2 foxes?

Fell for the fox [HIATUS]

Jonghyun doesn't take the fox back the next day, or the day after that, or after that. The fox stays with them for a week. Jonghyun loves it. It's so new and different to have something this small to take care of. He never had a pet growing up since his mother was allergic, but he still loved animals. He always felt that feeling to protect those who needed help or that were small. The fox is of course extremely different from what Jonghyun had in mind when getting a pet.

Minho constantly scolds Jonghyun for keeping it. He keeps saying how it's foolish of Jonghyun to think a fox could be a pet, but Jonghyun can see that Minho is slowly getting used to having the little furball around. He lets it out in the garden on days where Jognhyun sleeps in and he lets the fox sleep on the couch while they watch TV. Taemin has also made progress, since the fox was scared of him at first, but Jonghyun got it to calm down enough so that Taemin could pet it.

It follows Jonghyun around the house, curious about everything. It barks at the mirror and chases after the tennis ball that Jonghyun gets out. He bought some food for it the second day when he decided to let it stay. He found out that the fox was a he after the 3rd day, and it was through a painful experience which he has several clawmarks from. He brought it out to the garden outside their house so it could play and go to the bathroom. It sleeps in Jonghyun's room and keeps away from Minho. Almost like it knows that Minho is reluctant to let it stay.

It's after a week that Jonghyun wakes up to a whine from the fox. When he opens his eyes and doesn't see the white ball of fur on his chest he looks around for the source of the cries. The fox is on the window sill and his small paws are hitting the glass repeatedly. "Sweetie what's wrong?" Jonghyun asks, drawing the fox's attention for a second before it continues to whine. Jonghyun sighs and sits up. "Come back here. What are you whining about?" Jonghyun whispers, but he stands up to walk over to him. The fox paws at the glass and Jonghyun stands behind it. His view from the window is of the park, they live right next to it. He can only see the trees and some of the street lights. The fox keeps pawing at the window, almost as if trying to say something.

"What? You want to leave me?" Jonghyun teases, but he secretly hopes the fox just saw a bird or something. The fox huffs and paws at the window. "Alright alright, what's out there?" Jonghyun whispers and leans closer to the fox and then squints at where the fox is looking.

He doesn't see anything at first, but then he swears he sees the snow move for a quick second. He focuses on the spot again and then he sees the animal that's sitting on the snow, almost hidden except that it's fur is slightly darker then the white ground. It looks like Jonghyun's fox only larger and darker. Jonghyun can feel the tugging feeling in his heart, seeing that his pet has a family out there. "Is that your family?" He asks and the fox paws more franticily at the glass. "Yeah yeah I get it. You want to meet it?" He says with a pout. The fox turns, and tilts it's head.  

Jonghyun tries to smile, but he's too sad that the fox is leaving so it comes out as a grimace. His face is just a few inches from the fox as it leans forward and him on the nose. "Thanks." Jonghyun chuckles and turns to put on a hoodie over his tank top. He lifts up the fox and walks out of his room quietly so he doesn't wake up Minho who's sleeping on the couch. He slips on his shoes and walks out into the cold air. He hisses as the wind hits his face, but walks over to the park anyway. The fox is jumping in his hands, probably excited to meet the other again.

When they reach the spot where Jonghyun saw the other fox he lets go of his furball. "I'll miss you, don't forget about me." He jokes and the fox looks at him before they hear a yelp. Jonghyun startles as another fox attacks the small one. He's afraid it's hurting him but then he hears the happy barks they're making. They're jumping around eachother and Jonghyun smiles.

"Bye sweetie." He whispers and turns away from the heartbreaking scene. He got too attached. Minho warned him about that. It happened too quickly. He had only known it for a week and it still hurt like hell to leave it there.

 


 

Jonghyun doesn't see the fox for another two weeks. He spends his days walking around the house and neglecting his work in his office. He's a songwriter so his schedule is flexible, but after the first week he has to turn of his phone so his agent can't reach him. Taemin didn't understand why Jonghyun had just let it go and keeps pouting at Jonghyun as if it's his fault they don't have the furball anymore. It is his fault actually. He could have kept it, but it would have missed it's family and Jonghyun doesn't want that.

He feels the need to look out his window at night just in case. It's stupid, the fox has probably forgotten about him and is running around in the forest by now. It's a wild animal for christ sake, it should be in the wild. He sighs and walks back to bed. He's tired from sulking for 2 weeks straight and falls asleep quickly. 

When he wakes up it's because something wet is touching his face. He frowns and scrunches up his nose. He tries to go back to sleep and chokes down the hope when he feels something small on his chest. He's almost certain it's a dream when he hears a whine. His eyes open quickly to reveal electric blue eyes and he jumps. "Oh my god!" He yells and the fox startles with a squeek. "You came back!" Jonghyun says and laughs. The fox has his ears flattened, but he calms when Jonghyun him. "Am I dreaming?" Jonghyun whispers, his fingers brush over the soft fur on the fox's ears and chuckle when they twitch. "How did you get back in?" He asks and sees something in the corner of his eye.

He turns his head and meets dark purple eyes now. He's not surprised that his little friend brought with him his family. "Hello, come here. Don't be shy." Jonghyun says and reaches down to the other fox. This is the same one he saw from the window, with more grey tones and now that it's closer he can see it's alot bigger than the white one. It steps back when Jonghyun leans forward. The white one hums at it which makes it stop. "See, I'm not dangerous." Jonghyun says and smiles. The grey fox reaches forward and nudges his hand before stepping quickly back again. Jonghyun chuckles and takes it as progress. He leans back and brings the white furball up to his face. He looks into the blue eyes. "I missed you." He whispers and gives it a kiss on it's nose. The fox hums. 

They're interrupted by Taemin opening his door. "Hyung, Minho told me to ask you wha....OH MY GOD!" He jumps and of course startles the grey fox, making it run and hide under Jonghyun's bed. The white one just jumps but it doesn't run, already used to the young boy's hyper personality. "Hyung it's back? And was that another one? What are you, the fox whisperer?" Taemin says and crouches down to see the one under the bed.

"They just showed up, I don't know how." Jonghyun says.

"I let them in." Minho says from the doorway.

"What?!" They both yell. Jonghyun quickly the fox on his chest when it startles from the noise.

"They were pawing on the door and scratching it. When I opened they just ran inside. I let them into your room so I could go make breakfast in peace." Minho says as if it's completely normal. Jonghyun just gapes at him.

"And you're okay with it?" He asks with suspicion.

"Well, they came back, and I have no idea how, but it seems they're both friendly so why not? You have to pay for food and stuff though." Minho says and points a spatula at Jonghyun as a warning before he walks out. Taemin shrugs and looks back under the bed

"It's okay little one, I'm really sorry I scared you." Taemin mumbles and tries to reach out for the second fox. Jonghyun laughs when the grey fox whines at him. "Help me Hyung!" Taemin asks and looks up at Jonghyun.

"Are you sure? You're doing so well on your own." Jonghyun smirks at the pout on Taemin's face. The fox on his chest jumps off and skips under the bed. They only hear whining first, but then both foxes emerge from under the bed. The white one jumps up on the bed again to settle back on Jonghyun's chest and the other one settles on the end of the bed and looks at Taemin. Jonghyun guesses it's not sure if Taemin's a threat or not.

"Lets go eat." Taemin says after failing to bond with the grey fox. Jonghyun nods and lifts the fox off to go get dressed.

 


 

It takes the whole afternoon to get the second fox to get comfortable in the new surroundings. It's much more suspicious of things then the smaller and is probably the oldest. Jonghyun can't help but smile when the grey fox runs of after getting hit by the water in the sink. They take their time, petting him and letting it hear their voices. All the while the white one runs around happily, Jonghyun hopes it's happy that it's back because Jonghyun sure is.

"What should we call them?" Taemin asks that night when they're still sitting in the living room trying to figure out what to do.

"I don't know" Jonghyun says and brings the white one to his lap. It just settles down with it's head on Jonghyun's arm while his other hand softly through his fur.

"White one and grey one. Easy." Minho says without looking up from his book. Jonghyun tries to ignore the weird growling noise from the grey fox on the floor. It's really skeptical to Minho. Jonghyun almost thinks that it knows what he's saying.

"No, a real name." Taemin sighs. Jonghyun looks at the white furball on his lap. No name comes to mind other than sweetie. Jonghyun chuckles at himself for always being the cheesy guy, calling his pet sweetie.

"Well do you have any suggestions?" Minho asks and nods when Taemin doesn't answer. "Exactly." He says and flips to the next page.

"Key and Onew." Taemin says. Jonghyun looks up at him with a raised eyebrow. Minho mimics the face.

"What? What kind of names are those?" Minho says and scoffs.

"Well, the white one likes playing with my keys so his name is Key, and the grey one is soft and mushy so his name is Onew." Taemin says and looks proud. The grey one looks at him, then at the white one and shrugs. The white one, Key, barks and snuggles closer to Jonghyun.

"Looks like he likes it. Well then it's settled. Key and Onew, welcome to the family." Jonghyun says with a chuckle.

They go to their rooms and Jonghyun brings the foxes with them. "You can sleep with me for now. Good night." He says after he's changed and they're all on the bed.

After Jonghyun has fallen asleep, Onew nudges Key with his nose. He tilts his head to the door that's slightly ajar. They jump down and walk out on silent paws. They settle inside Jonghyun's office and Key sits down and watches as Onew trots back and forth on the floor. Key sighs and in a second there's a boy in the spot the white fox was in. A boy with fair skin and even fairer hair, his eyes an abnormal blue considering his asian features. Key just looks at Onew till he gets the hint and does the same. His hair is darker and his eyes are even more abnormal considering that they are a stunning, dark purple.

"It's easier to talk this way, I think I got too used to being small." Key says with a small frown and stretches.

"This doesn't seem right. Does this seem right to you? To just waltz into someone's home without them knowing that we can understand and hear all they're saying? Why did you make me do this?" Onew whispers in a harsh tone. Key pouts.

"I couldn't just leave him. He's been so kind to me. He helped me when I got lost from you. It's only for a while. In the summer we can return to the cabin like usual. It's too cold this winter to remain in fox-form and you know that." Key whispers back and huffs.

"You know we can't go back this summer! The hunters might still be there." Onew says with a frown. "And did you look at him? He won't let you leave unless you show him who you are." Onew sighs and looks at his friend.

They have a tradition. They have a house where they live in the summer in human-form and have summer jobs to pay for food and rent. In the winter they spend most of their time in the woods in their normal form. This winter though they got seperated after Onew found some hunters and sent Key away. Key convinced Onew that they could sleep here and spend the harsh winter here. But Key was too naive to understand how Onew felt about humans. Usually Kibum was also catious to trust people who didn't know. But for some reason these 3 boys were different. But they wouldn't understand. Those who knew about them, hunted them. That's why they spent the summer in human form, because they couldn't use the snow as camoflauge.

"This will go badly, I warn you as a friend." Onew says as final and then they turn back and return to Jonghyun's room. Key settles next to Jonghyun's head while Onew lies down at the end. They soon fall asleep.

 


 

Jonghyun thinks that he can get used to waking up with fur in his face from now on. He smiles and snuggles closer to the soft fur. It tickles and he ends up sneezing. It startles Key awake and Jonghyun giggles at the sleepy fox. It rubs it's paws over it's eyes and it's too adorable. Jonghyun turns his head to find Onew sleeping at his feet. He Key once before standing up to get ready. Today he really needs to pick up on his work. He also has to mentally prepare to call his furious agent, he can't wait to do that. But the negative thought vanishes when he hears the familiar sounds of paws behind him on his way to the kitchen. 

"Hey, sleep well?" Minho asks when Jonghyun arrives in the kitchen, he nods and sits down at the kitchen island.

"You know, when we first started living together I didn't see you as the food making type, and yet you always make breakfast before we wake up." Jonghyun says as Minho sets the food on the table.

"Yeah well I didn't see you as the guy who slept until noon every day so I guess we both got it wrong, huh?" He says with a smile. Jonghyun nods and Minho sits down to eat with him. "I know you haven't stepped into your office for 2 weeks. Are you starting today? Because I've gotten some scary voicemails from Heechul-hyung." Minho brings up while they eat. Jonghyun's hand stops right infront of his mouth.

"Is he really angry?" He asks and gulps.

"I think that you should finish eating quickly and then bring some snacks with you while you work. You'll be spending a lot of time in there." Minho smirks. 

"Hyung look. Onew likes me!" Taemin says when he walks into the kitchen. The grey fox stops following him and looks up at the boy before turning and walking away again with a scoff.

"Yeah, he loves you." Jonghyun laughs, Taemin flips him off and sits down beside Minho. They eat in silence and is interrupted by the small whine from under Jonghyun's chair. Jonghyun looks down to see Key. "Hey, you hungry?" He asks and the little fox barks.

"I swear those foxes have perfect timing on their responses it's creepy." Minho mumbles. Onew trots back into the kitchen and sits down next to Key. He barks as well as if saying that he too wants food. Jonghyun rubs his hands on his jeans before standing up to find out where he put the food he had bought Key the first time. "Left cabinet." Minho mumbles.

 


 

 

"Bye hyung!" Taemin says and drags Minho out of the door after they've eaten and gotten ready. Jonghyun picks up the plates and puts them in the dishwasher. He knows he's stalling, but phonecalls with Heechul has always been hell. 

When he can't find anything else to do he slumps into his office and sits down in his chair. Since he is the only one with a job that doesn't require him to go anywhere he got the spare bedroom when they bought the house. He now has both his guitars and his piano in here as well as his little studio. He fiddles with the phone in his hand. He's about to press the button when the doorbell rings. Inside he's happy to be interrupted so he tosses the phone on the desk and walks out to open the door. The happiness withers when a pissed off Heechul storms inside when he opens the door.

"Kim Jonghyun. You better have the best excuse in the world to ignore me for 2 weeks? Is your phone broken? Did you get into an accident? Did you have to leave home because your sick grandma in Busan was on her deathbed? Please enlighten me." He rambles on and turns around with his hands on his hips. Jonghyun is paralyzed for a second before he turns around. But he just stutters in fear of saying the wrong thing. Heechul glares. "I thought so. Is it a girl? A boy?" He asks and walks into the living room to fall back on the couch. Jonghyun follows, but doesn't sit down.

"I'm really sorry Hyung, it was stupid." He says instead and rubs his neck. "And no, there's no girl, or boy." He blushes. He looks around, trying to find the reason of his problems and smiles when he sees him hiding under the table.

"This is the reason." He says and crouches down to pick up Key. Key squeeks, but doesn't fight.

"Is that a fox?" Heechul's glare softens to curiosity as he stares at the cute creature.

"Yeah, I found him alone in the park 3 weeks ago. After a week I let him go because he found his family, but they came back yesterday." He says and holds the fox close, rubbing his nose in the soft fur that he loves. Key squirms.

"They? So there's more?" Heechul asks. Jonghyun looks around again, trying to find the other one.

"Onew? Where did you go?" He asks and puts Key down who immediately runs of to where his friend is. The grey one yelps when Key nudges him out from his hiding spot. It walks out with it's eyes locked on the new human that's entered their area. "He's a little catious. The white one is Key."  Jonghyun says and said fox skips back to Jonghyun.

"This was the reason you didn't call me back? Because your pet disappeared?" Heechul says, the glare is replaced with a smirk. Jonghyun blushes again and looks down at Key.

"Yeah, I got really sad when he left. I know, it's stupid. Can we just get back to work?" Jonghyun gives Heechul his puppy eyes.

"Sure sure. I need to know how far you've gotten and then I have a new offer as well." Heechul says and stands up to walk into Jonghyun's office. Jonghyun sits down in his chair with Key on his lap. The white fox curiously places it's paws on the desk to look at all the equipment.

"I'm probably done with the song by the end of the week, if I work my off. I just have some few details I want fixed. What's this offer you have?" Jonghyun asks. Heechul leans back on the desk. His hands reach Key so that he can smell him before he pet his head. Onew is watching him closely from his spot on the piano.

"The company has finally agreed after years of me badgering them, they want you to debut." Heechul says and focuses on Key who's now lost his interest in the equipment to enjoy the hand on his head.

Jonghyun's jaw drops. Then he bolts up from the chair, Key jumps and lands on his feet, giving Jonghyun what he guesses is a glare. He jumps and gives Heechul a hug. He's so excited. "That's awesome, oh my god, this is amazing!" He mumbles.

"This is huge, so I trust you to be serious and make this a hit, okay? The company is letting you go loose on this, I've sent some of your notes and they liked your style. They're talking about some new thing they want to try out. A collection of sorts. " Heechul says and puts his hands on Jonghyun's shoulders to calm him down. Jonghyun nods. He looks down to where Key is rubbing on his legs. Jonghyun lifts him up and hugs him. Key struggles in the tight hold, but relaxes and puffs air on Jonghyun's neck. "Well, I guess there's nothing else to talk about. I hope that your two new pets won't be in the way of your work." Heechul gives Jonghyun a soft glare, but he smiles as well and then walks out. Jonghyun follows him but doesn't really listen. He's too excited to do anything other then run his fingers through Key's fur.


 

Second chapter is up again!

I changed mainly the part about Jonghyun's new offer. Instead of him making a duet with IU he gets a debut!! I'm thinking something along the lines of his collection album, with all the stories from his radio. 

I hope you like it and that you have patience to wait for the rest of the story!

 

Thanks byee

chu~~