Chapter 27

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Jessica POV*

"Jess, we're sorry you're leaving so soon!" Aunt exclaimed as the chef brought out the food to the table for the early dinner. She nudged Uncle. "Who cares about the business? Let's just enjoy this last day with our darling neice? Who knows when she's coming back?" Aunt eyed me as if expecting me to tell them I'd be back. "And you've never told us the address of where you're living."

I had purposefully kept my whereabouts a secret from them. I just let it pass. "It's a small place. There's no room for more than one person." I knew that if it didn't sound appealing to them, they were sure to stay away.

Uncle was still upset from the day Key and his father met up with us. We had returned to them in a slightly better mood than when we first met so they instantly assumed we had a mutual attraction towards each other. They were wrong though. When we rejoined them, they gave us a summary of what they were expecting in the next year the new branch was to open. Uncle sure had a lot of ambitious plans, and we ended up bursting their bubble; but Uncle didn't seem the least bit unhappy about his loss with Key's father.

Uncle wasn't unhappy about the broken partnership. He was mad at me because I didn't want to join the company.

I was mad at him too, and disgusted. I was so glad I was going back home tonight. I wanted nothing more than to get out of this crap place, and hide out in my apartment. Of course, I was also anxious to see my sister again. I couldn't get her out of my mind the whole stay.

--(Flashback)--

"So this will probably come as a surprise, Jess," Uncle said. "But Key here is very interested in you." He and the CEO exchanged a glance as if they had the game in their favor. "Don't you want a handsome man like him to take care of you? It would profit you well--the both of you, and all of us together." He grinned. "It would be financially beneficial if you joined forces rather than staying on your own."

I was pretty sure he meant that it was going to benefit him and the CEO.

My eyes traveled over them and finally at Key, who smirked. "Actually, father," Key said. "I think there's a bit of a problem."

The CEO looked at him with instant concern. "What is it? Isn't Jessica more to your liking?"

It took everything I had not to make a face of disgust. 

Key sneered. "We can't go through with the operation."

"WHAT?!" Uncle and Key's father cried simultaneously.

"Sorry, father," Key said. "But you can't make me marry her. I am a man of honor, and I will not marry anyone solely for economic reasons--and especially not to help you." He leaned his elbow on the table. "The marriage is off."

The CEO spluttered. "But how? I find you a very beautiful woman, and you just throw away your only opportunity like this!" 

Key shrugged. "I'm gay, father. You can't control that. I'm in love with a boy, and you cannot stop me." He stood up and acknowledged us with a nod. "Nice meeting you all. Good bye."

The CEO was huffing and puffing with anger as he watched Key exit the mansion. Uncle looked pleased to have come upon this little spectacle.

"Well, I guess our partnership is off then too," Uncle said nonchalantly. "A pity. I was looking forward to working with you. Guess I'll be handing Jess off to someone else."

The CEO glared at Uncle. "I'm more powerful than you are, you wench!" he snarled. "But my business with you is done. I have wasted enough of my precious time here."

"Oh, but are we still opening the branch?" Uncle called silky calm as the CEO stalked away.

"You've already given me a fair share of money," the CEO replied. "Keep the branch. Perhaps we will see a better opportunity to work together in the future."

"My thanks to you, sir."

As soon as they left, Uncle grinned at me crazily. "Good work, Jess. You got me out of that."

"Huh?" What the heck had he meant by that?

"If I had to work with him, I'd have to give him more than half my share of the stock. I can't do that," he explained. "I've gotta beat him to the top." He crumbled the papers in his hands. "And thanks to you, we've already made our first step. I've already opened up other branches in other parts of California. That new branch will raise our annual gross income, ultimately increasing our stocks to an unpredictable number." He was shaking and grinning maniacally with excitement. "This will be beautiful...your father will finally learn his place, and he will finally realize that his duty is to grovel at the feet of the wealthy! And I will be acknowledged by the whole world! HAHA!"

That sounded awful. I didn't even help him on purpose.

But of course, I was going to have to tell him that I wanted no part in this.

"Jess, I will keep my promise to make you great. Together, we can--"

"I'm sorry," I cut in firmly. I didn't want to listen to his sugar-coated speech about his stupid business. "But I can't."

"What?" he cried in disbelief. "Why? This is all we've been working for, Jess! Me and you! That was the plan! We'll take over the stock market--"

"Maybe in yours," I retorted. "But not in mine. There was no promise that involved us working together--or rather me working under you. I have no intention to work with you in any form or manner. The deal was you fund my education while father gave you all the credit, and that's good enough."

Uncle gaped at me, but then it turned into a slow sly smile. "So I see...you have learned the truth from your poor old father," he said snidely. "But I assure you that nothing in life is constant. Everything changes, just as the stock market changes. Therefore, I have a right to change the deal. You see, my dear, your father is powerless. He cannot do anything to help you. You have been tied to us with the red string of fate." He sneered. "I will not let you escape so easily."

"Jess," he paced behind my chair. "Jess...don't let the truth take away this golden opportunity from you." He placed his hands on my shoulders. "I don't want to see you end up like your father and sister. A woman like you with so much potential would be a waste. I can make you into the world's idol. You can have your revenge on your father." His fingers slowly dug into my shoulder as if her were trying to inject his words into my veins.

I tensed at his touch. My mind was racing as I tried to think. How could I end this? He was right about one thing. No one could help me escape his grasp. I was on my own on this one. Uncle wasn't as powerful as Key's father, but he was good enough to destroy anyone with just a point of his finger.

"You poor girl," Uncle was purring into my ear. "You are lost. You have nobody. Your father left you with me, and now you have no choice but to listen to what I tell you." He rubbed my shoulders with his hands and I shivered involuntarily. "If you succumb to me, I will give you all that you could have wanted. Security, money, the life you couldn't have had with your father..."

He kept blabbing, but I instantly blanked. What did I want? 

Krystal entered my mind.

Soojung...there was nothing in the world I wanted more than to have her by my side; and that was something that he could not and would not give me. Nobody could.

"...so what do you say, hm?" he purred again. "Won't you help your Uncle by paying back what you owe him? Of course, there's still your sister to think about. Whatever has happened to her will be beyond our control, but I assure you that once we've found her we can erase her from the picture--her and your father. They will scar our image. Wouldn't you rather get rid of them?"

"E-erase her?" I echoed with fear. What did he have in mind?

"Yes," he said silkily. "I will do whatever it takes to annihilate them."

I froze as his hands cupped the sides of my neck. "Don't you see? I am your gift from heaven. I have the power to save you from the fate the rest of your family will face." He sniggered. "I assure you it is no bother to me. I can get rid of them for you." He pressed the palms of his hands against my neck. "Too bad God wasted his breath on them."

My hand had tightened on the seat of the chair. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My blood boiled with rage. I can't let him get his hands on Krystal. I couldn't.

I hit his nose with the back of my hand sharply. He loosened his grip on me and I immediately hopped out of the chair. I glared at him as he held his bloody nose in his dirty fingers. "Don't talk about them like that," I snarled. "I'm not working with a sleaze like you!" 

Normally, I wouldn't have talked like that. That could really get someone into trouble, but I was so mad I didn't care. 

He smiled with fake kindness. "You don't mean that, sweetheart." He sneered nastily. "I never forgot those days you cried for your father. You thought we didn't know. Slowly, you learned to hide it and keep your sadness at bay, but you were lost. You were weak. You relied on your friends for support when you should have been seeking family." He held his hand out for me to take. "That is why you should rely on me for help. I will lead you in the right path."

I curled my lip at him. "I don't need your help. I don't want your help."  I started to back out of the room. "I am serious. I don't want any part of your business."

"I'll give you time to think, darling. How does a few more months sound?"

"The answer is no," I said firmly.

"Hah!" he guffawed. "Jess, you and I both know that business brings you only the best. You know what I mean."

"Money?" I chanced a guess, and he grinned. But I shook my head and fixed him with an icy cold glare. "Sure, it does, but it can't give you everything. You're rich, but you're an idiot," I snarled. "Nothing you say can bring me what I want the most. Nobody can do that for me."

His eyes flashed. "I am not an idiot! There will be respect in this house!" he howled. "You will obey me!"

I suddenly understood where Key was coming from. If Uncle was talking about Krystal and father like this, then there was no wonder Key thought I was such a . Uncle was talking about them as if they meant nothing to me.

"Respect?" I questioned with mock surprise. "How can you ask for respect if you don't even know what it is?" I backed away. "I'm done with your crap, Uncle. Father and I appreciate your help in the past, but I'm finished here. The deal is over." I pushed the door open to leave the place.

"Whatever, Jess!" he shrieked as I left. "The choice is yours! I am still giving you time to reconsider, but mark my words! I will do whatever it takes to get what I want! I am not giving up!"

--(End Flashback)--

"Jess is reconsidering her decision," Uncle said. 

Auntie smiled. "I'm glad." And then she went on to talk about something that happened at the jockey club earlier today.

Honestly, I wasn't hungry. I just wanted to leave.

Was it a big mistake to aggravate Uncle like that? I hadn't forgotten his last threat. I was afraid of the things he could do to me or to anybody. He was crafty, cunning, cold-hearted, and selfish with a big fat ego. He could do anything he wanted.

I was afraid for Krystal. I didn't want her to get mixed up in all of this. Father was right, and I knew it for a fact that Uncle was unpredictably malevolent.

---------------------------------------

*Krystal POV*

I had lost track of time sometime in the first week. I was pretty sure it was somewhat in the middle of the program if not starting to near the end, which I was desperately hoping for.

I just wanted to get out of here.

Something felt strange about this place. Everyone was supposed to be a big family, but I couldn't seem to feel like I was a member of this 'family'. I don't think I really wanted to be a part of it.

The only normal person was Taeyeon-unnie and that's who I spent most of my time with.

Not that the other students weren't normal, but I just didn't feel so comfortable with them. Plus, a lot of them were asking me if I were staying.

Why would I stay? I don't even want to stay another week! 

I was sitting with Taeyeon at lunch again today, and she was talking to me about her high school years in Busan. I felt really bad about this, but I wasn't exactly listening. It wasn't only today, but often times, I found myself wondering what Jessica was doing. Sometimes, I even wondered if she had forgotten about me and maybe she was using this school as an excuse to get away.

Well, I couldn't blame her if that was the reason why anyway. 

But I didn't want to believe it. I wanted to believe her when she said she'd be back for me.

"Oh, hi, Victoria," Taeyeon suddenly said. "Hey, Sulli."

"Hi," a new voice said. "This is Krystal?"

"Um, yes. Krystal this is Victoria, the director as you already know," Taeyeon said to me, "And Victoria this is Krystal."

"A pleasure to meet you. I help Sulli around," the director said. "May I shake hands with you?"

I nodded and held my hand out for her to shake. "nice to meet you too."

I was trying to finish eating, but Victoria started asking me questions. "So, you're friends with Amber?" she said.

"Yeah. We go to school together," I replied.

"Fun," she said. "I met your sister. She's very beautiful by the way."

"O-oh...thanks," I said and I started to feel my cheeks warm.

"You're pretty too," Victoria said. "You two don't look very alike though."

I didn't say anything. The landlady of my old home said that last time.

"Your sister must be pretty busy," Victoria said. "You know with you and having her own life."

"Uh...I guess," I said.

"Have you considered enrolling for the school year?" she asked.

I hesitated. "Not really..."

"I think you should," she said. "It would give the both of you space and it would definitely be more convenient for your sister. I understand she's still in school and working a part time job."

Space? What did that mean?!

"And you've already made friends here who are welcoming you with open arms like Sulli," Victoria pressed on. "This place is perfect for your condition and you will have the guidance you need."

I was feeling kind of overwhelmed at the moment. I felt like they were trying really hard to convince me to enroll, but why? Didn't I have a choice?

"I'll think about it," I replied.

"Good," she said.

I finally finished my food, but I was feeling kind of queasy after the conversation. Were they implying that I was going to be a huge burden to my sister?

After lunch, Taeyeon took me on a trip to one of her friends living in Hongcheon. I was pretty sure the day's schedule wasn't over yet, but she somehow got us out.

"Wait, is this even allowed?" I asked as we walked down a street.

"It's ok, Krystal. He trains service dogs. I'm taking you there personally because he's a good friend of mine." She held my hand and tugged lightly. "Careful. There's a step up."

Climbing stairs used to be a problem, but it was getting easier...when someone was there to help that is. The white stick was good, but it really helped to have someone with me.

"Your'e not gonna get in trouble right?" I asked.

"Nope. Don't worry about a thing."

I really hoped so.

---------------------

*Jessica POV*

"See you soon, Jessica," the y new old chauffeur bowed and left me outside the entrance of the airport with my luggage. "I will await your return to serve you."

"Don't bother," I said tartly. "Thanks anyway."

He bowed before returning to his car and driving away. I watched the car disappear down the drive and I sighed heavily. It was 8PM and my flight was scheduled to leave in a few hours. I was tired, but I couldn't handle staying with them any longer. 

And I was really bothered by Uncle's threat to get rid of Krystal.

I turned to enter the airport, but I was blocked by my father who was breathing as if he had just run a marathon.

"Jess! I'm glad I found you!" he said breathlessly.

I was more surprised than mad to see him again. I was actually sort of relieved to see him again too. I just needed someone else who was real family to talk to at this moment in time.

"What do you want?" I asked suspiciously.

Father pulled out a sealed envelope with Krystal's name on it. "Please, Sooyeon," he begged me. "Please don't burn this one. Don't throw it away. Read it to her for me."

I looked from the letter to my father before taking it. "He wants to get rid of her," I said quietly. "He wants me to join his business."

My father sighed through his nose. "He never tires of this game," he replied. "Sooyeon...where is your sister?"

"She's safe," I replied shortly. 

"I guess that's all I'll be getting out of you," he said defeatedly. "Did you get the money?"

"The one with Krystal?"

He nodded. "There was $1500 US in there."

"I haven't used it yet."

"Well...maybe you can use it to restore her vision?" he suggested.

I shrugged. "If there's a chance maybe. The doctor said he'd keep an eye out for now. He said that one of her eyes could be recovered."

Father put a hand on my shoulder, but I jerked away. I wasn't quite ready to be all friendly cuddly with him like when I was much younger. After all, he had proven himself a failed parent, especially leaving Krystal all alone for the majority of her life.

"I'm sorry, Sooyeon," he said sadly. "I never intended to hurt you or Krystal. I hope you can forgive me...someday."

As soon as he brought up my sister, I felt anger rise in my chest. "You don't get it do you?" I snarled. "You knew the consequences before you even did that to us! When was lying ever a good thing? And why didn't you just tell Krystal you were leaving her with me forever?"

He opened his mouth to reply, but I didn't give him a chance.

"I never want to see you again," I said threateningly. "In fact, don't show your face in front of us ever again."

"Sooyeon!" he said desperately. "Honest! I didn't mean to hurt the both of you..."

I gave him a sidelong glare as I started to leave. "Just leave us alone. She'll be safe with me."

"She's strong, Sooyeon," he said. "That's one thing I know for sure. She's a fighter."

I gave him one last long look. "I know, father."

And I turned my back on him. I didn't look back.

------------------------------

*Krystal POV*

Taeyeon-unnie had introduced me to her friend. He was an older gentlemen married to a woman, who was also really nice. They were probably in their mid-ages.

They were very nice people. They were like real grandparents.

Their dog just had puppies a few weeks ago, and they were letting us spend time with them. 

It turned out that Taeyeon had taken me here not just to let me cool off from the program, but she also wanted to talk.

"How have you been doing?" Taeyeon-unnie asked.

"Fine." I pet one  of the puppies that was trying to climb up my leg.

"No. I mean how are you?" she reiterated. "Do you like it here in the school?"

"Well, I like it here," I replied trying to avoid answering the real question. "It's nice." The puppy started trying to catch my finger in its teeth.

"You don't like it do you," she prompted. She sighed. "It's very evident in your expression."

"Huh?" I froze and the puppy grabbed my finger in its teeth. "W-what do you mean?"

"Krystal, you're an ok kid. I know you're as studious and smart as Amber told us--and heck, you've picked up quite a bit of new skill in these days that you've been here, but I feel like you're not really--I don't know how I should put it," Taeyeon said. "You seem to be a bit out of it. Have you been sleeping alright?"

"I guess," I said. "I've pulled all-nighters before." And those were usually nights when father came home riproaring drunk and trying to tear my bedroom door off the hinges to get me.

Maybe those wierd dreams with my sister were affecting my sleep though...

"How attached are you to your sister?" Taeyeon-unnie suddenly asked, which completely caught me off guard.

"A-attached?" I echoed. "Um...I dunno..."

"You miss her don't you?"

"Well, wouldn't anyone miss their family?"

Taeyeon-unnie sighed. "Krystal, I'm trying to help you loosen up. It's ok if you have a strong attachment to her. I wish my sibling would be like that with me."

"It wasn't always like that," I said softly.

"What?"

Oops. I shouldn't have said anything. "Uh...nothing." I went back to petting the puppy that was trying to catch my fingers. Its soft tongue lapped at my skin. "Thanks for taking me out here."

"No problem, kid. Think of this as thanks for your advice on how to take out Tiffany."

I smiled. "I'm sure it'll be great. When are you going?"

"After this program is over. Hey! Maybe we can hang out or something."

"That's an idea," I said and I pet the puppy's soft head with my thumb. 

----------------------------------------

(hours later)

*Jessica POV*

I looked out the airplane window, noting how small the world was from up here. The night lights and ocean sat below us, watching us pass by. 

I was getting farther away from that crazy uncle and his business, and getting closer to home. Closer to my sister. 

I closed my eyes and remembered how only a month or so ago, Krystal had appeared at my front door, lost as a puppy and I had been hostile towards her. But things had changed since then...ever since the night I got drunk.

I thought about Father, and I hoped he would be alright. I was still mad at him, but I just hoped he wouldn't do anything stupid. Maybe he would keep his word about getting income and coming back to take Krystal back with him. The only problem was I wasn't sure if I was willing to let her go.

How can you talk about her like she's property? I thought to myself. If she wants to go back then she can! It's her decision.

I remembered how she was before she left with Tiffany. She had seemed reluctant to go. 

My heart started jumping with excitement and I was glad everyone else was sleeping and that it was kind of dim on the plane tonight. My blood went warm as I remembered the feeling of her hands on my face.

I had a tiny inkling of hope that she was starting to trust me a bit more than before. 

But then I recalled my previous argument with my Uncle, and I began to worry. What kinds of things was he planning on doing to Krystal? I just hoped he would forget and hoepfully not find out that she was living with me. 

I didn't want to be the new director. I just wanted to be free from them.

----------------------

I hope this update was alright.  pretty quick huh?

Please feel free to comment! Thanks for reading and for supporting!

Take care!  <3

Sorry if there's errors, I will go back to revise later