3. Inside the Imperial Palace

His Royal Consort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Announcing the Prince, General Lee Jong Suk, Lieutenant Lee Hong Ki, the Fire Seer, and entourage!" announced the Royal Chancellor. Slowly, the gold plated imposing doors of the main Palace fell open. With every step she took towards the throne room, Shin Hye felt every fiber of her being screaming that she was walking into a trap. 

The throne room was elegant, with the center throne bench bedecked with comfortable silken gold cushions. The man reclining on the throne on first appearance did not look impressive, but the wisdom and thoughtfulness in his eyes gave him a kingly air. 

The group approached the throne and bowed collectively. 

"My dear son and nephews, it is good to see you all home safely. I see you have also safely brought home a guest. The Imperial Palace and the Royal Family welcomes you, Fire Seer. Now, General, I believe you said you gathered some news?" 

Jong Suk reported the attacks at the Han River and the warnings of the river spirit. Interestingly enough, he kept back the warning that there were spies lurking in the Palace. Shin Hye felt relieved that he did so, although she couldn't explain why.

"Very well, then," the Emperor said at last, his beard thoughtfully. "We will call the advisory board on military matters and discuss this further in length. For now, please rest the men and show the Priestess to her quarters. Thank you, Priestess, for helping. Jong Suk, if you can stay behind. There is the matter that we have discussed before that I would like to give some new input on." 

Everyone filed out of the throne room, leaving Jong Suk behind.

"Is he in trouble?" Shin Hye wondered.

Yonghwa and Hong Ki laughed at her question. "Hardly," Hong Ki answered. "Although it's a topic that Jong Suk doesn't like."

Shin Hye suddenly halted. "Wait a minute, the Emperor mentioned his son. But who    ".

Yonghwa grinned. "That would be me. I'm Prince Jung Yonghwa, son of the Emperor and a 2nd rank concubine."

Shin Hye gaped but realized that her face must look like a fish out of water and quickly covered her reaction. "Oh, uh, I see. That would make a lot of sense." Especially how he can talk back to Jong Suk. "So why didn't Jong Suk tell the Emperor about the possible spies in the Palace?"

Hong Ki and Yonghwa exchanged a look. "We'll tell you later. But for right now, let me introduce you to the Royal Priestess and my sister, Lee Yu Bi," Hong Ki said as a pretty young woman garbed in light blue robes came towards them. A falcon with a message cannister tied to its foot perched on her left arm, its eyes glinting beadily at them. "Like you, she received visions as well, although she doesn't have flame powers like you. Good thing too or else she'd set my pants on fire everytime I eat her candy."

"Yep, that's me. Oppa messaged me me that you and Jong Suk jibe a lot," she said with a conspiratory grin. "Alrighty then, follow me." 

Yu Bi led them past a garden with a water lily lake. The fragrance of flowers washed over them as they walked down the pavilions. Music from a gayageum could be heard from a musician nearby. A crowd of giggling girls and well dressed men came into view. Yet, the walls of the Palace seemed to enclose on Shin Hye, smothering her. An intensifying feeling of evil washed over her.

"Well, if it isn't my younger brother and little Hong Ki. Back with a new guest, I see. I am the Royal Prince, Jung Mi Seung." A man in gold robes was in the center of the group. Shin Hye and her group bowed respe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter