Acceptance? Maybe not

My Sister's Boyfriend

It was a beautiful Sabbath day, the sky was beautifully sunny and the temperature was quite pleasant; in other words a typical day of April. It was a perfect spring day to go out and explore the world, to unwind from the stress of a daily basis and breathe fresh air. Yet here I was, wasting my weekend watching television in the living room as the lazy person that I was, throwing out of the window any possibility of productivity. And the truth is that it would be a decent activity if my sister and her boyfriend weren’t here with me sitting on the couch diagonal to me, kissing and caressing each other like no one’s business, showing zero respect for me, but hey, that never really stopped them before, so why should affect me this much now, right? Well, now that I knew Baekhyun’s faults and such it was difficult for me to watch his displays of affection towards my sister, knowing beforehand of their questionable nature. And now that nine days had elapsed since I discovered that Baekhyun cheated on my sister my brain had finally assimilated the facts. Somehow I had already accepted the change in my sister's boyfriend completely – or so I thought. I just let it be and ignored my empty heart. I had already accepted that Baekhyun was a stranger to me now, someone I never knew well and therefore I was in love with a character that he had created for reasons that still escaped of my comprehension. In this way it was much easier to deal with this situation, I was just going to let everything take its course naturally, since that was the only viable solution for the three of us; Taeyeon could have the man she loved beside her, I could stop stressing out about the matter and Baekhyun…well, he was the one that had every benefit in this situation, unfair but that’s life.

My relationship with him became somewhat odd and uncertain, sometimes I felt comfortable and at ease in his presence, but there were times when he intimidated me a lot; it wasn’t exactly his actions what disturbed me the most but his stares. I didn’t know how to explain it accurately, but every time he looked at me it gave me chills, the intensity in his eyes was such that I often had the need to look away. Part of me didn’t like those stares, because it was like he could read my mind without any effort, as if he knew even my darkest secrets and that for obvious reasons made me very uncomfortable, but at the same time they made me want to find out more about him, they made me want to know desperately what he was thinking about every time he looked at me in that intimate way. Was he thinking about how pathetic I was? Was he thinking about how naive and gullible I was? Was he thinking that I was stupid? I would like to think that is none of the above, but I couldn’t be so sure with Baekhyun, nothing was certain with Baekhyun indeed.

“I'm bored! This .” My sister complained, pointing the television with an accusing finger.

We were watching my favorite drama or better said I was watching it, since my sister and her boyfriend hadn’t paid any attention to it because they were very busy being lovey-dovey to even know what was happening around them. So I didn’t understand how my sister could tell that if she wasn’t even watching the screen. Ha, insulting my drama so carelessly, huh.

The guy beside her chuckled softly and poked her two cheeks teasingly. “Love, everything bores you. I'm surprised you haven’t got bored of me yet.”

My sister gasped dramatically and wrapped her arms around his neck at the speed of light, holding him close to her firmly but tenderly at the same time. “I would never get bored of you, Bacon. You're my man and I love you.” She said with intensity in her voice and with such sincerity that I felt how a knot formed in my stomach.

Baekhyun smiled at her sweetly and leaned towards her to place his forehead against hers softly, and making eye contact with my sister he confessed loud and clear. “I love you too.” In such a sweet and gentle voice that made me want to cry all of a sudden.

I knew I shouldn’t be watching them when they were clearly having a moment, but I found myself unable to tear my eyes off the lovebirds. Maybe because I was mesmerized by their so called love even though I was a little incredulous about it, maybe because at this moment I was imagining myself in my older sister’s place or simply because when my sister took the initiative to kiss his lips Baekhyun had his eyes on me, scrutinizing me intensely. I was so distracted that I didn’t realize he was staring at me, but when I assimilated that he was making eye contact with me as he kissed Taeyeon my cheeks flushed bright red. I looked away totally embarrassed and intimidated. However, I found myself looking at him once again, holding my breath when I noticed that he was already staring at me, as if he had never stopped doing it in first place.

I knew I didn’t need to see this, I didn’t need to witness how they kissed each other passionately. But Baekhyun's stare held me in place. I wanted to keep on looking those beautiful yet dangerous eyes.

“Eh…I’m kind of thirsty, I’ll go for some water.” I announced shakily, still making eye contact with him.

And without waiting for a response from them I just stood up and walked to the kitchen with weak and wobbly legs, feeling suddenly really nervous and anxious. For some reason my body felt on fire and I was experiencing a variety of sensations. I felt very strange and I knew that it was sister's boyfriend’s fault; he affected me in a way that I couldn’t comprehend just yet.

I tried to ignore my discomfort and took a clean glass from the dishwasher and filled it with water. And as the cold liquid went down my throat I heard footsteps, which were headed in my direction. I turned around promptly still with the glass in my hands to come face to face with my sister's boyfriend, who was towering over me with a smirk on his pretty face. I flinched immediately as I definitely wasn’t expecting that someone – let alone Baekhyun – were so close to my body. The guy just snickered at my reaction, looking down at me with a hint of amusement in his eyes. And without taking his eyes away from my face, he took the glass that was in my hands and brought it to his mouth, drinking the remnants of water from the same place where I had put my lips before, indicated by my lip gloss.

“Thanks, baby. I was thirsty.” He smiled at me innocently as I gave me back the now empty glass.

“Y-You’re welcome.” I hesitated leaving the object in the sink gently. “Can you…mmm…move away a little?” I asked since the man was still with his body pressed against mine.

“Of course, baby.” He said with a small laugh, his breath slamming against my face. Yes, exactly, he was that close.

He moved away from me instantly, leaning on the kitchen island, which was positioned in front of the sink, thus in front of me. And in this new position he inspected my every movement with an expression devoid of emotion, he was just staring at me, watching me, and something told me that he wouldn’t leave me alone anytime soon. Obviously I stiffened at his scrutiny, blushing instantly in the process. I was tired of feeling like this; like a prey cornered by a predator, but at the same time I liked it. I knew I was contradicting myself, in fact I always ended up by contradicting myself when it came to Baekhyun. Anyways, a part of me liked getting his attention. Before, when everything was normal and pleasant, he never gave me that much of attention. He definitely cared about me back then and made me feel like his little sister, but now it was all different. Now it seemed as if his attention was divided between me and my sister all the time. But the main difference is that unlike before he now sought to be alone with me, he searched and created situations where we could be alone together. I didn’t know what his intentions were in wanting to do that, but I knew for sure that whatever was happening right now it was just the beginning. The truth is that I had a lot of theories about all of this; actually I had come to think that he liked me or something since his insistence of wanting to keep me around him was impressive, and my common sense was telling me it was the only plausible explanation. But it would be too naive and self-centered to think so, after all I couldn’t forget that the world didn’t revolve around me and his way of acting could mean something else entirely. So, taking into account this last part, the conclusion that convinced me the most so far it was that he was having the time of his life playing with me and with my mind. And as I said before this fact didn’t bother me that much as before. Maybe I was being too stupid, letting myself be carried by Baekhyun's whims, but what's the difference? The damage was done, I wouldn’t gain anything by facing him and telling him that I didn’t want be part of his games, because he was going to keep doing what he pleased, that was Baekhyun; stubborn.

“What are you doing here, Baekhyun? I thought you were with my sister.” I said trying not to sound so self-conscious, and of course, prompting him somehow to go with Taeyeon.

“She is choosing a movie and we both know she can be a little indecisive, right?” He cocked his head as he crossed his arms across his chest.

I chuckled softly, momentarily distracted by his answer. “Actually I know exactly what movie she is going to choose. It’s no longer a surprise for me,” I commented with a genuine smile, “Spirited away.”

And before the guy could answer, we heard how my sister shouted from the living room announcing at her boyfriend that she had already chosen the same movie I had just mentioned.

Baekhyun looked at me and smiled with amusement. “You were right.”

I just nodded as I turned my head to look elsewhere, smiling slightly while I tried to calm myself down a little bit. But it was overwhelmingly hard trying to stay sane when I could feel seamlessly his stare on my profile. I knew he was planning something inside of that mind of his, he was thinking about his next move, I could almost feel it. Yet, his hypothetical intentions were interrupted when my sister, noisily, came into the kitchen with a pout on her beautiful doll-like face. Baekhyun’s countenance changed immediately into his cute and bubbly self while I was trying to act normal.

“What’s taking you so long, babe? I want my popcorn already.” She whined adorably. And that was enough to make him move around the kitchen swiftly in search of microwave popcorn, ready and willing to fulfill the desires of his girlfriend.

And when Taeyeon made sure that her boyfriend was doing what she had asked for her eyes finally fell on me, smiling brightly at me. “Mimi, we are going to see my favorite movie, okay? Your drama is very cliché and predictable, and it's boring.” She announced as if she weren’t burying daggers into my FEELS. Although I let it go just for now.

“Sure, unnie. I was going to my room anyways.”

“What? Don’t you want to see the movie with unnie?” She asked a little surprised, because usually – not to say always – watching movies together was a must. Taeyeon and I agreed that it was necessary to discuss the movie while watching it, providing feedback and interpretations. But not many people liked to talk during a movie, finding that quite annoying and loud, so when I was with other people I remained in silence, but it was no fun. But when I was with my sister I talked freely and said whatever I wanted. So yep, watching movies with Taeyeon was amazing.

Nevertheless, now I didn’t feel like watching the film, not now that Baekhyun was present, because I desperately needed a break from him to be able collect my thoughts. “Sorry, I'm a little tired. I think I'll take a nap, unnie.”

