Good Fortune Misfortune

B.O.Y.F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Hi, guys! I was originally going to postp this one and the Baekyeol together, but the editing process is taking longer than expected. Thankfully, school is over and Baby_KyungFu_Panda and I have three months to finish this. And it won't take that long. Anyway, enjoy this Xiuhan ficlet and let us know what you think! And thank you guys so much for subscribing!

-Chencing_Machine☺️


Luhan had never been fully coordinated. In fact, he was the complete opposite. Ever since he was little, he could never stay upright or last a day without getting hurt.

 
Ironically, despite being the way he was, he was a soccer player. And apparently a pretty good one for making varsity; that is unless he only made it because he was a sunbae. Though no one truly understood how he made the team in the first place, they were still happy for him.
 
----
 
Kim Minseok was running late. He had to be at his locker to meet Jongdae for a prank they were planning on Kim Junmyeon. This was the only time he had to plan it in person, and he was wasting it.
 
"Watch where you're going, Minseok hyung." Park Chanyeol had smirked as the elder ran passed him in a rush.
 
"Sorry, Yeol." He called out from behind himself. Minseok was pretty certain Chanyeol didn't hear him, but that was the least of his worries. He could apologize to him again later.
 
He turned a corner towards the staircase that lead him to the first floor and right across from his locker, running down them. He spotted Jongdae right at his locker talking to Yixing. Just as he had began to call out to them, someone had unfortunately tripped and tumbled down the stairwell.
 
Right when Minseok had heard a shrill cry, he turned around to face the boy who caused it tumbling his way. Frantically, he moved to help him, however, Minseok only wound up rolling with him.
 
When they reached the ground, all eyes were on him and the person he came down with. He looked down to find that he was on top of the poor boy: Luhan.
 
"A-are you ok, Minseok hyung?" The blond soccer player asked from below him. Minseok gaped at him incredulously and scoffed as he was being lifted off the ground by Jongdae. He winced as his best friend grabbed ahold of his left arm.
 
"You fell down the stairs and you're asking me if I'm ok?!" Minseok baffled as Jongdae inspected his body and face for injuries while Yixing helped Luhan up. The younger boy let out a small yelp when both of his legs were properly on the floor. He lifted his right foot back slightly to keep it from hurting less, but pain shot through the entire leg after moving.
 
"I'm fine. Things happen. But how are you? Thank you for attempting to save me. The thought was there and all." Luhan smiled down at Minseok and chuckled.
 
"To tell you the truth," Minseok started to say. "I think you may have broken my arm." Trying to lift it up, he bit his lip to keep from making a pained noise.
 
Jongdae and Yixing interrupted their conversation, suggesting they go to the nurse. Agreeing, the four boys walked- Luhan limped- towards the other side of the school.
 
----
 
They were transferred to an actual hospital after the nurse visit. Missing soccer practice, Luhan was laying back on a hospital bed with that god awful crinkling paper that constantly made noise and a pink fiberglass cast wrapped around the entirety of his right leg. And missing his plans with Jongdae, Also- missing his plans with Jongdae- Minseok was sitting on the bed adjacent to him with a similar cast (though his was purple) in a white sling adorning his left arm.
 
Silence. The only noises heard were the crinkling of Luhan's bed with every tiny movement he made. Minseok could clearly tell that the poor boy was annoyed with the paper and about seconds away from getting up and tearing it off the bed. The only thing stopping him from doing so was his injured leg.
 
"I-I'm sorry you broke your leg." Minseok apologized for Luhan's misfortune shyly, unsure if how else to show empathy for him.
 
"I'm sorry I broke your arm," Luhan burst into laughter. His face lit up in what Minseok realized was genuine gratitude. "You're very cool about it. I'm pretty sure most people would hate someone after they caused harm to them." He continued with a bright smile.
 
"Well most people would be moping about breaking a limb." Minseok teased and got an airy laugh out of the younger boy.
 
"I'm used to it. It's no problem at all anymore," He dismissed and admired his cast. "At least my cast is pink. It's such a pretty color, no?" Minseok couldn't help but chuckle at Luhan's unintentional aegyo, seeing as he had his head cocked to the side in question and his cheeks looked very pinchable with that adorable smile he sent his way.
 
"It works for you. I couldn't pull off that color." He agreed. Luhan blushed and continued to smile at his cast.
 
"I hope this means you'll be the first to sign it." He replied thoughtfully. And in all honesty, Minseok was definitely considering it.
 
----
 
Jongdae and Zitao were their first visitors. While Jongdae had a sad expression on his face when he saw Minseok, Zitao had a knowing smirk.
 
"Minseok hyung, how's your arm?" Jongdae asked with a sad smile, inspecting the cast.
 
"The doctor told me it was a small fracture, but it still needed a good month on the sling before I can walk around without it." Minseok shrugged. Jongdae nodded in understanding and fished something out of his backpack.
 
"Mind if I sign it then?" He asked as he held out a Sharpie marker.
 
"Actually," Minseok looked over Jongdae's shoulder to see Luhan smiling innocently at the two. "I promised Luhan he'd be the first to sign it." He took Jongdae's Sharpie and hopped off the bed, making his way towards the boy with the broken leg.
 
"Thank you, Minseokkie." Luhan giggled as he took the marker from Minseok and grabbed onto his hand for leverage. He smiled at his message before handing the Sharpie back to Minseok.
 
