6. Chaos

His Royal Consort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Emperor was alive, but just barely. His skin had a greenish yellow tinge and every now and then he moaned in subdued pain. The Royal Physicians had concocted several pain relievers but were at a lost at finding the antidote for the poison the attacker had used. 

"At this rate, all we can do is eliminate the pain. I'm afraid he won't last long; the poison is slowly eating his organs from the inside." The Grand Princess sobbed even harder at the Head Royal Physician's statement. "Your Highness, we could give him enough to stop the pain, as in forever."

"No." The Emperor's voice was weak but firm. "There are many things left undone. You will help me hold off this pain as much as I can. My country will be left in a state of chaos especially as the situation with the demons is left unattended. A successor must be chosen as well." The Emperor's head fell back onto his pillows as his brief moment of strength left him. "Get everyone out. Then send for the Royal Minister and bring the Imperial Seal."

Everyone bowed and left the room, leaving just the Heal Royal Physician behind. 

"Yonghwa, are you okay?" asked Hong Ki. Yonghwa's eyes were rimmed with red. 

"I'm fine," he replied curtly. 

"Get yourself cleaned up. You got slashed by a dagger." Jong Suk gently pushed Yonghwa towards a Royal Physician who took one look at the injured Prince's wounded shoulder and hastily bade him head down to the infirmary.

"Jong Suk, you don't think that this means that the Emperor will choose      " 

"Hush, not here." Jong Suk led her down back to her quarters. "I don't know what you were thinking back there. Usually one runs away from the battle, ahjumma."

"I'm not weak! I put all my training into use." 

Jong Suk sighed. "The point of the training is to keep you alive. You decrease your chances of staying alive when you run head on into fights like that."

"Then train me more so I can help fight! I'm a Priestess, my duty is to help my people, no matter the costs!"

"Even at the cost of your life?" He asked quietly.

Shin Hye nodded. "Even at that," she replied without hesitation.

Jong Suk was half in exasperation at her stubborness and half in begrudging admiration at her courage. Instead he acted on neither of those feelings. He sighed again and patted her on the head. "You're lucky you weren't hurt, ahjumma," he said softly. 

Shin Hye scowled at his patting. "I'm not a dog. And stop calling me ahjumma. I'm younger than you. If I'm an ahjumma  that makes you an ahjussi      " Suddenly she was hit with a wave of nausea. The wave was familiar as it told her a vision was coming.

"Shin Hye!" Jong Suk hurriedly caught her as she collapsed. Her head lolled onto his shoulder, her eyes shut. "Shin Hye, wake up, what's wrong?" Jong Suk shook her but Shin Hye was far into the depths of her vision.

She saw shadow demons converging on the Palace in darkness, yet she felt that it was still daytime. A solar eclipse, she realized. A man in gold robes falling at the assault of demons. Jong Suk fighting off the whirl of shadows but somehow hurt from a sword slash, his iron skin ability gone. She was standing in the middle of a vortex of fire that seemed to be spurting out of her. Houses were burning down, as people screamed in pain from the flames. Despite the heat from the flames, a chilling wind breathed words down her spine:

One who sees must choose

 the world or one to lose.

That which cannot bend must yield

or perish in the field.

Selfish whims will lead desire

and the world raze down in fire.

Shin Hye was shocked at the last lines

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter