fifth prince by a horse because the other horses were injured.” She breathed, staring at me in wonder.

 

  “I- er well-” Why am I stammering?

 

  “You’re really nice. You know, the people here in Dal buys lots of floral and fauna from us Pyul. And they never took care of them.” The Princess said sadly. Right, Jiyong said that Pyul was known for their nature.

 

  “We just thought they needed rest.” I smiled weakly, relaxing a little. She was eccentric, but compared to the people around here, she seems more pure hearted than most of them.

 

  “I should go back now.” The Princess looked behind her and the King seems to be looking around anxiously. She grabbed my hand to my surprise and I 
blinked at her. “Thank you.” She said sincerely, before turning around hastily to leave, leaving a bewildered me rooted to my spot. 

 

  ? For letting the injured horses rest?

 


[-]

  Seungri led Dara around for the whole day, explaining all the wonders and weird events in the palace, as well as the crooks and the nice people. Among them, Seungri had stopped her and changed their direction away from a primply dressed woman that looked like someone with authority.

 

  “That’s Lady Kim. She is one of my dad’s wife. The Crown Prince’s mother.” Seungri told Dara darkly, and Dara stole a backward glance at the woman, who was toasting to an Army General. “Avoid her. There’s nothing good that this woman will offer you.”

 

  “What about the Empress?” Dara asked, and Seungri surveyed around the crowd for a moment, before gesturing to a lonely looking woman sitting at the far end of the party with maidens around her. She was wearing a crown similar, yet slightly different from that of the King’s and a fur cape. She sat looking slightly forlorn, and she had a pair of eyes that seem to be filled with nothing but sorrow as she watched her guests danced and laughed among themselves.

 

  “That’s the Empress.” Seungri sighed. “I know what you’re thinking, but she didn’t used to be like this. She had a son that died years ago and she became depressed since.”

 

  “Prince Seunghyun? The elder brother of you and Jiyong? The one the Crown Prince had mentioned when he came over to the house?”

 

  “Yeah.” Seungri whispered, looking slightly dazed as he thought of his late brother.

 

 

  A bell sounded, sending a deep ‘dong’ through the massive courtyard, which quieten down as the King stood up on the podium towards the Supreme Hall.

 

  “To all my guests and friends, i hope you have having fun today.” The King spoke, his low voice loud enough to be heard through the soft chattering and wine glass clinking. “But tonight, I have an important announcement. Rather than important, I should instead use the word ‘Joyous’. Tonight, we celebrate our annual party, but we also celebrate the union of two nations. I am happy to announce that my fourth son and the eldest daughter of the great queen of Pyul will be tying their engagement in the next full moon.”


 

 

Spent 2 hours to get the formatting right.

Caution guys, do not type in Microsoft word before transferring your story here because everything will get messed up big time.

Anyway, 

Over 200 subscribers now!

Me and my lousy grammar are super thankful.