℘rologue

Just Know That

      There was nothing much to say about the café a few blocks down Cheonsa University. It was quaint, with light music, soft lighting and dark wooden furnishings. The walls were a light cream colour; pictures varying from beautiful sceneries to a group of smiling people frame the walls. Single sofas lined against the tall windows while small tables with four chairs tucked in each were scattered around the shop.

      Seoulatte may seem dull and slow compared to the ever famous Starbucks and Coffee Bean, but Maylin would choose it over any coffee shops anytime.

      The first time she stepped foot into the little café was when she was in her first year of university, when the freezing winter was fading to slightly chilly spring. Being an exchange student from China along with her brother, Yixing, financial support wasn’t much of an issue unlike some students, but they would much rather be independent on their own than rely on their parents for money.

      Yixing had come home one night, all smiles and flailing arms. He told Maylin excitedly that he had found a job for them, at a café not that far off campus and was along the way to their apartment.

      “It’s Min Seok’s café.” He explained, “Well, his family’s that is.”

      The surprise was evident on Maylin’s features. Having met Min Seok even before coming to South Korea, she doesn’t recall Yixing ever mentioning that his friend’s family owned a café. Seoulatte wasn’t that known but business was smooth. Min Seok runs it by himself while his parents were busy with the one back at his hometown. The elder had suggested working at the café when Yixing had asked him if he knew any place that was hiring, also mentioning that most of their friends were employed there too.

      Working at Seoulatte, Maylin concluded, was probably one of the best things to ever happen to her. In two years, Min Seok had appointed her as assistant manager along with Jongdae since the two were the only ones who had some knowledge regarding business and accounting. She got to work along with her brother, who made his way up to head chef, made a couple of new friends, met interesting people, watch Min Seok make intricate latte art designs.

      It was perfect.

      A startled gasp escaped her lips with she felt an unexpected jab to her side, “Hey princess.”

      Well, almost.