ℭhapter One

Just Know That

      “I’m really sorry.”

      Maylin sighed, tilting her head to the side as she ruffled her bangs in frustration, “There’s nothing for you to be sorry for. It’s not your fault that you passed out while serving the customers. You were sick and no one got hurt, so there is nothing to worry about.”

      “But I broke the plates and--“

      “Naeun, it’s fine really. I’m just glad you weren’t hurt.” Maylin smiled, patting the girl on the shoulder, “You’re all healthy now aren’t you? And if you’re still feeling guilty, Min Seok said he’ll be taking a bit off your pay for the dishes alright?” she earned a nod, “Good. Off to work now, customers are waiting.”

      “Wow, having to deal with this at twenty-one, harsh.”

      “You could have helped me, you know.” Maylin whined, turning to pout at the owner.

      The corner of Min Seok’s lips curled up into a lop-sided grin, “I had orders to fill.” He said, gesturing to a small pile of orders by the coffee machine. A sigh escapes her lips as she nodded, making note at how busy the café seemed to be that day.

      It was early September, the heat of summer slowly making its way for cooling autumn to come. The leaves were starting to turn, some already decorating the sidewalks. It was still early morning, the clock hitting a few minutes past ten when a group of students walked in, letting the chilly air enter the café with them. The corner of her lips quirked up into a fond smile when she felt a shiver ran down her back. Maylin wasn’t used to the change of temperature but she had always liked the cold.

      “The table with three guys eyeing you since they came here.” Min Seok smirked, pushing a tray towards her, two hot cups of cappuccino and an iced mocha sitting atop of it. She couldn’t help but marvel at the flower and kitten coffee art on the cappuccinos respectively. Min Seok’s designs were always amazing.

      A blush made a way to her cheeks when the barista’s words sunk in. Flustered, Maylin whined and grabbed a few napkins and four packets of sugar. “They’re looking at Naeun.” She huffed, taking the tray and slowly made her way around until she reached said table.  She gently placed their coffee on the table and smiled, “Sorry for the wait.”

      “No worries. I’m Shi Won by the way, you?” The guy closest to her grinned. The brunette blinked, she had not expected that. “M-Maylin.”

      He repeated her name with a hum, leaning towards her with his chin resting on his open palm, “Say Maylin, what time do you get off?” Maylin’s eyes widened and her fingers tightened around the tray. She chuckled nervously and took a step back, “Umm, I have a full shift today so I don’t get off til midnight.”

      “Oh that’s cool. What about tomorrow then?” he tilted his head, looking at her expectantly. She bit her bottom lip, eyes darting around the café, trying to find some excuse, any excuse to avoid answering and leave. “A-Actually--“

      “She’s not interested,” a voice cut in. Maylin felt a weight around her shoulders, looking up to see a smiling Baekhyun, “can’t you idiots tell?”

      Shi Won scowled, eyes narrowing at the brunet, “And who are you?”

     “Byun Baekhyun, at your service.” He grinned, even doing a little bow, “Now if you’ll excuse us.” Before she knew it, Maylin was stirred away from the table and to the counter where Min Seok was shaking his head, an amused smile on his lips.

      Maylin let out a breath she didn’t know she was holding, resting her head on the elder’s shoulder, “Thanks Baek.”

      Baekhyun hummed, patting her on her shoulder, “Don’t mention it.”

 

 

 

      “Ahh, he’s late.” Min Seok hummed, head tilting up to look at the clock hung over the kitchen door. It was well past two hours since the café opened for the day and he was late.

      Again.

      Maylin couldn’t stop her lips from curling into a scowl, hands tightening on the rag she was using to clean one of the tables. She’ll never understand how Min Seok could be so nonchalant at such behaviour. If it was her, she would have fired his lazy little after the fifth time. She wondered what excuse he would use this time, maybe it would be the same ‘I was helping out an elderly lady’ like a few weeks back.

      Min Seok laughed when he saw the dark look on the brunette’s face, “He likes sleeping in on weekends, you know that. It’s not unusual for him to be late.”

      She snorted, “It’s almost noon.”

      “I’m sure he’ll be here soon.” As if on cue, the bell rang loudly throughout the café instead of the usual soft chime. Looking up, Maylin’s eyes narrowed into a glare while Min Seok smiled, “Late as you usual aren’t you, Lu?”

      “Sorry, I kind of overslept.” he smiled sheepishly before turning to the glowering brunette, lips settling on a smirk, “Morning princess.”

      Maylin huffed and crossed her arms over her chest; scowl deepening, “Do you know what time it is?”

      Lu Han’s smirk fell as a frustrated sigh left his lips, “I don’t know." he ran his fingers through his hair, "Ten something?”

      “It’s eleven. Eleven.” She stressed, “You’re two hours late.”

      “So what?”

      Maylin felt a blood vessel by the side of her forehead popped as it started throbbing, “So what? So what? You--“ Lu Han looked highly amuse as she let out a string of curses in Mandarin while Min Seok patted her on the back to calm her down. Taking in a deep breath, she turned her back to the blond, muttering a few more curses and Lu Han’s pretty sure he heard an ‘I hate you’ thrown somewhere in.

      “Please,” Lu Han scoffed, the corner of his lips curling up into a grin, “you love me, really.” The brunette rolled her eyes, throwing the rag into the sink before grabbing her notepad from the counter, not sparing another look at the blond.

      Min Seok shook his head with a sigh, “You’re too much sometimes Lu.”

      “What?” Lu Han blinked innocently, “I’m just teasing.”