Chapter 34

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

"Forgive me, Soojung, for taking so long." Jessica pressed small kisses to Krystal's lips and pressed her forehead against hers. She held Krystal's face in her hands trying to invisibly burn this moment into their memories forever.

"I'm sorry I ignored you," Krystal said. "I knew you were trying...it-it was just hard to forget..." She trailed off nervously and turned her face down to the ground where they were sitting. "I was bad too, I guess."

"You were afraid," Jessica reasoned, but she sighed. "It was my fault."

The younger girl slowly leaned forward and rubbed her cheek against Jessica's. The older sibling was struck by surprise but she let it pass, and she pressed back, embracing the younger girl in her arms.

Soft sobs racked the younger girl's body as the weight of the past began to lift off both girls' shoulders. 

Jessica didn't try to stop her this time. She pressed a hand against the back of her sister's head, pushing her face into her shoulder, while she kept her other arm around her shoulders. 

"I won't make you wait any longer, Soojung," Jessica murmured. "I will always be there for you from now on."

"I'll be on your side," Jessica continued as she her head. "You don't have to be afraid anymore. There is no need to keeping hiding. Your home is here." She stared up into the dark night sky. "You're safe now. You won't be hurt again."

 

A few days passed quite quickly. The tension between the sisters was dying down, although Krystal was still a bit timid every now and then. Regardless, the two were getting along as they slowly grew closer. Krystal seemed to have become more comfortable with Jessica.

It was like having a puppy--except a more mature puppy. Minus the energetic playfulness.

Jessica had agreed to let Taeyeon come over for a few hours to teach Krystal and take her out to the streets and help her 'see' it so that she'd be able to get around on her own. Since Taeyeon had taken care of Krystal for the two weeks at that crazy cult school, Jessica decided that it was safe for them to be alone while she was out. Most times, she'd be working at the coffee shop or working on something for university, but sometimes she was home. On those days, she'd hide out in her room, working on her laptop while Taeyeon was helping Krystal.

After Taeyeon left, they would go out to sit on the balcony together. It was still awkward between them so it was usually silent. There wasn't much to say, but it seemed that Krystal didn't mind at all. 

"Tell me what it's like," Krystal asked everytime.

And Jessica would attempt to describe it for her, every time seeming to differ from the last. She had thought it would become boring and a pain because she didn't think she would be good at descriptive language. She also thought it would be the same every time, but it wasn't. And Krystal seemed to like it though she could not see it herself.

At night, Krystal would willingly join her in the bed, sometimes pressing close against Jessica, but other times staying on the far edge of the bed. Jessica would pull her closer and cuddle her.

In the morning, somtimes they would still be snuggled together, but sometimes Jessica would wake up to find Krystal away from her.

Jessica was slightly disappointed, but she figured it would have been asking too much since they just made up. Of course Krystal would still be a bit cautious around her.

But it was alright. Jessica took care of her and Krystal followed her.

-----------

"Good," Taeyeon praised Krystal, who had finished reading a sentence written in Braille. 

Taeyeon had been coming over for some time now, and she was surprised to find how quickly Krystal was picking up this new language. Of course, they were starting simple, since Krystal was still learning to memorize the feeling of the dots of the alphabet. 

And luckily, Krystal's bruises were not as evident as before.

Jessica watched them from her bedroom doorway as they continued working. It was fortunate--lucky, even--that Taeyeon was willing to offer her help for free. And it seemed that the two had taken to each other like honey to a bee. 

She might have been slightly jealous, but she realized that it was better to have someone that Krystal was comfortable with and knew rather than finding someone else.

And Taeyeon wasn't a bad person either. She was nice, respectable, and she seemed to be able to tell Jessica's concern about Krystal while she was out. Taeyeon found it sweet, but she didn't say so to Jessica. She was sure that Jessica was nice too, but she didn't want to cause her to have any doubts her staying alone with the younger girl.

Jessica began to think back to the tense and awkward beginning whatwith meeting Krystal again. It seemed like a long time--it was actually about a month ago. How things change...

Did Krystal's loss of vision have to be the trigger for Jessica to see what she'd been missing for so long?

Did Jessica have to go through the difficulty to find her heart in order to realize her stupidity and selfishness?

And yet...all that suffering and battling had come to this.

Jessica's heart was starting to pick up, and she retreated to her bedroom to calm down before Taeyeon was finished for the day. It would be a bit creepy for them to find that Jessica was watching them.

"She's doing great," Taeyeon said later as they walked her out the door. 

"Thanks," Jessica said.

Taeyeon smiled at her her eyes bright and shining. "No problem." She pat Krystal's shoulder. "See you later, Krystal."

"See you, Taeyeon-unnie."

Jessica stepped forward and held an envelope out to her.

"What's this?" Taeyeon turned it over like it was a mysterious artifact. But she knew what it was: money. "I-I don't need this," she spluttered. "I told you I'd do it free."

"It's my thanks to you," Jessica replied. "Thanks, Taeyeon, for everything."

Taeyeon didn't want to argue so she thanked her and respectfully bid her goodbye.

Once she left, the two sisters were left alone in the apartment. It was late afternoon. Krystal sauntered to the sofa, which she had created so many memories with ever since she'd arrived. 

Jessica watched her before going to join her. It was silent as she gazed at the younger girl. She slowly reached her hand to intertwine her fingers with Krystal's. 

"Soojung, let's go somewhere."

--------------

"Where are we going?" Krystal asked warily as Jessica led her to the subway station.

"You'll see," Jessica replied. She slid her card through the scanner before the gate opened for them to enter. "We're going to Incheon."

A subway was returning, its wheels scraping the tracks. Krystal held on tighter to Jessica as she took in the surroundings through the noises. "W-why are we here?"

Jessica rubbed Krystal's back to relieve her tension. Did Krystal not remember this was the subway to Incheon? Maybe it had been a while since she'd last gone--after all, that letter was a few years ago. 

They waited for the subway in the underground railway. The crowd of people disappeared as time carried on. 

The transport finally arrived and they entered the doors into the subway. There was quite a bit of people, but they found two seats together. Krystal held onto Jessica's hand the whole ride. Jessica gently rubbed her skin with her thumb to calm her down.

Krystal heard the young people talking aloud, having fun and enjoying themselves. She heard someone's loud music blaring from headphones somewhere away from where she was. Someone was talking bad to somebody on their phone because he was grumped up about work today. Someone was snoring aloud in their sleep. She heard the crinkling of paper from a newspaper that someone was reading--or was it a book?

Once they got off at their stop, Jessica began taking her somewhere.

"Where are we?" Krystal asked.

She was disconcerted when Jessica didn't answer, and she was forced to follow her sister down the dark space only she could see.

Krystal didn't know how they were walking, but the air was getting cooler. Where the heck were they going this evening?

Jessica stopped and Krystal crashed into her shoulder.

Krystal shook her head to recover form the shock. 

The sound of the ocean met her ears, and tingles of excitement prickled down her spine.

Krystal's fingers slipped from Jessica's grasp as she stepped toward the railing dividing them from the water. Jessica watched her, suddenly feeling her heart yearn for the younger girl. "Soojung," she said under her breath, the wind carrying her voice away so that no one else could hear.

Jessica closed the space between them, and she slowly wrapped her arms around Krystal. She buried her nose in Krystal's hair and leaned her cheek against the back of Krystal's head. 

Krystal held onto Jessica's arm with one hand. "Tell me what you see...please."

Jessica scanned the horizon, eyes taking in the scenery of the ocean and the sky that was starting to color as the night slowly began to arrive. She rubbed the top of Krystal's head with the fingers of one hand. "It's...it's beautiful," she said. And she went on to describe it for her. Blue, small tremors rippling through the water, a sailboat cutting through the waters, the sky tinging pink and orange becoming reflected in the water as the day was marking its departure; and wisps of clouds floating in the blue sky, mountains in the far distance, birds of the sea flying over the water or swimming in its watery caress...

It was just as Krystal remembered. She read it...

They were here...Incheon.

She pressed back against her sister, pressing her head under Jessica's chin. Jessica cupped her cheek and closed her eyes as she enjoyed the close contact. 

"Thanks for taking me here," Krystal said.

"I read your letter," Jessica replied. She rubbed Krystal's cheek with her thumb. "I'm so sorry..."

Krystal turned around towards Jessica. "It's ok, Unnie. You don't have to be sorry anymore."

"I know...but I can't help it. I was a bad sister..."

Krystal cupped her sister's cheeks in her hands and felt along her face with her fingers. Jessica's heart raced a couple paces faster as Krystal's fingers traveled down the bridge of her nose to her lips.

She couldn't contain herself any longer. She took Krystal's face in her hands and captured her lips, not caring that they were in public. Luckily, no one was around and the sky was getting darker with every passing minute. 

Krystal took a step back, but Jessica followed, and pulled her closer. The younger girl was surprised that Jessica had the confidence to kiss her outside where other people could potentially see them. Krystal felt like her heart was going to break out of her chest. She put her hands on Jessica's shoulders trying to push her off because she was nervous and embarrassed.

Jessica pulled away, her lips still hovering above Krystal's. She looked into Krystal's sightless eyes. "I'll be your eyes, Soojung," she said softly, her breath tickling Krystal's lips.

Krystal's heart beat a million times faster. She shivered with anticipation when Jessica her cheek with the back of her hand.

"I'll look after you," Jessica continued. She pressed her lips between Krystal's eyes. "You have my whole heart, Soojung."

Krystal felt her cheeks burning and she wrapped her arms around Jessica's waist. She leaned her head against Jessica's shoulder, feeling secure in Jessica's embrace. Jessica kissed the top of her head and lay her head against Krystal's. 

"Unnie."

"Hm?" Jessica looked at her sister, whose sightless eyes were looking at her.

Krystal put one hand on Jessica's cheek, thumb touching the corner of her lips, and she pressed her lips quickly against Jessica's.

"Soojung...are you ok with this?" Jessica asked cautiously. She didn't want the younger girl to let them kiss like this out of fear. "If you're not..." she trailed off.

Krystal gulped nervously. "Is--is it ok with you?" she stammered.

"People might think it's wierd," Jessica reasoned. 

"That's true..." Krystal's hands slowly fell to her sides, her right hand gripping the white cane so hard her knuckles turned white. 

Jessica felt prickles of excitement run down her spine. Was Krystal disappointed? Did she think Jessica was going to make this stop? Did that mean Krystal wanted her in the same way she wanted her?

But what she'd said was right. This was kind of--no, this wasn't right. What were they going to do? 

"But...my heart is telling me something else," Jessica continued. "I love you...more than we're allowed to..." She swallowed. "You mean the whole world to me, and...I feel like I'm empty when you're not around--like there's something missing. You...you've given me a new heart, Soojung."

Krystal listened silently. They'd already gone over this before, but they hadn't really had a talk about this new relationship. Except, that last revelation was making adrenaline run all through the younger girl's body.

"Don't let me love you like this because you're afraid of me," Jessica told her. "I don't want to make you do anything you don't want to."

Krystal didn't know what to think, or what to say. "Well..." she started to say.

Jessica held both of Krystal's hands in hers. "I'm not sorry about what my heart is telling me to do. I won't ignore it." Krystal heard her breathe out of her nose heavily. "D-do you feel the same way...about me?"

Krystal felt a big ice cold anvil smash her chest. This was...much different than when they were talking on the balcony. Was Jessica now asking her to be...her lover?

"Um..." refused to work. She snatched her hands away, and backed away until her back hit the railing. She squeaked in surprise almost tripping on herself. 

Her heart was pushing blood through her veins so fast, she was beginning to fill dizzy. She could hear her heart beating in her ears.

"Soojung," Jessica said. She steadied her sister and led her to the bench. "If you don't...then, it's ok. I just wanted to--"

Krystal couldn't talk. and mouth had gone so dry, and she couldn't find her voice.

"--to make sure that we were on the same page." Jessica cleared . "We're still sisters anyway," she mumbled at the end.

"Unnie," Krystal managed to say after a lot of mustering up of courage. "We are on the same page." She felt a blush coming on and she scratched her head. "I love you too..." she said very quietly.