She pouted and approached me to give me a hug. I hugged her back, wrapping my arms around her slender waist as I buried my face in the crook of her neck, inhaling her characteristic feminine smell. I instantly relaxed into her arms, I felt calm and at peace. My sister's hugs were my favorites undoubtedly, thanks to the love that Taeyeon had given me since forever I didn’t feel so sad and devastated by the death of our parents, since I had never lacked a family even after our parent’s death, because I knew my older sister was there for me as I was there for her. I wish I could protect her from so many things knowing that her heart was extremely fragile and delicate. I wanted to protect her dreams and hopes, but mostly to protect her from Baekhyun’s deceptions.

Perhaps too soon she pulled away from me and gave me a kiss on my forehead. “Okay, rest well, Mimi.” She smiled at me with that warm, sweet smile of hers and I was unable to not smile back.

I nodded softly. “Sure, enjoy your movie.”

She only grinned at me in response and after messing up my hair affectionately she walked towards her boyfriend, asking him why he was taking so long again. I took that as my cue to get out of the kitchen inadvertently, without being noticed by a certain person. But before leaving I could feel someone's look on my back and I didn’t have to turn around to see who it was.

It had been nearly four hours since I started my nap when the sound of my cell resonated loudly awakening me abruptly from my beauty sleep – don’t judge me, sleeping was one of my favorite pastimes. At first I just let it ring, too lazy to make a move to reach the noisy device, but eventually I ended up taking it in my hands to see who was calling me. I wasn’t surprised at all when I saw Sehun’s name on the screen of my phone, after all he had been calling non-stop for a week now, and like the coward I was I hadn’t answered any of his many calls. I didn’t know why he kept on calling me if he knew that I wasn’t going to answer, like seriously, it made me feel worse than I already felt for ignoring him. These nine days without any contact with my best friend had been a real torture for me, especially when I could see how much it had affected him my behavior. Every time I saw him I could notice the dark circles under his gentle eyes. I was witness of the longing glances he directed at me all the time and it killed me having to look away. I knew that I was responsible for the pain we were both experimenting with this situation, but for the moment I didn’t want to break the deal I had with Sohee, not so much for the fear she inspired me but because I needed Sehun to resolve this by himself. His girlfriend could no longer interfere in our friendship and the only one who could solve this issue was him, she was going to listen to him and he for once had to open his eyes by himself. Once I tried to do it for him and the guy ended up accusing me of being a liar instead of his girlfriend, the real liar over here. That made me realize that no one could open his eyes for him, because it was something he had to do by himself. Sehun had to grow up by himself.

Thereby, with a trembling finger, I rejected the call, feeling the weight of my decision resting on my shoulders again. It was really awful to ignore my best friend, but it was necessary. And convincing myself that this in the long term would be beneficial for both, I prepared myself to go back to lie down on my bed to continue with my delightful nap. But as the world kept on hating me, a knock on my door interrupted my plans.

“Mimi, someone is looking for you.” My older sister announced with a hint of playfulness from the other side of the door, which made me nervous immediately, thinking that it may be Sehun.

I jumped off the bed briskly as if I hadn’t woken up recently and I opened the door wide open looking at my sister with pleading eyes, as if she could do something with my anxiety, because simply it couldn’t be Sehun. I didn’t have the courage to face him for the being time.

“Please tell me it's not Sehun, unnie.” I said clinging to her arm, fearful about the possible answer.

Taeyeon looked at me curiously, obviously wondering why I didn’t want to see my best friend; the boy who was always welcome in our home no matter what. Although I couldn’t really blame her, she was unaware of what had happened between us and I wasn’t going to tell her either, not wanting to worry her unnecessarily, in the end it was a matter between me, Sohee and Sehun. And apparently my eyes spoke by themselves because my sister smiled at me in realization, understanding that this wasn’t the time to talk about this matter.

“Nope, it's a boy named Kai, does it sound familiar?” She gave me teasing nudges on my sides.

“What?! What is he doing here?” I exclaimed in disbelief, not really expecting him to come to my house without telling me beforehand. Not that I wasn’t happy to see him though.

My sister just shrugged. “I don’t know, but I think you should come down now because I believe that Baekhyun doesn’t like the kid very much.”

“Unnie! You shouldn’t have left him alone with him. Your boyfriend is out of control.” I whined without thinking before speaking, although I doubted that my sister could comprehend what I wanted to say with that anyways. And without even looking in the mirror to see if I was presentable or not, I made my way to the living room followed by my sister, coming down the stairs promptly as if my life depended on it, because I didn’t want Kai to suffer of the meaning of this odyssey, knowing that Baekhyun would be impolite and rude to the tanned boy.

When we finally reached the living room I instantly felt the tension in the air. Kai was seated on the couch in a rigid and cautious position while Baekhyun was on the other couch glaring at the boy mercilessly with narrowed eyes, not bothering to hide his dislike for Kai. Me and my sister exchanged looks as if we were communicating telepathically and once each one received the mental message we got into action. Taeyeon was quick to sit next to her boyfriend while I sat next to the tanned guy. The two were so focused on trying to intimidated one another that they hadn’t even noticed our presence, so when both guys finally came out of their trance they were surprised to see us there in the same place as them. Kai immediately turned his head to face me, dazzling me with a huge grin, disappearing any trace of hatred in his face when he saw me. Now his face was gentle and soft, ensnaring me with his gentle gaze. I could only smile sheepishly, blushing slightly at his handsome expression.

“Hey, princess.” He muttered softly, leaning slightly toward me as he put his hand on my leg.

“Hi.” I mumbled back coyly, blushing even more since he had never done anything like putting his hand on my thigh. It was a somewhat intimate gesture, so I felt a little uncomfortable and self-conscious about it, but I didn’t make a move to shake off his hand. Somehow it felt good.

He chuckled softly at my reaction. “You look lovely with that hair by the way, did you just wake up from your beauty sleep, beautiful?” He inquired cocking his head. “But you don’t need it though.”

I didn’t know whether to scream of shame for not taking care of my hair or to hide from the face of the earth in embarrassment for his complement. But all I did was giggle sheepishly, because really, I couldn’t help feeling flattered and all giddy inside, forgetting for a second that we were being watched by two other pairs of eyes.

The tanned guy just smiled sweetly when he heard me laughing, and I believed – due to his look filled with something I could not identify – that he had forgotten that we weren’t the only ones in the room as well.

“What are you doing here, Kai? I don’t think you've come all this way with the intention of just flirting with me.” I muttered with a small smile, accommodating a strand of my hair behind my ear.

He chuckled again, observing every corner of my face. “I just want to ask you out. A date, princess, but this time just you and me.” He said smirking.

And just then I heard how my sister let out a sharp shriek, making me and Kai jump in surprise. I looked ahead and realized that Taeyeon was with a huge smile on her face at the same time she clung to her boyfriend’s arm, looking at us expectantly as if she were watching one of her dramas or something, it seemed as if she were fangirling over us too. But that wasn’t what really caught my attention, after all I knew my sister was a fan of romance and I could understand she was thrilled to see how her younger sister interacted for the first time with a guy who wasn’t Sehun, so no, I wasn’t surprised at all by her much anticipated reaction, but rather it was her boyfriend’s expression that baffled me. Baekhyun was glaring at Kai intently once again while his hands were turned into fists, his knuckles were almost white because of the pressure. His glare was murderous, he wasn’t even paying attention to his girlfriend who was tugging of his arm enthusiastically to comment on how cute me and Kai looked together – I tried not to panic when I heard her say all those things, since I was trying to figure out once again my sister's boyfriend, so I didn’t need another distraction.

“Oh, my God, did you see that, Baekhyun?!” My sister squealed pointing us with her index finger. “And did you see how he looked at her?! And did you see how she looked at him?! Oh, my god, I ship them so hard!” She exclaimed in full fangirl mode.

Yet again Baekhyun completely ignored his girlfriend, focusing all his attention in only one person: Kai, who also was glaring at him. And needless to say I was beginning to feel extremely uncomfortable. I knew I couldn’t do anything against Baekhyun’s attitude. Besides Taeyeon’s shrill voice suddenly started bothering me slightly, since it was like an annoying sound in the background distracting me over and over again. Therefore, unable to tolerate the tense situation in which I was, I stood up abruptly. And just like that three pairs of curious eyes instantly looked at me.

“I'll get some refreshments.” I announced mechanically, not looking at anyone in particular, I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible. Without waiting for reaction or response from their part, I headed to the kitchen, fleeing from the disaster.

I took a tray and put it on the table, then I looked for four glasses. Once I found them I left them on the tray, ready to be filled with iced tea. And as I filled each glass with the liquid my mind was already forming a potential plan to escape from the uncomfortable occurrence. Baekhyun and Kai couldn’t be in the same room and that was obvious, so it would be better if I took Kai’s offer and have a date with him, at least in that way we'd be out of the house and therefore far away from the glare of my sister's boyfriend. However I knew that Taeyeon wouldn’t let us go that easily, especially considering that she had been desperate to know more about "the boy who managed to break my shell" as she liked to call him. She had wanted to meet the boy officially for several days now and she had been pestering me nonstop since she knew of his existence.

And what was Baekhyun’s problem anyways? Intimidating one of my friends like no one's business, ha.

“What is he doing here?” A voice asked suddenly, making me jump in surprise and on the verge of letting out a scream, but luckily I covered my mouth just in time. Fortunately I had left the jar with iced tea on the table only seconds before; because I was sure I would have dropped it because of the jolt.

I turned around and saw Baekhyun, who was leaning against the door frame with his arms folded across his firm chest, frowning at me as he watched my every movement intently.  And when he realized that I was too surprised by his sudden presence to answer his question as quickly as he would have liked he straightened up and started walking toward me, still with a scowl adorning his face. Once he was in front of me, he asked me again with dangerous voice, “I said, what is he doing here?”

