The special mortal

Death Feather

"Oh the traitor is here" Jongin pulled me to his side to protect me from the judging looks of the other death feathers. 

I can hear them mocking me but I don't care, I am used to this anyway, being bullied because of the past. Being judged for a thing I didn't do, for what happened which is beyond my control. But even with this I still believed my father is not a traitor. He loved and was loved back and it is definitely not a sin. It was just against the rules made by them.

"I thought she was banned from here?"

"Hah, the council pitied the royal" 

"She doesn't belong here. She should stay on that trashy planet" 

"She stinks"

"Don't mind them, just keep walking" he whispered. 

I continued, heads down low and avoiding the stares from them. Their words hurt but I am more determined to find out why that mortal can see me. We arrived at the closed, golden door where two other death feathers ranked as soldiers stood, guarding the most sacred place with everything they've got.

"We have information for the council" Jongin stated. Making the two open the door for us. 

The council consisted of 9 elderly death feathers welcomed us, their neutral, strict face unchanged even with the sight of me. 

"Kim Jongin. What brought you here?" But yeah, they disregarded me. 

"There is one mortal who can see Krystal, we want to know why"

"A mortal who can see her?" 

"Yes" 

The council looked at each other's eyes, as if communicating with each other with their minds. The eldest of them all faced us back again, pointing at Jongin with his finger.

"You. Burn her soul the moment she dies. That is our decision and it's final" 

"What?" Jongin had his voice raise a notch. 

"I told you. Burn her soul. Now go and keep an eye on her" Jongin clutched his fist and turned his back, dragging me with him as we made our exit.

"I never know how they judge so... unfair" He hissed. I can see how his eyes burned in anger whenever the council have souls burned for petty mistakes. He always believes in fair treatment and he longs to see that in the place he serves. 

"Calm down Jongin, we'll find answers - " 

"No. I'll be the one who'll find the answer. You go keep an eye on her" with that, he disappeared. 

I made my way back to where Amber was to avoid further bullying from the others. I saw her peacefully sleeping on her bed, the red band still visible, the trace of blue suddenly disappeared. 

What?

The color of the band never change and cannot be changed whatsoever. It's permanent until the person dies and the last time I checked her band it was already turning blue. 

"It's you again" I jerked when I heard her speak but now her eyes were looking straight at me. 

She recovered in just a week after I went back to the HQ. Normal mortals spend more than a week to be able to speak after a car crash and brain injury... how come she can do all of this in just a short period of time? 

"Can you speak?" She asked again, her voice faint and weak but still understandble and clear. 

I took a step towards her and observed her. She's definitely a mortal, not a demon or such but how come? 

"Yes I can" I answered. Staring back into her deep brown eyes trying my luck to find something different but failed.

"What a relief" her chest went up and down with her soft chuckle. 

"You can see me?" 

"I wouldn't talk to you if I don't" 

"How?"

"How what?" 

"How can you see me?" 

"I've been seeing you nearly a year now. But you are always too far or sometimes too high" 

"Aren't you scared?"

"Why should I? You don't give off a single scary vibe. I am Amber Liu, what's your name?" 

"What are you?" Ignoring her introduction I threw another question though I don't even know if she'll comprehend the way I did. 

"I'm an engineer and a girl. Are you homophobic?" 

"I'm not. You are a human right?" 

"Of course! What else?" I saw her playful smirk slowly appearing on her face. Is she even hurt with her wound?

"My name is Krystal. I am a death feather" 

"So you guys are true, so this red band..." my eyes widened as she raised her wrist and eyed the red band which was supposed to be invisible to the hunan eye. 

"Is my time near?" She moved her eyes back to me. 

"Yes but..." it took me long before I could answer. Totally bewildered about what was happening. Who is this girl? Why does she do things out of the ordinary. 

"But?"

"The color must turn blue, that means you only got three days to live" 

"I see, now I know why this seem to turn blue the hour before the accident. But it came back to red, so it means?" 

"You got more time" 

"Cool. Nice meeting you Krystal." She gave me a smile before she suddenly drifted to sleep. 

I walked near her and observed her face more. She looked absolutely handsome this close different from what I always see meters away. 

"Be well, Amber"

_

3rd Person POV

"Grandpa, what is she?" Jongin sat opposite to the elderly man with long white hair holding a black feather on his hands. 

He started aging when he retired from being a death feather and became a normal soul who was just waiting for his death to reincarnate back to earth. He was one of the royals who became one of the wisest advisors when he retired. 

Jongin's family maintained their position as the most royal family after the Jung's was ousted but they still maintain a good relationship with the last Jung for their deep gratitude to their family.

They sat on the golden white chair with the most expensive tea and beef in the HQ. Every soul of humans, plants and animals entering the HQ lives like they were on Earth, they await their death and reincarnates back to the world. Theu still need food, water and shelter but not that much for death feathers.

"You say she sees Krystal?" Grandpa repeated, resting his back on the chair as if finally realizing something. 

"Yes, grandpa" 

"Did she recover fast after the accident? Did the color of the band changed?"

"I don't know yet" 

"Check those things up. If one or both of those happens, then the council is in deep trouble" 

"Trouble? Why?" 

"Because that girl might be a Liu, the daughter of the sole leader of HQ millions of years ago before the current leader grew jealous of him and had him burned to death because of falling in love with a mortal" 

"You mean?" 

"That kid might be half human and half death feather" 

"But how come she doesn't die and go back here?" 

"Because the moment she dies, she immediately reincarnates back as one of the descendants of the Liu's on Earth. A spell her father did before he died." 

"I see. The council was already informed about this grandpa" 

"They can't do anything about it. They can't kill her or burn her because she'll reincarnate all at once and I'm more than willing to give my last breath for her, remove the spell and bring her back to her rightful throne. I am tired of the misjustice reigning here" 

"I'll go check on her grandpa" 

_

"Then the nurse was surprised because I can already talk and stuff" It's been a week and I never left Amber's side for a second. 

Whenever her friends were here, I was just sitting beside her and listening to their stories as I let her hold my hand. I learned from her friends that she was waiting for someone she doesn't want to tell them. I wonder who is she? Is she also a friend? But her eyes don't show a deep atreaction for any girl that came in contact with her.

We talk about anything when we're alone, joking and playing games that only requires the use of hands or fingers. I learned a lot from her from her love of milk tea to her insomnia. She teased me about the food she eats because I can't have them and I always get back at her by bragging that I don't need to eat but I can still live for more than a hundred years. 

This morning we were alone and was just talking some random stuff when...

"Krystal" Jongin suddenly appeared by the windows. His face was serious and he means business.

"Hey there death feather who fetched my mom. How is she" Jongin raised a brow and dashed near her. Checking her pulse and head. 

"You recovered quick" he said making amber grin.

"So I've heard. But my head still aches from time to time" 

"Your band went back to red"

"Yeah Krystal told me"

"You are that Liu"

"What Liu?"

"The half death feather and half human"