Confusing

My Sister's Boyfriend

After that talk with Kai I felt much better, I felt supported and cherished, and that was enough to give me enough energy to endure the rest of my classes. However, unfortunately, my good mood vanished into thin air when I saw the car that was parked outside my home, an all too familiar car already for me. At the same time I realized that my sister's car wasn’t there, so I assumed that we were just me and him. And so I knew I was in trouble. I wasn’t ready to face him and act as if everything was fine. My hesitation was such that I was seriously considering go back to the school and studying in the library until it was safe to return home, but I was too lazy to do that, so that was out of the question. So, with resignation, I entered the house carefully, not wanting to bump into him just yet. Quickly and with all the agility with which I was able to, I headed towards the stairs, hoping to pass completely unnoticed. But nothing seemed to be in my favor when I heard footsteps coming in my direction, steps that came from the kitchen.

“Oh, baby, you’re home already.” Baekhyun exclaimed, walking in my direction contentedly. And when I saw the sweet smile he had on his face I couldn’t help thinking that he was indeed a good actor, following his role until the end.

I wanted to skip this part and go to my room, because I really didn’t want to talk to this guy, but he made it pretty hard. He couldn't just smile at me like that and make me feel so many things at the same time. He couldn't do that.

“Where is my sister?” I asked him quickly, trying not to immerse myself in those mesmerizing eyes.

“She is with clients. I think she’s going to design a wedding dress, so it's just you and me now. Taeyeon was worried about you, since we all know you hate to be alone, so I volunteered to keep you company, baby.” He said with a huge smile on his face, like he were enjoying all of this sincerely. “Why don’t you change and come to help me in the kitchen? I’m cooking and you can help me.”

I didn’t know what was worse, the fact that he were asking for my help in the kitchen knowing very well that my culinary skills were a fail or the fact of spending time together in the same room after all that had happened. What was he thinking? Did he really think I wanted to be in his presence after everything he had done? I didn’t want to be here with him, much less alone, and knowing that no one else was in the house at the moment made me extremely anxious. I didn’t know what to expect from this. Moreover, I was confused because Baekhyun was behaving in that bubbly way even knowing that there was no other witnesses around, there was no one besides me who could expose him, what was stopping him then? It was as if he were playing with my mind, maybe he wanted to make me go crazy so I could convince myself that what I really saw that night wasn’t him but it was just my imagination. I knew it sounded crazy, but I didn't know what to think anymore, Baekhyun was driving me crazy with his attitude.

“Eh…I can’t…I…I have…eh…homework, yeah, I have to do my homework…so, yeah…see ya.” I ended up saying clumsily, without being able to lie convincingly, and above all, unable to look at his face.

But when I was about to turn around and go to my room, he suddenly grabbed my wrist and held me close to his body. I looked at him with wide open eyes in surprise and bewilderment, because he had never done anything like this before. And my perplexity increased when I realized that his expression had changed radically, he wasn’t smiling with his typical sweet and playful smile anymore, instead he was staring at me with seriousness written all over his face, scrutinizing me with a suffocating intensity. My heart began to beat in an uncontrolled manner and I could feel how my breathing was accelerating gradually. I was so close to him that I could feel the heat radiating from his body, it was so warm that it was attracting me to him in a ridiculous way. Unable to tolerate the intensity of his gaze, I lowered my head and fixed my gaze on his chest, but that wasn’t a very good idea either, because I realized that he was wearing my favorite shirt. Usually he always wore casual outfits, always favoring comfort over fashion, so he rarely used shirts like now, which was a shame considering that he always looked hot and y with shirts. He looked manly, especially when the shirt was of a light color that went in harmony with his beautiful milky skin.

I knew I shouldn’t feel this way, let alone feel so attracted to this particular man, I shouldn’t eye him in this way either, but he made it impossible. Why he had to be so attractive? Why he had to make everything more difficult for me? Why he kept on looking for me when things between us clearly changed? Why he strived to stick with his lie when I knew his detestable secret? He shouldn’t smile in the way he was doing just seconds ago. He shouldn’t speak in a so comfortable and familiar way. He shouldn’t approaching me at this point, looking at me like I was the most important thing for him by the time being. Because everything was a lie. He was fake and I didn't trust him anymore.

“What about that attitude? I don’t remember you greeting me this coldly before. Aren’t you happy to see me?” He asked in a calm voice.

Well, when I saw how you cheated on my sister I discovered your true self, and I'm disappointed and angry. I want to hate you for being so cynic and coward, but at the end I can’t because I'm regrettably in love with you. So no, I'm not happy to see you.

That's what I wanted to answer, but I lacked the guts to do something like that.

“I’m just tired.” I lied eventually, without the energy to continue this conversation. I was really exhausted by this situation.

“Look at me.” He ordered me, ignoring my previous answer.

I didn’t give in. I just kept looking his chest as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. But suddenly I felt his fingers under my chin, and before I could react, he made me lift my head so we could make eye contact. And yet, I averted my eyes, looking everywhere except the man who was in front of me.

“I said look at me.” He said more firmly this time.

And foolishly, I did. I looked up and immersed myself into his eyes. I could feel how my legs trembled slightly by the mere fact of witnessing the way in which he was watching me, his eyes were like laser beams, breaking through the deepest part of my soul, it was as if he were seeking something within me. It might sound stupid, but I felt somewhat violated, his stare was that suffocating and powerful, it was so intense that I felt helpless, because I couldn’t look away; I was trapped. I knew that he knew he had a certain effect on me, I was sure that now he could sense my nervousness, and he was enjoying it, I just had to see the small smile that adorned his face at the moment as proof of that.

“I have noticed some tension between us, baby. Is something wrong?” He asked with a spark of amusement in his beautiful eyes.

I was literally speechless. So he really was treating me as if I were stupid, he was really making fun of me with that carefree attitude of his. It was as if he were challenging me to go against him, provoking me and imploring me to explode once and for all, daring me to say what I really thought of him. He was playing with me and my mind, I was his entertainment and he wanted me to lose the game. I didn't know what I did to deserve this nor did I know what I did to transform myself into his personal toy, because my only mistake was having trusted in Baekhyun. I didn't even know what to think of him, his mood swings confused me, and his attitudes were very contradictory. Which was the real Baekhyun? What did he want me to do? What did he want from me? Why was he playing with me like this? I didn't understand, I really didn't. And unable to contain my emotions, I looked at him with sadness and anguish, not knowing what to do with him. I wanted to cry so badly, but I wouldn’t shed tears in front of this man that lately proved to be quite insensitive. But things didn't always go as you expect it, because I ended up crying anyways.

“You're being very cruel.” I sobbed quietly, staring directly into his eyes, showing him how upset I was with him for acting like this. It was no longer just for the fact that he had cheated on my sister, but also was the manner in which he was acting around me, giving me confusing and obnoxious signs. I wasn't guilty of anything, so I didn't understand why he vented his frustration on me.

I thought he would smile at me again and leave me there alone, I thought he would make fun of my weakness and even expected him to ignore me to continue with his act. So it was a real surprise when I saw how his gaze softened at the time that I let my tears run free down my cheeks. Suddenly I felt like I was looking at the Baekhyun I knew, I felt I was in the presence of my dear and caring oppa; if he ever really existed. And as if this couldn’t become weirder, he cradled my face in his gentle hands and wiped away my tears gently, being careful to not rub too hard.

He sighed deeply. “Don’t cry.” He whispered softly while he smiled at me with sweetness, making me weak.

I hated him. I really hated him at that moment, confusing me even more than I already was. Making me fall deeper for him. Everything was very unfair.

“You go change and help me cook, okay? I’m doing your favorite dish, baby.” He said still with my face cradled between his hands, smiling happily, changing of personality once again. This guy was really bipolar.

Without wanting to discuss any longer with him I found myself in the obligation to nod slowly, with full resignation. And he seemed satisfied with my answer, because he smiled at me from ear to ear, and after giving me a kiss on the forehead, he went to the kitchen to finish his cooking. However, I was nailed to the floor, touching the place where Baekhyun had kissed me with my trembling hand. I felt how my heart started pounding strongly, and suddenly I felt warmth invade my heart, which was happy to feel the warmth that it had missed so much once again. It had only been a day with the new Baekhyun, but I missed the old one so bad. I longed to regain our old relationship, at least before he showed interest and concern for me, either fake or genuine, but it made me feel loved anyways. Whereas now, I felt like I was only a simple entertainment for him.

With a sigh I went to my room, determined to change my clothes while I prepared myself mentally for the long afternoon that awaited me ahead. One evening that I would have to spend with my sister's boyfriend, the man who confused me in many different levels.

I knew it was going to be this way, after all we both knew that I was a real mess in the kitchen, so after cutting the vegetables into slices too thin or too thick and of cutting my finger in the process, Baekhyun ordered me to sit down without doing anything, and I couldn’t be happier for it sincerely. But at the same time it was boring to be doing absolutely nothing, so I entertained myself watching how Baekhyun moved around the kitchen like a pro. Without realizing, a smile appeared on my face when I watched how Baekhyun cooked my favorite dish carefully, fully concentrated on what he was doing, looking all charming and attractive. I had always liked seeing him like that, because when he focused on something his gaze turned serious and intense, he looked really hot like this. But another thing that I loved and that he did it quite often, was when he worked hard in something and bit his lower lip, playing with it with his tongue from time to time. I had fantasized many times because of it, imagining how it would be kissing those soft, pink lips of his. How it would bite myself those tempting lips, but then I remember that those lips were constantly kissed by my older sister and that's when all my fantasies faded away, since it was such a turn off.

“You want to stare at me a little bit longer or do you want to eat?” Asked a melodious voice, pulling me out of my reverie.

Baekhyun was with arms crossed as he grinned at me amused, looking at me with playful eyes. And that's where I realized that I had been watching him for a long time, since the food was ready and already served on the table to be devoured by a certain person. There were two plates on the table, one for me and one for him, which made me realize that this would be the most awkward dinner of my life.

I glanced up and looked at the boy with an awkward and forced smile. “Thanks for the food.” I whispered, determined to finish the meal as soon as possible to go to my room and lock me up until my sister’s return.

He didn’t say anything after that, he just sat down with a sigh and began to eat in silence. I would say that the situation wasn’t as bad as I had imagined, but I could feel his intense gaze on my face permanently, making me self-conscious. I couldn’t even swallow my food with tranquility and peace. I was trying really hard to ignore it, but as the seconds passed it became impossible for me to pretend that nothing happened. So, tired of being the sheep over here, I looked up and gave him a what-do-you-think-you’re-doing? look. But he just smiled innocently, like he wasn’t doing anything wrong. I was about to say something, anything to show my discomfort, but before I could do my cellphone rang suddenly.

I always took the device to wherever I went because of Taeyeon’s overprotection, so she could call me every time she felt anxious about my safety. I took the cellphone in my hands and I realized that I had gotten a message, and surprise surprise; it was Kai.

Hey, princess. Guess what, I'm with my friends and they (especially Tao) want to see you again. What do you say? Want to hang out?;) You better say yes, I miss you, you know.

I smiled amused as I shook my head. Kai never failed to make me smile, so I was terribly grateful, because I urgently needed a distraction. I knew what he was doing, he wanted to keep me company because of what I said to him in school, he really wanted to me make me forget about everything. So it wasn’t a bad idea at all, the truth is that I had a great time in our supposed date, besides Kyungsoo and Tao would be there too. It was definitely a good idea, but there was a problem. I just couldn’t leave the house without my supposed babysitter’s permission and I didn’t want to ask him. Although I should ask my sister, since she was my legal guardian after all, but the one in charge right now – unfortunately – was her stupid boyfriend.

Sorry, but I can’t go, I’m not allow to :/

Come on! Ask again, I want to see you, princess >.<

I couldn’t help but smile when I read the message, and I was pretty sure that my cheeks were flushed. Kai was too cheesy, but even though his words didn't have real meaning they made me happy anyways.

“Why are you smiling? Who are you are texting to?” Baekhyun asked all of a sudden.

Busted. I looked up and realized that he was already staring at me with a frown. I thought a few seconds whether to tell the truth or not, after all the last time I told him about Kai and my date with him he didn’t seem very apprehensive about it. Although I had to remind myself that those were other times, everything could be different now. So convincing myself that it wasn’t going to do any harm to ask, I addressed him with determination. “Can I hang out with Kai? He just ask me out.”

I never thought I would see so many different expressions in the face of a person, let alone in a short span of time. First he frowned, tilting his head as if he didn’t understand something. Then he let his chopsticks on the table, completely leaving aside his food and narrowed his eyes, directing his gaze to a standstill, as if he were in deep thought. Later he pursed his lips and his eyes began to dance in something very much like to fury. And finally, he stared at me with hidden flames coming out of his beautiful brown eyes.

“You mean the tanned guy who was with you in the club?” He asked angrily, as if he didn’t know the answer already.

“Yeah, he’s Kai.” I merely said, trying to sound indifferent and infected by his attitude changes.

“Then no, you won’t go anywhere with that guy.” He said dismissively, fixing his attention on his food again.

The truth is that I knew his answer would be unsatisfactory for me, but I didn’t like the way in which he dismissed the matter. He didn’t say anything against Kai, but I knew better. After all I just had to remember what he said about him yesterday, Baekhyun believed that Kai wasn't a good guy for me for some reason that I couldn't understand, which made me doubt his intentions. Why Baekhyun wanted me to stay away from Kai? From the moment I talked about him for the first time Baekhyun seemed to have a certain rejection towards the tanned guy. But why? That's what I wanted to find out among many other things. In fact I had many things to discover about my sister’s boyfriend, because I never knew him very well in first place apparently. I still had much to discover about him, but as much as I wanted to decipher those mysteries I wasn't capable of doing so, not when he gave me confusing and discouraging signs all the time.

“What do you have against Kai? He is a great person and he makes me smile.” I defended him as I frowned.

In one swift motion, he raised his eyes and looked at me with hard and inflexible eyes. “You talk about him as if you two were very close. Tell me, Seulmi, who is he to you sincerely? Is he your boyfriend? Because if he is, I don’t approve of him.” He said as if his answer were the most natural thing in the world, or worse, as if he had a say about my private life.

“Firstly he is not my boyfriend, he’s just a special person to me. Secondly, you have no right to say that you don’t approve of him because you don’t even know him, and thirdly, stop meddling in my life.” I snapped angrily, without thinking before speaking.

However, instead of scolding me or commenting about my new attitude with him, he let it go. “I only know that I don’t like him for you. I recognize his kind, believe me, you don’t want to be with him. He looks like a player, he’s not worth your time. He's just playing with you, I know, so it's best to cut ties with him as soon as possible.” He continued mumbling.

I rolled my eyes in exasperation at his stubbornness. I knew he was right, because Kai was indeed a player, but that had nothing to do with our relationship that was rather of a platonic friendship. Also, I'll never be desperate enough to go out with a guy who didn't take a relationship seriously, therefore I would never have that kind of relationship with Kim Kai, oh God no. He was a good person and all, but I was sure that he wouldn’t be a good boyfriend, besides I was happy with what we had so far. But it seemed that no one understood that among Kai and me nothing happened. First Taeyeon, who believed that I finally had a love interest, then Sehun, who had sent me dozens of messages asking me about my sudden closeness with the boy in question and finally Baekhyun, who believed that I felt something for the tanned boy. Like seriously, me and Kai? It will never happen. Yet, I was tired of clarifying the situation, after all no one believed me anyway, so I was just going to let them think what they wanted to believe. Besides, Baekhyun had no right to criticize his ways when he himself cheated on my sister with another girl. He was being hypocrite.

“It is unfair, instead of having fun with my friends I'm forced to be here with you. That's not funny at all.” I muttered under my breath.

He scoffed. “So now you think I’m boring, huh. I'm surprised, usually you love to spend time with me, I see it in your smile every time you see me.” He said with a smug smirk.

Upon hearing those words I blushed instantly as I stared at him with wide open eyes in disbelief, completely shocked by the sudden response. “No, that’s not true!” I said defensively perhaps too fast, because I could see the amusement in his eyes.

How could he change of attitude so quickly without any effort? Suddenly he was serious, then he showed me that look full of worry, the next minute he looked at me with anger and finally he made fun of me, who understood him? Certainly not me. And before I could deny it all over again, he began to chuckle, filling my ears with my favorite melody in the whole world. My exasperation and annoyance disappeared as soon as I saw his face; crescent eyes and mouth formed in a rectangular smile, oh God, he was so beautiful and my heart melted at that sight.

“Don’t laugh.” I muttered with a scowl. I was afraid that if he kept laughing and looking all cute I would die of a heart attack.

“Ok, ok. Sorry, baby.” He said trying to stop laughing to no avail, because he still let out tender giggles.

I knew that I was blushing again, all thanks to the effect it had on me those adorable giggles. But I tried to stay with a stoic expression, although I doubted it worked my mask of a serious and indifferent girl, because Baekhyun just smiled sweetly at me. I could only look away from his undoubtedly handsome face when my cell phone rang again, and this time I knew who it was.

Why are you taking so long to reply? Don’t ignore me, beautiful. You hurt my feelings! T^T

I smiled fondly at the message. Although, seriously, I still didn't get used to all the emoticons he used, I mean we are talking about Kim Kai over here, the most wanted and y guy in our high school. And all those emoticons didn't help the image he created of himself.

I’m sorry, but I can’t, I just ask and nope, I can't get out

“You know what? I'll prove to you that it's not so bad being with me a whole afternoon, so stop texting that boy already.” He said all of a sudden, trying to gain my attention.

I left my cell phone aside and looked at him with an arched eyebrow, wondering what his intentions were, but by now I just gave up. I had no patience to guess his true intentions anymore.

At the end, his idea of having fun was to watch a movie in the living room; the two of us alone. I didn't know how he thought that this would be a good idea, I mean I thought that at this point he must have noticed how uncomfortable I felt in his presence, so I didn't know what reason led him to wanting to torture me for the two-hour-long film. And as if that weren’t enough he chose a movie totally misplaced and terribly uncomfortable to watch, at least for me. In fact I tried to wriggle out of this because of the awkwardness of the situation, but Baekhyun wasn’t willing to take no for an answer, he was fully determined to watch the damn movie with me and I wanted to hide under the ground to preserve my sanity. Now you may wonder what kind of movie was for me to act this way. Well the stupid ert of Byun Baekhyun intended to see fifty shades of Grey. Who was that stupid and dense enough to want to watch a movie like this with his girlfriend’s little sister alone? Yes, it was just a movie, I got that, and the scenes weren't that strong – I knew because I already watched it in advance with Sehun, don’t judge me – but please, that didn't remove the fact that it had ual content and watching all this in the company of my sister's boyfriend didn't excite me. In short it wasn't a good idea at all. Period.

“Can I just do my homework and go to bed instead?” I asked him with a pout.

He shook his head. “Nope, you have to watch this movie with me.” He said smiling innocently. “Think of it as a punishment for texting that kid in my presence.” He added narrowing his eyes.

I blushed. Well, at least he was aware that it was a form of torture and that it wasn't pleasant to watch these movies with the girl who he supposedly considered as a little sister. Either way, I sat beside him on the couch with my eyes fixed on the television screen, remaining silent, still embarrassed. He just watched me for a few seconds in silence too, without playing the movie. Needless to say that I felt intimidated by his penetrating gaze that was fixed on my face, but I tried to remain immutable, still looking forward. But when I realized that I couldn’t stand it any longer, I turned my head and looked at him questioningly, blinking innocently, trying to read his expression in the process. And suddenly, his neutral expression became one of sweetness, smiling at me with my favorite smile as he ruffled my hair affectionately. Then, as if nothing had happened, he pressed the play button and the movie began.

At first, everything was extremely awkward, and every time it appeared a scene I turned my head in embarrassment while Baekhyun let out adorable giggles, obviously enjoying my discomfort. But as the film went by I found myself chilling out considerably, enough to feel sleepy, because to be honest it wasn't one of my favorite movies at all. The first time I watched it I promised myself that I would never do it again considering that it wasn't worth to watch it more than once, after all it didn't have a consistent argument and it was clearly overrated, so yes, I was a little bored and sleepy.

“Come here, baby.” He whispered suddenly, positioning my head on his right shoulder carefully. And then he put an arm around my shoulders to keep me in place. Apparently he had noticed my groggy state.

I didn’t struggle, in fact quite the opposite, I made myself comfortable into his shoulder swiftly, snuggling into his chest contentedly. In this position I felt comfortable, warm and protected. I missed being close to him in this way, without worries or restraints, to the extent possible obviously. I just wanted to enjoy the moment and stop thinking tirelessly about that certain topic that involved him. I wasn’t going to try to understand him anymore, I wasn’t going to keep stuck in this matter, because to be honest it was tiring and depressing. Now I'll just pretend that everything was fine, I'll forget that our relationship changed, but only for the being time. Just for now, just for now I wanted to have him around and enjoy of his delicious smiles. I was going to ignore the fact that for the first time we were in this intimate position, I’ll try to dismiss the fact that he were my hair gently for the first time ever and I’ll pretend that I didn’t realize when he buried his nose at the top of my head to sniff my hair more than once. And finally I promised to never remember this ever happened when I heard how the entrance door opened.

Taeyeon, Baekhyun’s girlfriend was at home, reminding me once again that this was wrong and that my attempts to be positive were in vain.

The only thing I could think of was of how exhausted I was right now. I had a headache and I felt sleepy from the moment I woke up this morning. Therefore classes became particularly tedious today, I couldn’t pay attention to any of my classes properly, so I was sure that I would have to borrow the notes of each lecture later with one of my classmates. But now I just wanted to go to the cafeteria and eat my lunch for at least regain some of my energy and pull myself together for the rest of the day, so I rushed to order my locker. Yet, before I could move my feet to go to my new destination, someone stood in my way.

“I thought we had a deal.” Spoke the girl in front of me with her arms crossed, looking at me with an expression that didn’t say anything.

I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes, knowing that it wouldn’t be of her liking. I didn’t expect her to approach me to be honest, not now that I finally had withdrawn of her way, but apparently I was wrong.

“Sohee, please don’t start. I did everything you told me, what more do you want from me?” I said without trying to hide my tediousness, after all I was in no mood to even care of what I was saying in her presence.

“I told you to stop interfering between me and my boyfriend, but you keep doing it.” She hissed, without altering her position.

“What are you talking about? I don't even reply the messages he sends me.” I said with a frown. This girl really didn't make any sense.

“Perhaps you have been away from him physically, but you're still in his mind. These days Sehun has been distant, he doesn’t even talk to me like before and when he does the only thing he says is how much he misses you and how confused he is about being ignored by his best friend, blah blah blah.” She said dismissively. “Seriously, I’m fed up with Seulmi this, Seulmi that. Can’t you just disappear from our lives once and for all, Kim Seulmi?” She said cocking her head, looking at me with narrowed eyes.

Wow…just…wow. This girl was really out of place. I didn't know what to think of her, whether to stay with the idea that she had a psychological problem or that she was really stupid. Clearly she had an impressive distortion of the reality and now she believed it was because of me that Sehun couldn't stop thinking about his best friend, which was very understandable, I would also behave in that way if he suddenly starts avoiding me out of nowhere. Although, the fact that he were worried about our friendship made me feel a lot better, at least now I knew that in the end he will manage to get to the bottom of all this mess on his own so we could be together again, I just had to deposit my faith in my best friend and everything was going to be fine. He was the only one who could fix all of this, after all I had no power in this situation and the final decision was his.

“You do realize that I have no control over Sehun’s thoughts, right?” I said cautiously, trying not to sound too irritated.

She snorted. “Just…just get out of the way, .” She said with a frown, not amused at all.

Yeah sure, and now she was acting childish, calling me once again. She was the for crying out loud. I no longer knew what to say or what to do, so I simply stepped aside to continue with my way, but she stopped me, standing in front of me again, blocking me. But before she could open again and blame me for all the bad things that happened in her relationship, my tanned hero appeared to rescue me, as always on time.

“Hey, princess. I was looking for you.” He said when he was close enough, smiling charmingly as ever.

I just dedicated him an awkward smile, making him tilt his head in confusion for the insincere welcome, realizing immediately that something was wrong with me. He turned his head and looked at the girl who was dangerously close to me before returning his gaze to my face quickly. And upon seeing the understanding in his eyes, I knew he had grasped the situation, after all he knew about the complicated relationship between Sohee, Sehun and me. So, helping me out of the situation as it became usual in him, he grabbed my right wrist and without giving a single glance to the other girl, he dragged me to the cafeteria. Kai guided me in silence towards the first empty table he found, forcing me to sit pushing me by the shoulders, and without saying anything he went to the queue to order our lunches. After ten minutes, the boy returned with two trays in each of his hands as if they weighed nothing. He put a tray in front of me and immediately sat down in front of me. I looked the food that was left within my reach and then I looked up at him with curious eyes, terribly intrigued by his attitude, he was quiet, something very unusual in him, which made me think that maybe he was upset for some reason. But my insecurities faded away when he glanced up and gave me a sincere and gentle smile, letting me know that everything was in order. I smiled back, grateful for his help and for the fact that he didn’t question me, since I didn’t want to tell him about what had happened over there with Sohee, and everything indicated that he got that, that would be explain his silence. Thus, we ate in a comfortable and refreshing silence while we enjoyed each other's company. That is until I felt terribly observed.

“Kai, they’re staring at me again.” I groaned with a pout as I felt how a fairly large group of girls glared at me with pure hatred.

The boy who sat in front of me followed the direction of my gaze, but when those girls realized that Kai was looking at them their frowns were replaced by flirty smiles, directed to him. I didn't understand the degree of obsession that almost all the girls seemed to have for the tanned guy. I knew that he was attractive and all that, but at this point it was quite creepy. In fact I didn't know how he hadn't gone into panic mode yet, because if I were in his place I would be accusing them of stalkers, but he seemed quite happy with the attention he got.

“Just ignore them and don’t worry, they are harmless. Those girls wouldn’t dare to hurt you.” He said nonchalantly as he turned his head to focus on me again.

“How do you know that?” I asked curiously, since based on their glares I knew that when they had the opportunity they would eliminate me from this boy’s life.

He gave me a look of disbelief. After leaving aside his food he looked at me earnestly, but I could see a hint of amusement in his playful eyes. “Let's see. Tell me why all the girls seem to avoid you and hate you so much?” He asked me supporting his elbows on the table as he put his chin in his hands, staring at me intently, waiting for my answer.

Why girls hated me? Well, personally I believed it was for all the attention I got from guys, which was very immature of them if you asked me. I never gave them any reason to hate me. I always showed myself as an open and friendly person, but they blocked all my attempts to socialize and it brought bad effects on my life, since these were the facts that made me more insecure than I already was naturally.

“Come on! It's not that hard to guess.” He said impatiently.

I crossed my arms and frowned. “Tell me already. I don’t have all the time in the world, Mr. Kim Kai.” I said wrinkling my nose, a habit that appeared whenever I felt exasperated about something.

He smiled sweetly and looked me in the eyes gently. “Because you are everything they are not, everything that they would like to be.” He said easily.

I raised an eyebrow and looked at him questioningly, without getting his point. “What do you mean? I'm like everyone else, I’m nothing special.” I said with a shrug, oblivious to what he wanted to say.