I'm still sorry for breaking your arm, Baozi. With a little drawing of a smiling steamed bun.
 
Minseok chuckled at the note before leaning down to write on Luhan's thigh. When he finished writing, Luhan took a look and giggled.
 
"So I'm a fairy to you, hyung?" He raised an eyebrow at Minseok. Shrugging, the elder blushed lightly and nodded.
 
"A pretty one." He said without thought but instantly regretted how words when Luhan's eyes widened.
 
Zitao let out a choked sound from behind Luhan that certainly got everyone's attention. Taking his permanent marker back from Minseok's hand, Jongdae fled and took Zitao with him. "Let's not watch wherever this is going. It may be sad or funny. There's no in between." He rushed before Zitao could utter a sentence.
 
"You think I'm pretty?" Luhan beamed excitedly. Minseok knew he wasn't going to get out of this by playing it off as if he said nothing. Besides, Luhan seemed elated, so there was a good possibility that he wasn't going to leave unhappy and embarrassed.
 
"I think you're very pretty." He spoke truthfully and also bluntly. Minseok's boldness caught Luhan slightly off guard; the already apparent blush pinkened to match his cast.
 
"E-even after I broke your arm?" Luhan asked incredulously. Minseok released a chuckle and nodded his head.
 
"That does not change your beauty, or your optimism, or even your personality in general, Luhan." By now, Minseok was practically admitting his feelings to the younger boy that he had been fawning over for months.
 
"You know, Minseok," Luhan began with a playful grin. "Mother always told me that I should hold on to those who are honest, admirable, and overlook my flaws." He chuckled when reminiscently.
 
"What flaws?" Minseok gave him a goofy smile that had Luhan throwing his head back in laughter.
 
"You're very cute, Baozi." Luhan mused after a moment of no words.
 
"Am I cute enough to ask you on a date and expect a yes?" He asked confidently. Luhan blushed profusely, ears and neck flushed pink.
 
"W-what?" He gasped. Oh my god, is this really happening?! Apparently, Luhan's next response was far too delayed for Minseok's satisfactory.
 
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked. I should have kept that to myself. I'll just go-" Minseok made a move towards the door, but a hand on his shoulder pulled him back.
 
"Waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait! Stay," Luhan shouted and turned Minseok around so the elder was facing him. His face expression went from shocked to smiling in a matter of seconds. "What I meant to say was yes. Yes, you are definitely cute enough to expect a yes." He giggled when Minseok looked hopeful again.
 
"Then, Luhan, will you like to go for some bubble tea after we get released from this place?" He looked at Luhan expectantly as the boy faux pondered.
 
"No." He hummed and laughed at the unbelieving visage Minseok donned.
 
"What?" He raised his eyebrow in confusion, feeling slightly embarrassed that this clumsy boy with a broken leg is laughing in his face.
 
"Come on, Minseok. Do you really believe I'd ever say no to you?" Luhan smirked cheekily. Minseok gaped at him, suddenly feeling stupid. How could he ever think this boy wanted to embarrass him? He was such a sweetheart to everyone he met.
 
"S-so it's a yes?" He asked for reassurance. Luhan gave him a playful shove then pulled him closer. He wrapped his arms loosely around 
Minseok's neck, and Minseok, his waist.
 
"For being very smart, you sure are dumb." Minseok scoffed at this kid. Who does he think he is? He asked himself in a teasing manner.
 
"Lulu, I'm pretty much an expert when it comes to flirting. Don't even kid yourself." He chuckled when Luhan shrugged.
 
"I don't know, Minseok. I think you're pretty novice, if you ask me." Minseok was about to say something but was cut off by the swinging of the door.
 
"Oh, am I interrupting something? Sorry, I just wanted to inform you guys that you are now released. Carry on, we can wait." Zitao spoke in a flustered tone before closing the door.
 
"I guess that means we better head to that bubble tea date then?" Minseok pulled away from him and grabbed his belongings. Luhan giggled and nodded in agreement.
 
"Yeah. Just let me grab my-" Minseok was already one step ahead of him, holding them out before Luhan could continue. "Crutches."
 
Minseok giggled while Luhan took the crutches from him, leisurely and carefully maneuvering his body to where it was able to land without complications.
 
By the time Luhan gracelessly ended up on the floor, the door opened again to reveal Jongdae and Zitao.
 
"We have your pain medicine prescription and stuff. Ready to go home?" Jongdae and Zitao waved the papers given to them by the nurses for emphasis.
 
"Actually, Minseokkie and I are going out for bubble tea. But we can go ahead and stop by the pharmacy after our date. Can't we, Baozi?" Luhan turned to Minseok, who smiled at his nickname and nodded his head.
 
"Oh, well we can take you guys if you want-" Minseok cut Jongdae off politely by raising his hand up.
 
"Nonsense, Jongdae-ah. You've been so helpful already today." He kindly dismissed, attempting to Luhan but ultimately failing when he couldn't properly do it because he had a sling and Luhan had crutches.
 
"It's ok, hyung. Maybe next time when I'm reduced to a boot?" Luhan asked after the many unsuccessful attempts. Minseok nodded, still looking slightly defeated, when it hit him: next time.
 
There will be a next time.