Gone

300 Into the Future

  The small apartment was now littered with cans of beer, reeking strongly of puke and alcohol as Dara's eyes fluttered open, struggling to sit up amidst the apocalyptic headache. Surveying her surrounding, her drinking partner last night, aka her best friend, was no where in sight.

  "Bom yah?" Dara croaked, before letting out a loud groan when she sees the door of her apartment wide open. Where did she go now? Dara thought in exasperation, massaging her temples. It was just yesterday night where she was having some cozy alone korean drama time when a wild Bom charged into her apartment with a bag full of beer, weeping and cursing her boyfriend who had dumped her for some girl that was supposed to be her friend. It was a crazy night, and Dara can swear that she doesn't want to remember her undergarments that are probably lying downstairs after being flung out of the window by her drunken self.

  "Where the heck are you, Bom? Are you even sober yet?" Dara hissed into the phone as soon as Bom picked up.

  "THEY'RE CUDDLING AT HANGANG1, DARA!" Bom shrieked, making Dara pull the iPhone away from her ears, "WHILE IM CRYING OVER HIM, HOW CAN THEY BE ALL LOVELY DOVEY? I'M GOING TO KILL HER, I SWEAR DARA! I WILL KILL THEM BOTH TOGETHER!!"

  The line clicked off and Dara cursed. That catastrophe would really strangle them. Continuing her string of incoherent disses, Dara got up, grabbing along her windbreaker strewn on the ground and rushed out of her apartment.


[Dara]

  I hopped out of the cab, squinting in the sunlight. They'd better be here, the cab fee was the last of the spendable part of my pay this month. Where on earth is Park Bom? She should've listened to me that that man was nothing like an angel that she described long ago and save herself from all these heartaches and madness.

  I surveyed the surrounding-nope, no signs of any violence in the vicinity. People were scarce, mostly just passing by. Was she just saying that while she's drunk or did she pass out somewhere before even reaching? Wait no, I see it! I see them! There they are, two women screaming, pulling each other by their hair on the bridge. Oh my god Bom, you'd kill her if she falls in the river!

  I dashed up Mapo Bridge, edging her good-for-nothing-ex boyfriend, who's futilely pleading for Bom to stop yet not having the guts to interfere, aside, glaring at him in the process.

  "Bom ya, let go of her!" I screamed, using my strength and willpower to drag her away from Tiffany, who's screeching like a cat.

  "ILL KILL HER! ILL KILL HER TODAY!!! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS TO ME, YOU , WE WERE SUPPOSED TO BE FRIENDS!" Bom yelled, slapping blindly at Tiffany's head.

  "GEROFF ME, YOU CRAZY WOMAN!" Tiffany half hollered, half cried, reaching to bite Bom's fingers.

  The situation looked like none of them is going to walk out of this alive if the other survives. Bom ya, you don't need to end up in the police station for the 2nd time this year T T Why do I even bother getting myself into this mess???

  Fighting the very noticeable longing to just leave them here and fight it out, I continued to ATTEMPT to pull them apart. This Bom, she isn't even willing to lift a 5kg box up, where did she grow this much strength???

  "STOP THIS WILL YOU?" I screamed at them amidst their yelling and cursing.

  "GO HOME, DARA!" Bom flared, her hands still gripping Tiffany's hair tightly.

  "Fine." I sighed in exasperation, letting go of her jacket, "do whatever you want then, Bom. Don't call me if you need bail again."

  I turned to leave when a hand grabbed me on the shoulder, jerking me back forcefully. "ARE YOU JUST GOING TO LEAVE HER HERE?" Tiffany screeched in disbelief, her free hand digging into my shoulder.

  "DONT TOUCH HER!"

  "LET GO OF ME!"

   In a second, I'm completely tugged into their struggling, both of them pulling me towards their side. Bom reached down and gave Tifanny's hand a nice, hard bite. She screamed in pain, releasing both me and her attacker together. Bom toppled over, and that's when I lost my balance.

  Not sure whether if it was my scream or Bom's when I fell over the railings, I haven't even got time to react when I hit the water, with realisation hitting me at the same time.

  I'm going to die.

  Wah!!! This isn't the way I planned to leave this world! I will die on a comfortable, fluffy bed surrounded by my grandchildren and their grandchildren, weeping over me as I cooly tell them not to grieve (even though I'm not sure if I really do intend to live that long) BUT NOT THIS WAY! Not in this dirty green water, not in this flimpsy sleepwear, not for that bonkers woman Bom!

