Chapter 22

The Keystone (My Eyes, Your Heart, One Love)-(DISCONTINUED)

*Narrator POV*

Jessica found a lighter in one of the drawers in the kitchen. She went out to the balcony and stared at the city night lights before sitting down at the table. She found  flower pot with a dead flower. She sighed. She had never been one for gardening. Jessica pulled out the dead flower and set it aside before emptying out half of the soil from the pot into a pot with a living flower. 

Jessica made a disgusted face while wiping off the dirt from her hands. She set the half filled pot in front of her and picked up the letter again.

Was this letter important? she kept asking myself. Besides explaining her coldness toward them (which she already knew) and dad's departure, it had a few other explanations Krystal still didn't know about. Krystal still didn't know about mother and what happened to her. Jessica actually hadn't known until she read the letter. Plus, the letter talked about uncle and how she was in the states, but she kind of already knew that--except for the uncle part. She had never seen him before. She was too young during that time anyway so she probably didn't remember much.

Jessica flicked the lighter and it sparked to life. This letter didn't matter. If they were going to move on, then Krystal didn't need to know all this complicated crap. And it might make Krystal even more afraid of her. But because of everything that happened, your sister seems to despise us...if I could give Jessica the best school it would make up for all that happened...sending her off made her more resentful towards me...maybe you'll be able to get through to your sister one day...

Sbe put the lighter to the letter and watched as the flames hungrily at it. Each word turned into grains of ashes as the letter slowly burned away.

What are you doing!? Her mind screamed. This was for Krystal from father!

"She already knows," Jessica growled. "No need to pound it into her head anyway." 

But you said you'd read it to her!

And you said you'd look for it since you "lost" it!

Jessica dropped the rest of the letter into the flower pot and it was swallowed into the orange flames. She dumped soil from another flowerpot to put out the flames. Then she put it down onto the ground before sitting back in the chair.

What have you done? You lied to her, and now you burn the letter! What are you gonna tell her now?

Jessica shook her head and headed back inside. She put away the lighter, and tried to erase the letter from her mind. I can tell her the truth later, she thought. She doesn't need dad's words to tell her. 

But would Krystal have preferred to hear an explanation from father himself? After all, they might have been a bit closer than Jessica could ever have been with any of them. 

Her phone suddenly went off, and she went to answer without even checking who it was. She was tired, stressed, and feeling sorry and upset towards her sister.

Jessica had expected it to be Fany since her friend seemed to somehow be getting in the middle of things. "What do you want?"

"Hey, Jess, that's no way to speak to your uncle!"

Jessica's eyes widened. "U-uncle?!"

"It's ok. I guess  I called you at a wrong time," he laughed. "It is kind of late."

"Ok," Jessica said. What did they want? 

"Anyway, I just wanted to ask you if you were available next month? My family and I plan to come over and visit. We're actually setting up a branch in Seoul for my business, and I thought that maybe we could discuss a few things regarding that and you."

"What...what about me and it?" Jessica asked uneasily. This didn't sound good. She knew her uncle could be crafty and greedy so she wasn't sure what he wanted from her about this.

"Don't you remember? A while ago we talked about business and how I would make you the head of one of my branches!" he exclaimed. "You didn't forget did you?"

She definitely had, and her plans had changed since then. She didn't want to be a part of his business anyway. "Well actually--"

"It's been so long, my dear! We miss you!"

Jessica didn't want them to come over. She didn't want anything to do with them at all. Most of all, she didn't want them to see Krystal. Knowing these people, she wasn't sure how they would react towards her sister. They might let her be, or they might make her feel unwelcome and chase her away too...

"Actually, uncle--"

"I've told you, just call me dad. After all, yours isn't really qualified to be one."

Jessica grumbled. "Uncle, I actually want to go back and visit. I'm a little busy for the summer, but I can go next week. We can talk about it then."

"Oh! Well what a surprise! Then sure!" he sounded surprised but delighted. He made some kind of cakle laugh. "I actually have a surprise for you then, my girl. But you'll see for yourself when you get here."

Jessica felt impatience run through her veins. "Ok, I'll see you then."

"Everyone is waiting to see you! Don't worry about paying for the ticket! I'll get it ASAP!"

"Yeah, bye."

Jessica flopped down on the sofa. Next week she'd go...next week Krystal would go to the school for the blind. Jessica closed her eyes hoping it wouldn't be too bad. They were typical rich family: Always shoot for the best, beat out the weak, no room for the weak, only the strong and intelligent...

Anyway, they were spiteful towards father. She assumed it was because he was poorer than they.

Her phone buzzed at a notification that she had an incoming email. Jessica opened her email and found that her uncle had already arranged for her to go on Monday. Guess he didn't waste a chance at getting me back there, she thought grumpily.

Monday? Was the school even open before then? 

It was Friday night.

Jessica checked on her phone for the hours, but it was closed to the open for weekends. Only the office was open, so she wouldn't be able to leave her there before getting to the airport. She sighed. She was going to have to come up with a plan B.

She dialed a number and waited.

"Jess? What's up? It's late."

"Hey, Fany," Jessica said. "I need to ask you a favor."

"Oh? Ok, sure. Anything."

"I have a commitment to meet on Monday, so I was wondering if you could take Krystal to the school for the blind for me. I'll give you all the paper work and everything."

"Jess, I don't think..." Tiffany started to protest.

"Fany, just do this one favor for me. I'll make it up to you, but I really can't make it. Besides, she's more comfortable with you anyway."

Jessica heard Tiffany mutter something incoherently. "Fine, Jess. When are you leaving?"

"Monday, early afternoon."

"Great, I'll get her before then."

"Thanks, Fany." Jessica decided to leave what happened today forgotten for now. They could deal with that later. She wanted to get this trip back to California over with before anything else.

"No problem, Jess."

The line clicked off, and Jessica went back to her bedroom. She put her phone down on the nightstand, and climbed into the bed with her sister. At least Krystal was ok with them sleeping together like this. Jessica had decided that it might be better to have her closeby anyway in case something happened. 

But Jessica liked having the younger girl close to her. The only puzzling thing was that most times Krystal seemed to be a bit more intimate when they were alone together at night. Maybe Krystal's exhaustion by the end of the day was a playing a factor in letting her guard down a little bit.

She caressed her cheek gently. "Oh, Soojung...Can't we start over?" she whispered sadly. 

I wish I could turn back time...The words Krystal wrote in her Wish List flashed in Jessica's mind.

The older girl pressed a kiss above her eyebrow as a tear dripped from Jessica's closed eye, and trailed down Krystal's cheek. Jessica wiped the trail away gently with her fingers. 

Krystal's face contorted but she didn't wake up.

Jessica pulled her into her arms and fell asleep with her forehead against Krystal's.

--------------------------------------------------

Uncle Jung smirked as he put down his latest Samsung phone. "Well, well, brother," he sneered. "Looks like you'll be having a grand family reunion with one of your daughters. Pray tell, though....what did you do with the other one?"

"That's not for you to know," Mr. Jung growled. "As far as you need to be concerned, she's fine." At least he hoped she was. He couldn't explain too many things to her before leaving. It was too complicated, and he figured she didn't need to get involved either. She was only 16 for crying out loud! That's why he wrote that letter, so that she could read and let those words sit in her brain for her to process and understand. He hoped she'd been able to get it. He just sent it to the old apartment because he figured Jessica might throw away anything from him since she was still mad at him. Hopefully, Krystal might have sauntered by their old home and run into the land lady. And why didn't he want to bring Krystal along with him here? First of all, money. There wasn't enough of that, and he just didn't her to get mixed up with his adoptive brother.

Uncle Jung guffawed loudly. "Me? Concerned? I don't give a crap about the other one! She's sick isn't she?" He sneered nastily. "I remember you begging me for help because you couldn't afford to pay for hospital fees. Too bad I wasn't available. Hope she's still alive."

Mr. Jung growled. "You're just insensitive and selfish."

"Hah! I'm not even your real brother anyway! You were just a streetdog father picked up from the street!" Uncle Jung poured himself a shot of hard liquor. "Too bad he died. I'm sure he'd be willing to help you right now. If only you hadn't chosen to marry that suicidal , mother wouldn't have disowned you."

"Look, I'm already here. What did you want?" Mr. Jung demanded.

Uncle Jung smiled nastily and walked around the desk. He leaned in real close to Mr. Jung's face so that he could smell the alchohol in his breath. "I'm going to thank you for everything. You've given me a wonder 'daughter' who turned out beter than my own three children. Lord bless their hearts. Of course, they'll have a place in my business, but your daughter--oh! excuse me!" He exaggerated a cough and smirked. "My new 'daughter' which you've given me, will be the hightest position in my new branch in Seoul. Isn't that wonderful?"

"Hardly," Mr. Jung grumbled.

"And as thanks for helping me out, I have decided to give you a portion of money," Uncle Jung said.

"You don't have to. I'm fine, thanks."

"Aww, still trying to play Mr. Independent, eh?" Uncle Jung swigged down his drink. "Don't you think you're being a bit too cocky? How can you say no to a couple million dollars? I'm also offering you a spot as my new janitor."

Mr. Jung knew something was up. He never trusted his brother. Everything was a "deal or no deal" situation. "Look, I'm not interested in being your cleaning man, and I don't want your money. What the hell do you want?"

Uncle Jung laughed. "You see...the floor is mine! HAHA!"

Mr. Jung made a face. Well, yeah, the floor was his. He was standing in his office. "Can you elaborate, please?" Mr. Jung said impatiently.

"I want you to say goodbye to your little Jung Sooyeon," Uncle Jung sneered. "That shouldn't be too hard anyway, since she absolutely abhors your whole being. Do not associate with her ever again."

"Huh!" Mr. Jung scoffed. "I can do that without your dirty money!"

"And just so you know," his brother continued evilly. "I'm gonna find out what you did with the other one. YOu know, just in case anything happens, I can't have trash getting along with Jessica."

Krystal was with Jessica! But Mr. Jung didn't have time to feel nervous. "Well look here, there's tons of people like me and her. SO that means the whole world is trash to you. Does that mean Sooyeon can't talk with anybody?"

Uncle JUng laughed nastily again. "Oh, smart one, you! SHUT UP!" He threw down his shot glass and it shattered into a thousand shining pieces. "Don't get smart with me, you ! Even if you can get away from me, I can always get my hands on your darling streetpuppy."

"Tch! Fat chance! Krystal isn't as weak as you think she is."

"Ah, but you forget. I have money, I have power. I have power, I have people. I have people, I have connections. I have connections....I have information." He smirked and laughed as if he had just taken over the whole world. "And with that, I am practically invincible!"

Mr. Jung made a face. This was starting to get a bit off topic, but he was also started to feel a bit unsettled and wary. "Listen, man, just leave her alone. She hasn't done anything wrong to anybody. You already have Jess, so don't pull Soojung into this crap."

"I can do what I want, STUPID!" Uncle Jung snapped. Suddenly he smiled like an innocent Barbie doll. "This was such a nice conversation. I hope we can talk like this again, but now I'm busy. Come back Monday for quality father daughter time!"

Mr. Jung glared at him while the adoptive brother smirked triumphantly. "YOu can't do anything, little brother. You have nothing."

-------------------------------------------

1 week later....(Jessica and Krystal)

Jessica watched Krystal as they ate the kimchi fried rice she managed to make that morning. Krystal seemed to be partial to it since she had been refusing to eat other things besides bread in the last week. Maybe Krystal was just into simple food.

Krystal was also wearing the striped shirt she'd gotten for her. It looked better on her than it did on that model in the store.

"Soojung, I'll be in California for a week. I have somethings to get to over there," Jessica said. She decided not to say too much about their uncle. "But I'll be back before you come home."

Krystal shrugged and spooned another mouthful of rice. Jessica frowned. The other day, the younger girl was worried she was going to leave her behind; but now she was acting indifferent again. "You believe me don't you?"

Krystal nodded.

Jessica sighed. "I'm going to miss you."

Krystal didn't say anything. She scooped up another spoonful of rice and shoved it in . I'm going to miss you too! Krystal wanted to say. Why are you even going to California!? Don't leave me behind!

Krystal swallowed and was about to refill her spoon when she felt Jessica lift up her chin. What was she going to do now?

"Don't be sad, Soojung," she said. "It's only two weeks. We'll be back before you know it." Jessica rubbed the corner of Krystal's mouth with her thumb to wipe away a stray grain of seaweed.

"Who said I was going to be sad?" Krystal said innocently before shoving another spoonful in .

"Even if you don't say so, I can see it in your eyes."

Krystal felt embarassed and her face started to heat up. "Then don't look at them."

Jessica wasn't sure if that was a joke or not, but she smiled when she saw Krystal's cheeks start to tinge red a bit. She leaned over and kissed the top of Krystal's head before going back to eating her own food. At least Krystal was sort of getting some spark back into her. Jessica knew that Krystal was a bit uneasy since she would be going somewhere completely new. 

Should I have rescheduled my flight to another day? she began to wonder. I should be the one taking her. But she pushed that out of her mind. Krystal was more comfortable with Tiffany, and a two hour ride with Jessica might seem a bit intimidating.

When the both of them finished, Jessica washed their plates. She checked her watch. Tiffany would be here in about twenty minutes.

