Ren

Tug of war
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Aron: "okay everybody, it's that time of year again!"

Garbed in a rather thick cable knit sweater, decorated in a multitude of Snowflakes, he steps into the practice studio with a smile that stretches from ear to ear. In his right hand he holds a small notepad, In his left, five small pencils. The other members turn to face him with looks of uneasiness as he tears pages from the pad, handing a single sheet and a pencil to each one of them.

Aron: "so you all know how this works right? -- you each write your name in the paper and fold it into tiny pieces. When you're done you will place them all into --"

As he hands Ren his paper and pencil, he snatches his bright pink wool hat off of his head. Exposing the short blonde hairdo that Ren continues to try and hide. Ren's hands flail about, clasping themselves onto one another and laying flat atop his head.

Aron: "into this hat. Then you each will pick a name out of the hat. After you receive a name, you will officially have three weeks till Christmas to buy a gift."

JR: "we should put a spending limit to the gifts."

Aron: "there will be no spending limit, so whoever picks my name feel free to buy me something very expensive!"

Minhyun: "do we really have to?"

Aron: "yes! -- Baekho wasn't here last Christmas so we didn't do it and we saw how well that turned out."

JR: "yeah, Minki got five gifts and we each got one."

JR playfully bumps his shoulder against Ren's who is seated right beside him on the floor. Baekho staring straight across as the two chuckles under his breath before lowering his attention to his paper and scribbling his name.

Aron: "exactly! This way we are all guaranteed to each get a really thoughtful gift. -- and since Jason will be back for the holidays he asked that we include his name. First name picked from the hat will be picked our manager hyung and he will tell Jason who has to buy a gift for."

Aron makes his rounds collecting each folded piece of paper and stuffing them into the hat. He proceeds to hold its opening tightly before shaking the contents within savagely.

Baekho: "I think that's enough shaking old hyung!"

Aron: "heh -- sorry, I got caught up in the Christmas spirit."

Clutching the hat tightly in his grasp, he surveys the room. Each member shaking their head in embarrassment as they make eye contact with him. He turns to face their manager who is positioned in the back of the room. Aron holds the hat out and their manager steps forth and chooses a name. He raises a thumbs up to him which in turn allows for Aron to turn back to the others.

Aron: "okay! -- next up! None other than our resident baby tiger!"

Baekho sighs softly before raising himself up from his seat.

JR: "the irony of him picking out your name would just be so hilarious."

He whispers to Ren as they both watch Baekho dig into the hat.

Ren: "i hope not, I really don't want a lump of coal this Christmas."

JR laughs softly, as Ren stares intently at Baekho, lowering his hands finally, and resting them on his lap. He continues to stare at him in an attempt to decipher his reaction once he reads the name he's chosen.

Aron: "before you sit down, check if it's you're own name please!"

Minhyun: "yeah, we don't want a repeat of what happened two years ago!"

Baekho: "Aish! -- you guys are never going to let me live that down are you?"

Aron: "only you would pick your own name and then get upset because you forgot to buy yourself a gift."

Baekho shakes his head in shame as he carefully unfolds the piece of paper.

Aron: "so?"

Baekho: "definitely not my name."

Aron: "okay -- so please, have a seat!"

Baekho nervously tucks the paper into his back pocket before turning back to his seat.

Aron: "next up! -- Minhyunnie!"

Ren continues to observe Baekho while leaning in closer to JR once again.

Ren: "I couldn't tell if he was happy or upset about the name he chose."

JR: "yeah, me either. -- and usually it's very easy to read how he's feeling because he's so bad at hiding it."

Ren: "I'm sure he would've been visibly upset though if he got my name. -- right?"

JR: "are things still that bad between you guys? I could've sworn I saw you two speaking last week."

Ren: "where was I when this was happening?"

JR: "yeah -- it was near the bathroom, at the dorm."

Ren: "oh, yeah. Let me try to remember what he said to me -- oh, that's tight. 'We're out of toilet paper'."

JR airy laugh grows louder as Ren turns to face him stone faced and not pleased by his amusement.

JR: "well that's progress! Another two months and he'll be telling you that we're out of toothpaste."

Ren: "has it only been two months?"

Ren lowers his head and shakes it sadly. JR throws his arm around his shoulders and pulls him in closer to himself.

JR: "I was only kidding. Not everyone can be as forgiving as me though Minki. You have to give it more time."

Aron: "next up is our leader-mon! Agumon!"

JR raises his head, Ren still in his hold, he can feel Baekho's eyes on him. Slowly he pulls away then stands himself upright in order to make his way toward Aron. Ren raises his attention, and looks to Baekho who very obviously turns away as to not make any eye contact with him. JR retracts a paper and unfolds it slightly, only enough to gather a peek at a name which is obviously not his own.

Aron: "Choi Ren, you're up next."

His hands push up off of the ground in order to propel him into an upright position. As JR makes his way back to his seat the two pass each other, JR stealthily shooting him a thumbs up while in his view. Ren inhales softly before reaching into his hat, and wriggling his fingers around the two pieces left inside. Between his fingers he grabs a hold of one and pulls it out.

Aron: "alright, now check if it's your own name."

Slowly, he unfolds it and he sighs softly upon reading Aron's name inside. He raises his head, and smiles brightly, before crumbling the paper in his grasp and concealing it from Aron.

Aron: "is it your own name?"

Ren: "no hyung."

Aron: "okay, so now it's my turn!"

Ren casually returns to his position on the ground beside JR, and continues to hold onto his somewhat forced smile.

JR: "you got him, didn't you."

Ren: "we're not suppose to tell."

JR: "fine, fine, fine."

Aron: "okay, the game is done! So happy shopping everyone! And for whoever picked me... My shoe size is 8 1/2!"

They all proceed to laugh as Aron steps out of the practice room in order to get a head start on his shopping. Ren looks around frantically then growls under his breath, as he runs his hands through his frazzled hair.

JR: "he stole your hat!"

Ren: "ugh..."

JR: "don't worry, I'll go get it."

He excuses himself before rushing out of the room in order to catch up to him. Slowly, Ren makes his way back up to his feet. He watches as Baekho steps out of the room without a single word. The longing in Ren's eyes forces him to frown.

Minhyun: "Where'd you put your paper?"

He says from behind as he makes his way toward Ren.

Ren: "it's right here -- in my hand."

Ren holds out his hand, with the crumpled sheet of paper within it. Minhyun nods politely while reaching into his pocket and pulling out the piece he had chosen. He snatches the one in Ren's hand and replaces it with the one he chose.

Ren: "Yah!"

Minhyun steps forward, motioning away from Ren and toward the practice rooms exit.

Minhyun: "thank me later."

Ren: "wait -- "

He begins to step forward, while unraveling the piece of paper now neatly folded in his hand. Suddenly he comes to a stop, whilst Minhyun stands in the doorway.

Ren: "Minhyun..."

Minhyun: "nuh uh -- you can call me Cupid."

The door shuts behind him, and Ren stands there silently holding the piece of paper in his hand which reads "Baekho". He balls his hand into a tightly wound fist, and his look of worry slowly shifts. The end of his lips begin to curve and a smile grows in its place. He shakes off his nerves before he himself heads toward the exit.
JR rushes forth out of the buildings entrance, and his head darts in every which possible direction. His eyes widen as he then spots Ren's brightly colored hat in a small crowd of people crossing the opposing street. While charging in the same direction, his speed begins to ween as he notices Aron has come to a complete stop in front of an appliance store window. Eventually, he manages to catch up to him, standing by his side as the two then watch a news report which has to do with the current events of Los Angeles.

JR: "homesick hyung?"

Aron: "it just fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter