2. Traveling

His Royal Consort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finals are OVER!! Sorry about taking so long to update. Enjoy!

 

"The shadows, right? But what do they want?" Shin Hye was dumbfounded.

"Our own Royal Priestess saw signs that the Otherworld Enemy was gathering power for a spell. Specifically, the Nullification Spell." Jong Suk raised his eyebrows at Shin Hye's astonished look. "What, did you think you were the only Priestess around?" 

Shin Hye gave him an exasperated look. "That's not what I was surprised about. Just because I've lived in a temple all my life doesn't mean I'm that ignorant. It's just that the Nullification Spell is way too dangerous for any human or demon to cast. Besides, even the creator of the Nullification Spell destroyed all copies of the spell to prevent people from using it."

"Not all copies," Yonghwa shook his head. "It's true that the copies were destroyed, but pieces of the spell are still scattered. The demons have been gathering the pieces for the past 6 years. The Imperial Palace itself has several bits and pieces protected, and the pieces' magic guards the Palace even. But even if the demons somehow manage to complete the pieces they still need the souls of many humans for power without the spell consuming their own life sources."

"The Royal Priestess seems to believe that you're a key part to stopping them. Goodness knows how you're useful." The last part was muttered by Jong Suk, although Shin Hye heard it anyways.

"If you're so great and powerful of a General, why don't you stop them by yourself, huh?" Shin Hye retorted. Then it dawned on her as she slowly grinned. "Oh, I see. It's because the Emperor doesn't trust in you enough, isn't it? Omo, the great and powerful 'Iron Skin' General has to rely on a girl who's never been outside her home."

Jong Suk's nostrils flared up but merely scowled. He gave back the apple he had taken from Shin Hye, now just a half eaten core, into her hands and turned away to bark orders to his soldiers that they were moving out. 

"I've never seen anyone else either than me and his two siblings talk back to him in that way. Uusually people are too scared to." Yonghya commented as he handed Shin Hye another apple.

"Why not other people? How come you can talk to him without flinching like the rest of everyone else?"

"We're childhood friends. Trust me, he wasn't always like this. Ever since his father's death, he hates nearly anything that has to do with fire or prophecies."

"What, why?" 

Yonghwa shrugged. "Not my place to tell. Jong Suk just prefers things logical and understandable, so he distrusts prophecies and those who are connected to them.' The sound of a shrill horn was heard, and the men began to pack the bundles of supplies onto their horses' back. "Oh, time to go. No worries, we'll get you a horse soon."

Seven miles, one lunch break, three falls and two smarting bruises on her bum later, Shin Hye finally managed to get the hang of horse riding on a sidesaddle. She hadn't expected a horse to be so tall and daunting. The paintings and books she had seen had given her the impression that horses were supposed to be delicate and quaint creatures. She scratched her mahoganyhorse behind the ears and was rewarded with a whinny of pleasure. She grinned, proud of her accomplishment until Jong Suk snorted. He was riding beside her. "Peasant women could have learned faster than you did."

"You sounded just like a horse when you snorted. Besides, give me a break. I've only been out of the temple for less than 24 hours." 

"Which is plain to see for anyone born with one eye. Stay on the saddle this time by stop craning your neck to look around. I don't want to have the luxury to get off and help you get on the horse again." Jong Suk snapped his reins and his horse trotted a little fast ahead of her horse. Shin Hye stuck out her tongue at Jong Suk's back. What an annoying booger.

"Wow, Priestess. I've never heard Jong Suk speak more than two words, unless he's giving out orders or something. You're so brave. Daebak!" Shin Hye glanced behind her, risking the chance of a fourth fall. Behind her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter