Chapter 15

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Jessica POV*

Hongcheon School for the Blind.

I flipped the brochure over and reread the description of the program. 

I had just gotten off my job at the coffee shop, and was sitting at one of the tables to examine the papers I had found on the table beside Krystal's bed. The doctor must have left it earlier, and I hadn't noticed it when I went to see her last night.

I wondered if I should have waited for Krystal to wake up before leaving. I made sure to leave extra early because I didn't want anyone to see us. And besides, I don't think I was allowed to do that anyway. But I couldn't forget how strangely surreal it felt that she wanted to be close to me last night.

"Hey there, Jess!" Amber waved and sat down across from me without even asking. "So I see you found 'em!"

I looked at her questioningly.

"I left that for you at the hospital when I went to visit Krystal the other day," Amber explained. "I have a friend who goes there, and I thought that if you wanted a place, well, this might be the one. It's got good reviews, and the people there are really nice." She grinned at me. "They have a program that lasts for about three weeks, maybe a month. They teach you everythign...well as much as possible that can be learned within that time frame. YOu should consider it. There's financial aid if you can't aford it."

"Well, thanks, AMber," I said. 

"Totally. SO when's your sister getting out?" Amber changed the subject.

"A couple more days," I replied. "The doctor wants to make sure she's in the all clear before she leaves to make sure there's no cancer or anything."

Amber nodded. "That's great! Anyway, I-- oh hello!" 

A shadow loomed over them, and I looked up to find Yuri standing there.  I was actually surprised because I hadn't been expecting her to come at all.

"Hey, Sica," Yuri said. She looked Amber up and down. "WHo's this?" She looked suspicious as if she thought we were on a secret date.

"Talking," I replied shortly. I was still kind of mad about Yuri's suggestion to put Krystal away into a home, but I was also starting to doubt my feelings towards Yuri these days. Lately, it felt kind of like still water. We weren't really getting anywhere. In fact, for all the time since we started dating, I didn't really feel much of a connection with Yuri. It was nice to have someone else outside of family that cared for me and loved meintimately, but I don't think i ever had the same levels of intimacy as Yuri did for me.

"You know," Amber piped up, "About possibilited for schools that Krystal could go to." She held up the brochure for Yuri to see. "It's kind of far, but it's really good there."

Yuri eyed the brochure. "Oh...um that's great, I suppose. But who are you?" 

"Oh! I'm Amber!" 

Yuri was a little startled by Amber's cheeriness. "Oh, ok. I'm...uh...Yuri."

"Oh well, nice to meet you, Yuri! I gotta run, but I'll see you all around some time!" Amber winked at Yuri as if she knew something, and exited the coffee shop.

Yuri sighed and sat in the seat Amber had just left. "Look, Jessica, we really need to talk."

I looked at her shortly. "Yeah?"

"Please hear me out. I'm worried. Not just about you, but everything that could happen in the future." She reached across the table to hold my hand in hers. "Ever since Krystal reappeared in your life, you've changed. I feel like...we lost our bond or something."

I almost scoffed. Imagine that. It took me a long time....three years to figure out that my feelings to Yuri were nothing but a sham. I forced myself to try and reciprocate them to make up for what I'd lost in my family.

"Sica, what's happening to us?" Yuri tightened her grip on my hand.

"I don't know, Yuri," I said.

"I'm scared, Sica. First you get stressed over your sister for coming back, then you get drunk, and now...what are we? Is there even an 'us' anymore?" Yuri looked so desperate, I started to feel bad for my actions toward her. "I didn't want you to be upset with me, Jess. I only suggested what I did to help you ease the load on your shoulders. You don't deserve this."

"Soojung doesn't either," I muttered under my breath. 

Luckily Yuri didn't hear it because she kept going. "I love you, Jessica. I really do." She looked at me with shiny hopeful eyes.

I paused. "I love you too."

Yuri smiled sadly at me. "I'm so blessed to have met a girl like you, Jess. You're the most beautiful, caring woman I've ever known." She pulled my hand and pressed her lips to my knuckles. "I always hoped someday..."

"Yuri," I said a little too abruptly. 

"...someday we will have a future together."

I looked away feeling the heat rise to my cheeks while my blood ran cold in the rest of my body. Strange. 

I felt so bad for what I was about to say. Dammit! Why couldn't I love her the same way she loved me?

"Jessica," she looked into my eyes. 

"Yuri," I said slowly. "Let's not see each other for a while. I-I need some time to think."

Yuri gasped and she only gaped at me with sadness and shock. "But...but, Jess..."

"I'm sorry, Yuri," I said softly, "But so many things are going on, I don't know what to do."

"I can help you! You're not alone!" Yuri protested. "If it's your sister--"

"It's not her, it's me." I started to gather my things. "I'm...I'm sorry, Yuri, but right now I need time alone." I started to head out. "Thanks for always supporting me."

"Wait, Jess!" she chased after me and grabbed my arm. "Won't you...won't you at least consider what I told you?"

I stopped and sighed heavily. My heart beat quicker at the words I was about to tell her. I turned to face her. "Do you really think I'm going to turn my back on her now? Yuri, I can't abandon her. I'm all she has left." I backed away. "I'm not going to let her go, Yuri. She's only 16."

"Jessica!" she protested.

"Yuri, this is family," I told her with glistening eyes. Why was I starting to tear up now? I can't cry! "She's my sister. I can't let her go when I know that I can take care of her." Krystal needs me...

"But what about me? why do you have to leave me?" Yuri demanded. A tear fell down her cheek.

"I'm not leaving you. I just want to be left alone so I can think. We're still friends," I argued. "Look, don't make a scene now. I have to go." I slipped my arm out of her grasp.

"Going to see your sister?" Yuri snarled vicously. 

I was taken aback by her hostility. 

"Hah! Anyone could tell you your sister doesn't really need anyone!" Yuri said angrily. "I can see it in her eyes. She's seen a lot, she knows a lot, and she's perfectly fine on her own. She doesn't need you to take care of her the way you think she does."

People were starting to watch us, and I felt reallly uncomfortable. "Yuri, please," I begged.

"I don't think Krystal needs anything from you. If anything, I'm beginning to feel like YOU'RE the one who's in need. Oh wait! You said it yourself that night you got roaring drunk!" Yuri laughed. "Soojung...I need you!" she mocked.

I felt my blood boil with anger. "Yuri, stop!" I hissed.

Yuri looked around with a crazed look on her face. "I guess you're right, Jessica. You really do need to sort things out on your own." She grinned at me crazily.

I started to back away.

"YOu're gonna regret breaking up with me, Sica!" she howled. "I was the only one really willing to help you, even when Tiffany made the most sense out of everything! I stood by your side when you were weak! I held you up when you fell down! How can you do this to me? Was that really not enough to make you love me even more?"

"Yuri, please calm down," I said.

"You know what? Go! Just go!" she snapped. "I've had enough of you and your dramas! Go figure this one out on your own, but soon you'll see I was right! Your sister doesn't need you! You're the weak one! You're blinder than she ever was!" I saw a tear trail down her cheek.

"I'm sorry, Yuri." I turned my back and left quickly. I didn't want to hear her talk anymore.

I felt so humiliated in front of my coworkers and all those people in there.

I got into my car and leaned my forehead down onto the steering wheel. I didn't know breaking up with Yuri was going to turn out like this. She literally had become a monster. But that was my fault too. I made her upset.

In fact, everything was my fault. I lost my family, I make my own sister afraid of me, I make my exgirlfriend upset...all because of me.

But I really needed the break. I needed to figure out my feelings too. If I couldn't love Yuri back, what was the point? I couldn't mislead her like this, and I didn't want to even try to force myself any longer.

I would have called my best friend about this at any other time, but I felt like Tiffany was already too much involved in my personal issues. Much as I'd like to talk with her, I decided not to. I think it was enough that she knew the whole story behind my strained relationship with Krystal. She would probably call me stupid again.

Even though I was sure I did the right thing, I felt terrible. But maybe...if Krystal comes back home with me, it'll help to take my mind off things for a while.