“W-Well…he wanted to see me, Baekhyun. We're friends and he can visit me whenever he wants.” I said trying to not sound that nervous or intimidated.

“Is that so?” He cocked his head, with an arched eyebrow.

I just nodded, thinking that surprisingly this was all since he said nothing other than that, so I assumed that the conversation was over. I turned my head and concentrated again in the soft drinks, but before I could lift the tray by myself Baekhyun beat me to it by taking it quickly.

“Just think about what I told you, Seulmi. Kai is not for you, he doesn’t deserve a girl like you.” He said earnestly.

I was about to explode and tell him once again not to meddle in my private life. I wanted to tell him that he had no rights over me, he wasn’t my brother, he wasn’t my family; he was just my sister’s boyfriend for crying out loud and it was time for him to behave as such, it was time that he knew his limits. He had no power over me and I didn’t want to keep on listening to his advices or whatever. But, without giving me the opportunity to convey my thoughts, he began to walk towards the living room with the tray in one hand, carrying it effortlessly. So, still with the words on the tip of my tongue, I walked quietly behind him, following him like a lost puppy.

Taeyeon was seated now in my previous position next to Kai, asking him things about him and us excitedly, smiling from ear to ear as she watched him with bright eyes. I smiled warmly at the scene, delighted to see how excited and happy she was. Maybe I could handle this situation as long as my sister could smile in that so radiant way. Then my eyes fell on the tanned boy, who was surprisingly smiling and answering each of her questions contentedly, as if he were enjoying every second of the conversation, and yeah, that kind of surprised me, after all Taeyeon could be a little intense when she was excited about something.

Meanwhile Baekhyun put the tray on the table that was in front of the couch silently, ignoring the conversation between Kai and Taeyeon. Then he sat down beside me, without even taking a look at the boy who he seemed to despise so much interact with his girlfriend, which surprised me a lot for some reason; like, he was overprotective over me but not over his own girlfriend? I think that was pretty weird. Thus we sat in silence, waiting for the other two to realize of our presence. The first one to notice was Kai, who grinned at me gently barely we made eye contact, making me smile back automatically with slightly pink cheeks. Apparently Taeyeon noticed our little interaction because she started clapping like a little girl as she shrieked excitedly, and simultaneously I heard how the guy next to me growled fiercely, perhaps annoyed due to how happy and content my sister looked of the idea of having Kai in my life, which was completely contrary to what he believed.

“Aww, I swear, you guys are adorable together! Aigoo, my little sister has grown up so beautifully.” She said emotionally, staring at me with bittersweet eyes.

“Unnie.” I whined, but I couldn’t help but smile, knowing that she was in mother mode right now.

“Sorry, but I cannot help it, Mimi. And I must say that Kai is very nice, you chose well, sis.” She teased me wriggling her eyebrows suggestively.

I sighed wearily as I blushed. “I don’t know how many times I'll say this but we're not dating, we're just friends.” I explained again so that everyone could understand the true nature of our relationship.

“Well, it's true, we're friends, but I won't settle for that alone, right princess?” Kai suddenly said aloud, looking at me with an amused smirk.

I looked at him with wide open eyes in bewilderment, somewhat surprised that he had announced his supposed intentions in the presence of Taeyeon and her boyfriend. “Oh my God, stop it.” I hastened to tell with red cheeks

But as if that weren’t enough the tanned boy had the nerve to laugh at me, as always, regardless of the attention we were receiving. “My princess is always so shy.” He smiled brightly, almost proud of the effect his meaningless words had on me.

But before I could give him a piece of my mind, or well, at least before trying to, someone else interrupted the turn of the conversation. Baekhyun stood up abruptly and crossed his arms as he stared at Kai with a scowl, totally annoyed – something that became quite common these days I must say – and spoke firmly, “Yah kid, have more respect. You haven’t earned my approval yet. Seulmi is like a little sister to me and I won’t let her suffer for brats like you.”

And just like that the atmosphere became awkward and stifling, at least for me obviously. I could see how my sister glared at her boyfriend with narrowed eyes, perhaps scolding him inside her mind whereas Kai held his stare, challenging him through his eyes, I could clearly notice that. I didn’t understand the reason for such hostility on both sides, well I could understand Baekhyun to a certain extent, but Kai? Why he felt the need to rebel or respond to whatever Baekhyun did? Couldn’t he just ignore the man at least?

“Yah, Bacon, don’t scare him off. He is only eighteen. Don’t be a bully.” Taeyeon said with a frown, slightly annoyed.

