Irreplaceable

Tug of war
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
        Ren: "I can't find it anywhere."   JR: "okay, don't worry, we'll find it. Minhyun is going crazy cleaning up after me because I'm turning the dorm upside down looking for it."   Ren: "aww, thank you Jonghyun. I don't know how it could have fallen off my finger without me noticing."   JR: "rings get lost all the time my love. I'll make it my life mission to find it! And if we don't find it, we'll go buy you another one."   Ren: "Jonghyun, that ring meant a lot to me. I can't just get another one, it's irreplaceable."   JR: "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that."   Ren: "it's okay."   JR: "okay, well hurry up and get back home, I miss you."   Ren: "awwww! I miss you too, I'll make it quick. I just need to check the rehearsal room."           Ren presses his lips to the phone and blows a kiss. He giggles kindly to himself as it is reciprocated on the other end of the phone. They hang up and he holds the phone against his chest, inhaling deeply before sliding the phone back in his pocket. He skips along, and down the hallway. His hand presses against the door to the rehearsal room the members had all been in last but pauses at the sound of singing and guitar playing from the rehearsal room behind him.              He drops his hand to the side and turns to face the other room, as he nears closer to the door he quietly enters at the tail end of the song. He smiles softly at the sight of Baekho seated beside his vocal coach who has begun strumming away at the guitar again, starting a new song. Ren stands there, not wanting to interrupt, he just watches from behind, Baekho's face reflecting against the mirrors lined across the wall. As the vocal coach's fingers run against the guitar strings, Baekho takes a sip of water then closes his eyes and begins to sing.    Baekho: "Saying I love you Is not the words I want to hear from you It's not that I want you Not to say it, but if you only knew How... easy... it would be to show me how you feel
More than words, is all you have to do to make it real
Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me
Cause I'd already know"            Ren's heart races as the words being uttered by Baekho hit home. Swallowing a large gulp, he continues to just stare as Baekho continues to sing, as if singing the words directly to him, as if without even looking he can feel him in the room. The vocal coach who's head is bobbing to the beautifully sung cover of 'More than words' turns his head to the side and smiles at the sight of the very visibly entranced Ren.                Baekho: "What would you do  if my heart was torn in two? More than words to show you  feel that your love for me is real.   What would you say if I took those words away?                                 Then you couldn't make things new Just by saying I love you."

         A single bead of sweat builds up at his right temple, and slowly makes its way down the side of his face as the pain in Baekho's voice is evident. Having had enough, Ren turns and reaches for the door. The vocal coach gently slides his foot across and taps Baekho's, drawing his attention and causing him to open his eyes. He looks to Ren's reflection in the mirror before him and just watches as he attempts to leave. Ren turns his attention back to Baekho one last time and their eyes meet, Ren's hands fall from the door.

Baekho: "Now that I've tried to talk to you and make you understand.         All you have to do is close your eyes. And just reach out your hands and touch me.                                       Hold me close don't ever let me go More than words is all I ever needed you to show.                                  Then you wouldn't have to say that you love me.                                 Cause I'd already know."

        Baekho's hand raises and he winces while singing the chorus of the song. His hand grazes his throat as he begins to feel a slight strain on his vocal chords. The guitar playing is abruptly stopped as is the singing along with it. 

Vocal coach: "you did well Dongho, your voice is getting stronger everyday. I think we've done enough for today though, you don't want to injure yourself again."

Baekho: "thank you so much Hyung, this wouldn't be possible without you!"

Vocal coach: "don't worry, you'll be singing like your old self in no time. Maybe even better since you've had all this time to let it rest."

       He and Baekho both stand from their seats and bow to one another. As he places his guitar back in its case Ren and Baekho just stand there exchanging longing gazes at one another from across the room. Case in hand, Baekho looks to his coach and the two bow once again before he makes his way toward the door. Ren bows while stepping aside and allowing him to exit the room. 

Baekho: "did you hear that? I'll be singing better than ever in no time."

Ren: "yes, I heard. You must be happy! I'm happy for you!"

Baekho: "thanks."

Ren: "that song was beautiful."

Baekho: "yeah, he taught it to me. He said that it would be better for my training to practice with songs in English. That way I can work on strengthening my voice and pronunciation at the same time."

Ren: "that's smart."

Baekho: "yeah."

Ren: "so..."

Baekho: "so..."

Ren: "well, I didn't mean to interrupt. I was just looking around for my ring."

Baekho: "the one your mum gave you?"

Ren: "y-yeah. I didn't think I told anyone that."

Baekho: "I wasn't always just 'anyone'."

Ren: "sorry, I didn't--"

Baekho: "I'm kidding. Do you want me to help you find it?"

Ren: "no, it's okay. Jonghyun is already..."

Baekho: "got it."

          Ren stares at Baekho from, he watches his awkward behavior and the way his eyes just continue to shift from him to the floor repeatedly. In an attempt to put him at ease he steps closer to him and places a hand on his shoulder. Baekho's eyes raise from the floor and make their way to meet with Ren's.

Ren & Baekho: "so..."

         They both laugh, breaking the tension. Ren looks to his own hand resting on his shoulder and he slowly pulls it away. Shyly they both look in opposite directions before their attention is drawn back to each other as if there was some sort of magnetic pull.

Ren: "this is crazy!"

Baekho: "I know..."

Ren: "It's been months. Things shouldn't still be like this."

Baekho: "I'm trying, I promise you that I am."

Ren: "I know, but--"

Baekho: "but my thoughts can't move an inch without bumping into some piece of you."

Ren: "You can't say--"

Baekho: "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have."

         Ren lowers his head then turns it to face the door. Baekho reaches out and grabs a hold of his arm. As he turns back to face Baekho, he is pulled into him. He holds him tightly in a deep embrace. Ren rest his chin on Baekho's shoulder and stares at his reflection briefly before he allows his eyes to close. The familiarity of his touch causes him to breath in deeply, and as he exhales he is brought back to five months ago when the two were in the same exact frame of mind, position and location.                              

         Ren turns back and looks to Baekho's hand latched tightly on his arm. With swollen eyes he stands there, Baekho's bottom lip begins to quiver before he lets go of his arm and stumbles back slightly. Ren steps closer to him and places his hand against his face, cradling it, feeling teardrops as they make their way from his eyes to his hands.

Ren: "I'm so sorry Dongho, I never meant to hurt you."

Baekho: "Why couldn't it have come from you? Why did he have to tell me?"

Ren: "because of this, if i had seen this look on your face... I--"

Baekho: "would have chose me out of pity?"

Ren: "no, no, no, no, no!"

Baekho: "do you still care for me?"

Ren: "of course I do, I think I always will."

Baekho: "so why him?"

Ren: "because... Because I love him."

Baekho: "and you don't love me?"

          Tears now pour from Ren's own eyes as he continues to caress Baekho's full cheeks. 

Baekho: "that was a stupid question, because I know that you love me. And until you tell me that you don't feel the same, I will always love you."

          He raises his own hand to Ren's face and holds it within his warm Palm. The two draw closer, and closer to each other, Baekho's lips just barely brushing against his. They both breath in and out heavily, sharing breath while struggling to hold back the urge to go in for the kiss. 

Ren: "I can't..."

Baekho: "do you want to?"

Ren: "I-I-I can't..."

Baekho: "but do you want to?"

           Their eyes close, as the taste of each other's warm breath causes them to forcibly stop each other's lips from drawing any closer with their hold on each other's faces.

Ren: "please... Don't... Don't make me become this person."

Baekho: "I can't make you do something that you don't want to."

            Unable to fight his urges anymore, Ren motions closer, but Baekho's head shifts to his side. His hand falls from His face and wrap around Ren's body. Holding him tightly in an embrace in order to make the temptation that he was fighting just a bit easier. His chin rests on Baekho's shoulders, as his widened eyes stare back at him from the reflection of the mirrors behind Baekho. 

Baekho: "I will always love you Minki-yah..."

Ren: "thank you... Thank you..."

          His eyes tightly clench shut as he fights back tears knowing full well that he was only seconds away from betraying JR's trust for a single forbidden kiss. His eyes slowly open and he is brought back to the present as he is once again met with his reflection. His own arms raise and he returns the embrace, holding onto Baekho just as tightly.

Baekho: "we'll be okay, I told you that no matter what I'll be here for you. So I'll try harder not to make things weird, I promise."

Ren: "you always know exactly what to say."

Baekho: "that's because I know exactly what you want to hear."

Ren: "I love you Baekho-yah."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter