With a Side of Baekhyun

B.O.Y.F.R.I.E.N.D.S

So Baby_KyungFu_Panda and I finished this ficlet, and we're quite proud of it. We hope you guys like it and leave comments and such because critique is really important to helping us become better writers. So comments are much appreciated.

Also, we also received two comments and I did try to respond to them, but they didn't show up. So if the two commenters receive my responses, please let me know. Thank you.

-Chencing_Machine


The basketball game was about two hours from starting, and Wu Yifan, Chanyeol, Jongin, Minseok, and Jongdae figured they'd stop by one of the most popular family-owned restaurants in Korea for a quick brunch. Apparently, Byun Baekhyun partially owned the restaurant, which meant they will most likely be seeing him there.

Chanyeol had personally never been to the place, but Yifan was a regular who highly recommended it. So why not? Though he actually agreed after finding out Baekhyun worked there because he thought the boy was cute. Except, no one needed to know that part.

So there they were at the restaurant. Yifan was greeted by Baekhyun's mother and the restaurant's hostess before being sat at a booth that happened to be next to Jongin's boyfriend, Kyungsoo's. There was no doubt that Jongin would- and did- sit practically adjacent to him.

"Hi, Kyungsoo hyung." He tapped on his shoulder to get the elder's attention. Kyungsoo turned to him with a light smile and began to say something in return but he was cut off by Yifan.

"Look at the loving couple." He smirked at the blush creeping upon both of their cheeks.

"Hello, Jongin." He chuckled and turned back to his tutor circle that consisted of him, Zitao, and Junmyeon.

"I hate you, Yifan." Jongin muttered and crossed his arms over his chest. Chanyeol cackled, high-fiving Yifan and ruffling the maknae's hair.

"Will you three cut it out? We still need to come up with drinks before the waiter gets here." Minseok scowled, flipping through the menu.

"Are you still cranky that we interrupted your call with Luhan this morning?" Chanyeol teased and leaned forward to capture on of his cheeks between his thumb and forefinger.

"Stop it, only Lu-ge can do that." He snarled and slapped Chanyeol's hand away. Yifan's eyes widened at the second mention of Luhan when he finally caught on.

"So you and Luhan, huh? When did this happen?" He asked with a smirk.

"Last week. After he broke his arm." Jongdae answered for him. Yifan let out a snort and turned to face him.

"Wait, so is the falling down the stairs story true?" Chanyeol nodded.

"It's a pretty cute way to go out with someone." He commented, setting his menu down in front of him.

"You mean like how Jongin went to Kyungsoo-sshi and Junmyeon's Mathlete's tournament and danced to Swan Lake-"

"It was La Bayadere, Yifan. Get your facts straight." Jongin rolled his eyes exaggeratedly. Kyungsoo and Junmyeon looked towards the table at the mention of their names. Kyungsoo blushed, giggling at Jongin's slight embarrassment.

Right then, their waiter arrived at their table at the same time the older Mathlete's eyes met Jongdae's, but he quickly averted his gaze to Yifan, who seemed pretty proud of himself.

"You somehow manage to make yourself lamer by the day." The basketball star laughed out loud. Everyone in their social bubble snickered when Jongin's mouth formed into a pout and Kyungsoo put his arm on his shoulder for support, but with some difficulty thanks to the barricade called a booth separating the two.

"Kyungsoo-sshi kind of sounds like kyung-sushi. Sushi sounds pretty good right now," Minseok hummed as he scanned the restaurant's menu. "It's not too early for sushi, is it?" He had been the only one to acknowledge their waiter: Baekhyun, of course.

"It's never too early for sushi, hyung." He chuckled, earning a grateful look from Minseok.

"I bet Jongin would like some of that Kyungsushi." Chanyeol quipped. He finally turned to look up at the waiter, and when he did, his breath audibly hitched.

It just had to be Baekhyun. Why couldn't it be his brother, Baekbeom, so I wouldn't have to worry about making a fool out of myself?! Chanyeol inwardly freaked out. Before him was not exactly the same fashionista he recognized at school.

Instead, Baekhyun is wearing some dark blue skinny jeans that act as a second skin, a pair of black Oreo 5s on his feet, and a simple black Avengers' t-shirt but the logo was sequined to perfection. He even got one with the gradient pattern done correctly. Not only that, but he had some slightly large glasses covering his eyes, accentuating what Chanyeol guessed was perfectly applied eyeliner.

Everyone else turned to face their waiter; all of them, with the exception of Yifan, gaped at Baekhyun like he was the northern lights.

"Your usual, Yifan?" Baekhyun asked the basketball player expectantly, holding his pen against his notepad.

"Every time I come in here, Baek. New shirt?" He chuckled and handed Baekhyun his unopened menu. The younger boy beamed and looked down at his superhero merchandise.

"Yeah, do you like it? I sequined it myself. It looked so boring without them." He buzzed excitedly. His eyes crinkled adorably when Yifan nodded, and some of the others at the table murmured in agreement. The only person who remained completely silent throughout the subject was Chanyeol, who was biting his tongue to keep himself from saying anything stupid.

He sequined it himself? He probably spent so much time on it. His shirt looked like it was done by professionals. Maybe he sequins and bedazzles all of his clothes. Who knows?

"So I already have your drink. What about the rest of you guys?" He asked everyone, starting with Minseok.

When he got to Chanyeol, the second tallest of the group stuttered out his choice of beverage. Baekhyun gave him a concerned look as he took the booklet.