The guy with milky skin looked at his girlfriend and his eyes instantly softened. He sighed resignedly as he showed his more submissive and calm side. Although I was sure that he only did it to trick my sister since she didn’t know his dominant and intimidating side, so the man had to be careful about how he acted in front of his girlfriend. And it turns out that my thoughts were correct when Baekhyun sat back down next to me making an adorable pout, aimed exclusively at my sister, who immediately grinned relieved to see the Baekhyun she knew and loved. I just looked at the man next to me contemplating how could he change of attitude so quickly without any effort, and it seemed that I wasn’t the only amazed at his act skills, since from the corner of my eye I could see the face of bewilderment and awe of Kai, who so far had only known the unpredictable and temperamental Baekhyun, so this side of him was completely new to my friend.

“But Tae! I'm just trying to protect my baby from the clutches of puberty! You don’t know what hormones do to the boys of their age!” Baekhyun groaned like a child, looking at her with eyes filled with sincere concern.

Taeyeon sighed wearily as she rose to her feet to stand in front of her boyfriend, who looked up at her with sad puppy eyes. She leaned over him and cupped his face with her delicate little hands, smiling at him patiently as if she were really dealing with a child. “I know, baby, but she has to grow up completely at some point and we cannot avoid it. Now stop being so overprotective, will you? Kai is a great guy. Besides you have to trust in Seulmi a little more. So stop intimidating the boy.” She told him gently while she caressed his cheeks with her thumbs, waiting for his answer, but all she got in return was a cute pout, which made her laugh out loud.

“And stop pouting or I will eat you with kisses.” She said giggling slightly, looking at her boyfriend with eyes full of love and adoration. It was hard to watch that to be honest.

And with cheeky eyes, the man deepened his pout, making him look really adorable to be honest, even I couldn’t resist his charms and I almost squealed by how cute he looked, but obviously I could restrain myself just in time. Yet my sister was unable to resist his cuteness and leaned closer to deposit kisses on the entire surface of his face repeatedly while Baekhyun laughed adorably to the action of his girlfriend. It was a really beautiful scene and they looked like two lovers madly in love, but unfortunately I knew better, and yet I still felt jealous, it still hurt seeing them like this, because my damn heart still belonged to him.

Deciding that I didn’t want to continue watching the scene unfolding beside me, I turned my head to look straight ahead and I met Kai's gaze. He was totally confused, looking into my eyes as if he were demanding an explanation. I just smiled slightly and shook my head gently, hoping that he could understand that this obviously wasn’t the best time to talk about this.

Meanwhile the lovebirds were apparently in their own bubble; oblivious to what was happening around them. Actually now my sister was sitting on her boyfriend’s lap laughing and kissing occasionally like two teenagers. So I stood up to get close to Kai, who looked at me with curiosity and when I held out my hand for him to take it he understood what my intentions were. Without hesitation, he gently slid his hand in mine and I helped him stand up even knowing that he didn’t need my help at all. But just as I was going to drag him with me up the stairs to go to my bedroom, Baekhyun immediately interrupted us. Seriously, he was always intervening!

“And where do you think you two are going, huh?” His girl was still on his lap and he had his arms wrapped around her protectively, though his gaze was fixed on us. Taeyeon just looked at us amused, almost feeling my exasperation because of her boyfriend, and apparently that seemed amusing to her. If only she knew…

“They are just going to her room, baby. Let them be already.” Taeyeon smiled and after winking at me she stared at her man using her persuasive eyes. And perhaps sensing her stare on his face Baekhyun stared back at her. They stared at each other for a few seconds without blinking until finally the man sighed with resignation, agreeing with his girl’s words.

“Excellent.” She said satisfied. “And while the kids are having fun you will help me cook our dinner.” She decided with a firm nod. Then she looked at Kai and asked him with a polite smile. “You’re staying for dinner, right Kai?”

The boy in question looked at me immediately, almost asking for my permission for him to stay. I squeezed his hand in affirmation as I smiled subtly at him. This gesture made him smile boyishly. “Yeah, of course.” He answered looking at my sister with the same smile.

Taeyeon giggled softly and nodded in agreement. “Perfect, now you can go and have fun guys.”

Before heading to my bedroom I looked at Baekhyun one last time, realizing that he was looking at me with an unreadable expression, so I didn’t know if he was upset or not. Not that I cared anyways…right?

When we walked into my room Kai was stunned, at first he stood in the middle of the big room contemplating what to do, but then – when he felt more confident – he started walking slowly to observe the unfamiliar area, watching every corner of my room with curious eyes as I sat on my bed looking at him. It was so weird really, having Kai in my room. I never thought that the tanned boy was going to be here, inside my most private place. But again, I didn’t expect him to become my friend either.

Suddenly he stopped in front of my wall of memories, which had pictures of my childhood; most of the photos were of me, my sister and Sehun, being them closest to me obviously, but Baekhyun also appeared in some of them since he was a lover of pictures, literally, and he forced me to take pictures with him all the time while he tortured me in the process. Let’s just say that I wasn’t that photogenic.

“Don’t wanna be rude, but you should have called me before coming.” I muttered.

“But I wanted to surprise you, I was really hoping we could have a date, you know.” He said absently, glancing at the wall covered in photos carefully. “Staying here isn’t so bad as long as we can spend time together though.” He said with a shrug, to which I just laughed slightly.

Thus we were silent for a long while until he decided to break it all of a sudden. “I’m not going to lie, your sister is hot as hell,” The tanned boy said out of nowhere, watching a picture of my sister attentively, “And she has a nice personality too.” He added.

I chuckled as nodded my head vehemently since I couldn’t agree more. My older sister was hot, beautiful and the dream of every man. “I know, she's great.” I said proudly.

“I cannot believe that bastard cheated on a girl like her.” He muttered as he walked toward me to sit next to me.

He took me by surprise that he had brought this up, because to be honest I thought he had forgotten that incident already. I just shrugged, not wanting to talk about it now, since I was trying really hard to let that go, or at least leave it hidden in the back of my mind.

“And seriously, what is the problem of that Baekhyun guy? Why is he so…weird? I mean, why does he want me to stay away from you? And why he acts like two different people?” He asked with exasperation.

“Just…ignore him, okay? It is not a good idea to play along, Kai.” I just said earnestly.

He snarled. “But how can I ignore when he is getting on my nerves? That son of a is asking for a beating.” He said almost maliciously.

“Don’t say that. He may be a jerk, but violence is never the solution.” I said with a small smile.

He looked at me for a few seconds as I held his stare. He scrutinized every inch of my face to finally place his look in my eyes. “Okay, just for you, princess.” He finally said with a soft smile.

“And Kai? Please stop saying strange things to my sister. She and her boyfriend believe that we are dating, as you may have noticed, and I don’t want them to continue making a fuss about this, so please don’t lead them on.” I started playing with the hem of my hoodie, ducking my head.

I heard him snort. “But I want them to get used to the idea of you and me together, beautiful. At some point you will have to give in to me.” He said almost smugly.

It was funny really; everything Kai said amused me, every time he flirted with me was entertaining for me. And part of that was because everything was just a game for us, I just knew it. This guy was this playful, it’s as if he felt the need to flirt to keep this relationship interesting and it didn’t really bother me actually, except when we were in the presence of others, just as Taeyeon and Baekhyun.

I raised my head, leaving aside my hoodie and I gave him a teasing glare. “You're so egocentric.” I smiled slightly as I lied on my bed.

Kai imitated me quickly, leaning next to me so our faces could be at the same height. Now we were facing each other.

“It’s not that. I just know that deep down you also like me, you just haven’t realized about it yet.” He murmured gently, his eyes fixed on my lips.

I found myself holding my breath, surprised and nervous about those words. I couldn’t react like this, I knew this was a game, I was sure it didn’t meant anything, but my heart started beating wildly against my chest. My gaze was fixed on his eyes, but he was intently staring at my mouth, making me more nervous than ever, and almost unconsciously I my lips. I could notice how his eyes darkened after that, and almost immediately his eyes met mine. I tried to hide the effect that look had on me by smiling at him shyly; it was a somewhat forced and nervous smile. Yet it was enough for Kai to smile back with his typical lopsided smile, which made me feel tremendously relieved because I didn’t want to witness that look ever again, it was very intimate, very confusing…

When we sat at the dinner table I realized that there was another unexpected guest. Chanyeol sat at the left of Taeyeon. A while later I found out that he had forgotten his keys, so he couldn’t enter into the apartment that he and his older brother shared, which led him to this place. As we ate Kai and my sister were talking excitedly while the others – me included – kept silent; Baekhyun and his brother were just eating, I instead was observing Chanyeol closely, trying to read him with my eyes or rather trying to intimidate him or persuade him with my eyes, but it was useless considering that the tall boy kept his eyes on his dinner plate. I wanted him to look at me once and for all to show him how upset and dissatisfied I was with him, because it turns out that these last few days I had been pestering him nonstop to get him to tell me a few things about his brother. It took me a few days to realize that Chanyeol knew some of the secrets that his older brother jealously guarded, a fact that I concluded of the moment in which the tall guy warned me about Baekhyun. Besides by being brothers – and living under one roof also – Chanyeol sure could help me with the terrible ordeal of learning more about his older brother, I knew there was no point in trying to decipher Baekhyun, but it was just for good measure. His only task was to tell me what was what he knew about him, and foremost telling me what he meant with his warning, because now everything was beginning to make a little more sense. However the giant wasn’t being very cooperative with me. He was reluctant to talk about the subject with me and just ignored me every time I asked him questions about his brother. Actually because of that I started sending him messages – something I had never done before, since we aren’t close at all – asking for answers, but he ignored each of my messages, letting me know that he wasn’t going to give in anytime soon. But I wouldn’t give up, not now I had a chance to persuade him face to face.

