I Need You

Symptoms

After Jonghyun shut the door, Baekhyun turned to Key.

“What exactly is your relationship with this Kim Jonghyun?”

Key knew exactly how this would go. If he told Baekhyun how he actually felt about Jonghyun, Baekhyun would make Jonghyun distance himself from Key or demand that Key stay away from him. After that kiss, there was no chance of the second option happening.

“He’s just a some unimportant person I was assigned to create a song with for class. I already had heard how good of a writer he was, so I thought it might benefit me to befriend the sad loner. He only talked to like one other person so it was easy enough. I’m just using him basically.”

These harsh words were the exact opposite of how Key felt.

Jonghyun was much more than a talented lyricist. He had gotten know of how kind,compassionate, and overall amazing he is. Just thinking of his bright smile made Kibum’s heart beat a bit faster. He wanted to protect this bond he had with Jonghyun, even if it meant lying about his true feelings to his brother.

Baekhyun nodded in approval.

“Okay I'm just making sure you're being cautious Kibum. He seemed really irritating and clingy. I don't think he suits you well.”

“Yeah..totally…” Kibum agreed aloud while vehemently disagreeing in his mind.

Unfortunately for Key, this lie to protect his new found love interest actually destroyed it.

It was at this moment Jonghyun could feel the overwhelming pain of his heart ripping apart.

He had forgotten his lyric journal inside Key’s room in his haste to escape. He had only wanted to get it back and possibly steal another glance at Key.

But he had gotten so much more than he expected.

He had thought that Key was different, that he actually liked him for being himself. Now he knew that Key was just like the others: deceiving and self-centered. Jonghyun had finally opened up his previously closed, fragile heart only to receive more pain. He was done with other people,second chances and most of all, everything about Kim Kibum.

As he walked back to his house, Jonghyun’s poor heart encased itself within a case of broken glass and thorned black roses. His potential new love was destroyed by only a few harsh words.

Upon arriving to his room, he slumped upon his bed and silently sobbed until unconsciousness saved him from the harsh reality he faced while being awake.

          ~~~~Next School Day~~~

Key smiled as he spotted Jonghyun down the hallway .

He wanted to return Jonghyun's lyric book. He had looked through it and noticed how many songs Jonghyun had thought of making about him. This was the final sign for Kibum to pursue a relationship with Jonghyun

He smiled as he had something important to tell Jonghyun. He was going to tell tell Jonghyun he liked him and see if he wanted to be his boyfriend.

Jonghyun had the exact opposite feeling towards Kibum this time.

As he saw Kibum approach he scowled and walked into their only shared class.

" Hey!" Key said cheerfully brushing off Jonghyun’s irritated facial expression.

Jonghyun glanced at Key with a cold glare and simply walked to his seat without a word.

Key was taken aback. Jonghyun was always excited to see him but now he seemed so distant.

Throughout the class, Key tried passing several notes to Jonghyun, but they all grew into a pile of ignored notes on Jonghyun's desk.  

Trying one final time, Key sent a note that said:" Did I do something wrong? Respond back to me please T.T..."

Finally Jonghyun opened the note.  

"Wow. This guy actually wants to continue this act” he thought while scoffing.

He wrote back:

“Fine. I finally know what you think and who you really are Kibum. And that person is pretty awful. I just wish I hadn’t fallen for your disguise for so long….Just please, don’t ever talk to me ever again.”

After tossing the note to Key,he focused his attention back to the front with a stiff frown upon his face and distress within his heart.

Key anxiously opened the note as the bell rang.

As class the classroom emptied around him Key remained seated.  A single tear rolled down his cheek. Jonghyun had left without even the slightest glance backwards.

“What have I done that was so bad to deserve these words? Ah..He probably found out how low of a reputation I had at my old school and decided I wasn’t worth his time. Or maybe now that the song has lyrics, he doesn’t need me anymore. I guess I am only useful for music after all. The kiss was probably out of pity as well.” Key thought hopelessly.

His heart felt as if it had been crushed and stomped upon. Without any energy left he packed up his school books into his backpack.

Baekhyun approached Key to walk home. He noticed that Key’s eyes seemed lifeless but figured it was just from the stress of a new school.

The walk home was an uncomfortably silent one. When they arrived at their house, Key looked to Jonghyun’s house at the left and actually flinched from the pain that now was associated with his very name.

He skipped his after school snack and went directly to his room without saying a word.

He was almost always alone, why should he have expected something different now. For some reason, other people his age disliked him. He was exhausted. Finally he had thought that Jonghyun would actually like him but then reality harshly interrupted his budding fantasy.

Tears began to fall like how a ferocious storm begins,slowly but gradually growing in force. Key again fell asleep while thinking of Jonghyun, but this time his heart was filled with pain rather than love.

~~~

 

 

Jonghyun saw Key in the hallway this time. He looked pretty sick,as if he hadn’t slept peacefully all night. He was initially worried, but then he remembered what Key harshly said about him. He looked away indifferently. Although his heart was mostly filled with dislike, there was still a small section that yearned to ensure that Key was sleeping well.

After Jonghyun not approaching him all day, Key decided to try talk to him first.

Key walked up to Jonghyun who stood by his locker and grabbed his wrist. Key dragged them into an empty hallway.

“Why are you being like this? All I ever was towards you was kind and friendly-I don’t think I deserve this cold attitude!” Key yelled irritatedly.

Jonghyun flung Key’s hand off of his wrist.

Jonghyun laughed at how he thought Kibum was so desperate to keep up his facade of friendliness.

“How can you even say those lies and pretend with such a straight face? I’m actually surprised at your dedication to this charade. Like I said before Key, I don’t really like people using me-and I actually trusted you..I even liked you...” He smirked sarcastically “That was one of the biggest mistakes I’ve made so far. From now on, Just don’t appear in front of me anymore-your very face irritates me.”

Jonghyun then walked away from a hurt Key for the second time.

His own heart was also hurting from the stress of having to hurt Key and distance himself from him. He couldn’t love Key-he knew that Key was bad for him, so he assumed that the only way to get over his love was to hate.

 

 

 

 

A/N: The title is actually a BTS song this time also, the dash of angst has appeared! Well..I don't have much to add this time...I guess I hope you liked reading this chapter♥!