"Are you alright? You're looking a little flushed." Everyone's attention was now at Chanyeol, and then there were wicked grins on their faces.

"F-fine. I'm fine." He cleared his throat and forced a smile that Baekhyun could see right through.

"Mmhmm. I'm going to get you some ice water, too. I'll be right back." Baekhyun gave him a light smile then walked off with his notepad.

"So you have a thing for Baekhyun, huh?" Minseok gave him a devious smile - contrary to Baekhyun's sweet one - that foreshadowed trouble.

"W-what are you talking about?" He quivered under Minseok's stare.

"You know exactly what he's talking about." Jongdae added.

"You and Baekhyun. I can see it." Yifan mused.

"Chanyeol and Baekhyun, sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-L-M-N-O-P!" Jongin clapped stupidly and earned laughs from everyone- including Kyungsoo's table - except from Chanyeol.

"It's not like that." He retorted defensively.

"You're about as obvious as a splatter of black paint over a white canvas." Minseok laughed.

"I'm not obvious if there's nothing to be obvious about." Chanyeol scoffed. No one was having it.

"You should go get with that. He's single." Yifan suggested.

"And how would you know that?" Jongin furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'm a regular here. He goes to school with us. He sometimes goes to the games. How wouldn't I know?" He listed with his fingers. "Anyway, about Baekhyun. You should totally get with him. I can use the free food."

"Enough, you moocher. I don't like him like that." The lie tasted bitter in Chanyeol's mouth. Truth is, he really liked Baekhyun, especially in his Avengers' tee and glasses. He looked downright adorable.

"Oh, but you do." Minseok sent an evil smile his way and Chanyeol gulped. Before he could say anything, Baekhyun came back with their drinks.

"Alright, green teas for Yifan and Minseok, spearmint mocha for Jongdae, peach mango smoothie for Jongin, and a sweet tea and a water for Chanyeol," He knows my name. And he says it so cutely. "Are you guys ready to order?"

"Yeah, I'll have the chirashizushi. I'm not too picky about what goes in it. I like all food." Minseok shrugged. Baekhyun chuckled and took his menu as he jotted down Minseok's order.

"I'll have the pumpkin steamed buns, hyung." Jongdae grinned kindly. Then, Jongin asked for kongguksu, and when he got to Chanyeol, the taller boy froze again.

"You're turning red again. Maybe you should drink some water first?" Baekhyun suggested with concern in his voice. Nodding, Chanyeol reached a shaky hand towards his water and brought it to his lips before taking a long gulp.

"In the meantime, we'll go ahead and order for Chanyeol here," Minseok smirked as Chanyeol sputtered out his water and gave his friend a pleading expression, which went completely ignored.

"Our friend here would also love some pumpkin steamed Byuns." Jongdae cackled.

"With a side of-" Minseok paused and turned to his best friend with a snort of anticipation. "Baekhyun." The entire table- save for Chanyeol- burst into a fit of giggles. Even Yifan couldn't help but too laugh.

"O-or maybe you'd prefer some Baekmyeon soup?" Jongdae continued with laughter. At this point, Chanyeol wanted to crawl into a cave, shrivel up, and die. His cheeks tinted even more and he was certain Baekhyun knew why he was red to begin with.

How many of these horrible food puns can they even make?

From under the table, he made sure to give him a hard kick to the shin. Minseok yelped; Chanyeol gave him a seemingly pleased glare.

"Are you alright, hyung?" Baekhyun asked. His eyebrows were furrowed again. Chanyeol realized he probably shouldn't have kicked him until Baekhyun left because now Minseok could make him seem like a bad person to be around.

"Y-yeah. I just moved my broken arm a little too much that's all." He lied through gritted teeth. Chanyeol sighed gratefully as Baekhyun nodded in understanding.

"So, about your food, Chanyeol. Are you ready to order?" Chanyeol mentally cursed before opening his mouth.

"I apologize for these trolls. I'll just stick with the same thing as Minseok." He shyly gave Baekhyun his menu, and the boy smiled warmly in return. The gesture caught Chanyeol off guard. Why did this have to happen?

"He thinks you're cute." Yifan spoke nonchalantly after Baekhyun left the dining area. Chanyeol scoffed and swirled his straw around in his glass.

"He thinks I'm a joke. You people are dead to me. All of you." He growled at Minseok and Jongdae then pouted in his spot.

"Awe, Yeol. He's into you. Just give it time. He'll come around." Yifan chuckled. Chanyeol huffed and wallowed away in his own boat of self pity for the rest of their stay.

----

The food was great. He could see why Yifan came here so often, and he couldn't see why he himself didn't. He would definitely consider going again, only this time alone or with people who wouldn't ruin his chances with a cute boy.

As they were about to leave, Yifan, Minseok, and Jongdae had to stop by the restrooms. Jongin transitioned to Kyungsoo's table, where he wrapped his arms around the smaller boy and hooked his chin over his shoulder, watching him explain the numbers to perfection. Chanyeol was alone at their table and was looking through his wallet for a decent tip to leave Baekhyun when he felt a hand grasp his shoulder. He looked up to find the owner of the hand gone and a note right in front of him.

I realized I forgot to give you your side of Baekhyun. You should come by and get it after Yifan's game.

Chanyeol's eyes widened and he looked around the restaurant; he finally met Baekhyun's gaze. The elder winked and proceeded to help out the table of a small family.

"I better apologize to Minseok for kicking his shin." He mumbled to himself and held the note to his chest.

At this point, he couldn't wait for Yifan's game to be over.