(PG-13 Version) Please End This, End Me

In Heaven

Warning, today I've added three chapters (including two different versions of the chapter. Make sure you have read "The Last Image of You" before proceeding.

FYI, this is the version of the chapter that has had the possible triggers stripped down. It includes mentions of what happened in brief terms, just so you have the context for the rest of the chapter. There is still a chance it might trigger, but I have done my best to address those issues.

XII. PLEASE END IT, END ME (PG-13)

[Basically, Seunghyun contemplates how he should commit suicide. He wants to see Daesung again and thinks killing himself is the only way. He eventually decides on using a cocktail of pills, which he prepares and mixes with whiskey. At the moment he sits down to drink….]

It was at that moment that war officially broke out in Seunghyun’s room. Jiyong and Daesung stood on either side of Seunghyun – waiting for the demons to arrive. The curious thing about suicides were that they could only be completed if the forces of evil managed to make it past the angels; a human could not kill themselves on their own. As long as Seunghyun survived until eight-thirty, the window scheduled for his suicide would close, and the demons would fail to claim his soul. Instead, he would die later in the day and proceed to heaven, where he would be able to be with Daesung. And the young angel was prepared to do anything he had to in order to defend his beloved from the demons. He would save Seunghyun's soul.

When Seungri came sauntering into the room, it visibly darkened in the face of his malevolence. Shadows stretched deeper into the room even as the air itself became oppressive, as though they stood in a mausoleum instead of a bedroom. Behind him came an oddly pale Youngbae, he lacked all of his usual swagger and pomp. If anything, it looked as though the demon trainee was a man being forced to go on a shopping expedition instead of staying at home to watch his favorite team play. Jiyong stood a little straighter at the sight of him; he was ready to help Daesung in any way he could.

“If it ain’t the ugly baby angel,” Seungri laughed. “You might as well just step aside and make this easy. There is no way your stupid lover is going to make it. He’s completely given up on himself, which means he’s ours.”

Daesung met Seungri’s gaze before turning his attention to Youngbae. “You don’t have to do this,” he said, his voice ringing with power. “You have the ability to stop this here and now, Youngbae.”

The demon’s gaze lifted to meet Daesung’s for a brief moment. Youngbae knew that it was technically his job to reap Seunghyun’s soul – he was the trainee – and the thought of endless torment would certainly be a good enough motivation to finish the task. Seungri had made it excruciatingly clear what would happen if he failed in this task, and it had made him tremble in fear just thinking of the punishments that would await him if Seunghyun went to heaven. He shook his head, trying to throw off the mesmerizing influence of the angel’s voice.

“Bae,” Jiyong murmured, his voice surprisingly gentle. “Please spare Seunghyun. I know…I know I made a lot of mistakes. You have every right to be upset at me – to hate me – but please don’t take it out on Seunghyun. He’s completely innocent in this. If you want to hurt someone, hurt me. I deserve it. When I should have fought my hardest for you, I was not strong enough to do anything. The day you died, I should’ve just kicked that in the balls,” he jerked his chin towards Seungri, “and never let you go.”

Youngbae began to tremble. “You didn’t love me, Jiyong. Stop trying to pretend you did,” he bit out.

“You’re the only person I’ve ever loved, Dong Youngbae,” Jiyong protested, his voice dropping to a low whisper. “I wanted to make enough money to get us both out of there, so we could go somewhere safe. Selling myself seemed like a small price to pay if it meant saving someone as precious and pure as you. But I made a lot of mistakes – mistakes that got us both killed. I –“ he choked a little on his tears, “I am so sorry I was not the man you needed me to be. I am sorry I did not tell you every day how much I loved and needed you. And I am sorry I left you alone. Please forgive me.”

Youngbae and Jiyong gazed deeply into each other’s eyes. As the moments stretched on, there were the slightest changes in their body language. Jiyong stood a little taller, Youngbae’s shoulders relaxed, a tiny smile teased onto the angel’s lips, and the demon ducked his head slightly – almost shyly. Daesung’s heart began to pound rapidly in the remembered motion of excitement as Youngbae took a slow step towards Jiyong. “I forgive you, Ji.”

Hearing those words, Jiyong laughed happily and moved to take Youngbae into his arms. Before the pair could reach one another, though, Seungri’s expression turned murderous and he snapped his fingers. Thick black chains appeared around Youngbae’s body and crushed his limbs together, causing the demon to topple to the floor. “I think not,” Seungri hissed. “I will deal with you when I get home, fool.” Another wave of his hand made Youngbae vanish, chains and all.

Jiyong gaped at the barren patch of floor. “What have you done with him? Return him this instance!” the angel snapped.

“Yeah, no.” Seungri gave the angel a flat look. “See, a demon has to meet a certain quota of stolen souls or else they get punished. Your stupid little Youngbae was too soft and couldn’t do it. So, now he gets to rot in the really unpleasant part of Hell where they torture people from now until the end of time. I think his torture is going to involve barbed wire and fire, since those are his two favorite things. Because of you, dear Jiyong, he is literally going to spend eternity experiencing the sort of excruciating agony that would kill a mortal. I think it is fitting that you’ve damned him twice.”

“Silence,” Daesung said, his voice cutting Seungri’s words off like a sword. Moving confidently, the angel grabbed Jiyong and pulled him to his side. “Seungri, you have interfered enough. Leave, or else I will be forced to deal with you.” With each word he spoke, Daesung began to glow – this time a nearly white light beginning to gather about him. Slowly, the shadows were pushed back. Behind him, Seunghyun sat the still full glass of whiskey on the bedside table.

Acting on an impulse, Jiyong rushed to Seunghyun’s side and wrapped his arms tightly around the man. He tried to pour every positive feeling into the contact possible. If anything would keep Seunghyun from killing himself, it was an angelic touch. And Daesung was a bit too busy to offer that comfort himself.

A tense silence filled the room as shadow and light met – fighting to dominant the space. Seungri’s malicious beauty was stark against the deepening black that surrounded him while Daesung’s radiance made it seem as though a small sun had risen in the room. As the battle of wills intensified, Seungri took a slow step forward and lifted a hand towards the ceiling. The shadows writhed, curling and twisting, until they resolved themselves into the shape of a horrible black sword in his hand. It was a dreadful thing that seemed to the light into it, creating such perfect darkness that it was black against even the horrible shadows the demon cast. Seungri tested it in in the air – cutting sharply in the direction of the angels. “I think I will rend you to pieces,” he said, his tone cheerful. “And then I’ll take your lover. Sounds like the perfect day to me, getting rid of such a thorn in my side and getting a new pet.”

Daesung did not so much as flinch. His features were schooled into an expression of absolute calm as he watched the demon approach. “Not today, demon. Not today; not ever.” The light around his hand began to concentrate until it formed a long, curved shape in his hand – resolving at last into a sword made of bright blue flames. Glancing downwards, the angel was surprised to find himself suddenly armed; this situation had not been outlined in the manual Jiyong had made him read. But the steady weight of the weapon and flickering heat of the flames felt right in his grip. His gaze lifted to clash with Seungri’s once more.

In a swift motion, Seungri lunged forward – his sword raised high above his head and brought down towards Daesung with frightening speed. The angel lifted his blade in a smooth motion, deflecting the attack to the side. He stepped in quickly and used the hilt of his sword to punch Seungri in the jaw. Stumbling back, the demon growled unearthly curses that made the angel’s ears burn with their profanity. Daesung held his weapon at the ready, waiting patiently, while Seungri collected himself; the stumble had been a ruse meant to draw Daesung close, and the angel had not fallen for it. Seungri spat out his black blood before turning a cruel smile on Daesung. The baby angel deserved to die slowly, but in the given circumstances Seungri was willing to end it quickly. He did not have time to waste on games. Moving in once more, he swiped at the angel, only to find the move parried. The pair began a furious dance of exchanged blows as they moved about the room – flame and darkness biting one another.

It was as Seungri nicked Daesung’s arm with the tip of his blade that Jiyong registered a very important detail: Seunghyun could see the fight. When Daesung was injured, Seunghyun’s breath had caught. Jiyong looked down to find the human’s gaze locked on the battle, and a sweat had begun to gather across his brow. He paled when Daesung stumbled – Seungri having knocked his feet out from beneath him – and let out a breath when the angel had successfully disengaged an attack meant to pierce his heart. Jiyong held Seunghyun a little closer. “Don’t worry, Seunghyun. The baby angel’s got this. If anyone can win, it’s Daesung.” And, for just a moment, it seemed as though Seunghyun had looked up at him.

Seungri chuckled breathlessly. “Look at you, baby angel. You’ve got such fight! I’m almost sad I am going to tear you apart.” When Daesung did not respond, the demon hissed at him and lunged forward once more, his blade snaking out to find flesh.

With a quick twist of his blade, Daesung had wrapped his weapon around Seungri’s in a tight bind. The demon attempted to yank it back only to find it firmly trapped. Daesung met his gaze – his dark eyes seeming to burn with an internal flame – before he snapped his wrist in a quick movement. Seungri’s fingers were suddenly empty as the blade flew through the air in a delicate arch before landing in Daesung’s waiting hand. At first, the darkness seemed to bite into Daesung’s flesh, making him wince at the agony it caused. But then, slowly, the blade seemed to tremble and shudder in his grip. Jiyong’s gaze affixed to the sword as it continued to writhe in Daesung’s hand, and he gasped when he noticed tendrils of silver moving up from the hilt. It looked as though rivulets of moonlight were pouring down the blade, and everywhere they touched the darkness vanished. In a few moments, the entire weapon was a pure silver that reflected the brightness of the angel who held it, and the sword fell still in his grip at last. Daesung let out a slow breath and eased his grip on the hilt.

The demon took a stumbling step backwards. “W-what have you done to my sword?”

Mimicking the slicing motions Seungri had made earlier, Daesung let the sword taste the air as he swung it smoothly about. “It has been purified.” His gaze snapped up to meet Seungri’s eyes. “The time for your destruction has come, Lee Seunghyun. You have lead astray many of the children of the Most High, and for that unforgivable crime you will face the ultimate undoing. The material of your soul will be returned to the fount from whence it came, and you will cease to be. Such is the punishment for squandering the great gift of life you were given; such is the mercy you will be shown.” As Daesung stepped towards the quaking demon lord, the light about him concentrated yet again: this time on his back. Feathers made of pure silver light spilled down Daesung’s back to form into two great wings that trailed lightly along the ground behind him, crackling with the divine energy that raced along each feather’s spine. The angel’s brilliant wings stretched wide as he brought the two swords together, crossing them near the hilt, as he loomed over the fallen shape of Seungri’s body. “Sin no more.” And with that, Daesung brought the swords out to the side – slicing cleaning through the demon’s neck – before plunging both blades into his body. An unearthly shriek pierced the air as the body turned into curling black mist that dissipated as the bright light radiating from Daesung’s body touched it.

Daesung let out a trembling breath and turned to look at Jiyong and Seunghuyn.

“…Daesung?”

The angel’s fingers went limp at the sound of Seunghyun’s voice, and the swords fell to the hardwood with a clatter. “Seunghyun?” Jiyong only just managed to stumble out of the way before Daesung had wrapped Seunghyun tightly in his grip – his wings stretched out behind him. A soft sigh slid past Daesung’s lips as he felt the familiar warmth of Seunghyun’s fingertips lightly exploring the curve of his jaw. “Seunghyun, you’re safe. Thank God.”

“I don’t understand,” Seunghyun stuttered. “W-what is going on?”

“It must be the moment of grace,” Jiyong murmured.

Daesung nodded. It seemed like the only reasonable answer. “When people are going to die, they’re allowed to see the angel that comes for them.” He pulled back enough to look into Seunghyun’s eyes. “I’ve been with you all along, love. Fighting to keep you safe - to save your soul.”

A troubled look crossed Seunghyun’s features. “You saw everything I did?”

The angel sank onto the bed beside Seunghyun and held him close. “I did." His hand curled hand about the brunette's strong jaw. "And I love you even more now than the day I died.”

Surprise colored Seunghyun’s features as his mouth dropped open and his eyes became wide. “Y-you do? But how? After everything I’ve done, you should hate me.”

Leaning close, Daesung smiled. “You took care of Mino, helped Ji-Hyo and Junsu get back together, showed how much you loved me, and even helped with planning the wedding. The other things you did are nothing compared to that, Seunghyun…as long as you promise me two things.”

Seunghyun took a steadying breath, trying to comprehend what he was seeing and experience. “What?” he finally mumbled.

“Promise me you will never give up on yourself, Seunghyun. As long as you believe we can be together again – as long as you believe you can be redeemed – we can be together when you die.” He brushed Seunghyun’s bangs out of his eyes. “Can you promise me you’ll do that?”

“I promise,” Seunghyun murmured. “And…the second one?"

Daesung laughed a little. "Ditch Zico. He's terrible, and you deserve better."

Seunghyun hung his head. "I promise I won't go near him again." He hesitated. "And in return, you’ll wait for me?”

“Whether it’s an hour or a hundred years, I’ll be at your side. I love you, Seunghyun.” And Daesung would never admit it, but tears traced down his cheeks as a perfect smile turned Seunghyun’s lips.

“I love you, Daesung. Always and always and –“

“Forever,” Daesung ended. He then brought their lips together for a soft, perfect caress. Brilliant light flooded the entire room, banishing all of the darkness, as the angel poured his heart into the innocent contact. When he pulled back, he sighed softly. “When the time is right, we’ll be together again. Trust in that. Trust in me. Alright?”

Seunghyun clung tighter to Daesung. “Do you have to go?”

The angel nodded. “I do. Someone else needs me.” He looked over at Jiyong for a brief moment before returning his attention to his beloved. “And your moment of grace is just about up. But… every time you go to sleep, I will be there with you, Seunghyun. And when you eat at the NamCat. And when you go to the wedding. I will always be with you.” He pressed a last kiss to Seunghyun’s forehead before standing – slowly fading from Seunghyun’s mortal sight.

Before Daesung could so much as utter another word, another angel appeared. This angel was different: Where Jiyong and Jaejoong were slim and beautiful, this angel was muscular and seemed to radiate a sort of exuberant energy. He all but beamed at Daesung, who was carefully picking both swords off the floor. “Kang Daesung?” The blond nodded. “Captain Ok Taecyeon, at your service. I have been sent by the High Seraphim, Commander of the Armies of Heaven, Lee Chaerin, to collect you.”

Daesung stared at the stranger. “Ji, who is he talking about.”

“The seraphim, Daesung. The highest order of angels – the ones who guard the boss and make sure that the rest of the heavenly hosts are doing their job,” Jiyong said, shooting a look at the unfamiliar angel.

Daesung nodded slightly. “I see. Well, the seraphim are just going to have to wait.” Taecyeon gaped at the blond even as he sheathed the two swords in the scabbards he had summoned. “Jiyong and I have some unfinished business, and we are running on a very tight schedule.”

“What could you have to do that is more important than answer the summons?” Taecyeon stuttered.

A wide smile tugged the blond’s lips. “If Seunghyun were to commit suicide and go to Hell, he would have died by now. But, there is a second time slot later in the day – one where he dies nobly and goes to Heaven. Between now and then, Jiyong and I need to run a quick errand down in Hell.”

This time, it was Jiyong’s turn to gape at Daesung. “In Hell? What are you talking about, Daesung?”

Going to Jiyong’s side, the younger angel gave his shoulder a squeeze. “We’re going to get Youngbae.”

---

Aww yes! I have been waiting to write that fight since this thing started. -happy dance- I actually used to fence, so I used my knowledge of sword fighting to help write this. I'm pretty pleased with it. Stay tuned for the next chapter, which will feature the journey to Hell. And then comes Seunghyun's scheduled death-date. T.T We're almost there, friends. Are you ready?