 

*Krystal POV*

"Well it looks like you'll be ready to go soon. I'm just going to take a last test," the doctor said. "The results will be available tomorrow so you should leave by tomorrrow afternoon."

They had taken some blood samples and put me in that scanning machine thing earlier to compeltely ensure there were no more abnormal growths anywhere in my brain and body. They also gave me a last injection for like vitamin or something because apparently I was low on some of that.

"You're lucky you came when you did, kid," the doctor ruffled my hair. "We saved you from a lifetime of brain damage."

I nodded deciding not to say anything about how I was still blind.

"cheer up, kid. You'll be up and about in no time. You've got friends and family willing to help."

Family....yeah. My family was all gone. Disappeared or unavailable.

"Oh, well, one of them's here to see you. I'll leave you two alone." The doctor left the room.

I heard the chair scrape against the floor. "Hey, Krys."

I almost thought it was my sister, and my heart started to race, but then the person didn't hold my hand so I knew it couldn't have been. It was Tiffany-unnie.

"Hi, Tiffany-unnie," I said.

"How are you feeling?" she asked. "I heard you can leave soon."

I nodded.

"So...have you seen your sister?" she asked, her voice seemed forced to sound nonchalantly, but I couldn't really tell.

As soon as she'd asked that question, I remembered the night before when my sister had that whole confession and cried, and it was all awkward. How did I even manage to pull up the guts and talk with her? 

But then...then I remembered how close we were that night. I don't know what got into me. I can't believe I told her to get into the bed with me!! I hope she wasn't freaked out. She left before I woke up.

But I really liked when she held me in her arms last night.

Just the thought made me feel all warm and wierd. I didn't realize that I'd lost track of what we were saying until Tiffany poked my head. "YAh. ARe you going to answer my question?"

"O-oh," I stammered. "Yeah, um she was here earlier." Really early, I thought to myself.

"Did she seem kind of...off?"

Well, if she was talking about the sudden change of attitude, yes. But I doubted that was what she was talking about. Her acts of affection were quite a change from the way she used to treat me before.

"Um...how?" I asked.

It was silent. "Nothing, I guess. I feel like she's lost some of her fire."

"O-ok."

Tiffany pat my shoulder. "Don't worry about it. I heard your sister and Yuri were looking up places for you?" 

I couldn't believe how straight forward she was saying it. If it were me, I would have been a bit more cautious about something personal as this. I wondered if Tiffany was trying to make me say something.

"um...yeah," I said. "It's ok."

"Look, Krystal, I know I've offered this before," Tiffany said. "But, you really can stay with me. You don't deserve to live in a home."

Should I tell her what Jessica asked me last night? Or should I let my sister handle it?

Tiffany suddenly gripped my hand in hers. It startled me a bit.

I also noticed how different it felt from how my sister held my hand. Tiffany had a tight grip and her hands were much warmer than my sister's. As for Jessica, she was more gentle, which was definitley ironic since she was mostly cold and bitter towards me.

"I'm not trying to force you to do anything," Tiffany said, "But I really don't want you to think you have no one on your side!"

"Thanks, Tiffany-unnie," I said sincerely. I was thankful she was trying to be there for me. She must be a good friend to Jessica.

I heard her chuckle softly and then the most unbelievable thing happened.

She kissed my cheek.

I felt my face burning up, but as soon as that happened, my blood ran cold when I heard a familiar voice a few steps away from us.

"Hello, Tiffany," Jessica said in a very cool, reserved tone.

"Jess!" Tiffany immediately let go of my hand and I heard footsteps. "What are you doing here?"

"To see my sister," Jessica replied.

It was silent for a moment. "Oh...ok. Are you alright?" TIffany sounded concerned.

"Fine. I'm fine. I just want to see Soojung." My sister didn't sound alright at all.

"Well, she's all yours, Jess!" Tiffany tried to sound cheerful. "Want me to wait up for you?"

I didn't hear anything. I wonder if she agreed or not?

Well, I'll never know since I couldn't see. I heard the door close, signalling that Tiffany had probably left.

I suddenly felt really exposed for some reason. Although last night I was able to somehow rustle up the courage to speak with my sister and make her stay with me, I had no power to even try to do the same today. 

Oh crap! Did she see us? Did she see it? My mind began to pour out questions as I internally panicked.

I felt the bed dip a little where my sister seemed to be leaning on it. She sighed and used one cold hand to gently the cheek that Tiffany had kissed.

Was that on purpose?

I almost wanted to think that, but then I was starting to realize how stupid I was. What did I care if she Tiffany-unnie kiss me? It was only a friendly kiss, why would Jessica be jealous?

Wait a minute...jealous? Jessica could never be jealous. She never liked me anyway!

But last night...Jessica kissed me. And it felt like I was free again...oh my god. What is happening to me?

I really wanted her to kiss me again. I wanted to be close to her again like last night. I just wanted her...

Oh my god, you sicko! I scolded myself, you can't be honestly thinking of her like that!!

The fact that my sister was here and me like I was her cat or something really wasn't helping me either. It was only helping to add to my farfetched fantasies my mind was feeding to me.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want her to think I didnt' like it, but this was really driving me nuts!

I tentatively pulled her hand off my cheek, pretending that I wanted to hold her hand. I think that was probably the worst idea ever, because that's how it ended up.

DAMMIT! I howled inwardly.

Much like what I'd done last night, she was rubbing my hand and feeling my fingers with hers. 

What. The. Heck. Was. Going. On. Here???

I could have gone crazy.

But she told me something that completely caught me by surprise.

"Soojung," she said softly. "I broke up with Yuri."

"H-hUh?" I managed to say. 

"I left Yuri," she repeated. She seemed to be waiting as if I were going to say something worth listening to.

Honestly, I had nothing.

"I...I'm sorry," I stammered. I felt really uncomfortable about this. Was it my fault? Why was she telling me this? She could be telling Tiffany about this instead of me!!

I tried pulling my hands away from her. I thought she was going to have a rage about it if I had done something wrong. However, she stopped me and held my hand tightly in hers.

"It's my fault," Jessica said. "Everything is my fault."

"Soojung, I'm a terrible person," she continued ."I really am. I hurt everyone, and I made myself into a fool...I make myself drunk when I'm upset."

I gulped. I tried to think of something, but my mind came up blank.

"I left her for you, Soojung," my sister said. I could hear her voice waver which sounded like she might be about to cry again. "I don't want to hear her tell me to give you up. I need time alone...to figure myself out."

"W-wait, unnie," I said nervously. I didn't think that was necessary.

But she kept talking as if she hadn't heard me. "I need time alone with you, Soojung. Without Tiffany. Without Yuri. I've always leaned on them for support because I didnt' have family, but...but I have to do this alone. I haven't taken the time to even give you the attention you needed."

"Unnie,"  I tried again. "I don't think-"

"Soojung...everytime I'm away from you, I feel like...like there's a string attaching me to you, and I can feel it tugging at my heart."

My breath caught in my throat, and my heart beat crazily.

Jessica put a hand on my head and slipped it down to my cheek where she rubbed it gently with a thumb.

"I...I really," she started nervously, and took her hand off me.

There was a long pause. And I mean so long, I thought that maybe I had fallen asleep or something. When you're newly blind it's kinda hard to tell...

"I love you."

Man, after not seeing my sister for so long, you can bet that that was really hard to believe. I mean, even though, last night, I was willing to be a little more open with her, I still was wary around her.

I almost wanted to believe it, but something was holding me back. 

I managed to get my hand out of her grip. 

"Are you sure you're making the right choice?" I asked her doubtfully.

---------------------------

hello! Sorry it took so long, but I got really busy with school this week (it's a 6-week session for a class that would originally be taken for a regular semester). I probably won't be able to update for another week, but I will try to make the next one extra long. :)

Um, well I hope this chapter turned out alright. Do you think Jessica was making reasonable decisions? What do you thnk should Yuri do (she was trying to be nice and help after all kind of)? ANd ultimately, what should Krystal do in this situation?

Please comment! Thanks for reading my story and thanks for waiting! :) 

Take care!! <3