Symptoms

Symptoms

Key awoke with a yawn. He looked out the window to see that it was now late at night.The dark sky was empty of stars, but full of clouds. The moon was only a small sliver of its full state

As he sat up, a now warm cloth fell from his forehead.

Assuming that Baekhyun had placed it on his forehead, he was surprised when he looked to his right to see a sleeping Jonghyun next to him.

He was snoring softly as his chest rose and fell gently,his mouth slightly open. He was still firmly holding onto Key’s hand while he slept on the ground next to Key’s bed as he had for the past couple of hours.

“He even looks cute while he sleeps.” Key whispered in amazement.

While still holding onto Jonghyun’s hand, he used his other hand to gently run his fingers through Jonghyun’s golden and brown hair with a small smile on his face.

He briefly stopped for a moment when Jonghyun sighed in content and nuzzled closer into Key’s fingers.

“I wonder where I went wrong?” Key thought while sighing as his heart squeezed in a painful way.

Trying to focus on anything other than Jonghyun for a second, he remembered how awful he felt the night before and how much better he felt today.

Then he came to a realization.

“Jonghyun...he must have been the one to put the cloth on my forehead and bring me medicine. Maybe...just possibly.. he doesn’t completely hate me if he cares enough to care for me the whole afternoon...”

Key stared at the moon that was only a sliver that night as tears of hope and loneliness  began to fall from his eyes.

He decided to take a late night shower to clear his mind and get ready to talk to Jonghyun who would probably awaken from the noise.

He began to think about how how much his life changed since he met Jonghyun as he allowed the warm water to relax his exhausted muscles. Overwhelmed by his emotions he began to sing:

“It’s a mysterious, no, it’s a strange thing, it might be a sickness

I have no strength in my body, I can’t control it

These bad symptoms appeared after I met you

I’m left alone on this black night (in my room that’s filled with thoughts of you)

I can’t do anything and I draw you out as I am in pain all day

Your indifferent face that I can’t figure out makes my breath stop

When I hear your name, it feels like there are thorns on it

My heart feels electrified and numb as if I swallowed rose thorns

My deeply pierced heart, my pierced heart, my bruised heart”

The noise from the shower along with a haunted melody coming from the bathroom awoke Jonghyun from his peaceful sleep. He suddenly stood up and worriedly searched around the room to find Key when he didn’t see him on the bed. Hearing Key’s entrancing voice from the bathroom he calmed down. He walked over to the bathroom door and slowly slid his back down it so he was sitting in front of the bathroom door.

While hearing Key’s heart wrenching singing, Jonghyun began to cry. He never meant hurt Key this much even if he did practically hate him at the time. He regretted every word and was determined to tell Key how he felt. He had to fix this awful misunderstanding.

“...I’m sorry Key.”Jonghyun whispered

A fully dressed Key suddenly opened the door and Jonghyun fell into the bathroom.

“Woah! Are you alright?” Key asked with a very worried expression

“Yeah I’m fine.” Jonghyun answered while rubbing the back of his head while pink tinged his cheeks.

“Forget about me; we need to talk about...us”

Key swallowed nervously as he dried his hair with a white towel to hide his face. He didn’t think he could take Jonghyun hurting his heart again.

“No its fine, we don’t need to talk. I already know how you feel and I don’t need you to say it again. Thanks for this afternoon, but you can leave now an-”

Jonghyun grabbed the towel from Key’s head and put it around Key’s neck in order to pull him closer.

With only an inch(3 centimeters) of space between them he began to talk:

“Key ,I think I more than like you. I regret every word that I said to you in that hallway with all of my being. I was mad because I overheard the words you said to Baekhyun that day after we *ahem* kissed. I was so hurt because I thought you were yet another person who tried to use me, but I realise how stupid I was to think that since I know how kind and amazing you are. I hope you can forgive me and allow me to be your boyfriend. But I can understand if you want nothing to do with me; I was really a jerk an-”

This time it was Key’s turn to cut Jonghyun’s seemingly ridiculous thoughts off.

He wrapped his arms around Jonghyun’s stomach in one of the tightest hugs he had ever given in his life. He buried his head into Jonghyun’s shoulder as a few tears now of happiness and disbelief escaped his eyes.

“Of course I forgive you, you idiot! I can’t believe this all happened because of those words-I didn’t even mean them at all!”

“ I almost lost you because of that…” Kibum trailed off

Jonghyun pressed both hands onto Key’s face and pulled him up so that he was eye level with him.

“I promise that from now on I’ll always believe in you and stay by your side.” Jonghyun said in a serious tone while making direct contact with Key.

The look in both of their eyes told the other how much they were dedicated to the other. It seemed as if they were finally back on track to where they should have been in the first place.

“And, I’ll be the best boyfriend you ever had too~” Jonghyun said while chuckling in an attempt to break the serious mood now that their relationship was mended

Key laughed as he playfully slapped Jonghyun’s arm

“Isn’t someone so very confident today” Key joked back sarcastically

“Yeah, but that’s why you like me~” Jonghyun teased.

“Indeed I do. Although I would guess you like me more from how wide your mouth was open the first day you saw me” Key teased.

Jonghyun’s cheeks turned red as he remembered that day.

“I admit it, I was enamored by your beauty oh great one~”

Key suddenly yawned. His lack of sleep and previous illness finally catching up with him.

“Am I boring you that much?” Jonghyun said with a smirk

“No, I just feel really tired now.”

“I also feel like a weight has been lifted off of my chest now that you’re here.” Key thought silently.

“Come on, let’s go lay down since it’s already this ungodly hour and you need to rest more.” Jonghyun said.

He walked over to the bed and opened the covers as an invitation for Key to join him.

Feeling suddenly tired,he went into the bed without playfully yelling and mocking Jonghyun for being so bold.

As he began to face the other way, Jonghyun pulled him around so they were face to face.

Still feeling confident, he put an arm around Key and pulled him closer to him.

Snuggling into Jonghyun who radiated warmth, Key hadn’t felt this content in a long time.

When he thought Jonghyun was finally asleep, Key looked up at his face with nothing but love. The faint moonlight illuminated his warm light brown hair and gave an angelic glow to his background since his back was to the window.

“I think I could love you Jonghyun...if I don’t already” Key whispered

Key gasped as a smile spread on Jonghyun’s face who was suppose to be  deeply sleeping.

“I think I could too Key...If I don’t already” Jonghyun said with eyes closed but a wide smile on his face.

“I thought you were sleeping!” Key yelled

“How could I sleep with my cute and lovely Kibummie next to me.” Jonghyun said as he squeezed Key even more towards him.

“That’s not fair-and who are you calling Kibummie!” Key yelled

Jonghyun simply kissed Key on the nose in response,loving how Key’s eyes widened in surprise.

“We can talk about how much you love me in the morning, but for now let’s sleep”

Key huffed his breath as he put his arm around Jonghyun’s waist and stubbornly agreed since he was tired.

Both fell asleep in the other’s arms thinking of how lucky and how content they were with the other. Their newfound love had found a second chance.

 

 

 

 

A/N: This is sort of the last chapter. I think it kind of wraps up nicely. This chapter seems r e a l ly long to me, but you know...I tried I guess lol. As always,comments are very welcome and appreciated. Anyway I hoped you enjoyed reading this. Until next time~