ℭhapter Three

Just Know That

Edited: 01.10.2016


      Maylin doesn’t particularly like Mondays.

     Her schedules starts way too early for her liking, forcing her to wake up at seven and taking fifteen minutes to walk to campus so she wouldn’t be late for her eight o’clock Nature and Landscapes lecture. Her two hour long Accounting 1 class after was usually the time she discreetly did the café’s accounts, where --much to Jongdae’s amusement-- she would usually get reprimanded for (“please learn to separate your education and work life Ms Zhang.”).

     She really couldn’t wait for her classes to end at half past two so she could get home to take that nap she had been longing for. Not to mention she had to get ready for her shift later that evening at five.

     Mondays, however, were probably Lu Han’s favourite. His classes didn’t start until eleven and they end at the latest, by two. He didn’t have work and it’s usually the days when he picks up random girls on campus and has fun.

     But even so, he still gave Maylin a little of his time every Monday, waiting outside for her class to end.

     “Oh.” She blinked, looking around the hallway, “He’s not here.”

     It had somehow become a routine for Lu Han to walk her back home even if they had a mutual disliking towards each other. It had started a few months back when Yixing had asked him that one time he couldn’t get off work because there were more customers than usual. Maylin didn’t feel comfortable with it since she wasn’t close to Lu Han like any of her brother’s friends.

     She knew Lu Han longer than she knew Jongdae, Sehun even. They met way back before any of them decided to go to South Korea for studies. They didn’t see each other much what with the long distance between Beijing and Changsha. But he and Yixing did video call often and there were a few special cases when they visited one another. Maylin soon picked up his habits and what ticks him off the most. She knew his hobbies, his love for soccer and passion for singing. His affinity with almost all things cute and how his face turns red in embarrassment, attacking her with tickles whenever she pointed it out.

     Maylin’s eyebrows furrowed and the corner of her lips tugged down into frown. She did not need to remember that.

     Footsteps patted down the hallway from behind her and she blinked. She was surprised to find herself by the entrance of the building. “May!”

     She looked over her shoulder, eyes widening slightly when she saw who called her, “Oh, hey.”

 

 

 

     Lu Han cursed under his breath as he rounded a corner, apologizing to a lecturer when he almost ran into him. He glanced down at his watch and let out a frustrated sigh. The little hands were pointed at the numbers, blinking at him, telling him he’s almost twenty minutes late.

     He fished out his phone and dialled a set of numbers before placing it against his ear. He could see the outline of the art department building.

     “Hello?” 

     “Hey, I’m sorry, it slipped my mind! I’m almost--” Lu Han came to a halt, eyes widening when he heard the sounds of a busy road coming through the line, “Where are you?”

     “I’m on my way home?”

     He sharply his heels and walked briskly to the exit, “You’re walking home by yourself?”

     “Ah no, my classmate offered to walk me.”

     “Who--“

     “Hey Maylin, do you think you have time to grab some lunch?” the blond’s eyes narrowed at the voice. Though soft, it was most certainly not a girl, “Who’s that?”

     “My classmate?”

     “Your classmate is a guy?”

     “I have non-female classmates you know.” He could practically hear the eye roll. Lu Han huffed, a frown curling on his lips, “You shouldn’t be out with a guy alone! Where are you? I’m coming to get you.”

     Maylin scoffed, “Oh yes, and walking with you is safe.”

     “Please, like I’ll do anything to you.” He retorted, “Besides, Yixing trusts me.”

     “Well I trust Myungsoo.” So that’s his name, Lu Han made a mental note to ask Jongdae about him later, “Think about it this way, you can go straight home now. Bye.”

     “Oi--“ a curse left his lips as the line went dead.

 

 

 

     “I always forget you’re Chinese.” Myungsoo laughed. He tilted his head to the side to peek over at Maylin’s phone, “Who was that? Your brother?”

     “Nah,” The brunette frowned, stuffing the device into her pocket, “It was my brother’s friend.”

     “Did something happen? You didn’t sound okay.” He looked down at his phone, “Do you need to go to the café? We can skip lunch. I mean, I could always eat there-”

     Maylin laughed, shaking her head. “Chill Myungsoo, nothing happened.” She said, patting him on his shoulder to reassure him, “Let’s just say he’s not really on my nice list, okay?”

     “You sure nothing’s wrong?”

     “Yes,” she nodded, “I’m sure.”

 

 

 

     “Myungsoo?” Jongdae raised an eyebrow, “Kim Myungsoo? Why are you asking about him? How do you even know him?”

     The blond had taken a detour home and went straight to the café as soon as he left campus. Min Seok had raised an eyebrow in question when Lu Han walked in during their lunch break but he just gave a half-hearted wave to his friend before pulling a chair out to sit by Jongdae.

     Said Jongdae, who was busy stuffing his face, had a spoon halfway into his mouth when Lu Han asked him ‘who the is Myungsoo?’ the moment he sat down.

     “I,” Lu Han coughed, scratching his cheek lightly, “I’m just asking. Heard he’s a pretty good photographer.”

     The younger gave him a look of disbelief, raising an eyebrow as if asking ‘do you really think I’ll believe that?’ before turning back to his kimchi fried rice, “He’s the model student in photography, aside from me of course.” He grinned, taking a spoonful of rice. “Pretty good looking,” he hummed, “majority of the girls in the course love him. He’s pretty quiet. Don’t really know much about Myungsoo honestly. Have you asked Maylin? They’re pretty close.”

     Lu Han narrowed his eyes, “How close?”

     Jongdae shrugged, “They hang out before class starts? Text sometimes I guess. I don’t know.” he groaned. It was his turn to narrow his eyes, “Why are you asking me all this anyway?”

     Classmate my , “Just curious.”

     Jongdae rolled his eyes.