Still smiling, he shook his head, as if he were totally amused because of my ignorance. “You're really dense, you know.”

I frowned, unsatisfied by his comment. “If you don’t tell me clearly what you mean, I will eat my lunch in another table away from you.”

He chuckled. “So childish.”

I just stayed silent, waiting for the obvious answer according to him. He stared into my eyes with a small smile, then he sighed as he shook his head. “Silly, you’re sweet, innocent and beautiful. They are jealous because in spite of all the hatred that you receive, you remain pure. You don’t have bad feelings, you're just an insecure girl. They want to destroy your innocence, but they can’t do it, that’s why all the girls hate you so much. Guys perceive that, therefore they are dying to become the man that you deserve, a man who can protect you. But, of course, some of them just want to take you and that’s it, after all you are untainted. You’re so pure and beautiful, Seulmi and you don’t acknowledge that.” He said easily, as if he were reciting a poem; gradually and with sincerity emanating from every pore of his being. And after his short speech, he focused on his food casually, as if he hadn’t just melted my heart.

I watched him with wide open eyes in surprise, completely stunned by what I had just heard, and no one could blame me at all, after all Kai just complimented me in an innocent way without hidden intentions.

When he realized that I wasn’t going to talk anytime soon he looked into my eyes again, and upon seeing my puzzled expression he smirked, which made me blush instantly. Without wanting to give him more reason to make fun of me, I looked down and pretended to entertain myself with my food, but it was hard to ignore those brown eyes that remained fixed on my face.

“Eat your food.” I ordered him with red cheeks, without looking up.

I heard him release little giggles, and after a few seconds I stopped feeling his intense stare, which made me relax instantly. We didn’t talk much after that, and I felt strangely comfortable with the silence that enveloped us and I could feel that he felt the same way. And every time we looked up and our eyes met, Kai dedicated me an innocent smile, making me smile back involuntarily.

Strangely I felt finally at peace, I was still sad and puzzled by Baekhyun’s weird attitude, but I felt much better now, somehow my heart was content, and I wondered if it had to do with Kai and his undoubted positive energy. However, my state of peace only lasted a few minutes, because when Kai got up from the table to go to the bathroom a girl – whom I recognized as one of Kai’s girls – with an arrogant and self-centered attitude approached me with a venomous glare, squinting her eyes as she scanned each feature of my face with suspicion. Meanwhile, I looked back at her quizzically, confused by her sudden presence, but I had a small idea of what her intentions were, it wasn’t hard to guess anyway.

“Look at you, enjoying your lunch with my man.” She commented with disdain, in a soft, feminine voice.

Ugh, now I had to deal with another Sohee. Oh God, I was sick of obsessive girls. In first place Kai didn't belong to her in any way and if she thought so, then she had big problems. But I managed to stay with a neutral expression while I watched her intently, waiting for her next words.

“Listen, Seulmi, I'll be direct, stay away from Kai. He is mine and you're in my way.” The pretty girl said in a calm and controlled tone of voice.

I studied her face for a few seconds with a poker face until I finally – unable to hold back any longer– let out a deep sigh. I was tired and disappointed of the behavior of this girl, who suddenly appeared in front of me out of nowhere at the very moment in which I was feeling a little bit better, ruining my day already. Why people felt so intimidated by me? Why girls felt the need to trample me and order me around? Why did they feel that they had the right to tell me to stay away from the people with whom I wanted to be with? First Sohee ordered me to stay away from my best friend, and now this plastic girl ordered me to stay away from another person dear to me. At least in the first case I was doing a favor to my friend, because I knew that a conflict between me and his girlfriend would only hurt him, so it was preferable to back off and give him space with her. However now it was completely different, because clearly this girl was making a fool of herself because she had no right over the tanned guy, and I certainly had no intention of disappearing from the life of the only person who could support me in the situation I was involve in. What could she do anyways? Maybe I was weak and insecure but strangely enough I wasn't afraid of this girl. Sohee was by far much worse.

“Sorry, but I don’t think I can do that. As far as I know you're not his girlfriend and he is mature enough to decide with whom he wants to be with. In the future please talk to him about these issues and not with me. I don’t want unnecessary drama in my life.” With Sohee I had enough thank you.

She narrowed her eyes and pursed her lips in annoyance. “You don’t know with who you're talking to. Don’t tempt me, Kim Seulmi. I can be your best friend, but I can also become your worst nightmare.” She hissed, nothing amused by my super response.

Okay, now I was beginning to get worried, but I didn’t let falter my expression. And it was for this reason that I remained on the sidelines – to the extent possible, considering that, nevertheless, I managed to stand out over the rest for some reason – all these years of high school, because let's face it, teenagers could be quite cruel. Besides the fact that she knew my name without me knowing hers made me really uncomfortable. I opened my mouth to say something when someone interrupted our little chat. When I realized who it was, a smile formed on my face instantly, relieved not to have to deal with this alone. Kai looked at me with an arched eyebrow, as if he were asking me what this was all about, and I think my expression of despair spoke by itself because after a few seconds of studying my face he gave me a knowing look. No matter the circumstances, Kai could always read me as if I were an open book to him.

“Alex, is it my idea or are you trying to intimidate my princess?” Kai asked, sitting on his side of the table with a carefree attitude while he looked at that Alex girl with judgmental eyes.

The y girl stiffened immediately, looking at him nervously. “Of course not...I was…we were…” She started to say haltingly.

He cut her off. “Listen, I will say this only once.” He said gravely, without humor in his eyes, a rather rare sight in him considering that his personality was vibrant and bright. “We had something in the past and we had fun, but you have to understand once and for all that you are nothing to me, you just were a fling and you knew very well since the beginning because I was always clear to you, so get over it and go on with your life. Now you’re annoying as , give me a ing breath woman. Now, I don’t want you near my princess ever again, do you hear me? Because if I find out that you did something to her I’m not going to be so kind to you, Alex. Now get out of my sight.” He said looking straight into her eyes, with flames coming out of his eyes.

She was on the verge of tears, so she ran away trying to hide her wet cheeks without looking back. I followed her with my gaze as I pouted. I felt kind of bad for the girl, it must be horrible to be rejected in front of another person. She may be an obsessive girl, but she had feelings too and I could notice that she really liked Kai.

“I swear that that girl gets me on my nerves. I can’t get rid of her.” He complained as he massaged his temples.

“You shouldn’t be so hard on her.” I mumbled, still looking in the direction in which she had slipped away.

Kai huffed. “Shouldn’t you be thanking me instead of scolding me?”

I turned my head and looked at him, realizing that he was already watching me with an intense look. “Thanks for defending me, but I think it was a bit excessive.” I said sheepishly.

“Excessive?” He scoffed. “You're too nice, beautiful.”

I grinned slightly. “Well, didn’t you tell me that your fangirls were harmless?” I with the intention of relieving the atmosphere.

“In my defense, most of them are indeed harmless, but Alex…well, she is a ing psycho, so yeah…” He said scratching his neck awkwardly. “But don’t worry, nothing I can’t handle.” He assured me with a confident smile.

I giggled at those words, because I found very amusing the fact that he wanted to play the role of super hero just to impress me, because really, I doubted he was serious, after all he had never been annoyed because of girls, especially with his girls. Probably he just wanted to act like a gentleman in front of me or something, that is if he was still seeking for a chance to get to me. “So, are you going to protect me from all of them?” I joked, pointing to his group of fangirls who were sitting a few tables away.

Kai stared into my eyes and stated with seriousness written all over his face. “Of course I will.” He sighed. “As if I would let something happen to my princess.” He added in a soft tone of voice.

I didn’t know if those words were what made my heart pounded a thousand miles per second or it was the sincerity with which he had said them, but my chest felt on fire. Funny, but this guy always managed to make me feel in a weird way, he always managed to confuse me an almost pathetic ridiculous way. Needless to say that my cheeks were bright red.

“You really have to stop joking about this matter, Kim Kai.” I said trying to appear calm when we both know how nervous I felt, and my red cheeks were accusing me really badly.

He smiled at me gently. “Yah, Seulmi. I’m dead serious over here.” He sighed deeply. “It every time you doubt about my feeling, you know.” He said pouting cutely.

I blushed even more, I was on fire literally! “Ugh! You’re so confusing!” I whined.

He chuckled. “Cute.”

Okay, now I could swear that I would burst because of embarrassment. This guy just enjoyed seeing me all nervous and flushed.


Hello my people, it's been a while, right? Can you forgive me about that, pretty please? Like seriously, I'm so busy with college that I can barely sleep nowdays, no lie! T^T And to add misery to my life I'm failing two courses already :( that really , I study like crazy but my grades are horrible :(((

So yeah, I can't promise fast updates because I don't have the time to write for now, but I have one month of classes and then holidays baby :D Please wait for me!

Anyways, back to the story, I know that Baekhyun is a little who acts like whatever, but he has a reason to do that, so eventually you guys will know everything at the right time ;)  Oh, and yeah, more kaixseulmi moments, sorry but I can't get enough of Kai (he's my bias <3) but don't worry, baek will have a lot of scenes with Mimi in the future, he's the main after all :D

Well, I hope you liked the chapter. Leave me a comment and wait for me >.<

Bye Bye! Lots of love ^O^