Krystal swallowed as she tried to think of the right words to say. "You're nice..." she started weakly. "Um...Sometimes you're mean, but you can be really caring..." Gosh, where the heck was she getting all this crap? Krystal winced inwardly. Dammit! Why'd I say that? "I mean..."

"Tell me the part about being really caring," Jessica interrupted and kissed her the tip of her nose.

The younger girl's brain stopped working, as did her whole body. felt floppy and she found herself unable to speak again. "You take care of me," she offered weakly again. "Even though I'm just another burden--"

"Don't ever say that!" Jessica spat. "You are not a burden, Soojung!"

Krystal was surprised by Jessica's snappiness. But Jessica seemed apologetic because she pulled the girl into her embrace and rubbed her back.

"Unnie," Krystal said. "I don't know how to say this..." She let Jessica's warmth surround her. "I know what you mean now--what you said in the hospital about that string attaching your heart to mine." She held on to her sister's arm. "I don't want to be separated from you."

"I always loved you," Krystal continued. "That's why I kept bothering you..."

"I know," Jessica said softly. 

"But I gave up."

Jessica's heart was breaking again. She nuzzled Krystal's cheek, her eyes shut tight. "Soojung, I don't know how else to express how much I regret everything I did to you, especially when I came home drunk." She faltered. "I'm sorry..."

Krystal lay her head on Jessica's shoulder and embraced her. "I'm sorry things couldn't have been different," Krystal said.

Jessica looked up at the sky. It was still lit somewhat, but it was getting dark quickly now that the sun was gone.

"The past doesn't matter anymore," Jessica said. "We'll build a new life. You and I." She her head gently. "I love you so very much." She kissed her forehead.

"S-so are we...are we...something?" Krystal asked nervously. 

"Huh?" Jessica giggled, amused at the question. "What do you mean?" She knew what Krystal meant, but the girl was so cute when she was flustered.

Krystal's cheeks burned and she covered her face with her hands. "I don't know!" she said quickly, and began to move away.

Jessica held Krystal's hand and kissed the back of her hand. Krystal's heart was pounding in her chest again. She had already made the confession before, but everytime she thought about this, it made her feel like a puppy getting a treat.

"Gosh, you're so confusing and frustrating," Jessica pretended to be annoyed.

Krystal cringed. "S-sorry!" she spluttered messily. Jessica's outburst had frightened her. "I'm--I'm in love...with you--"

Jessica smiled at Krystal's flustered state. "But is it what you really want?" Her voice softened.

"Unnie, you walk...in my dreams," Krystal confessed nervously. I sound so corny... She was so nervous, tears formed in her eyes. She shook her head to sober herself. "I'm so stupid," she mumbled.

"Oh? Then that means we're both stupid."

"What?" Krystal cried. "That doesn't even make sense!"

"I'm selfish, you're selfish. If you're stupid, then that makes me stupid too," Jessica replied with the strange reasoning. She looked around to be sure no one was around.

"What the...?" Krystal trailed in confusion. 

Jessica ignored her and kissed her temple. "We can be stupid together."

"That sounds awful," Krystal mumbled, with slight humor in her tone.

"Stay still, stupid,"  Jessica said playfully, and captured her lips with her own. The younger girl put a hand on Jessica's neck as Jessica's lips lovingly caressed her own. She began to respond to the kiss and pressed back against Jessica, wanting more of her sister's love.

Jessica on Krystal's upper lip before shortly pulling away to tuck back the hair that had gotten in the way due to the soft wind. She claimed Krystal's lips again, smiling behind the kiss as she realized how strange love can be.

Iron chains broke apart, giving way to final complete freedom of their hearts. 

Home. You're home, Soojung, a small voice was saying in the back of Krystal's mind as she felt Jessica's hand tangle in her dark locks.

-------------

(California)

Uncle spun in his swivel chair as he waited for his visitor to arrive. He sniggered nastily and got up to pour himself a drink. "This will be my killer plan yet."

You see, he wanted to find out what really happened to Jessica's father's (Mr. Jung) other daughter--the one he had never actually seen before. She probably wasn't much anyway, but he was really curious.

Originally, he was gonna get some crazy identity fisher to find out for him, but he decided not to make things so complicated. So, he was going to make a deal with Jessica's father. 

It would be more accurate to say Uncle was going to blackmail him. 

The door opened and Uncle grinned at the sight of the sorry man again. "Well, hello, brother," he said.

"What do you want?" Jessica's father demanded.

Uncle smiled so pleasantly, it wasn't pleasant at all. "I'm so glad to see you too." He stood up with his glass in hand. "Well...I want to strike up a deal with you."

Father grumbled. "We already went over this. You take the credit, and I'm outta here."

"No, no!" Uncle cried. "I have come up with another proposition...one that I'm sure you'll agree to willingly." He leaned on the bookshelf and sipped his drink. "You see, our Jessica has been hiding for some time. Hell, who knew how long it took for us to get her number! Anyway, I don't know why she doesn't want us to know her whereabouts in that little Asia town."

"So? If she wants her privacy then let her have it. Besides, she can always come visit," Father retorted.

Uncle smirked. "Oh? So she's hiding something, eh?"

Yes. Krystal. Honestly, Jessica's father had no idea what exactly Jessica had done with Krystal. It seemed that she was still with Jessica based on the way Jessica had spoken to him at the airport all that time ago. Or maybe it was a bluff and she actually put her somewhere else.

Just leave us alone. She'll be safe with me, Jessica's voice echoed in his mind.

"Look, she's 22 already. Give her a break," Father said. "She's an adult already."

"Ah, but she's also an important asset to my new branch in Seoul. Doesn't that sound good? Director Jessica Jung---or Creative Director Jessica Jung." He grinned craftily. "Yes, it will all turn out well...but unfortunately, she has declined the offer." He put down his drink. "But I'll get her somehow."

Father looked at him incredulously. "What the hell...?"

"Tell me...what exactly have you done to the other little scrap?" Uncle asked silkily scary. "I know you, brother. You wouldn't just dump her away...No. No. That's why you gave me Jessica because you knew I'd give her the adequate necessities, so that you could care for the other one." He leaned forward, dark eyes laser burning the other man. "You couldn't have abandoned her...you wouldn't. So where have you left her, hm?"

"What use is she to you?" Father growled. "She's ing blind, man! What do you want?"

Uncle's eyes widened but then his face broke into the world's ugliest smile. "Blind you say? And how do you know this?"

Jessica's father gulped nervously. Oh ! He'd practically given it away!

"Look, I gave you Jess. That's that. I'm done with your deals."

"But she's still your daughter. I can make or break her. You tell me the whereabouts of your other daughter, and I assure you the safety of your family." He paused. "Why don't you tell me Jessica's address? I'm sure you know it."

"I don't."

Jessica's father began to head to the door. "There's nothing of importance that you'll find in Krystal."

Uncle laughed maniacally. "Of course! She's blind! What good is she? She'll be better off in a whorehouse! HAHAHA!" 

The door slammed and one of the picture frames fell to the floor, shattering upon impact. Uncle sat down in his chair and put his feet up on his desk. He leaned his head back with hands behind his head. "Ahhh! What a good life it is..." 

"Wait a minute..." he muttered. "He's been here in California....He spoke with Jess when she was here a couple weeks ago." His eyes brightened crazily. "But how would Jess know unless...unless she's been seeing that little puppy..." He grinned maniacally. "Looks like I found the X on the treasure map, baby!" 

Uncle punched his fist on his desk. "We can't be completely sure so I'll have to see for myself..." He began to dial a number of one of his buddies. "Hey...I need you to find out information..."

-----------

*Krystal POV*

The subway sounded less empty than before. It was quiet, and only the sound of the wheels on the tracks filled the silence. 

I still cannot believe we did that in public. At least no one was there...or so Jessica said. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have kissed me if we weren't alone.

Anyway, we were sitting --the two off us--and I was leaning my head against her shoulder, on the brink of dozing off until I heard a voice ring in the silence.

"Hey, cutie." It was a male.

My sister didn't say anything, but the guy was persisting. "This your girlfriend? Oh she's blind."

"Get lost," Jessica said tartly. 

He let out a huff. "Why would you date a blind girl?" And he stomped off. "You must be desperate."

That made me feel a little uncomfortable. Why would Jessica choose me over someone who could be more useful than I? Someone with all thier body parts and able to do anything a normal person could--things I couldn't do.

By the time we got home, I was itching to ask my sister why she didn't just say I was her sister.

"Because," Jessica replied. 

I waited for her to finish but she never continued. "Because what?" I asked her.

"What does it matter?" she asked. "We don't even know the guy."

I rubbed my neck nervously. Why didn't she correct him that we were sisters?

She pulled me into an embrace and kisses my cheek. Then, she pushed me onto the sofa. "Go get changed." I heard her rummaging in my box for my pajamas. "We're gonna have to get you new clothes. You've got tears in some of them."

"It's...it's the fashion these days...isn't it?" I pointed out.

Jessica chuckled. "No, dummy."

She dumped my pajamas on me and pushed me into the bathroom.

After getting ready to turn in for the night, I found myself thinking about how Jessica's friends might feel about our relationship now.

Especially because we're sisters and because we're six years apart.

We were lying side by side, shoulder's touching. It was really quiet, save for the chirping of night animals or insects calling to each other outside. 

I yawned and my side facing away from my sister. 

After talking this evening, I began to wonder what the guy on the subway was wondering. Jessica had already confessed to me twice, but why would she choose a blind girl...over anyone other person she could possible like? And her own sister?

Don't get me wrong. I'm really happy and relieved that she returns my feelings too, but what if it's just a distraction?...maybe I'm just a substitute. Maybe she's just confused.

Hah. Maybe I'm confused.

How could I find myself attracted to her? She was willing to accept it, and I thought I was too, but now...I don't know...

I about to fall asleep on that last thought when I felt Jessica's arms around me. I heard a contented sigh and felt her head on my shoulder. 

"Unnie?" I said tentatively. "W-why do you choose a blind girl over anyone else?"

"I told you already. My love for you far exceeds what any ordinary couple could have." She pulled my shoulder so that I was lying on my back. "Your being blind doesn't determine my love for you." She seemed to hesitate. "Even Fany was attracted to you!"

Oh right. And Sulli...

"I love you for who you are, Soojung. Not what," Jessica continued. "You're sweet, and kind and caring, and so...selfless..." She pressed a kiss to my cheek. "And pretty."

WHAT?! I immediately flushed red. I was so glad it was dark. At least she wouldn't see my blushing. "Y-you're prettier," I told her, still flustered.

"The point is." Her voice was starting to sound nervous. "You're...you're amazing. You've shown me things no one else could have. You've opened my eyes for me...opened my heart..." she faltered. "Soojung, I don't want to be away from you ever. I feel like...a piece of my heart has been stripped away completely, but when you're here, with me, I'm not broken anymore."

"You fill up my emptiness," Jessica finished. "I am happier with you on my side."

That made my mind fall back to when she came home drunk and thought I was on a date with Tiffany-unnie.

"So were you jealous?" I chanced to ask. "When Tiffany-unnie asked me to her planning thing?"

It was silent.

"Maybe a little..." she mumbled.

"I prefer you more," I told her earnestly.

She chuckled and my hair. "I know you do, Soojung."

"So now what?" I asked. 

I think that caught her off guard because she seemed to stumble over her words. "Uh...well, I...don't know. I guess we just act normal."

"How will we tell everyone else?" I asked timidly.

She sighed and was silent for a bit.

"We'll worry about that later," she replied. "Go to sleep, Soojung." 

She caressed my cheek and then pressed a kiss to my lips. I hadn't anticipated it, and my heart was already off to the races. "And just because you're blind doesn't make you any lesser than anyone else, my love. I love you just the way you are." Her arms slipped away from around me as she to her back. "It's the heart that counts."

That made me blush again.

I snuggled closer to Jessica and lay my head on her shoulder. She began to caress my head in soft rhythmic until she fell asleep with her hand resting on the top of my head limply.

Isn't it funny how things can change with time? How was I able to get this close to Jessica Jung? 

Our kiss at Incheon replayed in my mind. Just thinking about it still made my lips tingle and my heart tremble with excitement.

I suddenly felt a small pang of sadness strike my chest. 

If I could see again...If I could see my sister again...to experience everything to the fullest with her...