  I struggled against the current that's dragging me down. Oxygen is leaving me and my lungs screamed for air. Little tiny black spots started to blur my eyes. Don't stop moving, Dara. I told myself, feeling my own warm tears of fears contrasting the cold water. Keep struggling. Stay alive.

  But I couldn't. The stabbing pain in my chest slowly ebbed away, leaving me with nothing but fatigue. No strength, no breath, no nothing. I relaxed, and suddenly the violent water seemed so gentle, rocking me back and forth. At first my mind stayed with me and together we watched the rays of sunlight penetrating the depths of the water, then slowly, I couldn't think anymore.

  And then everything seemed still.


 

 

 

 

 

  Err, isn't it taking a little too long to die?

  I'm thinking again! I'm actually talking to myself! I'm pretty convinced that this is the afterlife if I'm not still drifting in the river, awkwardly alive, but not breathing. My ability to think returned to me, but I'm paralysed.

  Something pierced through the calm surface of the water, scattering rays of sunlight everywhere. Its a person! A red headed guy swam towards me, his eyes squinting, and plucked me from the riverbed with an arm, the other arm pulling himself with my body upwards. I stared, immobile, at his sleek jawline. I don't think dead people get to blush, but he's really quite good looking. I've spent so many nights watching dramas of handsome men saving drowning girls, who'd know it would really happen in real life?

  Or I should say real death.

  We ripped through the surface of the water and I drew in a long gasp of air, the searing, tearing pain in my lungs instantly returning. I choked, spluttering water everywhere, not even realising that the red head had carried me upshore.

  "Are you alright, lady?" He spoke, his voice calm but smooth.

  Lady? I was going to answered before I coughed up another mouthful of water.

  "Are you alright, my lord?" A man with a slouchy moustache jumped down from a stallion and rushed up towards the red head, his head bowed.

  My lord? A stallion? What the heck?

  It was then I managed to focus on what they were wearing. Leather. Leather, from head to toe, with armour protecting the chest and thighs. I would've laughed, I really would've, if I'm not surrounded by at least 30 men wearing similar gear and outfits. Are they filming a drama?

  I got on my feet unsteadily and the red head followed me up. All around me the landscape has changed. Forests of bamboo were all around and the Mapo Bridge was nowhere in sight. There were no pavement, no railings to stop people from falling into the river, no nothing. How far have I drifted? Why am I still alive if I've drifted that far?

  "Excuse me, but where am I?" I asked hesistantly. The red head raised a brow, surveying me from head to toe. That's when I became self conscious. My white nightgown is drenched and my hair is plastered against the side of my face. 

  "See, I told you she's not normal." An ancient-soldier-lookalike whispered to his comrade, or fellow actor, I don't know what they are. "Look at what's she's wearing."

  I wrapped my arms tighter around myself. 

  A clung sounded behind me and I wheeled around, scared by the sudden metallic sound. The red hair guy had pulled his armour over his head and set it on the ground before ping the outer layer of his leather jacket, placing it on me without a word. 

  "My lord..." The moustache man muttered.

  "Where do you stay?" The 'Lord' asked, his own crimson coloured hair dripping with water.

  "I- Insadong, Seoul, where can I get a cab here?" I stammered with a growing sense of alarm within me. Something about this place seemed reallly off.

  The redhead blinked and the 'soldiers' behind him bellowed in laughter.

  "Which era is she from? She's from Seoul?" One choked, slapping his thighs.

  "Where can I get a cab?" Another one mimicked, laughing.

  "Which era are you from?" I asked indignantly, swelling with frustration. "You people seem ancient to me! And crazy!"

  "How dare you be rude to our-" The moustache guy advanced, but redhead raised a hand to stop him. 

  Redhead stepped closer to me, and I moved back, heart thumping in alarm against my chest. Who are these people exactly? 

  "Are you positive that you're from Seoul?" He murmured quietly, and I swallowed, nodding.

  "What time is it?" I asked meekly.

  Not tearing his eyes away from my face, redhead answered, "6pm in the evening."

  WHAT? THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. HOW CAN I BE IN THE RIVER ALL AFTERNOON AND STILL BE BREATHING?

  Seeing the look on my face, redhead fished out a device from his back pocket, and double confirmed. 

  "Yes, its 6pm in the evening. 6pm, 6th of June, 2320."

  "23...20?" I croaked, getting lightheaded. Am I going crazy like them too?

  "Yeah, year Two thousand, three hundred and twenty."

  

  Year 2320? That makes me 300 years into the future!

  And I out.