4. Engagement

His Royal Consort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye sat uncomfortably on her cushion. She had been sitting for a long time throughout dinner and she longed to scratch the itch on her . Although the silken robes felt smooth and comfortable on her skin, the robes were so voluminous that even if she managed to scratch without anyone noticing, it would bring her no relief.

"Stop squirming like a worm. You'll attract attention," Jong Suk whispered in her right ear.

"So what? Everyone's looking here anyways," she whispered back. The Emperor's announcement of their marriage had brought upon great gossip around the large dining room. Every official and court lady looked curiously now and then at the couple. She was not used to so many people staring at her, and all the members of the royal family at that. Mi Seung's face looked positively stony at the announcement but managed to cover up his surprise pretty well.

"So why didn't you tell the Emperor about the possible spies from the river spirit earlier? Don't you want to tell him about it?" Shin Hye whispered.

Jong Suk told her what he had told Hong Ki earlier in the day. "The Emperor already knows of this. If we are quick to confirm of corruption, then Mi Seung will use this opportunity for his means to oust any of his enemies and other possible contenders to the throne by pointing to them as possible sources of corruption. He's worried that even though he's the Royal Prince, he hasn't been named Successor and one of the other Grand Princes might be named."

"Mi Seung might be staging a coup?" She gasped. "So, wouldn't the Emperor want to know about that?"

"Careful with your voice, even the walls have ears here," Jong Suk warned. "The Emperor probably does, which is why he hasn't named a Successor yet. Plus, the Royal Prince wants to use you to defeat the demons and take all the credit as your husband so he'll have more favor in the Emperor's eyes." Several people approached towards the pair. "We'll talk later. But just stay away from him in case." They quickly dropped the conversation.

"My my Jong Suk, you must be very fortunate to secure such a beautiful possession." Mi Seung had walked towards them. He had also dropped most of his earlier pleasant visage to Shin Hye and now his handsome features was contorted to a slight sneer. Shin Hye felt the same chill go down her back and shivered. 

"Companion, perhaps. Possession, no. I don't treat women as objects," Jong Suk replied. He looked calm and cordial but Shin Hye could tell he was keeping a controlled face. But the meaning was clear behind his words: I don't treat women like objects like you do.

"Hmm, but your uh, companion, seems to be shivering from the cold. Perhaps it's the coldness from your heart, if you had one." Mi Seung barked a laugh and his horde of women tittered mechanically at his jibe. "Merely kidding. But a real man should be able to warm her up, no?" He reached down to caress her face. Before Shin Hye could stop him, Jong Suk had stood up from his seat, nearly overturning the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter