Chapter 11: Can We Be Friends?

Switch!

 

    The gang gathered in a restaurant near their school. The restaurant is known for their tasty chicken recipes. A lot of people were there, especially students from YongShin. The restaurant’s interior is Italian-inspired and that makes it more beautiful.

 


"Cheers for Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Bomi, and Joonmyeon shouted with joy. Kyungsoo and Jongin were also there but they kept quiet and just smiled. Kyungsoo was really amazed and beyond satisfied with his performance during the debate. He couldn't believe that he could do that. 

 


"Joonmyeon, you were really great. Thanks for the treat!" Bomi giggled.

 


"I want to congratulate Kyungsoo for the great job he did today. Dude, you were really awesome." Joonmyeon said. 

 


"Thank you guys. I couldn’t have made it without you." Kyungsoo bowed down as a gesture of appreciation then continued sipping at his drink. He thought that if Jongin didn't snap him out of his negative thoughts, he wouldn’t have been able to gather the courage to answer. He wanted to thank Jongin personally. He was somewhat thankful to have a brat like him. He was a nice friend after all.

 


"Hey Jongin! You cheered on Kyungsoo this afternoon during the debate but your words were a little bit harsh." Baekhyun commented. Yes, it was a bit rude but for Kyungsoo, it was fine. 

 


"He kept us waiting for his answer. I just had to remind him that he wasn’t special to keep us hanging, wanting for more. That would be a total waste of time." Jongin mumbled and rolled his eyes. The group anticipated for Kyungsoo’s answer but he decided to ignore him.

 


"Kyungsoo, aren't you gonna bicker with Jongin?" Chanyeol asked, laughing. 

 


"Let's just enjoy this celebration." Kyungsoo smiled at them and continued eating. Jongin felt a little weird and he kind of missed the feeling of arguing with Kyungsoo.

 

 

 

 


They finished the celebration and bid their goodbyes. Joonmyeon offered to drive them home but Jongin refused. He restrained Kyungsoo from going by holding onto his wrist. The little boy did not pull out from his hold thinking that Jongin might tell him something. 

 


As their friends went home, Jongin looked at Kyungsoo but the smaller boy walked away.

 


"Hey! Where are you going?" Jongin shouted while trying to approach him. 

 


"I want to go home, dark kid." Jongin walked beside Kyungsoo. He put his hands into his pockets. 

 


"By the way, about what happened on the debate was just -" He blocked Kyungsoo’s way and started talking.

 


"It's fine. You were great, Kim Jongin." Kyungsoo smiled at him. Jongin felt something that wasn't right but it was reassuring. There was a tickling sensation in his heart. He can't help but smile in return.

 


"You know what, I realized that you're not so bad for a brat. Thank you for cheering me up."

 


Those words from Kyungsoo's lips were remarkable for Jongin. It was the first time Kyungsoo thanked him and knew that the smile he wore was genuine. That image of Kyungsoo will forever stay to Jongin’s heart.

 

 

 

 


As they walked together up to Kyungsoo's house, they both remained silent. Jongin was keeping his cool stance while Kyungsoo looked around the streets like it was his first time seeing those. Surprisingly, the atmosphere between them wasn't awkward. Jongin wanted to share Kyungsoo's happiness today. This was new to him. He never saw Kyungsoo this cheerful.

 


"Oh. We're here already. See you next week." Kyungsoo turned to walk towards his house but Jongin held onto his shoulder. Kyungsoo looked at him.

 


"Kyungsoo." The smaller boy felt something special. Jongin called him by his name.

 


"Sorry for causing you a lot of trouble. You may now stop watching over me."

 


Kyungsoo was surprised. He can't believe that Jongin would say those words. He can’t help but think that maybe Jongin was up to something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Can we be friends?" 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Jongin's eyes were unsteady. It's as if he was going to cry. He shifted sideways in unease. Kyungsoo let out a giggle. 

 


"What's funny?" Jongin asked crankily.

 


"Nothing. I only find you cute." Jongin was shocked. Did he just tell him that he find him "cute."? He blushed in front of Kyungsoo and it caused the little boy to laugh harder.

 


"Okay. Okay. I'm sorry. From now on, were friends. Extremely normal friends." Kyungsoo held out his right hand offering a handshake. Jongin accepted it but things went on differently.

 


Jongin pulled Kyungsoo onto his chest and circled his arms on his waist. Kyungsoo blinked many times to understand what just happened. He thought that maybe Jongin was out of his mind. It was only the two of them under the street light. The stars above were shining brightly. The weather seems to be good. But, the actions of Jongin weren't right. Is he alright? He thought.

 


"What.. What are you doing?" Kyungsoo asked shyly.

 


"Hugging a friend." Jongin whispered. 

 


"Do you do this to Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo asked, joking.

 


"Of course, not. This is how I treat a new friend." Jongin freed from the hug and looked at Kyungsoo's eyes.

 


"Fine. Just rest and take care." Kyungsoo said before he turned away. Jongin just smiled and started walking away. He felt happy for some reason. He really meant to hug Kyungsoo. He knew that it was ridiculous but the voice inside him told him so. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Not too far from where they stood, behind the trees, was somebody who took pictures of them. No one noticed him since he’s got the perfect hiding place. He ducked under the tree, twisted, and aimed for Kyungsoo and Jongin's face. He flicked on his camera for almost the whole time when the two started hugging.


"This is just great." He whispered while he continued capturing pictures.


He wore a black mask so that no one could recognize him. He also wore black jacket and jeans to blend with the color of the night. He was spying because he would use whatever he saw for something.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


During the weekend, Kyungsoo remembered his conversation with Sehun at the Han River. He thought of a way to tell Kyungri's feelings. He thought of writing a letter. He should make it look like it went from abroad. He put out some papers and pens and started writing. He focused as he wrote. His sister was away for work. He noticed that his penmanship didn't change a bit now that he was Kyungsoo. Sehun would never know that Kyungsoo was really Kyungri. 

 


Meanwhile, Bomi came to their house. She just rushed to Kyungsoo's room even without knocking. "Your penmanship didn't change a bit, did you?"

 


Kyungsoo fell down from his chair. She almost scared him to death. "What the heck, Bomi. Don’t you know how to knock first before entering? Geez. You scared the hell outta me." Kyungsoo said in his raised voice.

 


"I thought you were already anticipating that I’d come," Bomi defended. “I’m sorry.”

 


"By the way, what's that for?" She asked.

 


"Remember what I told you about Sehun at the Han River? I’m writing him a letter as Do Kyungri to let him know how she is abroad."

 


"I think I saw the words ‘I. Still. Love. You.’ Was I seeing things or what?" Bomi teased but it was actually true. 

 


"I thought you're planning to move on. If that boy will know that Kyungri’s still in love with him, I’m sure he’ll wait for Kyungri’s return. What will you do if that happens?"

 


Kyungsoo realized that Bomi was right. But up to now, he still got no one who could possibly be in love with him. He’s far from bringing Kyungri back.

 


"I guess you're right. I'll change it." Kyungsoo pressed his hands on Bomi's cheeks.

 


"You’re really a good friend." Bomi removed Kyungsoos’s hands from her face. 

 

 

She stood up and went out of the room. Kyungsoo suddenly received a text message.

 

 

"Little boy, be careful with what you do. You might get in trouble."

 


Kyungsoo knew that the message came from Sarang. He felt wary and decided to be extra careful with his actions. Specifically, towards Jongin and Sehun.

 

 


 

 

A/N:

 

Hey guys!! Sorry for having a short update. Just stay tuned. I hope you liked it even if this chapter is short. I promise to update as soon as possible.

 

I love you <3