Krystal was sitting on the sofa, facing the window that displayed the city. Jessica watched her and sighed. The older girl entered her bedroom and opened the draw of her nightstand. There was an old brown box she had gotten from dad a very long time ago when he saw her off at the airport. She took the brown box out, and opened it to reveal a pendant of a dolphin and a baby dolphin whose centers were colored blue and green. It was suspended on a black string with silver and black beads on either side of the pendant. It had initially belonged to mother a long time ago. He'd given it to her as a special gift before they were married, and she'd worn it all the time since then. That's what he'd told Jessica, but she never wore it because she was mad at him. She'd never wondered how he'd gotten it back since she always wore it, but she assumed it must have been after she committed suicide.

Well, if I'm not going to use it, I may as well give it to someone who can, she thought as she took out the necklace from the box. There was a note inside the lid from father. Good luck, I love you, he'd written, your sister and I will be waiting with open arms. She recalled scoffing at it when she read it. But then, she realized it must have been true. They had been waiting for her all the time, but she had been a huge jerk to the both of them. She'd snapped at father all the time, and pushed away Krystal from her. The both of them had never stopped loving her--except now dad had dropped the both of them.

Jessica sat down beside her sister on the sofa. "Soojung," she called softly.

The younger girl turned her sightless eyes to her, and Jessica almost felt as if Krystal really was looking at her. Jessica moved closer to her. "I have something for you." She took one of Krystal's hands and put the necklace, pendant first, in her hand.

"W-what is it?" Krystal asked. Jessica had been giving her things--well only a couple: the srtipey shirt, and now this necklace--and she wasn't exactly sure what to think. Was Jessica trying to buy her love, or just being genuinely nice? Krystal wanted to go with the latter since Jessica had been pretty warmhearted towards her the last weeks. It made Krystal feel bad because most times she would act indifferent toward her. It's not that she was trying to be mean, but Krystal was still wary around Jessica.

"A dolphin and a dolphin baby," Jessica said. "Dad gave it to me a long time ago. He said it used to be mom's before...before she left."

"Oh." Krystal started to feel around the edges of the pendant. "You should keep it, though. He gave it to you."

She was about to let go of the necklace, but Jessica used her hands to close Krystal's around it. "No, Soojung. I want you to have it." Before Krystal could protest, Jessica took the necklace and put it around her neck for her. "It suits you better." 

"O-ok..." Krystal trailed. "Thanks...I guess." 

Jessica smiled and started to reach her hand over to caress Krystal's cheek, but then Krystal said something that caught her by surprise. "Unnie...did you ever find the letter?"

Uh oh...Krystal still remembered.

Actually, Krystal had almost forgotten about it until Jessica brought up Dad again. It had been awhile since Jessica mentioned losing the letter. Did she ever find it? She was kind of curious what dad had written, but she was pretty sure part of it contained reason why he just up and left without telling her what he actually intended. Honestly, she wasn't too affected by his lie or his sudden abandonment. She'd always been on her own anyway, but she kind of wished he hadn't done what he did. He could have told her where he was going so she wouldn't have to wonder where in the whole world he had decided to run off to.

On the other hand, Jessica had seriously screwed up. The older girl already knew it as soon as those words fell from Krystal's lips. She retracted her hand and looked down, trying to think of what she could say. She could lie again, but she already did. Then Krystal might really not trust her--except she already didn't. Anyway, Krystal was lying to her too so they were even. The only thing was that Jessica had destroyed the letter, while Krystal just made up a story. How was she going to tell Krystal that she burned something that was specifically written for her

Jessica swallowed nervously. "S-Soojung," she started. "Is it really that important to you?"

Krystal shrugged. "It's from dad."

"But...how much did he mean to you?" Jessica inquired. Would Krystal care so much if she didn't really like dad?

Krystal had a puzzled look on her face. "I don't know. I didn't spend a lot of time with him for a while. Why?"

Jessica's hands became cold. Just tell her you didn't find it! Her mind was screaming at her. But something else was telling her to just spill it and get it over with.

"I-I burned it," Jessica stammered. "I burned the letter."

Krystal blinked, and Jessica was surprised to find that Krystal didn't look furious. But maybe it wasn't so much of a surprise since the younger girl was more mellow and not as hotheaded as Jessica.

"W-why'd you do that?" Krystal sounded more curious than mad.

"I don't know," Jessica admitted. She didn't want to tell her sister that she'd also gone snooping through her stuff either. All those things she found: the notes, the messages--it just made her mad at herself and father. "I was just upset...at him..." Jessica hoped it sounded reasonable. I think I like you more than Tiffany-unnie, Krystal's words echoed in her mind. Jessica had been happy to hear that, but now she wasn't sure if Krystal was going to take that back after this.

There was a long silence. Krystal didn't know what to think at that moment. Part of her was a little upset that Jessica just went and destroyed something that belonged to her, but she couldn't find the strength to say anything to oppose Jessica. Maybe the letter wasn't important, but she really wanted to know what dad wrote. It was literally the last inkling of him she had left.

But if Jessica read it, then couldn't Jessica just tell her what was in it? Krystal began to wonder if Jessica would change what she'd seen though. Or even if Jessica had read it to her, how would she know she was actually reading it and not changing the content?

"Well, since we're confessing," Krystal said instead. "I should just tell you that Tiffany-unnie kissed me, and I bit her really hard. That's why she was bleeding a lot."

Jessica gaped at her. That was what happened? That was even worse! "K-kissed you?!" she cried. "Soojung, why didn't you tell me?"

"Why didn't you just tell me you didn't want to read the letter?" Krystal retorted. "It would have saved you the trouble."

Jessica was at a loss. That idiot! Jessica's blood began to boil as she remembered Tiffany's nervousness upon Jessica's return home, and when she'd been trying to see what Tiffany and Krystal had been talking about at the coffee shop. No wonder Tiffany had been eager to spend a day with Krystal. She was attracted towards her little sister! She's going to get it real good as soon as I have the time! she thought angrily. 

"Soojung, this is different!" Jessica protested. "You should have told me!"

Krystal looked away from her. "Well you could have told me you didn't want to read it," she mumbled, still not giving up on her sister's dishonesty.

"Soojung, how do I know she didn't do anything else to you?" Jessica demanded. She paused. "She didn't did she?" Her heart was beating with fury and fear. I trusted my best friend with you. How could she do this to me?

"No." Yes, Krystal thought, but she didn't want to provoke her sister too much. She was feeling up on me...Krystal shuddered as she remembered Tiffany's hands against her abs and caressing up to her chest.

"Are you sure?" Jessica didn't miss Krystal's shivering, and she was starting to feel concerned. She was also kicking herself for lying about that stupid letter. Compared to this, Jessica worrying about reading the letter to Krystal was nothing.

Krystal nodded. How can I tell her the other part too? She felt a bit sick in her gut. She didn't want to think about how her sister might react to the other part of the story.

The doorbell suddenly rang, and Jessica realized she had forgotten to tell Krystal she wouldn't be the one bringing her to the school. "Great," she grumbled irritably. Now she was able to figure out why Tiffany seemed hesitant to agree. "How could I have asked her to do this for me?" She got up and went to answer the door.

Who'd want to come this early in the morning? Krystal thought to herself.

But the moment the door opened, her blood ran cold.

"Hey, Jess!" It was Tiffany. "Hey, Krystal. Ready to go?"

---------------------------------------

"Yoona, are you sure this is a good idea?" Yuri asked as the other girl pushed her into the car with a box of takeout. 

"Of course I'm sure!" Yoona exclaimed. "You're not gonna get anything done worrying and moping about!" She pecked Yuri's cheek. "Just go and see how she's doing! Tell her I said hi! And don't eat it all by yourself, you fatty! Or else I'll find out you didn't see her and I wasted my money!"

"You could come with me," Yuri pouted.

"Nope! Sorry!" Yoona said cheerily. "Thanks for bringing me to work!" She shut the door and waved Yuri off before entering the building.

Yuri half hoped Jessica was home, but she wasn't exactly sure what she was going to say. Yoona had talked her many times into this, and she'd rejected until now. It was kind of getting old and a bit annoying, but Yoona did have a point.

Dammit! she thought. I should have asked Yoona what to say!! But she kind of figured that Yoona would tell her to figure it out herself. Yuri had known Jessica long enough anyway.

Gosh, but it had been a while since she'd taken the route to Sica's place. Yuri felt a bit wistful, but she had Yoona now, and that was something to look forward to all the time.

 

 

---------------------

Hello!! Thanks for waiting! I hope you enjoyed this update. 

Are you glad Krystal finally told Jess the truth? 

Anyway, I hope you guys are looking forward to what's coming up next because I'm already planning it right now. I will update again sometime next week. I'm taking another summer class and I have to write a lot of papers and read, but I should still be able to update at least once a week.

Take care!! <3

Also here's the necklace I was trying to describe. I got it as a gift a long time ago and I used to wear it all the time, even in the shower lol!!