I was sure that the giant could feel my eyes on his face, but he didn’t even bother to give me a glimpse, nothing, he was completely ignoring me. I didn’t understand the reason of his silence really, I mean he was the one who wanted to warn me, so it would be only fair if he could tell me what it's all about, right? Either way I was determined to get answers, so I let him ignore me the rest of the meal, after all there would be enough time for extort him later, plus I could be quite demanding, pushy and annoying when I wanted to. So I waited for Kai to leave and for Baekhyun and Taeyeon to go back inside their bubble to approach the giant.

He was sitting on the couch watching a soccer game while I was standing on the edge of the stairs – where I could see the big picture of the living room – and my older sister and her boyfriend were playing around in our backyard doing only God knew what, in other words we were the only ones inside the big house…perfect. Without further delay I hastened to sit beside him. The giant seemed immutable, there were no signs that he had noticed me, but I knew that he knew that I was next to him, in fact I would venture to say that he was waiting for me.

“Chanyeol, I'm not giving up. I need answers and you're the only one who can help me.” I said bluntly. I wanted answers now by any means.

At first – and as I predicted – he didn’t answer, he just devoted himself to see his goddamn game with intense eyes.

“Come on! You gotta help me! It’s not about just Baekhyun anymore! My sister's feelings are on the line…” I begged him, “My sanity is on the line.” I whispered the last part to myself.

Silence. Indifference. He wasn’t paying attention to me at all, but I was just starting.

“You cannot expect telling me to stay away from your brother without even telling me the reason why.” I tried again without much hope.

I remained in silence for a few seconds to try to read the expression of the giant, but he wasn’t making it any easier. His poker face kept me in uncertainty, as usual.

“I will not leave this issue aside until you answer me, Chanyeol,” I announced stubbornly, “If you want to see your game quietly you have to answer me first.”

He kept on watching TV like I wasn’t there. I admired his determination to ignore me really. Hence I decided this time a different approach knowing that this would – without a doubt – break his mask of indifference.

“I know that Baekhyun is your hyung and that you want to protect his reputation, but-” I didn’t have to continue talking, because when I said those words the tall boy turned his head and glared at me with eyes full of fury.

I tried not to crack a smile by biting my lower lip. I knew this would work, because for some reason Chanyeol always rejected any idea of protecting or worrying about his older brother, which I still didn’t understand.

“I'm not protecting him. Don’t be stupid.” He hissed, as if he were furious with the mere idea of it to be true.

“So why are you not telling me what I wanna know? Why do you want to continue hiding his secret? Because Baekhyun have secrets, doesn’t he?” I tempted him with resolution.

It was the first time I saw him so upset, or rather, it was the first time I saw him show any emotion; except for that time he showed some concern for me when I fell down the stairs.

“It’s not your business, Seulmi.”

“Just tell me why, Chanyeol. Why are you protecting him?” I provoked him again.

“ it! I'm not protecting him, I'm trying to protect you, ok!” He snapped raising his voice, looking at me with wide open eyes in exasperation.

Okay, I definitely wasn’t expecting something like that. I couldn’t conceive the fact that Chanyeol wanted to protect me, why would he want to? Why Chanyeol, the guy who didn’t give a damn about me, would want to protect me from something? And of what he was protecting me in first place?

“What? What are you talking about? Why would you want to protect me of all the people on planet earth? And what does that have to do with me wanting to find out more about my sister's boyfriend, huh?” I inquired incredulously.

He sighed in annoyance. “Are you sure you want to know about all of this ?” He asked coldly.

“Of course I want to!” I answered immediately.

“Okay, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

I just nodded stupidly, a little excited to finally have succeeded in convincing him. I was ready to receive answers. I was absolutely ready to know the real Baekhyun, or at least to see a small piece of him, at this point everything was appreciated.


Hello everyone! First of all, do you remember when I said that I was failing two courses? Well, to save them I had to attend (Well, I'm still going) to a sort of summer school, but of course, I had to do again just the courses I had failed before, so yeah. That explaines why I haven't updated even if I wanted to :( I'm working hard, because I don't want to fail again, you know.

Now, leaving that aside I wanted to ask you guys how do you feel about the chapters? I mean I was thinking that maybe the chapters were too long for some of you (?) So let me know how do you feel about the lenght.

Another thing, the next chapter is going to be narrated by another perspective, since it's going to focus on Chanyeol's life, so you guys can know about the thoughts and feelings of other characters. Actually I'm going to write a lot of those chapters on the future I think, they are going to be like little interludes on where you can take a look inside the heads of the other characters, so yeah :) Ugh, I'm super excited! I have a lot planned for this story to be honest, like this is just the beginning. I would like to write each chapter super fast so the story can progress fast...ahh!!! I'm super excited ^O^

Oh, and I'm sorry guys, I think you must feel tired of Kai since he appears in every chapter, but I can't help it, I swear!!! >.< Although in this chappie was necessary, but..ugh..anyways, please leave a comment!!

See you soon hopefully!! Love you! :3