Come Back

In Heaven

XIIII. COME BACK

As soon as the last traces of angelic grace had faded from the room, Seunghyun let out a shuddering breath and stumbled to his feet. He could not believe what he had seen – Daesung battling a demon! – but nor could he deny it. No matter how impossible the scenario seemed, Seunghyun had been witness to the war between Heaven and Hell. It felt as though his entire world had been its head. Somewhere out there, Daesung was watching over him and doing his best to protect him. Seunghyun had been so certain he would never see Daesung again, and yet he had proof to the contrary. Not only would he see Daesung again, but they could be together for eternity.

And he had nearly ruined it.

Stumbling over to the bedside table, he picked up the bottle of poisonous whiskey and the full glass. He stared down at the instruments of his near death, and he shuddered at the heavy weight of them in his hands. Going to the bathroom, he poured the contents of both the glass and bottle down the tub before washing them away with a strong stream of water. As the water slowly spun down the drain, Seunghyun felt his thoughts clear for the first time in months. The gravity of his choice and what he had nearly done to his family pierced his heart. Cradling his face in his hands, the man sunk to the bathroom floor and curled up into a tight ball – crying for the harm he had nearly caused. In particular, he could not imagine facing Mino. How could he have thought – like a fool – that Taehyun could ever replace a brother. Mino and Taehyun had only been dating for a week, for Heaven’s sake! And if that were not enough, he could imagine how Ji-Hyo would fall apart if he had died. The woman had told him time and again that his nearness helped her not feel completely lost without Daesung, as though Seunghyun helped keep her brother alive with his presence. If Seunghyun had died, both Ji-Hyo and Mino would have lost their siblings and felt their families completely shatter for a second time.

But Daesung had saved him. The quiet, broken shards of Seunghyun’s heart seemed to quiver back into place at the thought of Daesung defending him. His dear Dae still loved him and wanted to spend eternity together, even after everything Seunghyun had done. It was a miracle. Seunghyun felt as though pure gold had sealed the pieces of his heart back together, as though he were a kintsugi masterpiece. He felt more beautiful for having been broken and remade in the light of his angel’s love and devotion. Now he simply had to prove worthy of all of the blessings he had received and live the sort of life that would permit him to be with the beautiful blond for always.

Rising to his feet, Seunghyun moved over to the sink and washed his face. He glanced at himself in the mirror. His eyes seemed haunted, perhaps because he had seen too much, but for the first time since Daesung’s death there was light found there. In fact, his eyes were bright, as though lit from within. A tiny smile tugged his lips. The romantic side of him wanted to say it was Daesung’s love shining in his eyes, but the more pragmatic side noted that it was probably due to the fact he felt a now alien sensation: hope.

Taking a deep breath, he decided to escape the oppressive quiet of his apartment. It would be better, he thought, to go immerse himself in the Christmas spirit and bustling crowds. Seeing the snow and the decorations in the shop windows seemed like a healthy way to spend some time before Mino and Taehyun came over. Maybe he could even convince the pair to watch a certain Christmas movie with him – to keep Daesung's Christmas Eve tradition alive.

Smiling, he grabbed his coat and other affects before heading out the door towards his looming death.

As Seunghyun sought to rejoin the living, the trio of angels had relocated to a nearby park. Taecyeon was in the midst of frowning at Daesung, who was attempting to explain why going to Hell to rescue a demon was more important than reporting to the seraphim. The blond angel finally sighed. “Taecyeon, is it or is it not considered the most selfless, noble thing a person can do if they lay down their life for another person?”

The muscular brunette nodded. “It is. In fact, it is one of the high laws. If a man loses his life for a friend, he gains it in the life to come.” He glanced over at Jiyong. “It’s considered one of the seven great saving graces.”

“Exactly,” Daesung said firmly. “And the only great sin, according to those same laws, is that of despair, right? Only if a person no longer believes themselves capable of redemption are they lost to the heavens, right?”

Taecyeon nodded – albeit it slowly. He was desperately trying to figure out what the mewling demon had to do with the great laws. “Yes,” he hazarded.

“Youngbae gave his life to save Seunghyun’s soul,” Daesung said, widening his eyes in an attempt to emphasize how important the concept was. “He literally laid down his own soul – taking up an eternity of suffering – to save another. If that doesn’t mean he falls under the high laws, I don’t know what would!”

Understanding lit up Taecyeon’s face, making it shine like the noonday sun. “He helped save Seunghyun?” He stood a little straighter. “Then, you’re right. He must be redeemable. Which means…you need back up.” He nodded firmly. “There is no way I can let you two go down there alone. Even though you would be protected by your innate grace, a rescue mission of this caliber needs back up.”

Jiyong, who looked rather like a stunned fish because of the way his mouth kept opening and closing, stuttered, “You mean you’ll help us?”

The brunette clapped a large hand on Jiyong’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze. “Of course, Jiyong. We protect our own.” Taecyeon turned over his arm to reveal a silver sun imprinted onto the skin of his forearm. He tapped it with a strong finger, causing the mark to glow. “The Second Hour Legion should be gathered together shortly. We’ll meet them at our headquarters and leave for Hell directly from there.”

Daesung beamed up at Taecyeon. “Thank you for your help. But…why do we have to go to headquarters? Can’t we go right to Hell?”

Taecyeon shook his head. “The best way to get to Hell is to follow the spiraling path that leads to the blackened bone gates of Purgatory. And if we stop by headquarters, I can make certain you are both appropriately outfitted for the journey.” He took both of their hands in his. “Can’t have you disappearing on me now!” And with that, the angels vanished.

Awareness of the world around Youngbae crept in like a winter wind through the cracks of a window. First came the shuddering sensation that something – everything – hurt. It felt as though his arms were being torn from his chest, like they were being slowly ripped molecule by molecule from one another. A gasp shuddered through his lungs, making the pain intensify, as he attempted to move his fingers. The fresh wave of agony stuttered through his body, and he slowly turned his head to one side. Opening his eyes to examine the situation was a mistake. His throat clenched shut and a sweat broke out across the surface of his tan skin, mingling with the rivulets of blood along his arms. It was his worst nightmare come to life: thick, rusted barbed wire had been wrapped around his arms and chest – suspending him between two great poles. Were he still alive, the air would slowly be pressed from his lungs as he slowly asphyxiated – suffocated by the weight of his own body – but the immortality found in death meant he was only left with the echoing suffering, the feeling that he should be dying. Endlessly dying.

His muscles screamed in anguish at the continued draw of his weight, and it made him wonder how far the drop was before he met the ground. There was a small corner of his mind that thought trying to rip out an arm would be worth it, if it meant he could fall to the ground and stop hurting. One glance downwards, though, assured him that falling would not be an escape from his anguish. Scant breaths from his bare toes was a wide lake of bubbling lava, just waiting to melt away his flesh until only charred bone remained. If he fell into that pit, he would be as surely destroyed as Seungri had been. Panic made his muscles clench, and the barbed wires dug more firmly into his ragged flesh.

At least, Youngbae thought, Jiyong won’t see me like this.

Before Daesung knew quite what was happening, he found himself standing in the heavenly armory. Taecyeon and his assistant, a rather bubbly angel named Eunhyuk, were in the process of helping Jiyong find his armor – leaving Daesung to stare at the rows and rows of glittering equipment. “Just find the one that calls out to you,” Taecyeon was repeating. “There’s a suit in here for every angel!” Daesung’s lips twitched at the extremely annoyed look his trainer gave the brunette; Jiyong hated being ordered about.

As the blond waited, fidgeting nervously, he began to notice the faint feeling of being tugged down the aisle. It felt as though a string had been wound around his rib and someone on the other end was giving it a pull. He glanced over his shoulder, frowning slightly, as he considered whether or not to follow it. One of the other angels – a rather boyish young woman – laughed at the expression on his face. “Feeling it, huh? You should follow it! It’s probably your suit calling for you.”

Daesung his bottom lip. “I should wait for Taecyeon,” he protested shyly. Going off on his own sounded like a terrible idea; in a place this size he’d easily be lost – even with his giant wings.

The other angel laughed. “Come on. I’ll go with you. Taec won’t mind; it’ll save us time!” She bounded over and looked down the aisle in the direction he had been staring. “That way?” He gave a hesitant nod. “Sweet! I love that section. Come on!” This time, she grabbed his hand and began to drag him down the aisle. They made it some distance before the tugging sensation suddenly changed. Daesung stopped short, reorienting himself, and turned to the left. His hand slipped out of the angel’s grip as he began to move faster through the aisles, barely hesitating before turning as he seemed to be drawn further and further into the glittering maze. And then, all at once, the feeling stopped. Drawing to a halt, Daesung looked up to find himself face to face with one of the least ornate suits of armor he had seen since stepping foot in the armory. He let out a slow breath as he considered the supple white leather of the jerkin, which rested lightly over a mail shirt made of glittering silver. As he looked closer, he noticed that the only real decoration on the armor was a touch of silver embroidery at the neckline of the jerkin – giving the impression of feathers. It was perfect in its simplicity.

“You found it,” the female angel said with a grin. “Well go on, touch it!”

He glanced over his shoulder at her. “Are you sure?”

“With the way you ran, that has to be it. Each piece of armor is made for one specific angel, and when they come to find it the armor calls to them.” She shrugged. “It’s so we never have to worry about fit issues, I guess. If you touch it, it’ll put itself on.”

The idea of the armor putting itself on him was unnerving; armor was supposed to be insentient and sedentary. But, what did he have to lose? If it was made for him, it’d work out. If he was wrong, then it wouldn’t move. Right? Giving a mental shrug, Daesung reached out to place his hand on the leather. He was surprised by the strange sensation of what felt like water rushing over his skin – coating it in a slightly cool embrace. When he looked down, he was stunned to find that he was wearing the armor, which was far lighter than he had expected. It almost felt as though he were bare. Somehow he was even wearing grey breeches, a linen shirt, and tall white leather boots to round out the outfit. His swords had even been transferred to new sheaths and hung from twin belts around his hips.

“Man, you look killer!” Daesung turned to give the female angel a crooked smile. “Even got stuff for your wings! That’s so boss.”

Blinking, he looked up and noticed silver plates placed strategically along the feathered bridge of each wing. The placement of each plate seemed to be intended to keep the wings from being broken or ripped from his back; the thought of either happening made him shudder. “Yeah, I guess so.” He gave his wings an experimental stretch – noticing that they were rather, well, large. “Are they always going to be like this?”

“What? Huge?” The angel laughed and folded her arms across her chest. “Nah. You can make them disappear if you need to. But going into Hell, they know they need to be out. Very few demons can fly, so being able to stay in the air is one of the best ways to make sure they don’t dropkick you into a pit of lava.”

He blinked. “Is that likely to happen? Being dropkicked, I mean.”

She shook her head as a wide grin turned her lips. “Nah. You’ll have too many people looking out for you. That’s why so many of us are going – to keep you safe.” So many was certainly one way to put it: The Second Hour Legion was three thousand angels strong! “Eunhyuk and I will probably be assigned to you and Jiyong while Taec makes sure our exit stays clear. Eunhyuk will be able to carry Ji while you and I do the actual snagging.”

“Doesn’t Jiyong have wings?” Daesung tucked his wings back into his sides and turned to more fully face the woman.

She shook her head. “Nah. He’s not the right rank to have wings. Different angels have different abilities. I mean, he was able to make the human see you. That’s the gift of grace! It means his abilities must have finally manifested when he redeemed Youngbae.”

“What? I thought – couldn’t Seunghyun see me because he was dying?”

The woman chuckled. “He could see you because Jiyong imparted his grace to him. Seunghyun hadn’t drunk the whiskey, so he wasn’t dying. It must mean Jiyong is an angel of inspiration. They’re a pretty special class. Normally they keep artists on track or help people find reasons to keep living. They can give someone inspiration or even let them see angels, if they need to. We don’t get many of those!”

“Oh.” Daesung smiled a little. “That’s actually pretty awesome. What – what kind of angel am I?” His wings ruffled as his nerves got the better of him.

But, the woman just grinned. “You’ll see. I’m sure the council will tell you all about it, after our little trip.”

“Amber!” The distinct sound of Taecyeon’s bellow cut through any questions Daesung might have asked her.

“What?” she barked back, turning towards where the other angel was striding  – dressed in armor that looked like it had escaped from Gladiator.

“Oh, you got Daesung into his armor. Good.” Taecyeon paused, testing the fit of Daesung’s jerkin. “Awesome. Right, you ready to lead the charge?” He grinned so broadly at Daesung that the younger angel couldn’t help but feel a little overwhelmed. It seemed Taecyeon not only wanted him to lead the mission but also believed him to be entirely capable of doing so. Daesung gulped.

“Uh, are you sure that’s a good idea? I’ve never even been there..” He ran a hand through his soft blond hair. “I’d just get us lost. You should probably take the lead, Taecyeon.”

The brunette made something of a face. “Alight. How about we lead together? That way we still know where to go, but you still get the credit you deserve. I mean, it was your idea!” Taecyeon gave Daesung’s shoulder a quick squeeze. “Come on, you two. Let’s go get this show on the road. Everyone’s ready.”

When they arrived at where the rows of angels waited, Daesung felt his breath catch. They were nothing short of radiant in their glimmering armor – with their wings all tucked close to their bodies. He noticed that each angel had unique wings, with different colors and sizes. Some angels even appeared to have leathery bat wings, which surprised him. He had thought that only devils had those kinds of wings; but, then again, Amber had said most demons couldn’t fly. And he supposed the wings did not determine the character of their possessor. He looked over at Jiyong, who it seemed had managed to find the glitteriest set of armor possible. It seemed to shimmer from within, like it had been made from golden diamonds and polished rubies. The set even had a rather lovely belt around the waist that seemed to be dripping with jewels. Shaking his head, the blond laughed a little. He had a flair for swag, it seemed.

Jiyong was in the midst of trying to convince Eunhyuk that he really did not want to be carried when Daesung came to a stop at his side. “Daesung, tell him I refuse to be carried.” Jiyong turned to his trainee with a rather sharp frown on his lips. “It’s ridiculous.”

Daesung chuckled a little. “Ji. You have to be carried. You can’t fly.”

Jiyong’s mouth dropped open at the perceived betrayal. “What?” He folded his arms over his chest. “No. I won’t be carried like a child.”

Sighing, Daesung shook his head. “Ji, you need to be carried in order to keep up. But I am sure that being there to see Youngbae and help him will be worth being carried. I’m also sure Eunhyuk won’t treat you like a kid. You’re just…very important. Too important to be left behind, too important to walk.”

Something about Daesung’s words seemed to placate Jiyong at least a little. He at least did not look as though he was moments from punching Eunhyuk for stepping closer to him. “Be respectful,” Ji growled, “or I’ll break off all of your limbs, starting with the shortest.”

Eunhyuk smothered a smile. “Yes, sir.” He gave a playful salute. “I think it’d be best if you rode on my back. It might be a bit hard to hold on because of my wings, but it also means my sword hand will be free.”

Jiyong rolled his eyes. “Whatever. Let’s just get this over with. Youngbae needs us.”

“That’s the spirit!” Taecyeon grinned. Jiyong shot the beaming angel a glare before letting Eunhyun help him onto his back. Once he was situated, Taecyeon nodded. “Right. Let’s go! Remember, everyone, our mission is the extraction of Dong Youngbae. We’ll keep the hoards of Hell busy while Eunhyuk, Amber, Daesung, and Jiyong do the actual snagging. If you notice they need help, feel free to step in. Got it?” He was met with a resounding cheer. “Alright! Let’s fly!”

Seunghyun had been wandering the streets for at least two hours. The morning sun had slowly dissolved the dawn mist as it rose in the sky, and with each passing hour the streets became more crowded. He could hear the pleasant cacophony of families rushing about – mothers calling for their children, a son asking for a particular present, a father trying to convince his wife to buy something less expensive – and smiled slightly to himself. Even the distant sound of Christmas music, sick as he was of it, seemed pleasant. It was amazing what knowing Daesung still existed did for his mood. The stoic brunette had even broke out into a spontaneous dance number while standing in a book store. A little girl in the aisle had gaped at him, which had only made him dance with even more abandon. By the time her mother came to collect her, the little girl had been giggling madly at her weird “Choom Oppa.” For a brief moment, it made Seunghyun wonder what having a daughter of his own would be like – if she would find him funny or annoying.

Daesung had always spoken of wanting a family, perhaps because his relationship with his parents had been so bad. He thought he could at least do better than them, even if he had to raise a child by himself. Of course, in their country the stigma against single parents was so strong that single parent adoptions were simply not allowed. But, Daesung had imagined moving to some other country – maybe China or even America – to adopt. Seunghyun’s heart ached a little at the thought of Daesung’s unfulfilled dream; the man had so much love he could have given a child. Maybe I will adopt one, Seunghyun thought suddenly. Daesung did say there were so many parentless children in the world that one parent was better than no parents at all. I may not be Daesung, but I don’t think I’d be too bad. He smiled to himself. It was something to consider, if nothing else. The nice thing about antiques were they were anywhere in the world. He could easily relocate his business, and the thought of moving to someplace like England did have an appeal to it. The art and furniture there were absolutely amazing – some of his favorites. Or perhaps France. Or Italy! Ji-Hyo and Mino would be certain to visit if he were to live in an art mecca such as those countries.

He was lost in thoughts of happy days spent walking the Italian beaches or exploring the museums of France when he came to a familiar street corner. Seunghyun felt a chill race down his spine, which had nothing to do with the gentle snowfall. It was the crosswalk. The one where Daesung…

Seunghyun drew in a shuddering breath and looked out across the street. It had been so long. So many months of suffering. So many months of not understanding why his Daesung had to be taken. But, perhaps now he understood a little better. From the other side, Daesung had been able to fight for Seunghyun’s soul. That was something, wasn’t it? Though, a stubborn corner of Seunghyun’s mind pointed out, he would not have gotten so lost in the first place if Daesung were still alive. But, he had learned that the past was passed; he could do nothing to bring his lover back to life.

Sighing, he reached over to push the signal button for the crosswalk. There was a good café on the other side of the street where he and Daesung often went to lunch; eating there sounded like a good plan. It was then that his gaze caught on a familiar form across the way. He squinted against the sun, trying to be certain of the identity of the man across the way. His lips twitched. Nam Taehyun, with his earphones in, stood bobbing his head along to whatever music had caught his fancy. Seunghyun would have to bump into him, as they crossed paths, if only to say a quick hello. He imagined the brunette was on his way to Mino’s apartment, which was not too far away. The two had intended to have lunch together before coming to collect Seunghyun, as he understood it. They were a little ridiculous in how many dates they were managing to fit in their first week of dating, but the brunette couldn’t help but find it adorable. His brother was obviously head-over-heels for the sassy baker. 

The signal changed over – letting the pedestrians know it was their turn to cross. Seunghyun smirked and ducked his head a little, preparing to bump Taehyun when their paths met. He was perhaps a third of the way across the street when he heard the sudden sound of tires squealing, protesting the slamming of brakes, but not managing to catch on the slick road. Lifting his head, Seunghyun saw it: The car swerving out of control and heading directly for the crosswalk. An inexperienced driver had been driving too fast, and right in the path of the car was… Seunghyun’s eyes went wide.

“TAEHYUN!”

But the baker could not hear him over the music blaring in his ears. Seunghyun hesitated only half a breath before darting forward, slamming into Taehyun – knocking him out of the path of the car.

Hell was not what Daesung had expected. He had imagined lots of fire and screaming, but they were instead met with a barren wasteland. The blackened bone gates stood ajar, as though they loomed simply for mood rather than any actual purpose. And the pathway into the dusty darkness was empty. Taecyeon seemed to expect it, though, and continued to fly forward with an easy grace. Daesung was having a bit of trouble keeping up – flying took practice he did not have – but the other angels kept giving him pointers on how to do better. When the angels all suddenly soared upwards, their wings spread wide, Daesung looked over to Amber in confusion; none of them were flapping their wings in order to rise. “Heat current,” she called. “We’re riding the hot air up. Means we’re close to the lake of fire.”

And that was when Hell began to live up to Daesung’s expectations.

Before them, stretching as far as the eye could see in three directions, was bubbling lava that hissed and sputtered its ire. Throughout the lava there were smatterings of islands with people trapped on them, wailing in their agony as the heat continuously seared their flesh. In other places rose small mountains, some of which had people chained to the surface while others were in an endless struggle to reach the top in order to escape the heat. The air was all but alive with endless screaming, cursing, and - like a symphony of the damned. But there seemed to be no sign of Youngbae.

The blood curdling sound of a trumpet blaring out a brazen call drew Daesung’s thoughts to a sudden stop. He looked about nearly frantically in an attempt to find the source of the sound. In the distance, he saw an island that seemed to be approaching them quickly and was swarmed with bare, thin trees. “Demons down left,” Taecyeon suddenly called. “Chansung, take ‘em down.”

“Yes, sir!” Another brunette angel and his unit swept down to engage with the island. On closer inspection, Daesung felt his chest constrict. It was not an island, but instead a barge with multiple levels of demons and a vast array of anti-air weaponry on each bridge. Each of the supposed trees were deadly looking pikes and hooks – weapons meant to catch and drag down angelic opponents down to the waiting throngs of enemies. He looked over at Taecyeon and called, “Will they be alright?”

Taecyeon nodded. “They’re the best of the best, Daesung. They’ll be just fine!” He began to flap his wings once more and moved towards something in the distance. “Come on. I think I see him.”

Jiyong lifted his head from where it had been tucked against Eunhyuk’s back, and he stared hard at the small shape on the horizon. Each wingbeat brought the angelic host closer to their target, and two more units were dispatched to deal with approaching barges. Then, as Youngbae’s figure at last came fully into view, Jiyong swore with particular creativity. Amber looked over at Jiyong with upraised eyebrows; she clearly had never heard an angel swear – let alone so emphatically. 

And Daesung could not blame Jiyong for the words pouring from his mouth. Youngbae was covered in blood that ran so freely down his body that it dripped from his toes and sizzled before even hitting the lava. (Who knew they still had blood, Daesung thought in surprise.) The man’s feet were also heavily burned; were he mortal, they would have to be amputated for him to have any hope of survival. His torso and arms were no better. The wire had done its work destroying the man’s flesh and muscle; it was a wonder that Youngbae was still conscious. But, then again, that was Hell’s specialty: suffering without respite. Taecyeon took one look at the situation and winced. “Daesung, we’re going to need someone to hold Youngbae while two others cut him down. If he falls into that lava, it’s game over. His soul will be destroyed.”

Daesung his bottom lip before nodding. “Okay. I’ll go grab him.”

Taecyeon’s brow lifted. “You sure? It’ll be a strain on you, since you’re not used to flying.”

“Yeah, but he knows who I am. He might resist one of you, thinking it’s a demon’s trick or something.” Daesung dived a little lower. “Besides, I’ve got big wings. What’re they for if not supporting a lot of weight?” He flashed Taecyeon a somewhat nervous smile. “Just don’t take long!” And with that he was speeding down towards Youngbae.

As Eunhyuk and Amber sped off to cut the wires. Taecyeon and his unit spread out to keep back any of the barges that got too close to the operation. Daesung drew to a rather sloppy halt in front of Youngbae, causing the man to roll his head back in surprise. The blond angel gave the former demon a crooked smile. “Hey, Youngbae. Ji wants you home in time for dinner.” He carefully flew a little closer. At this range, the heat was nearly overwhelming in its intensity, but Daesung tried to ignore it.

“W-what are you doing?” Youngbae squinted at the angel – confused to see him dressed so splendidly and born by giant silver wings. Last he had seen the man, Daesung had been wingless and engaged in battle with Seungri.

“I’m here to take you to Heaven,” Daesung said firmly. “But I’m going to need you to cooperate. Amber and Eunhyuk are going to cut you free. They’re going to start with one side, further up. When your arm is free, I’ll need you to put it around my waist. Once the other one is free, put it around too.” He cleared his throat. “Then I’ll fly up, and they’ll trim the wire down to closer to your arm. Do you understand?”

Youngbae managed a little laugh. “Sure… I’ve been redeemed. I’ll do whatever you want, Seungri.” He rolled his eyes before letting his head fall forward. Daesung frowned. Clearly, the man did not believe he was being rescued, even with Daesung appearing before him. Well, he would just have to believe it when they got to their final destination. Moving in close, Daesung carefully wrapped his arms around Youngbae. He then nodded to Eunhyuk, who sliced through the first bonds with his sword. When his arm fell free, Youngbae gasped in pain as he lurched downwards - toes skimming the lava. But, he managed to wrap his arm around Daesung’s waist. The blond tightened his grip on Youngbae, keeping him level, even as his wings beat to help them stay aloft. In that moment he was grateful for his armor; the barbed wire would be doing a number on his torso if not for the protection of the blessed metal. As soon as Youngbae’s second arm was free, Daesung rocketed upwards.

High above the lake of fire, Amber, Eunhyuk, and Jiyong met up with the pair. Eunhyuk’s face fell into an expression of pure horror at the sight of the damage that had been wrought on Youngbae’s flesh. “Oh my…”

“Hurry and cut the wires as close as you can,” Daesung ordered, his voice firm. “We need to get him out of here. I – I need to get to Seunghyun.” The angels worked quickly, and soon the barbed wire was little more than tiny tails hanging free – except for the wires still wrapped tightly around the man’s body. Youngbae frowned when his gaze caught onto Jiyong’s, and he twitched a little in Daesung’s grip. “Hold on, Youngbae. Ji can hold onto you as much as he wants once we’re out of here. Let’s go.” Swinging Youngbae up into his arms, Daesung whirled and started back across the lake as though the Devil himself were on their trail. Which, come to think of it, was a very real possibility. There had been a gathering darkness on the horizon that had made a tremor of unadulterated fear rocket through Daesung’s body, and he honestly did not want to find out what it was that inspired such primal reactions.

Even as the legion closed back in around them, Daesung could not shake the growing feeling of dread burning through his chest. Something was wrong - very wrong - with Seunghyun. The moment they rocketed through the gates of Hell, Daesung drew to a halt and turned to Taecyeon. "I need you to take Youngbae," he called. “I need to go.”

Jiyong watched with baited breath as his beloved was carefully passed from one angel to another. “D-do you need me to go with you, Daesung?”

The baby angel smiled at his mentor. “Go with Youngbae. He needs you.” Daesung glanced down at his bloodied armor with an upraised eyebrow. It was perhaps not the best appearance for an angelic visitation, but it would have to do. “Take care of them, Taec. Or else.” With that, the blond whirled away and rushed towards his Seunghyun. He only hoped he was not too late.

----

And there you have the penultimate chapter! We've got one chapter and an epilogue to go. Woo! Aren't you so excited? This chapter is dedicated to midnightminttea and lilspydermunkey for their loving (and at times violent) support of this fic. I love you both <3

Thank you, as always, for taking the time to read. Each of you mean the world to me. Whether it is through upvotes, comments, subscriptions, or even just the rising view count, I appreciate every single bit of love you show! Hopefully this chapter lived up to your expectations. If it did, tell me in the comments. If it didn't, tell me in the comments. Basically, I am asking...

Pleasetalktome. Ineedyou.