Nerves of Steel

B.O.Y.F.R.I.E.N.D.S
"You look great, Tao-ah." Sehun grinned, watching Zitao sigh after screwing up.
 
"I keep forgetting," Zitao pouted softly, dropping his nunchuks and falling next to Sehun on the park bench. "I know I can do it; I don't know why I keep messing it up."
 
"You're amazing, hyung. Wish I could be as good at this stuff as you."
 
"It takes a lot of endless practice," Zitao told Sehun. "Back when I was first starting out, I ended up not grabbing them on time and they flew and hit Luhan in the stomach. I felt so bad, but he forgave me and said things like that happened to him all the time. As I got to know him, I learned that he was right. He gets injured a lot," Zitao turned his head as he heard commotion and watched as Luhan fell into the fountain in the middle of the park. "Kinda like that." He laughed, watching as Jongdae pulled him out, Jongin scolding his dog with a small smile on his face and Kyungsoo standing behind him, his hand covering his mouth to muffle his laughter.
 
Zitao turned back to Sehun to see him holding out his nunchuks for him. "I just witnessed my best friend falling into a fountain, and you still want me to keep going?" Zitao laughed incredulously.
 
"I thought I was your best friend." Sehun pouted cutely and slumped his shoulders.
 
"Sehunnie, I -" Sehun cut Zitao off.
 
"No, it's fine. It was my best friend's dog that knocked him over anyway." Sehun turned his face away like a stubborn child before turning back to Zitao with a grin that mirrored back at him.
 
"You're the best, Sehunnie." Zitao laughed.
 
"You too, Tao-ah." Sehun smiled widely, wrapping his arm around Zitao's shoulders.
 
"Aww, look at the adorable couple." Zhang Yixing teased as he approached Zitao and Sehun.
 
"I don't see Yifan anywhere, so there's no couple." Sehun retorted back, making Yixing's face burn as he looked down.
 
"I think we're cuter than them anyway, Sehunnie." Zitao said in Sehun's ear, making the younger turn to him quickly, a blush rising to his cheeks.
 
"Yeah?" Sehun asked softly.
 
"Totally." Zitao grinned, grabbing his nunchuks from Sehun.
 
"I gotta go, guys. There's a game tonight." Yixing pointed at the school just down the road.
 
"Of course there is. Why are you walking though?" Sehun asked with a smile and furrowed eyebrows as Zitao started untangling his nunchuks.
 
"My car broke down, it won't work for another week, they say. Good thing I live close." He replied.
 
"Oh yeah, can't miss a single game. Yifan might actually do something crazy, like notice you." Zitao grinned as he teased his best friend's other closest friend.
 
"Oh shut up," Yixing glared, his face was red as he broke out into a grin. "He already notices me." He scoffed before stalking off. Zitao and Sehun broke into giggles as they fall into each other.
 
"Okay, you need to practice." Sehun laughed and hit Zitao's arm playfully, shoving him off so he can practice.
 
----
 
"I have to make sure you do it right." Sehun protested when Zitao tried to push him out the door.
 
"You'll make me nervous, it's tonight!" Zitao whined, still shoving at Sehun.
 
"Tao-ah, you're going to be great, just like you always are." Sehun grabbed each of Zitao's shoulders and forced him to look into his eyes.
 
"I know, it's just really important to me, and I don't want to mess anything up."
 
"Tao-sshi. You're amazing at what you do. As long as you feel it inside yourself, you'll do great."
 
"Thanks, hyung." Zitao smiled, looking down at the ground with a blush creeping upon his features.
 
"Hey," Sehun tipped his chin up. "I'm being serious. You're going to be great, because you are great. You're the best I know at what you do."
 
"I'm the only one you know who does what I do," Zitao snorted, pushing Sehun away with a grin. "Let me practice, Sehunnie."
 
----
 
"You look great, Tao-ah." Sehun told Zitao later that day at his martial arts tournament.
 
"Do I?" He asked nervously.
"You do, honestly. I really like the eyeliner; it looks very nice." Sehun smiled.
 
"Thanks, Sehunnie." Zitao laughed nervously, wringing his hands together.
 
"You're gonna be great." Sehun pulled his hands apart.
 
"Yeah, yeah I know," Zitao sighed. "I just want to get started already, waiting is the worst part."
 
"Zitao," Sehun grabbed Zitao's shoulders like that afternoon in the school gym. There's a moment of silence before Zitao blurted out:
 
"Go out with me." Before immediately covering his mouth and then spouting apologies.
 
"Tao-ah," Sehun covered his mouth for him. "If you go out there, do your thing, and try your best, then yes, I will go out with you." Zitao's eyes widened, then he nodded.
 
"Yeah okay." He agreed before his teacher called him away because the tournament was about to start. 
 
----
 
"Oh my gosh, did you see that?! I've never done so well!" Zitao exclaimed, hugging Sehun tightly afterwards. Sehun laughed loudly and returned the hug.
 
"Yeah, I saw, hyung. You were great," Sehun patted Zitao's back.
 
"So where are we going out?" He questioned as he pulled out of the hug.
 
"Anywhere you want," Zitao grinned triumphantly. "Anywhere you want." He repeated breathily.