Prologue

His Royal Consort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The screams of fear escalated outside the temple walls. She had warned them in time, didn't she? Park Shin Hye had those visions three weeks ago, and they were never wrong. They warned her of monstrous shadows, ones that engulfed everything within reach. With every human soul that the shadows engulfed, they sputtered and grew stronger.

The villages by the Han River relied on her for protection against floods, droughts, and earthquakes. With her new warning of disaster not due to nature but to an Otherworldly enemy, she wasn't sure if the villagers had trusted her this time. After all, they did keep her locked in a temple, magnificent though it was with its glorious jade inlaid teak walls and pillars and gold plated doors. They fed her and clothed her, treating her more as a feared deity, rather than a normal human being. If you counted her prophetic abilities and burn inducing skin as normal.

Even as a mere baby, her own mother could not pick her up due to her skin. Her mother had offered her to the temple and the mercy of the gods instead. 

Shin Hye paced around her temple agitatedly, worried for the safety of her villagers as the clamor grew louder. The sounds of swords crashing against swords easily penetrated the temple walls. There were no doors or windows, save for an opening at the top of the temple where the villagers lowered food and supplies to her daily. Scrolls, paintings, the one day she was allowed outside during the annual Moon festival, and the light coming from the opening were all that saved her from being completely ignorant of the outside world. The opening was too high for her to reach, unfortunately. Should I use my powers in case the villagers need my help? Damn it, I really can't tell what's going on outside!

Suddenly, a loud crash of wood breaking drew her attention. She ran swiftly to the source of the noise, only to stop dead in her tracks. Through the black gaping hole of the temple wall, something was crawling out of it. A large black, inky mass rustled as it pulled itself through the holes. No, she though franticly, that means the guards around my temple are... With an inhuman scream that curled the hairs on the back of her neck, the mass of shadows launched itself at her. With a quick side step, she avoided the demon's attack, but just barely, feeling the whoosh of air pass by her head. A gleam of silver flashed in the air, and a sword deftly slashed the shadow in half. The remains of the demon quickly seeped through the floor, leaving nothing but a putrid dark puddle behind. 

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter