Prologue

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

My sister and I had never been close. I don't think I can ever recall any memory with her. 

She was always away at school, or with friends--anywhere but home.

I think it had to do with mom. I actually never knew Mom, though. I never had one.

All we had was dad.

I'm not sure what happened. NO one ever told me anything, but my father would just tell me that a tragedy had occurred, which led me to think I had something to do with it.

Why did I believe that?

It was the look in their eyes. They probably thought I was ignorant about the way they looked at me---pity, sadness, bitterness, a hint of anger maybe.

As for my sister, we barely talked when she came home from the states. My father sent her to California to study.

Apparently it was part of mom's will? I dunno...

We'd exchange quick greeting and get along with our day. 

As we got older, things started to get a bit tense because she had friends who would come over, and I'd have to stay out of hte way and hope they wouldn't see me/ask about me. My sister would get a bit uptight about things, and then kind of get mad at me.

I didn't blame her. 

I found no fault in my sister, even though I didn't understand why she was so upset.

I guess I was underestimating "kind of"--she could get pretty scary when she got mad.

My father usually wasn't around, but when he was he'd tell her to go cool off somewhere, and let off on me.

I was often left confused.

The hell was going on?

SO one day i decided to try and ask her what I'd done wrong for so many years.

It was probably the worst idea ever. May as well tell you since we're here...

"Sooyeon, stop picking on your sister," dad said tiredly. "Just calm down for a moment, ok? Don't get mad for no reason."

She huffed and retreated to her room.

"Soojung, pay no mind to her. She's just really stressed, "Dad tried to reassure me. "You've done nothing wrong."

I just nodded and trailed up the stairs.

I decided that I should try to get to the bottom of this. What have I done that was so wrong? Was it something that had to do with Mom?

I didnt want to be left in the dark. If I was doing something that was maknig unnie upset, I should know--oh wait, but she doesn't like me to call her unnie.

And I forgot too... at that moment.

"Unnie?" I called against her door. "Er...um...Jess?"  I knocked on the door gently.

I waited a couple seconds, and I knocked again.

But nothing happened...( it's like that pokemon game where if you use that one attack 'splash'...nothing happened...)

I sighed and swallowed nervously.

I probably should't have tried asking her, but I really just wanted to know why she was so cold towards me...we were sisters but we hardly knew each other.

I pushed open the door and saw my sister sitting on her bed and sobbing.

My mind flushed out the things my sister didn't like me to do/say.

"Unnie?" I called tentatively. "Are you ok?"

I inched closer and just barely touched her shoulder when she lashed out at me and glared at me with icy dark eyes---they were literally chips of ice.

I backed away, heart racing with fear.

But then I suddenly became confused when she had a look of shock and terror on her face.

"S-soojung..." she spluttered. "I-I'm sorry..."

I was already surprised and in a slight daze when she called me that. She usually called me by my English name rather than Korean. Dunno why...guess it had something to do with the tragedy too?

But I suddenly felt warm liquid drip down my face, and I wiped at it with a hand.

Blood.

But then her eyes hardened again and she gave me a menacing glare. "Get out. Don't come near me again."

"B-but, unnie, I--"

"I told you already. Don't call me that. It's Jessica to you." She started getting up so she could push me out of her room.

"Ok, sorry, Jessica, but why are you so cold to me? What have I done that's so bad?" I asked before she could kick me out.

She stopped, avoiding my eyes. "Nothing, you idiot. Just leave me alone."'

"What?" I cried in disbelief. "HOw can you---"

"Just shut up, ok? I don't want to see you right now. Go bother someone else."

My heart would have shattered if that were possible. Did she really hate me this much?

I was 13.

She was 19.

So that happened. 

I'd learned my lesson, I suppose. Stay away.

She started coming home less and less.

She finished her studies in the states and moved back to Seoul and rented an apartment while she was studying at some university around here.

I was still in high school, trying to find myself and struggling with my now alchoholic father who was having trouble with rent, and going out to drink all the tiem, and picking up girls that mooched money off him.

We had to move to a cheap apartment becuase of his money problems.

I hadn't seen my sister for two years already...almost three.

But the real problem started when my vision began to get all wierd.

I was hesitant to tell my father becuase of money, and also because he started to get really moody and violent. Sometimes he'd come home and tear the cabinet doors of the hinges in the kitchen. I'd lock myself in my room and hope he wouldn't tear the door of the hinges either.

Another $250 added to the check for property damage. 

It was actually really scary. It was like a horror/real life movie.

He'd bang on the bedroom doors and howl for his wife, and then cry about how she'd just gone and dropped me on them, and that he was already losing touch with Jessica because of her.

The night would go on like that. Neighbors complained, the landlord would give him warnings and he'd apologize, but it would start all over again.

Then one day, he suddenly came home with a new girlfriend who was overdoing the perfume and make up and stuff. She seemed like some aloof, obnoxious snob who was just here to get some money and fun.

She didn't like me. I could tell.

She looked at me the same way my sister looked at me, except that there was no sadness. Only contempt and pride.

Anyway, I kept my problem to myself until I started walking into things.

The school started noticing, my friends started noticing, and my father did too, but he thought I was just trying to get attention. He was moody after his daily hangovers.

The school called him and told him that he oght to take me to the optometrist to check out my eyes.

The optometrist just gave me prescription glasses, and my vision was ok after that.

BUt then I started getting head aches and dizzy spells. My father couldn't afford to pay for a doctor's appointment so he got me Tylenol to ease the pain, and just told me to sleeep more and eat healthier to keep healthy.

As for dizzy spells, he had no solution.\

 

"Soojung, your sister's back in Seoul!" my father announced. "We'll be visiting her as soon as she smooths out a few issues."

"Uh..are you sure I shoudl go?" I asked him. "I'd rather stay home actually."  After that one episode where she'd attacked me and kicked me away from her, I was hesitant to even step into any of her territory.

"Well, she's you sister. You should come along."

So I consented because I literally had no other argument besides her spite towards me.

 

So we went and we met her friends, Tiffany and Yuri. They were pretty nice actually.

My sister ignored me, naturally, but I didn't blame her at all...even thought I was still unsure why she was so against me.

It was kind of awkward, especially when my dad went out for a smoke, and I'd gone to the bathroom to avoid Unnie and her friends.

But that's when I heard a lot of things...

"Sica, your sister's really sweet! What's the problem?" I heard Tiffany ask. "She doesn't seem like an ignorant brat at all! If anything you might be the one overreacting."

"Gee, thanks, Fany," she said darkly. "But it's just a facade."

"Look, Sica, I know, maybe this might have to do with your mother, but you really shouldn't just throw it all out on your sister," Tiffany told her seriously. "Does she even know why you hate her so much?"

"I don't hate her, I just--"

"Well, I wouldn't be surprised if that's how you appear to her."

"Fany!" I heard her cry with disbelief. "You're supposed to be on my side!"

"Sica, I think...I think Fany has a point," Yuri said. "Just give your sister a break. She obviously has no idea what happened, and you're just confusing her."

"You don't understand," my sister growled. "I don't want her to get hurt."

"Huh?!" they cried, "That makes no sense!"

"Hurt her? How is that even possible?" Tiffany exclaimed. "I mean if you're talking about the truth, yes it always hurts, but she can't be left in the dark forever. You'er supposed to be her unnie! She looks up to you--"

"Which is why she has never questioned your wrath as you've told us!" Yuri finished. "She's not trying to play victim, you pabo! SHe really doesn't understand!"

"Tch!" Jessica scoffed. "Whatever. It's really not my problem that father hasn't told her yet."

"Don't try to make it someone else's fault, Sica," Tiffany said. "You should tell her."

"Me?"

"Yup."

I never came out of the bathroom until my father knocked on the door for us to leave. I never told her I'd overheard the conversation.

We just said goodbye and left.

So, that's my relationship with my sister.

Unfortunately, my father has made plans, and he hasn't told me anything except to wait.

I just hope it doesn't involve moving in with my sister because he did mention that he wouldn't be able to take me with him on some business trip.

Help~!

 

---------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone! I just suddenly had this idea, and I really wanted to put it out before I forgot anything! :) 

(I have so many ongoing stories right now, and I have a lot of writer's block happening...)

Anyway, i hope you guys look forward to this story, and hopefully you'll enjoy it. :3

Please comment, subscribe, upvote if you like it! 

Take care!!